Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I am concerned, the student does have a point. University already knew there were issues with the tennis coach, but they let the student stay, continue to pay tuition, go to classes and get credits. The coach was dismissed by the University, and University had to know that the student didn't play tennis, but they let him stay and study. As far as we know, he wasn't cheating while in school, and got the credits fair and square. Now they plan to nullify all the credits he got, not allow him to transfer credits to other schools, and they kicked him out without following their own procedures for kicking someone out (they claim because they are kicking him out because of what happened during his admission, and not because of what he did while in school so these procedures don't apply). However I am not a lawyer, so don't know if lawsuit has any merit.

No link, but back when I earned a Master's in Education I read many journal articles & research reports.

One stated that the strongest predictor of ACT/SAT score was -- wait for it --

Zip Code

That could be simple to factor in. If there are say 100 groups of scores by zip code, set up percentile groups.

If you live in the most 'successful' zip codes, your score receives zero adversity points.

If you live in the 'least successful' your score receives as many points as there are groups.

But -- the students still have to handle college-level work.

As far as I am concerned, the student does have a point. University already knew there were issues with the tennis coach, but they let the student stay, continue to pay tuition, go to classes and get credits.

As far as we know, he wasn't cheating while in school, and got the credits fair and square. Now they plan to nullify all the credits he got, not allow him to transfer credits to other schools, and they kicked him out without following their own procedures for kicking someone out

However I am not a lawyer, so don't know if lawsuit has any merit.

I am not a lawyer either, but the lawsuit seems to have two grounds:

A. "They are voiding my earned credits"
B. "They kicked me out with out following their own rules"

I think he has a stronger point in regards to point "A", even with a private school. In short, can a private school refuse to issue a transcript to a student for any reason? Or, is the issuance of a transcript by the school a contract that the student is entitled to if he paid tuition and earned the grades? My guess is that he has a valid point in regards to point 'A' and the issuance of a transcript is a contract.

In regards to point 'B', I think many courts have held that private groups do not need to follow their own rules and that they are also free to put unfair "spins" on interpretations of the rules etc. In short, the rules of private groups can be fair, unfair, well thought out or arbitrary. So, I am thinking he will lose point 'B'.

Last edited:
Was there even an accountability system to these admissions? Did the coaches have a roster of all of their names or did the fake participants just disappear from notice without action from the coaches? Is this what Singer knew- that only a few coaches / trainers needed to be paid off and no one else any higher up?

Certainly coaches would have easily seen that names on their roster never showed up or if they did, were clearly not qualified or interested. I have a feeling that there was a lot of "one of those again" shoulder shrugging and that coaches understood something like this went on but didn't want to put their jobs on the line to report it to USC administration.

I assume there was no requirement for them to account for the progress or continued academic competency of these participants, unlike the big money sports like football and basketball where it really paid to keep an academically poor but sportwise excellent player in the roster.

I think USC Administration must have accountability for ALL these students to fulfill the honor that was given them for their outside academic "accomplishments"
Totally agree with accountability . If say 40 kids on that roster and only 39 shows up , who was responsible for looking why that one highly sought after place was not being used . A place cant just melt away without people noticing or asking questions .
As a parent in the UK who has a daughter ready to graduate from a Russell group university ( uk equivalent of USC etc ) I would be livid if money and status had jeopardised her place . She worked dam hard to get to her 1st choice uni and a scheme like this has destroyed many kids dreams .
Those ' in the know ' runs far deeper than those charged , even if they didn't know full story , suspicions must have been there somewhere along the chain of applications , admin , admissions and team admin and staff .

I am not a lawyer either, but the lawsuit seems to have two grounds:

A. "They are voiding my earned credits"
B. "They kicked me out with out following their own rules"

I think he has a stronger point in regards to point "A", even with a private school. In short, can a private school refuse to issue a transcript to a student for any reason? Or, is the transcript a historical record that the student is entitled to if he paid tuition and earned the grades? My guess is that he has a valid point in regards to point 'A'.

In regards to point 'B', I think many courts have held that private groups do not need to follow their own rules and that they are also free to put unfair "spins" on interpretations etc. In short, the rules of private groups can be fair, unfair, well thought out or arbitrary.
Is he one of the students that knew? If he didn’t know, I agree. If he did know, he entered fraudulently.

Is he one of the students that knew? If he didn’t know, I agree. If he did know, he entered fraudulently.
I don't know what he knew or didn't know, but the university either knew or had to know that he wasn't a tennis player. They investigated the coach, they dismissed the coach, obviously this student was not playing tennis. They allowed him to continue to study, to pay tuition, to earn credits, and now they want to nullify all of that. If they wanted to kick him out, seems like they should have done so long ago.

I don't know what he knew or didn't know, but the university either knew or had to know that he wasn't a tennis player. They investigated the coach, they dismissed the coach, obviously this student was not playing tennis. They allowed him to continue to study, to pay tuition, to earn credits, and now they want to nullify all of that. If they wanted to kick him out, seems like they should have done so long ago.
Well, it is indeed a “sticky situation”.
Trying to remember the movie, anyone? :)

ETA: Nevermind, Just remembered, “It’s a Wonderful Life”.
Jimmy Stewart to Donna Reed. Lol

Last edited:
Those ' in the know ' runs far deeper than those charged , even if they didn't know full story , suspicions must have been there somewhere along the chain of applications , admin , admissions and team admin and staff .

I suspect you are right. At the same time, there seem to be two general types of university athletes:- scholarship - non scholarship

Scholarship athletes in any sport are carefully tracked and accounted for. Likewise, non scholarship athletes are also carefully tracked and accounted for in the big money U.S. university sports like football and basketball.

But... these students were non scholarship and playing in non big money sports. There could well be considerably less accounting as to which athletes were, well... athletic. Then factor in that there is going to be some natural attrition from these teams such as: "Course work is hard and... I realized that I was never going to Wimbleton- so I quit the tennis team".

Thus, a coach who kept the number of uhmm..... "irregular" recruits to a low number could probably mix in their non playing with natural attrition: "Ronnie Hi Dollar? He had the potential to be a great rower- He just never came back to the team. Something about a broken shoulder and a French ski slope".

I am not saying that such a coach would have no scrutiny over players and that there would be no need to "gift" other University staff, but there could just be far fewer questions and thus fewer people to "gift".

Answering that question with any degree of accuracy is probably going to be impossible as there is a big incentive for him to say that he did not know and refuting him would be hard.

In the end, however, I think his attorney's argument is going to be: It does not matter whether he knew, or did not know. He paid the tuition and earned the grades. Therefore, the school has a contractual obligation to give documentation to that effect (transcript).

If I were Georgetown, I would quickly do just that. As it has been pointed out, they were well aware of "irregularities" with the tennis team and there is a good possibility that others were taking bribes as well. Yet.... Georgetown only took strong action when the scandal went public.

Who wants more bad publicity and a continuing lawsuit? Heck, kick him out, ban him from campus, send his transcript in the mail, and be done with the whole matter.

And then when they showed up nobody was going to notice they are not minorities?

It's not always easy to tell what race or ethnicity someone is, particularly if someone is of mixed-race. I know a family where the mother is Asian and the father is white - one child looks Hispanic, one child looks white (with dark blond hair), and one child looks Asian. The schools can't even be bothered to check if student athletes actually play the sport they claim to play, how would they ever check if students are the ethnicity or race that they claim to be?

I think with the mug shot it has something to do with a federal crime vs state crime, but.....don't quote me on that!!!! In other news....

USC Women's Rowing on Twitter

This tweet from the USC crew team did not age well

https://nypost.com/2019/05/06/this-tweet-from-the-usc-crew-team-did-not-age-well/

No rowing experience? No worries, according to a posting for the University of Southern California’s crew team that appears to have foreshadowed the college admissions scandal.

“Want to become a Division I athlete? Look into joining our Trojan Rowing Family,” USC Women’s Rowing posted on its official Twitter account in August 2018.

“No previous rowing experience necessary,” it added, providing fodder for sarcastic comments after Lori Loughlin and her hubby Mossimo Giannulli were accused of paying $500,000 to get their daughters into the school as competitive rowing recruits — even though neither was an athlete.

Another laminated poster obtained by TMZ for this year’s fall season tryout reads: “No experience? No problem.”

“Yes, it’s missing how much will it cost you?” user @magdalena1914 tweeted in response along with laughing emojis.

Well, rowing doesn't require much skill other than being able to keep a rhythm and being athletic, so in theory you would not need experience. Any athletic person would likely be able to do it provided that they were not being asked to be the coxswain (which does require experience). They would be looking for people who were strong and fit, basically.

And then when they showed up nobody was going to notice they are not minorities?

Lol...you can claim to be anything you want, it is not like these things have definitions. So much percent of this or that, there would be a firestorm if anyone tried to make that distinction. Nor do you have to wear a badge saying "minority student" when you show up. No one would notice, or care for that matter.

My sister used to say she was African-American for example, even though she was of European heritage, because she came from Africa, lol. She was not lying, she actually was African, although people might not perceive her as such.

OT/Related

SAT to add "adversity score" that will factor student hardships

The adversity score will take into consideration a student's neighborhood, family and school environments and then generate a number based on those factors.

And people will promptly use that information to game the process.

The problem with that approach is that it does not take individuals into account. You might come from a low income tough neighborhood, but your family could have strong values when it came to education. So how do you make that distinction? It would end up giving people unfair advantages if a University used that as a factor.

People who are capable will excel at school, irrespective of what neighborhood they come from. I can say this with certainty, having taught before at a mission school with kids from both poor and relatively wealthy backgrounds, the kids who really "get it" succeed no mater who their parents are, provided that the parents have imbued them with positive values. On the other hand, people who come from low income neighborhoods are generally less capable, which is why they live there in the first place. It is those negative values which are passed on to their kids basically from birth that cause the problem, and it is extremely difficult to erase poor nurture once it has happened. Putting those kids into a elite school later on using a special pass does not change that.

There is a certain level of hypocrisy involved. On one hand we say that we should not consider the prestige of the environment a particular student comes from (ie wealth) as a factor in admission, then we turn around and say the exact opposite when the environment is not prestigious.

It's not always easy to tell what race or ethnicity someone is, particularly if someone is of mixed-race. I know a family where the mother is Asian and the father is white - one child looks Hispanic, one child looks white (with dark blond hair), and one child looks Asian. The schools can't even be bothered to check if student athletes actually play the sport they claim to play, how would they ever check if students are the ethnicity or race that they claim to be?

The thing is that nothing forces you to play that sport when you show up. The University hopes you do, but unless they give you a scholarship linked to participation, they can't force the student to play if they would rather focus on their studies.

Totally agree with accountability . If say 40 kids on that roster and only 39 shows up , who was responsible for looking why that one highly sought after place was not being used . A place cant just melt away without people noticing or asking questions .
As a parent in the UK who has a daughter ready to graduate from a Russell group university ( uk equivalent of USC etc ) I would be livid if money and status had jeopardised her place . She worked dam hard to get to her 1st choice uni and a scheme like this has destroyed many kids dreams .

Nobody "lost" their place and had their "dreams destroyed". People apply to many schools, those not accepted at one institution likely got accepted somewhere else. If you were not accepted at the slightly less prestigious school, you would not have been accepted at the more prestigious one either.

Only about a third of the students accepted in many of these elite institutions actually show up at the start of the school year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member