Found Deceased CA - Jennifer Michelle Lorber, 30, (from Colorado) Malibu, 23 May 2019

This is just one of the things that makes me furious for those who go missing. Then they assume that the person committed suicide, so they focus on that rather than doing true investigating and trying to find the missing person.

I’m still reading the thread so I’m responding as I go.

Trying not to be OT, but as someone with a psychiatric history (Bipolar) and who has had missing persons reports filed on me (with the information provided that I was suicidal) this bothers me to.

Like, someone could murder and hide me and it will be assumed I offed myself. I also feel there is a lot less urgency when someone is labelled suicidal (there shouldn't be).

Btw, I turned myself in when I found out there was a report filed on me, so as not to waste police resources.

Very sad outcome. Condolences to family and friends. I hope the Sherrif Dept or local LE that filed the original reports about JL does some internal review and soul searching on how to describe a missing person accurately. I don't understand why the mental health issue was even raised in the first place by LE? Also, to get the racial description wrong is something that shouldn't happen in this day and age and certainly not in a multicultural city like LA.

For the record, I'm not convinced of suicide at all. I think that as many as 10% of suicides are not really suicides. There also has been no official determination on cause of death. I was reading an article today about how the one surviving victim of a serial killer (Long), actually had written a suicide note, the day before she was abducted outside of church. How easily people could have arrived at a false conclusion. Then I found this very interesting local Malibu story questioning the suicide theory with facts that I havent seen posted before:
The Suspicious Death of Jennifer Lorber at Paradise Cove - Is Foul Play Suspected? - The Local Malibu

The camera last recorded her walking up the stairs toward the RV/Trailer area. Yet her backpack was found on the beach and turned in. She did have a visitor at the motel. Very curious what the coroner will say. Was her body really that close to Paradise Cove for 6 days?

Trying not to be OT, but as someone with a psychiatric history (Bipolar) and who has had missing persons reports filed on me (with the information provided that I was suicidal) this bothers me to.

Like, someone could murder and hide me and it will be assumed I offed myself. I also feel there is a lot less urgency when someone is labelled suicidal (there shouldn't be).

Btw, I turned myself in when I found out there was a report filed on me, so as not to waste police resources.

I agree with you and thank you for sharing. I too am troubled by LE’s over focus on mental health history in missing persons cases for the reason you state and others. I am retired from mental health services now but even in these enlightened times i feel ignorance and insensitivity about mental illness continue to negatively impact many people’s lives. In this case and in others handled by LASD I felt there was a premature dismissal of other possible scenarios and was disturbed by the sloppyness displayed in reporting easily verifiable information like age & ethnic description. In my experience, info regarding mental health status provided by family may be inaccurate, incomplete, exaggerated or uninformed. And it is my theory that in some cases families are “forced” to characterize the MPs as fragile because otherwise it’s hard to get police to investigate. A psychologist won’t diagnose a patient through hear say, yet from what I have seen police are doing just that
and often utilizing it to justify inaction . Additionally, I consider it a gross violation of privacy to publicize unsubstantiated, speculations about potentially stigmatized health conditions. While I do see where *gathering* this information is important to investigations, it is not necessary to inform the public of these suspicions in order to solicit their engagement. It biases people’s perception of what may be relevant to report.

Statistically speaking depression/anxiety/substance issues are widespread epidemics. There’s a wide range of conditions that fall on that spectrum however, and the overwhelming majority of them do not involve actualizing self harm. If Jennifer had been found safe, I had wondered how she would feel about never being able to shake “SUFFERS FROM DEPRESSION” from search results of future employers, new friends or dating prospects. While it appears her condition ultimately did contribute to her disappearance, it did not contribute to her recovery which was simply a matter of using the city’s resources for the purpose they were intended. This tragedy was made moreso tragic by the fact that most of what those following Jennifer’s case came to know about this well loved talented individual is that she endured a common complex chronic condition. It made her no less deserving of an intensive search considering all possibilities . I was dismayed by the LASDs tactless premature over generalizations and frustrated on behalf of her family. I got the sense that LASD did not exhibit sufficient compassion, concern or urgency in assisting them.

The camera last recorded her walking up the stairs toward the RV/Trailer area. Yet her backpack was found on the beach and turned in. She did have a visitor at the motel. Very curious what the coroner will say. Was her body really that close to Paradise Cove for 6 days?

Does anyone know where exactly this camera was that captured her walking up the stairs toward the RV/trailer area? Was she going to her car? Because the M Motel where she was staying was not within walking distance.. its about 7.5 miles away.

For the record, I'm not convinced of suicide at all. I think that as many as 10% of suicides are not really suicides. There also has been no official determination on cause of death. I was reading an article today about how the one surviving victim of a serial killer (Long), actually had written a suicide note, the day before she was abducted outside of church. How easily people could have arrived at a false conclusion. Then I found this very interesting local Malibu story questioning the suicide theory with facts that I havent seen posted before:
The Suspicious Death of Jennifer Lorber at Paradise Cove - Is Foul Play Suspected? - The Local Malibu

Thank you for sharing this article, VV. I'm wondering about the last visitor. Its a shame we don't know more.

I actually think the percentage of suicides is an underreported statistic. I think many overdoses are actually suicides but are reported as ODs unless the person leaves a note (which isn't that common).

NIMH » Suicide

OT and ONLY to show how high suicides are in the US...2nd leading cause of death in ages up to 34, 4th thereafter, in 2017. So it is far from extraordinary, unfortunately.

Again, not speaking specifically here...just as the issue seems to be out there as one of the possibilities. I too think many are overlooked, ruled as accidental, probably far more than murders are disguised as suicide but jmo.

Hi folks, I'd just like for anyone who reads this to not pursue or push any line of investigation of foul play, there is no cause for it. Her visitor on her last day was a life-long friend and left several hours before Jenny was last seen. The security camera in question is one from the Paradise Cove Beach Cafe. Her family and close friends have every reason to accept her passing as self induced. Again, please, in interest of her people being able to deal with this momentous loss and move on, please do not give true crime bloggers and youtubers a reason to make this situation more complicated than it already is. Yes her bag was turned into lost and found and was found on the beach, however scent dogs tracked Jenny from the landing at the top of the stairs back down the to the beach. There is every possibility that it was simply too dark at the time of Jenny's descent back to the beach for the camera to pick her up. Again, I appreciate all the work and support everyone here provided throughout the duration of the investigation. However, at this time it is reasonably believed that Jenny took her own life and that there was no foul play involved, at all. Her parents have lost both of their children in less than five years and each barely into their 30's so please take great care with what you voice here and elsewhere regarding Jenny. This has been an impossibly difficult time for all of us involved. Thank you @ludakristen , she most definitely was an incredibly sweet and kind person - we can all learn from her example.

Last edited:
Hi folks, I'd just like for anyone who reads this to not pursue or push any line of investigation of foul play, there is no cause for it. Her visitor on her last day was a life-long friend and left several hours before Jenny was last seen. The security camera in question is one from the Paradise Cove Beach Cafe. Her family and close friends have every reason to accept her passing as self induced. Again, please, in interest of her people being able to deal with this momentous loss and move on, please do not give true crime bloggers and youtubers a reason to make this situation more complicated than it already is. Yes her bag was turned into lost and found and was found on the beach, however scent dogs tracked Jenny from the landing at the top of the stairs back down the to the beach. There is every possibility that it was simply too dark at the time of Jenny's descent back to the beach for the camera to pick her up. Again, I appreciate all the work and support everyone here provided throughout the duration of the investigation. However, at this time it is reasonably believed that Jenny took her own life and that there was no foul play involved, at all. Her parents have lost both of their children in less than five years and each barely into their 30's so please take great care with what you voice here and elsewhere regarding Jenny. This has been an impossibly difficult time for all of us involved. Thank you @ludakristen , she most definitely was an incredibly sweet and kind person - we can all learn from her example.
Thank you very much for coming back and letting us know. I wish for everyone to have the power to find their peace with her passing.

Please note in viewing the posted link that "the local malibu" is a self-published editorialized blog in which local, Cece Woods, haphazardly chronicles Malibu happenings and offers her opinion on topics of interest to the community. While I appreciate much of her commentary, the local malibu is not a mainstream (ie rigorously fact checked) news source. Perhaps Cece would consider retracting/deleting this item as it lacks substance and is not in the grieving family's best interest.

Please note in viewing the posted link that "the local malibu" is a self-published editorialized blog in which local, Cece Woods, haphazardly chronicles Malibu happenings and offers her opinion on topics of interest to the community. While I appreciate much of her commentary, the local malibu is not a mainstream (ie rigorously fact checked) news source. Perhaps Cece would consider retracting/deleting this item as it lacks substance and is not in the grieving family's best interest.
Curious, what facts are incorrect and/or refuted?
It's clear that some are ready to accept suicide as the cause.
However, the Medical Examiner / Coroner has not made an official determination. Finding the truth is not about suppressing theories or facts. It would be a lot better if some report makes you uncomfortable, that you logically and factually prove it false. We don't come here to disrespect the fallen or their families. I'm here to get to the truth.

Curious, what facts are incorrect and/or refuted?
It's clear that some are ready to accept suicide as the cause.
However, the Medical Examiner / Coroner has not made an official determination. Finding the truth is not about suppressing theories or facts. It would be a lot better if some report makes you uncomfortable, that you logically and factually prove it false. We don't come here to disrespect the fallen or their families. I'm here to get to the truth.

The article’s main claim is that her body couldn’t have been in the water for the entire time of her disappearance—because it would have been found sooner. I believe that argument shows lack of knowledge of what happens with drowning victims. (They sink, and rise to the surface after several days. Salt water is more buoyant than fresh water, but not enough for a drowning victim to float immediately.) They had dive teams searching—but that sort of search isn’t infallible. I bet the dive teams would be the first to agree.

The paragraph about the friend who visited her makes some nasty insinuations, but doesn’t really have anything to be refuted. It’s heartbreakingly common for friends and family of a suicide victim to only realize afterwards that someone was acting strangely.

Obviously, that there’s some crime in the area is a fact that doesn’t need to be refuted. There’s some crime everywhere in the country.

The article says that she was making long-term plans. Well, suicide isn’t a logical action, and depression can fluctuate.

I can’t see how it’s relevant that her backpack was found on the beach. Actually, it makes foul play seem less likely, I’d think. (The crime-in-the-area type of random attack isn’t going to stage a suicide.)

So, as I see it, the only fact in the article that’s an issue is the camera that captured her leaving the beach, but did not capture her return. An explanation for that was offered up-thread. I don’t know enough about camera lighting needs, and the lighting situation at the time—it would have been the middle of the night—to know whether that’s a valid explanation. (Note that if the camera is reliable 24 hours a day, in all weather conditions, and foul play was involved, her body still had to be put in the ocean somewhere, and then drift to the place she visited last.)

Is there any possibility of it being an accident? Swimming alone in the middle of the night would be a very dangerous, and cold, thing to do, but people have done stranger things. (Or walking in the surf—earlier in the thread slippery rocks were mentioned.)

All the above is my opinion only.

Last edited:
@VeryVeritas No one has a disinterest in the truth here. However others are more aware, apparently than yourself or Cece of the harm that can be done by spinning this toward wrong doing or conspiracy/neglect. I am the first to say, as I have been that the police came to a conclusion far too soon and without sufficient evidence. However, they turned out to be correct despite the investigative incoherence leading up to her body being found. I promise everyone here if there is the slightest hint of impropriety regarding the coroner's report that I will alert all of you and i will stop at nothing to get to the truth. That being said what Jenny's family and loved ones need is time to deal and heal. Jenny's parents have lost their only two children in the span of 4 and a half years. Jenny's loved ones have lost an impossibly bright light to utter darkness and none of them need people on the internet theorizing about possibly foul-play. I do not want her cousins, friends, father or mother stumbling onto a youtube video 5 months from now making spurious claims or posing pointless questions regarding Jenny's death. Again, if there is evena chance of foul play I'll flay the earth to get answers for Jenny's family and friends, but until them have some respect and show some decency so that we don't have to talk her mother and father out of conspiracy theories and flights of fancy caused by true crime youtubers and the like. Thank you all again and welcome newcomers to the case. I hope all of you take the time to actually read the entire thread before posting in the future.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back