Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three. Three daughters?

If so, isn't it likely at least one of them would have at least told her husband? As I recall, media reports until now have portrayed "The Family" as a united group, for example, in hiring Greenspan et al., but it's looking as if this isn't so. Wonder who his actual client / employer is?

If so, isn't it likely at least one of them would have at least told her husband? As I recall, media reports until now have portrayed "The Family" as a united group, for example, in hiring Greenspan et al., but it's looking as if this isn't so. Wonder who his actual client / employer is?

Greenspan has been retained by the 4 children, jointly.

That's fascinating. I read it in the online edition very early today. Wonder if the Star decided to pull the article at the last minute? As I said, it struck me as a very risky piece to run.

The article is showing up on other news links, maybe the Star is holding out for the Saturday edition, or..?
rbbm imo.

Barry Sherman’s son raised concerns about Apotex founder’s investment strategy and business competence: Sources
"Greenspan, who represents the four Sherman children, responded that "Jonathon Sherman and his siblings have honoured the request of law enforcement that they not engage in interviews or discussions with non police agencies."

Instead, in a letter to the Star, Jonathon Sherman said he has prepared "comprehensive written responses" to each question posed by the Star and sent them to the Toronto police detectives who are investigating the murders.

"Although I believe that the Toronto Police have complete responses to all of Mr. Donovan's misleading questions, I will also arrange an interview with Detective (Brandon) Price at his earliest convenience to further elaborate on, and if necessary explain, the details which I have provided to him in response to the inquiries made on behalf of the Toronto Star," Sherman wrote."

How ironic, Donovan is shielding the identity of the sources of his recent media articles for much the same reason the Sherman Estate file is sealed, which he has appealed.

Something’s up IMO. Aside from the veiled insinuations that everyone closest to the Shermans could be a potential suspect, I think so could one or more of his sources. It reminds me of an unknown person throwing spaghetti at the wall in an attempt to create pretrial doubt.

Not to forget a possible reward of $10 million is at stake. If Donovan is working in that direction, good for him!

Since the adoption of the JSPA in 2017, journalists no longer have to explain to the courts why their sources should be protected. Instead, the burden is now on the side of those seeking to obtain the information to justify why the move would be necessary.”
Supreme Court urged to use new law to protect reporter’s confidential sources

I read the article as more than a veiled insinuation, and it seems to point a finger directly at one person. Or am I reading too much into it?

I’m thinking of his Donovan’s other recent media report as well and insiders who are apparently aware of very private financial details between not only the couple but also involving Honey’s sister, now Jonathan and his sisters. That spans a wide direction of Sherman confidants willing to speak out, all under the condition of anonymity.

As has been said, follow the money. Who benefitted the most financially from these murders.?
I agree completely with your comments about js and questioning his business acumen or lack thereof.
And his questioning his fathers investments and competency is apalling, and a reflection of his lack of character imo. Barry earned the money, he could spend it as he pleased. Js appears entitled beyond words.

Agree totally

Agree totally

I suspect that js’s real issue with his fathers relationship with frank d’angelo wasn’t about the money that Barry invested in frank’s ventures. It was more likely about Barry having a closer relationship with frank than barry did with his own son. Even at the memorial js made comments about Barry not being around. Barry seemingly compensated for not being close by loaning or giving js money.

I guess I am left to wonder why Barry chose to have it that way- what did he see in js that kept him distant? And how upset was js about this?

Barry was a work-a-holic. They are mostly gone from their childrens' lives, wed to their jobs and/or see their role as provider.

Many parents who are nowhere near the Shermans' wealth levels also give their children money instead of time.
Esp. these days when downtime is often scarce. IMO

Barry was a work-a-holic. They are mostly gone from their childrens' lives, wed to their jobs and/or see their role as provider.

Many parents who are nowhere near the Shermans' wealth levels also give their children money instead of time.
Esp. these days when downtime is often scarce. IMO

I agree, BS was a work-a-holic and wouldn't have had much time to spend with his kids. That's a given imo.

I also think JS resented his father investing many millions in losing ventures with FD'A because those financial losses meant he would get that much less in his shared inheritance. BS wanted to expand Apotex which could have been a financial gamble (JS is apparently selling off Apotex) and BS desire to donate a large portion of his estate would be a blow to JS's inheritance. Also, giving Honey hundreds of millions didn't ensure that she would use the money wisely.

Despite his father funding his business ventures, JS's sense of entitlement seemed to have no bounds.

Barry gave to many, The Winter kids who had big issues including criminal.

Who knows who else he gave money to.

It is interesting that Barry is pictured in unflattering terms, but people sure didn’t mind taking his money

[B said:
Barry Sherman’s son raised concerns about Apotex founder’s investment strategy and business competence: Sources[/B]
By Kevin DonovanChief Investigative Reporter
Thu., June 27, 2019
In the spring of 2015, upset with what he saw as reckless business decisions, Apotex billionaire Barry Sherman’s son Jonathon floated the idea to his three siblings that their father was incompetent and unable to manage the family’s business affairs, according to three sources with knowledge of the matter.

This came at a time when Jonathon and Barry were having tense discussions about how the Sherman family fortune should be spent. Specifically, according to an email exchange he had with Barry over two days, Jonathon disagreed with what he saw as his father’s reliance on “gut” feelings instead of sound business plans. Jonathon also wanted more money invested with his own ventures, and less with his father’s friend, businessman Frank D’Angelo.

Hmmmmm....<modsnipped>

It is a bizarre thought I know , but Jonathon himself floated the idea to his three siblings that their father was incompetent and unable to manage the family’s business affairs , maybe he was seeing more problems than just the D’Angelo situation

<modsnipped off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonathan does not come across as wonderful in the Star article. You can bet the Star's editors fact checked everything in anticipation of a legal action from JS.

JS, is likely pretty bright, with an Engineering degree from Columbia. Did JS have an independent career (not involved with Barry) prior to his Storage endeavors? That would be relevant to his motivations.

In family empires, it is not unusual for the heirs to attempt to overthrow the king. History is full of these stories. The basic motive presented by the heir is, the king is incompetent, and the heir is the only one astute enough who can save the family dynasty. The heir attempts to secure the family's support against the king.
These revolts over leadership usually end badly.

The Star article tends to put JS in a bad light. But what if JS was right and BS was losing it. Maybe Fd'A was milking BS for millions?

Even though I still believe in my original theory that an ex-business partner seeking revenge was the cause of the Shermans' demise, I am a little less sure after these revelations.

The Billionaire Murders by Kevin Donovan | Penguin Random House Canada
"A top journalist crosses the yellow tape to uncover new details about this shocking crime in high society.

Billionaires, philanthropists, pharmaceutical giants, socialites...victims. Barry and Honey Sherman seemed to lead a charmed life, but the world was shocked in late 2017 when their bodies were found together in their elegant Toronto home. First described as murder-suicide, it was a grisly scene: the two were positioned side-by-side on the deck of their basement swimming pool, suspended from belts tied to a railing. "
"Toronto Star investigative journalist Kevin Donovan has been covering the story from the beginning, interviewing more than a hundred people. He has uncovered much new information that will shed light on the disturbing double murder, and into the unusual lives of a storied couple."

Paperback $26.95

Ebook
$14.99

Jonathan does not come across as wonderful in the Star article. You can bet the Star's editors fact checked everything in anticipation of a legal action from JS.

JS, is likely pretty bright, with an Engineering degree from Columbia. Did JS have an independent career (not involved with Barry) prior to his Storage endeavors? That would be relevant to his motivations.

In family empires, it is not unusual for the heirs to attempt to overthrow the king. History is full of these stories. The basic motive presented by the heir is, the king is incompetent, and the heir is the only one astute enough who can save the family dynasty. The heir attempts to secure the family's support against the king.
These revolts over leadership usually end badly.

The Star article tends to put JS in a bad light. But what if JS was right and BS was losing it. Maybe Fd'A was milking BS for millions?

Even though I still believe in my original theory that an ex-business partner seeking revenge was the cause of the Shermans' demise, I am a little less sure after these revelations.
I don't think it is that uncommon for younger people to think they're superior in many ways to their elders (ie they 'know' everything, even without the same intelligence or life experience, right?). BS was a proven brilliant mind obviously, but I see no indication of that kind of similarity with his son. In fact I saw online a brief thing that he had written and I recall noticing a spelling error, which stood out to me. May not mean much to some, but when it is there for the world to see, and you're the offspring of a great mind and self-made billionaire, it stands out to me.

Now to hear that he accused his father of being incompetent based on a decision/direction he was taking with his OWN company (after bringing it up from nothing to the status it was at the time of his death), and to even be discussing his inheritance with his siblings (as if it was already theirs, before their dad was even dead), leads me to think that he simply disagreed with whatever it was his dad was thinking of doing at the time. I wonder if whatever it was, for whatever reason, was important to BS for the direction of Apo, and perhaps agreed upon by his long-time partner JK, and if that is why JK got the axe. Or even if JK didn't necessarily agree, perhaps his contribution was to continue the company in the direction BS had wanted it to go.. to complete that aspect of it which BS had started. If BS had been showing signs of losing his marbles, I have a feeling we would have heard little inklings of this along the way from others, over the past year and a half. jmo.

The Billionaire Murders by Kevin Donovan | Penguin Random House Canada
"A top journalist crosses the yellow tape to uncover new details about this shocking crime in high society.

Billionaires, philanthropists, pharmaceutical giants, socialites...victims. Barry and Honey Sherman seemed to lead a charmed life, but the world was shocked in late 2017 when their bodies were found together in their elegant Toronto home. First described as murder-suicide, it was a grisly scene: the two were positioned side-by-side on the deck of their basement swimming pool, suspended from belts tied to a railing. "
"Toronto Star investigative journalist Kevin Donovan has been covering the story from the beginning, interviewing more than a hundred people. He has uncovered much new information that will shed light on the disturbing double murder, and into the unusual lives of a storied couple."

Paperback $26.95

Ebook
$14.99
Good find dotr!!

I just wanted to note that it is not available until October 29th, and is in pre-order status.

On Sale: October 29, 2019

Pages: 320

ISBN: 9780735237032

Publisher Viking

Categories Biography & Memoir Business Non-Fiction

I don't think it is that uncommon for younger people to think they're superior in many ways to their elders (ie they 'know' everything, even without the same intelligence or life experience, right?).
Snipped

If BS had been showing signs of losing his marbles, I have a feeling we would have heard little inklings of this along the way from others, over the past year and a half. jmo.

I think it was hypocritical that JS still tried to involve his dad and borrow money for his business if he thought his father was becoming incompetent. I find it appalling that he would go behind his father’s back to get his sisters to agree with him regarding his father’s stability. However, as mentioned, this is not a new thing to try to overthrow a patriarch.

And, I agree if BS was was or showing signs of dementia, it would have been all over these threads. Imo JS does not have the genius or business savvy that his father had....not even close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member