CO - Columbine High School, 13 murdered, 24 injured, 20 April 1999

Very sad. I feel bad for her.

Sue Klebold is a brave woman and in my opinion, a victim of her son and Eric Harris. Very tragic story. It is easy to judge parenting actions after the fact. unfortunately, sometimes you don't know how bad things are getting until something awful happens. Hopefully she can experience some healing from sharing her part of the story

Can someone recap? I just saw a snippet where the mom wished her son would just be killed so the shooting would stop. It seemed like she has spent the last 17 years looking back at everything and examining where she missed something. The guilt and self blame she must feel, and it wasn't her fault.

Seeing all those children's pictures on the show, which I thought were victims. It wasn't -those children had murdered someone. So sad

My Conversations with Sue Klebold
https://schoolshooters.info/my-conversations-sue-klebold

Interesting article. Dr. Peter Langman has profiled Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold extensively.

I know other rampage killer's kins have spoken out in the past either on television and/or news articles.

Marc Lepine
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ear-silence-for-dawson-victims/article968995/

Adam Lanza
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/03/17/the-reckoning

James Huberty
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-James-Huberty-speaks-trauma-30-years-on.html

Daughter of James Huberty, Zelia, speaks out.

Elliot Rodger
http://abcnews.go.com/US/agony-peter-rodger-dad-son-mass-killer/story?id=24317702

Here is an article talking about it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/02/13/sue-klebold-columbine-shooting/80332022/

Mother of Columbine shooter Dylan Klebold breaks silence

The mother of one of the two perpetrators of the one of the worst school shootings in United States history is breaking her 17-year silence, saying she has been wracked with pain and guilt since the incident.

The interview on a special edition of 20/20 came three days before the Monday release of Klebold’s book, A Mother’s Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy.

"The one thing that I want to say is I am so sorry for what my son did, yet I know that saying ‘I’m sorry’ is an inadequate response to all this suffering," a tearful Klebold, 66, said during the interview. "There is never a day that goes by that I don’t think of the people that Dylan harmed."

Sue Klebold said there were small signs that her son was troubled but she wrote them off to teen growing pains and angst. "I remember asking him, ‘Are you OK? Are you sure you’re OK?' "

But she said she could have never imagined that the boy she once thought of as her "happy, precocious, brilliant little child" could overnight become a "hate-crazed gunman."

The proceeds from her book will go toward research and foundations focused on mental illness.

I feel very sorry for her. I bet there isn't a day that goes by where she doesn't think of all the hurt her son caused, and if she had maybe asked him more about what was happening in his life then it might've not happened but I don't think so. I think people are just hardwired that way.

I'm not surprised by the divorce. As someone said, it tends to happen after a tragedy.

Although I would never do something like what he did, I was a bit like him as a teenager. I was a bit different, had a hard time at school, was a bit anti-social and got bullied. I do understand the (massive) difference in our situations but I get what he was going through to some extent. You don't want your parents to worry about you so you keep things to yourself, especially when you're an introvert. Obviously I didn't shoot up a school but I'm pretty sure I had depression and hid that, and I think that was another thing he hid. He hid a lot of things from her. In addition to that, he was hiding his homicidal fantasies which most people don't have. It could also be because he didn't want his parents thinking he's "weird" for having these fantasies, like his classmates do and making one of his few support systems "turn against him". But honestly, I think it's just because he didn't want to cause his parents worry, so I feel bad for the way she feels as I really don't think there was anything she could've done to stop it (except literally forcing him to stay home). There are even still things I haven't told my parents about that time and it's 10 years later and I really can't explain why. Sometimes you just keep things hidden. You'd be surprised at the kind of deep secrets teenagers keep hidden. It is not a parenting fault and I wouldn't call her a bad parent as his siblings turned out fine. If there was an issue with parenting we'd most likely see it emerge with her other children.

I think Eric and him fed off each other and that mixed with the torment caused by bullying caused this tragedy. I don't believe either one's parents played a role and I certainly don't believe the video games they played influenced them.

My Conversations with Sue Klebold
https://schoolshooters.info/my-conversations-sue-klebold

Interesting article. Dr. Peter Langman has profiled Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold extensively.

I know other rampage killer's kins have spoken out in the past either on television and/or news articles.

Marc Lepine
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ear-silence-for-dawson-victims/article968995/

Adam Lanza
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/03/17/the-reckoning

James Huberty
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-James-Huberty-speaks-trauma-30-years-on.html

Daughter of James Huberty, Zelia, speaks out.

Elliot Rodger
http://abcnews.go.com/US/agony-peter-rodger-dad-son-mass-killer/story?id=24317702

I'm over on this site reading but I had to come back over real quick and say how fantastic this is! I will add my own thoughts on Sue Klebold's interview and Columbine when I come back.

ETA: Where is the link to the Dr. Langman profile?

I too watched her interview with Diane Sawyer and was very touched by her. She is truly remorseful for what her son has done. I think Eric and the violent video games were the driving force for him, otherwise he wouldn't have done this. Too bad Dylan's father and the Harris's don't feel the same way... I think the Harris's could have stopped it if they'd kept an eye on what he was up to.

Has anyone actually read the 11,000 page report. I did a few years ago. I actually feel for Dylan's mom. Eric Harris's family not so much. There were so many times that Jefferson County could have stopped this from happening, but didn't. It actually sickened me. Harris, I believe was the leader here, Dylan followed, again, my opinion.

There were actual videos from the attack in the cafeteria. I know I didn't sleep for days after watching them. Thinking one of those shooters could have been my son. I would have missed the signs also. I know I would have, because I did miss the signs of him being depressed and suicidal. Luckily, he's OK now, but I felt like a crappy parent, still do. Probably because I was. He never expressed a desire to harm others, just himself, but in the day to day things with him, he would brush it off. Now, I know what to look for, but I probably might miss it again.

I just feel bad for Ms. Klebold. She has at least tried to explain what happened, unlike the Harris parents.

JMO

From today's walkout - the stories are very touching and heartwarming imo.

No one in her school would walk out with her. So her dad did

"My husband had to go to her school, sign her out, and stay with her," Matrese said, adding that her daughter "didn't care about being the only one because 'Mommy, this is too important to be embarrassed.'"

First-grader also took a stand on her own

"She said, 'I am going to tell my friends I did this, and then next time there will be more of us. That means we are winning.' I knew then that she understood what it means to be a leader, even in the most simple terms," the proud mom added.

Havana wore an orange spacesuit because she thinks it's important for kids to dream big for the future.

'It's not just me this time'

On the other hand, Justin Blackman, 16, was the only student in his school to walk out on March 14.
Today, about 350 of his fellow students at Wilson Preparatory Academy in Wilson, North Carolina joined him.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/20/us/girl-school-walk-out-dad-carlisle-trnd/index.html

Sue’s statement from article.

"There is never a day that goes by that I don’t think of the people that Dylan harmed."

Murdered is the word Sue.

"They raised their boys just like the rest of us,'' said Vicki Dehoff, a former neighbor of the Klebolds, who has known the family for 15 years. "The parents are not monsters.''
But others have wondered how the parents missed so many red flags: The boys' admiration for Hitler. Their obsession with violent video games. Harris' venomous messages on the Internet, prompting one classmate's father to contact police last year after Eric allegedly urged others to kill his son.
And, of course, the boys' stockpiling of an arsenal, including semi-automatic guns, grenades and materials to make some 30 bombs.
What the parents did know and when they knew it remains a mystery.

The Denver Post Online - Columbine - Tragedy and Recovery

Sorry no pity here.

Here is an article talking about it.

The mother of one of the two perpetrators of the one of the worst school shootings in United States history is breaking her 17-year silence, saying she has been wracked with pain and guilt since the incident.

The interview on a special edition of 20/20 came three days before the Monday release of Klebold’s book, A Mother’s Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy.

"The one thing that I want to say is I am so sorry for what my son did, yet I know that saying ‘I’m sorry’ is an inadequate response to all this suffering," a tearful Klebold, 66, said during the interview. "There is never a day that goes by that I don’t think of the people that Dylan harmed."

Sue Klebold said there were small signs that her son was troubled but she wrote them off to teen growing pains and angst. "I remember asking him, ‘Are you OK? Are you sure you’re OK?' "

But she said she could have never imagined that the boy she once thought of as her "happy, precocious, brilliant little child" could overnight become a "hate-crazed gunman."

The proceeds from her book will go toward research and foundations focused on mental illness.

I feel very sorry for her. I bet there isn't a day that goes by where she doesn't think of all the hurt her son caused, and if she had maybe asked him more about what was happening in his life then it might've not happened but I don't think so. I think people are just hardwired that way.

I'm not surprised by the divorce. As someone said, it tends to happen after a tragedy.

Although I would never do something like what he did, I was a bit like him as a teenager. I was a bit different, had a hard time at school, was a bit anti-social and got bullied. I do understand the (massive) difference in our situations but I get what he was going through to some extent. You don't want your parents to worry about you so you keep things to yourself, especially when you're an introvert. Obviously I didn't shoot up a school but I'm pretty sure I had depression and hid that, and I think that was another thing he hid. He hid a lot of things from her. In addition to that, he was hiding his homicidal fantasies which most people don't have. It could also be because he didn't want his parents thinking he's "weird" for having these fantasies, like his classmates do and making one of his few support systems "turn against him". But honestly, I think it's just because he didn't want to cause his parents worry, so I feel bad for the way she feels as I really don't think there was anything she could've done to stop it (except literally forcing him to stay home). There are even still things I haven't told my parents about that time and it's 10 years later and I really can't explain why. Sometimes you just keep things hidden. You'd be surprised at the kind of deep secrets teenagers keep hidden. It is not a parenting fault and I wouldn't call her a bad parent as his siblings turned out fine. If there was an issue with parenting we'd most likely see it emerge with her other children.

I think Eric and him fed off each other and that mixed with the torment caused by bullying caused this tragedy. I don't believe either one's parents played a role and I certainly don't believe the video games they played influenced them.

The parents of Harris and Klebold should not take any blame. They never abused their kids or gave them access to guns.

The parents of Lanza and Eliot Rodger are complete pieces of garbage, IMO.

“Tyner has started the 'My Last Shot Campaign.' She's trying to convince students and others across the country to demand that photos of their murders be published if they're killed in shootings.”

Snip

“Here's how the campaign works: participants place stickers which read, "In the event that I die from gun violence please publicize the photo of my death," on the backs of driver's licenses and other forms of photo ID.“

Columbine students start campaign to share photos of their death if they’re killed in gun violence

“Tyner has started the 'My Last Shot Campaign.' She's trying to convince students and others across the country to demand that photos of their murders be published if they're killed in shootings.”

Snip

“Here's how the campaign works: participants place stickers which read, "In the event that I die from gun violence please publicize the photo of my death," on the backs of driver's licenses and other forms of photo ID.“

Columbine students start campaign to share photos of their death if they’re killed in gun violence

Bad idea IMO. The crazy people who do these shooting will love it.

Bad idea IMO. The crazy people who do these shooting will love it.

I don’t think it’s a great idea either, moo.

“More than 4,000 students across the country have already ordered stickers asking for their death photos to be publicized in just the five days since the campaign started.”

—-

“The #MyLastShot campaign, launched this week, asks school students to sign a pledge asking that if they are ever killed in a mass shooting, the graphic photo of their death be shared across social media.”

Columbine students campaign to spread photos of mass-shooting victims as discussion of gun-violence physiology grows

—-

“Nearly 20 years after the deadly shooting at the school that took the lives of 13 people, today's students at Columbine High School have started the campaign to turn the tide in the psychology of gun violence.”

Columbine students want images of their deaths publicized if they're victims of gun violence

Last edited:
This is where young people realy don't have enough wisdom to understand why this doesn't work and is a bad idea. We are already so desensitized to violence - it is a huge factor in why this happens to begin with. Her energy is better spent on stickers that say "Hugs, not Guns"

This is where young people realy don't have enough wisdom to understand why this doesn't work and is a bad idea. We are already so desensitized to violence - it is a huge factor in why this happens to begin with. Her energy is better spent on stickers that say "Hugs, not Guns"

I agree with you. I think that their poor judgement in this decision will not result in few shooting, but will instead have the opposite effect and produce fodder for society's insatiable appetite for violence.

It's a pox on society, to see that some people are dismissing the tragic murders, leaving the young students feeling so helpless and betrayed that they had to have the conversation about their own shooting deaths.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back