COLD podcast listeners?

Occam's Zebra

Reaction score
I've listened to the first two episodes of COLD: The Susan Powell Case Files. Anyone else listening?

I didn't follow the Powell case when it was breaking, but listening to this podcast is giving me hives. It includes excerpts from Josh Powell's audio journal, as well as audio from videos his father (Steve Powell) made. Steve was obsessed with Susan and pledged his love for her at one point early on; he'd accidentally left his video camera on in the car, so the camera picked up his admission and her response.

It's incredibly creepy but I'm downloading a few more episodes.

I just today posted something in the general thread about Cold. Loved the podcast, found it to be very well researched and put together.. I followed the case and still learned a lot from the podcast. I wish something would lead to finding Susan’s body so her family can have a little bit of peace. They’ve been thru hell!

Wanted to add here that Dateline is doing a special on Susan.
The DM claims there is some new evidence that will be revealed.
Consider the source, so I didn't want to get our hopes up too much.
Haven't listened to the podcasts yet but am planning to do so.

If there's any recent evidence on the Dateline show I can post it here.
If I miss something, feel free to post it here -- I think this is the right thread to post 'new' news ?

I remember hearing/seeing news reports about this case around the time Josh blew up himself and the children. I am in the middle of listening to this podcast, maybe on episode 14 or so. It gives so much information.

Frankly I am glad that Steve is dead since he was really a dangerous man.

The audio clips of Josh are just disgusting. Interesting in that they give a glimpse into his manipulative mind, but disgusting. Petty but he had such a whiny, nasal voice and obviously thought he was recording deep thoughts. Blech.

I loved it-the recently posted episodes continue to be informative, respectful and really well done. I had the opposite reaction to the newer "Hide and Seek" podcast about Nancy Moyer :/
Glad the podcast world is opening up conversations about cases that need attention!

I was just looking into this podcast yesterday. I’m not super familiar with the Susan Smith case so I was thinking of listening to a quick overview podcast by True Crime all the Time (just over an hour).

Wondering if it’s worth getting the full overview first before heading into the hours and hours of Cold?

I was just looking into this podcast yesterday. I’m not super familiar with the Susan Smith case so I was thinking of listening to a quick overview podcast by True Crime all the Time (just over an hour).

Wondering if it’s worth getting the full overview first before heading into the hours and hours of Cold?
I meant Susan Powell :rolleyes: But same question- worth listening to a short recap first or plow straight into the Cold podcast?

I don't know. Subjective I guess, if that's the right word for this?. I didn't listen. But that's a personal thing as I cant handle that um yea format. I just read the transcripts. I guess it was ok though. If you came to this case late then yes, absolutely. For me, having followed intensely since the first report, I didn't find much new or idk, earth shattering? information. But yes, if your coming in newish to it then absolutely listen or read it. Worth it and will allow you to decide your own path to truth.... Ok bye now Lucky out

I just watched this today. I followed the case when it first hit the news but this podcast had a lot of information I had never heard before. It is still so heartbreaking to think of those boys & their mom. So I'm sure someone has had to bring this up before but impo Susan was alive for quite a while after being taken from the Utah house. It would explain the evidence. Particularly Braden's picture of Susan. I read somewhere she was tied up in the back of the van. I am not entirely sure of this point. But if true, why would you need to secure a body? They are not going to try to escape. Only living people would need to be secured. More certainly he said 'Mom & Dad got out' not Mom was sleeping & Dad picked her up. That seems to suggest she was able to move somewhat at the time. Plus Charlie's initial interview with the psychologist when he is asked several times about who told him Susan wanted to stay in the place "of the crystals & the flowers". Charlie insisted that it was his mom that told him that which confused everyone because they were all under the assumption she was already deceased at that time. However, if she was still alive then, it would be easy to coerce a loving mother to lie to her children & put on a brave face for them. Either through the threat of harm to them or believing there was still a way out. It would explain Josh disappearing for 18 hours & his need for the burner phone along with the fam's urgent trip to SLC. He knew she was alive & he needed to get back to her before she escaped or whatever sedation he used wore off. Maybe even a prearranged appointment? IMO if she was already dead at this point there would have been no urgent need to leave. Why not just sit back at the police station & wait for them to let you go? They did not have enough to detain him at the point. No, he had someplace he needed to be.
So in conclusion. First a disclaimer, this is just my opinion & blueskying. I mean no harm to either family. But I think there was a fight at the house. Susan was injured. Josh panicked & called someone in the fam who told him to get her out of the house. The camping trip. He coerces her to tell the boys everything is fine. Perhaps even he doesn't know how far it would go at this point. Maybe he just wanted to scare her into not leaving him or pressing charges. He then stashes her there & returns home to finish cleaning intending to come back later. But the alarm has already been raised. This is why he slipped out of the station for those 18 hours. He retrieves her & arranges a meeting at the border. The other parties take over from there. They take her back to Washington. J may not have had the guts to do what needed to be done but they knew someone who did. He had utter disregard for her by this point but S still idolized her. Sad to say I think she could have been kept for some time, The police weren't watching S at this point. They were investigating a possible murder in Utah not an interstate kidnapping. Within 2 weeks he & the boys moved to WA. Why? Possibly b/c of the pressure but could it also be b/c he knew she was already there? It also explains J's confident assertions that she was still alive & brings a much darker meaning to the "Message for Mommy" video. Once again just my completely unexpert opinion I just like cold cases.

Incredibly well done. I binge listened. I wonder why no one in his family seemed to notice much when he killed his sister's hamsters, except for her. His behavior while being interviewed by LE is so reminiscent of Watts. Thinking they are so clever that they will be believed no matter how stupid the tale. Pretty interesting when they pointed out that JP changed his whole demeanor back to sniffling and "woe is me" when he got what he thought was a new detective (who had actually be watching the whole time).

Incredibly well done. I binge listened. I wonder why no one in his family seemed to notice much when he killed his sister's hamsters, except for her. His behavior while being interviewed by LE is so reminiscent of Watts. Thinking they are so clever that they will be believed no matter how stupid the tale. Pretty interesting when they pointed out that JP changed his whole demeanor back to sniffling and "woe is me" when he got what he thought was a new detective (who had actually be watching the whole time).
I loved the podcast and also binge listened. LE was lucky to have Josh’s sister Jennifer on their side. She knew right away that her sicko brother did something to Susan. The rest of the Powells were busy helping him cover it up and keep the boys from the Cox family. Disgusting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back