CO - Columbine High School, 13 murdered, 24 injured, 20 April 1999

What exactly is the point of this? To show how graphic death by gunshot can be? Guns aren't the only means of a violent, graphic death. Has this person stopped to think how having gruesome photos of their dead body sprawled all over the internet might affect their loved ones? And also, as mentioned by @Vail upthread, how it could further desensitize people to violence?

This is a stupid idea imo. I hope the intentions are good and this isn't just some idea dreamed up to get attention and social media likes.

IMO.

Kids nowadays know the score. They know that everyday that they go to school, they realistically could get shot.

There was a website made by the govt that had the lists and lists of threats that had been thwarted. I was shocked. I tried to find it but no luck. Maybe it is not maintained anymore?

This is their way of dealing with this issue. I commend them. They are the recipients of something they cannot control

Regardless of how any of us feel about this campaign, these students who utilize this sticker are requesting that their (potential) killing be seen in all its gore with the real consequences of dying by gun violence transparent to all who wish to see it. It is alarming that teenagers are even in the position to think about this as a possibility. I don't think it will encourage or discourage someone who wants to visit carnage in a community. It certainly is one place where they can have control.

ETA: We know the difficulty of saving victims of semi-automatic fire, as doctors have commented historically. (What I Saw Treating the Victims From Parkland Should Change the Debate on Guns) Students also have access to what their chances are of surviving an attack like Parkland if they are shot.

The sticker is for a violent death regardless of the weapon used.

It's a pox on society, to see that some people are dismissing the tragic murders, leaving the young students feeling so helpless and betrayed that they had to have the conversation about their own shooting deaths.

RSandBBM: This. ^^^^ So. Much. This.

but my initial thought? of course, selfie generation. (Not in a graphic, casual sense, but in a much deeper sense of what that really means, how this generation got there, what it has brought with it, and what it means going forward)

Maybe this (student campaign) will further the conversation?

And here they are again with a possibility of death. How can anyone deny what just happened in Denver?

Bad idea IMO. The crazy people who do these shooting will love it.
I completely agree. But also how sad these were her thoughts at age 16 getting a drivers license. I also believe she'll probably feel differently about this in about 5 years. MOO

"I remember people responding like, 'How could you post those? This is terrible.' That sort of thing. And I just thought about it and I was like, 'That's what that kids lived through that day. That was their reality,'" Tyner said

What do you think about my post re Parkland, speaking of Parkland? It's about how cybercrime can lead to mass shootings, and I propose creating a public list for Cyber Offenders like there are for Sex Offenders, and keeping them away from our children and teens, and off the internet.
FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #4 *Arrest*

Do you also have a conspiracy theory about columbine that not only defends the shooters but offends those who were murdered?

Columbine High School may be torn down because of 'morbid fascination' with massacre
Twenty years after the massacre, the "morbid fascination" with Columbine High School is increasing

June 7, 2019

"The head of the Colorado school district where Columbine High School is located has a drastic proposal aimed at thwarting would-be mass killers and tragedy pilgrims who have a “morbid fascination” with the massacre that happened there — tear the building down.

“The tragedy at Columbine High School in 1999 serves as a point of origin for this contagion of school shootings,” Superintendent Jason Glass wrote in a letter to parents and others in the Jefferson County School District. “School shooters refer to and study the Columbine shooting as a macabre source of inspiration and motivation.”

Glass said troubled people known as "Columbiners" are drawn to the school in the Denver suburb of Littleton.

“Most of them are there to satisfy curiosity or a macabre, but harmless, interest in the school,” he wrote. “For a small group of others, there is a potential to do harm.”..."

If you tear it down, the 'Columbiners' won't come

Columbine High School may be torn down because of 'morbid fascination' with massacre
Twenty years after the massacre, the "morbid fascination" with Columbine High School is increasing

June 7, 2019

"The head of the Colorado school district where Columbine High School is located has a drastic proposal aimed at thwarting would-be mass killers and tragedy pilgrims who have a “morbid fascination” with the massacre that happened there — tear the building down.

“The tragedy at Columbine High School in 1999 serves as a point of origin for this contagion of school shootings,” Superintendent Jason Glass wrote in a letter to parents and others in the Jefferson County School District. “School shooters refer to and study the Columbine shooting as a macabre source of inspiration and motivation.”

Glass said troubled people known as "Columbiners" are drawn to the school in the Denver suburb of Littleton.

“Most of them are there to satisfy curiosity or a macabre, but harmless, interest in the school,” he wrote. “For a small group of others, there is a potential to do harm.”..."

If you tear it down, the 'Columbiners' won't come

I think if they didn't tear down the school right after it happened, then why now? I feel that the same could be argued for any location where terrible things happened. Auschwitz is still "open" and we have a 9/11 memorial over a tomb of bits and pieces of people who we couldn't identify. We remember, we pray, we mourn.

Sure, there are probably creepy people who go to the location as someplace to 'worship' how "great" these killers were, but for others, it's a memory to not let it happen again. It's a place to remember, to be close to those they lost. The argument that people use Columbine shooting as a source of inspiration... that won't end with the destruction of the building. The internet provides videos, pictures and much more information than the outside of a school.

Tear it down. There are people who worship the killers.

Germany does not allow any Nazi stuff. That is different than Auschwitz.

I attended Chatfield Senior High in 1999 which is Columbine's rival high school and is 5 miles away from Columbine. I had many friends from soccer, softball and work who attended Columbine. After the shootings there were many discussions about what to do with the school and the students and staff at the time decided that they would not let this tragedy ruin the school for them and wanted to keep the school except for remodeling the library and cafeteria which were where the majority of the shooting took place and where there was significant damage from gunfire as well as from water sprinklers in the ceilings that went off. So it was decided that they would stay Columbine and they would return to the original school after the remodel. For the remainder of that school year Columbine students attended my high school with each school attending half days. Chatfield students attended in the morning, Columbine in the afternoon with lots of security at the school. In the fall they returned to Columbine. While I do know that some students chose not to return the majority of students and staff proudly returned as survivors. I feel like they would not want Columbine to be torn down now after all that there went through to keep it at the time.

However at the time I do not think anyone could have anticipated that so many sick people would view the school as a source of inspiration for more shootings. Honestly I think at the time there was so much heartbreak and outrage from all over the world that no one thought there would even be another school shooting. However 20 years later it seems like school shootings are a regular occurrence and if it would be safer for the current students and community maybe it does need to be torn down but I feel strongly like those sick people will not be deterred just by the school being torn down. I would love to hear more input from former Columbine staff and students though.

So their idea to thwart people from going on a killing spree is provoking them.

'This is disgusting'; Company debuts Stoneman Douglas school shooting hoodie :(

September 17, 2019

"NEW YORK - A clothing company is facing massive backlash after debuting "school shooting hoodies," including a version that features Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Bstroy, a company which describes itself as a neo-native menswear design house, unveiled the hoodies at a show over the weekend.

The hoodies, which include bullet holes, showcase various schools where students have died in mass shootings.

Along with Stoneman Douglas, other schools include Sandy Hook, Columbine and Virginia Tech.

According to Paper, the company released an artist statement which read, "Sometimes life can be painfully ironic,"

"Like the irony of dying violently in a place you considered to be a safe, controlled environment, like school. We are reminded all the time of life's fragility, shortness, and unpredictability yet we are also reminded of its infinite potential."

People upset with the hoodies bombarded the company's Instagram page with negative comments...."

'This is disgusting'; Company debuts Stoneman Douglas school shooting hoodie

Tearing down that school would be really stupid...I mean that's incredible somebody want to tear down some location just because horrible murders happened there.
We should tear down dozens of houses, hotels, bridges, car parks, movie theaters and so on. It's utterly ridiculous.

Columbine depositions to stay sealed – The Denver Post

The depositions of the parents of Columbine killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold will be kept under seal in the National Archives for 20 years, a federal judge ruled Monday.

No one, including violence prevention experts, will be able to see them until they are unsealed, U.S. District Judge Lewis Babcock ruled. They will be kept permanently in the National Archives, where they are considered to be of historical value.
I am mindful that there is a legitimate public interest in these materials so that similar tragedies may hopefully be prevented in the future, Babcock said. I conclude, however, that the balance of interests still strikes in favor of maintaining strict confidentiality.

Am I the only one who finds this maddening?

Yes and there is so much more to this. In researching columbine, I have been threatened and had a knife pulled on me.
You would not believe some of the stuff that was not publicized.

I bet they did. It's too recent of a thing, too fresh. Most other items you see which are associated with killers are from much older cases. It's still an open wound for many people. Also things like Gacy and
Manson's junk were not part of a crime scene. This car was. He planted a bomb in it which was supposed to go off at 11:00 a.m, but the dolt set it for p.m. instead. Of course it's a good thing it didn't go off, but you'd think if you were trying to kill hundreds of people, you'd double-check the time:doh:

I wonder if the seller on eBay was selling it because he didn't want Klebold's car or because he wanted to get some big bucks? It really gave me the creeps when I read the article and after some thought, I realized its because it was held as evidence all of those years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back