Sievers Sidebar #5

Just thinking this "marathon" pursuit of justice issue out loud. On June 28, 2015, a beautiful and accomplished Mother of two young children was ambushed and clubbed to death with hammers, in her own home. That was over 15oo (one thousand five hundred) days ago when she returned home from a weekend with her family in Connecticut. The 3 men who are accused in the crime, have all been living, gratis, in the Gray Bar Hotel chain for at least 1,2oo (one thousand two hundred) days. Curtis Wayne Wright has already rolled over on his accomplices and bargained for a 25 (twenty-five) year sentence. Now, we just found out JR's attorneys need a hearing in a couple of weeks (maybe October 2019) for a decision on the latest request to separate his trial from one of his co-conspirators. (I didn't even factor in the time for an appeal if their request is denied!) And the delays will go on and on. This is so frustrating when one considers not one of the defendants has yet to be tried 4 years after the first arrest.
Just pointing out: Three years, eight months, and 22 days after Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, World War II ended!

No, nothing of significance. It still looks awful from the outside and will need a lot of work just for that area alone. All of the fencing is trashed...the pool was let go and I believe the cage is damaged as well. There were many showings on the house...some even late in the evening...it seemed like maybe people just wanted to gawk. The sale of the house was a shocker...but then if it's someone possibly relocating from the east coast, they'd see that home as a steal! I'll try to post some pictures when I'm back there this weekend.

Wow. You'd think the outside area would have been restored, at least, for the sake of first impressions. I know I'd find that off-putting. I was kinda taken aback the panel in the pantry door hasn't even been replaced (per the link IQ posted).

I'm sure you're right, no doubt some viewers were gawkers. I didn't think of it as being a steal for anyone, but that makes sense. It's a bit of property to everyone else, we're invested in the 'personal' I guess.

Fingers crossed the new owners are good people with children who bring a good vibe to the place again, like Teresa and the girls did. That can only be good for the neighbors. Tysm!

@IQuestion Thanks for the links & great posts!

I've looked at the pictures of the house a couple of times now. The panel in that pantry door is seriously pi$$ing me off. The buyer at auction must surely have had some knowledge of the history of the house. Why not replace the door, if nothing else. Maybe it's just me, but I think that's lousy.

I remember we all discussed JRR & MS being tried together and expected JRR's attorneys to move for a solo trial. I know we talked delaying tactics, so shouldn't be surprised. At this late stage of the game, I guess I am. Though it's not the lengthiest time I've trial watched from arrest to trial, it's frustrating as hell. I can only imagine the pressure on Teresa's family, it must be horrendous.

(To save making another post) @AZlawyer Any idea what the chances are of the Judge granting JRR a solo trial?

:):)DEBBIEG!!:):) woohoo! (Head slap....I'm a little slow.) So it sold once at auction, (by the lender's rep) and now these photos are from the investor, who is selling it to the public at a retail price? OK, I got it. (Or maybe not.)
Looking at the pictures gave me a sad feeling....like walking through the home of a dear friend who has moved away. Eeerrrgh...
I wish this case would finally come to trial. Something about all these delays is really disturbing. If everyone else can wait patiently, I will force myself to be patient, too.
A. L. E. R. T. S. :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Man accused of killing Teresa Sievers files motion for standalone trial
Attorney in Sievers case files motion asking for separate trials
Yes it sold at foreclosure auction on Jan 2019 at about 280,000 and then again on July 27, 2019 for $380,000 without much improvement. Doesnt look like the kitchen floor was replaced. Still looks stainef. According to @mckazpm in post above, "It still looks awful from the outside and will need a lot of work just for that area alone. All of the fencing is trashed...the pool was let go and I believe the cage is damaged as well".

I too would like to see this case come to trial this year. So much overwhelming evidence. Seems like are attorneys are dragging their heels on purpose.

<snipped>
(To save making another post) @AZlawyer Any idea what the chances are of the Judge granting JRR a solo trial?

Have we seen the motion to sever the trials? I could see a separate trial being granted here. There might be evidence presented against MS, like motive or consciousness-of-guilt evidence, that is not admissible against JRR but might prejudice a jury against him. Or they might have incompatible defenses planned.

Have we seen the motion to sever the trials? I could see a separate trial being granted here. There might be evidence presented against MS, like motive or consciousness-of-guilt evidence, that is not admissible against JRR but might prejudice a jury against him. Or they might have incompatible defenses planned.

I didn't think so but I just read @IQuestion 's quote so I am thinking maybe?? o_O
Now, we just found out JR's attorneys need a hearing in a couple of weeks (maybe October 2019) for a decision on the latest request to separate his trial from one of his co-conspirators.

::waves to everyone:: I've tried to keep up but I fear I am way behind. I still loathe this damn software. lol I will never get used to it. :mad:

I posted it in the trial thread. While you're here... isn't having two juries supposed to address the issues of having a joint trial?
JRR's defense has filed a motion to sever. No idea how long that would delay the trials if they're tried separately.

But MS also filed one in October 2017 and was unsuccessful, so hopefully this will be too.

https://matrix.leeclerk.org/Cases/Search

Attachments

• Sever (2) (1).pdf
    126.7 KB · Views: 4
I am shocked this motion to sever wasn't filed earlier. I kept looking for it. I've never understood how they were going to have vigorous defenses for either of them by trying them together. Yes, they are both going to go after Wayne, but both Mark & Jimmy will need to be able to point the finger to each other, also. Filing at this late date is strictly strategic - delay, delay, delay again. However, hopefully Mark will go first and his trial will take place as scheduled. Not holding my breath though. FWIW, I know it happens - criminal defendants being tried together - but it is RARE. I've heard of and read about it but I have never actually witnessed it.

This motion will be granted, IMO. It's a capital case and they will err on the side of caution. Otherwise, it will be a huge appellate issue.

I am shocked this motion to sever wasn't filed earlier. I kept looking for it. I've never understood how they were going to have vigorous defenses for either of them by trying them together. Yes, they are both going to go after Wayne, but both Mark & Jimmy will need to be able to point the finger to each other, also. Filing at this late date is strictly strategic - delay, delay, delay again. However, hopefully Mark will go first and his trial will take place as scheduled. Not holding my breath though. FWIW, I know it happens - criminal defendants being tried together - but it is RARE. I've heard of and read about it but I have never actually witnessed it.

This motion will be granted, IMO. It's a capital case and they will err on the side of caution. Otherwise, it will be a huge appellate issue.
Good to see you back Beach!

Wow. You'd think the outside area would have been restored, at least, for the sake of first impressions. I know I'd find that off-putting. I was kinda taken aback the panel in the pantry door hasn't even been replaced (per the link IQ posted).

I'm sure you're right, no doubt some viewers were gawkers. I didn't think of it as being a steal for anyone, but that makes sense. It's a bit of property to everyone else, we're invested in the 'personal' I guess.

Fingers crossed the new owners are good people with children who bring a good vibe to the place again, like Teresa and the girls did. That can only be good for the neighbors. Tysm!
I saw those pics and I got chills re the kitchen ones. My kitchen looks similar and I still get a chill walking by my pantry door

BEACH welcome back

I posted it in the trial thread. While you're here... isn't having two juries supposed to address the issues of having a joint trial?

That's one option available to judges, but it doesn't address all the potential issues. Every case has to be considered separately.

^^^ exactly

Briefly met the new couple who were moving into the Siever's home on Sunday...both seemed very nice. Did not mention anything about the home...just welcomed them to the neighborhood. Spoke with several other neighbors as well and we all have high hopes that this eyesore of tragedy and horror, may finally bring new love & life to the home. It's a beginning for some to hopefully heal...and move forward with a TRIAL! So, nice people, but they've got their work cut out for them...roof, fencing, cage, pool, landscaping and appears to need some TLC inside too if IQ's pictures were current. Roofers were there on Saturday and worked on several areas...and pulled the solar pool panels off, which had been tarped over.

Does anyone know how a high profile trial will be handled in Lee County.. as far as how they would accommodate a high volume of spectators? I've seen other posts where some of you would like to attend the trial and I'm wondering how that will work if there are too many..

Wow, someone bought the house. I hope they can find some type of peace in it. I would feel haunted. I do hope the new owners can overcome the horror that occurred in the house and make the house a home.

State's response to JRR's motion to sever attached. There are 6 pages but I've only done the first 3 relevant ones. (The files from Lee County are too big to upload without editing.)

Also filed are an order for MS to incur costs for deposition transcripts (I made it 106 depositions). And JRR's motion to strike the death penalty (21 pages) with the State's response (107 pages).

Tomorrow is also the last scheduled pre-trial conference before the trial is due to start.

https://matrix.leeclerk.org/Cases/Search

Attachments

• State Response - Motion to Sever (1).pdf
    102.8 KB · Views: 3
Sievers attorney said they are not ready for an October 1 trial due to severance motion granted to Rodgers which allows him to have a separate trial from Sievers.
Sievers lawyer claims that motion granted changes their strategy.

Rodgers attorney is hoping to be ready by Oct. 1 but can’t say for sure right now.

The motion hearing is set for Sept. 9 at 8:30 a.m.

https://www.winknews.com/2019/08/22...ime-after-rodgers-was-granted-separate-trial/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo
Back