Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes that’s right. Who knows who was called that day ? Would the press / media have been able to see who came in and out of the court

Yes it is tricky IMO but maybe with some “sleuthing” (what we are all good at and why we are here :)) we might be able to work some of them out Imo

Example

This was on 14 August ...

“He is asked about a man named Geoff Owen, who he played darts with. He tells the court he didn’t know him well. Mr Owen is also expected to testify in the coming days. @10NewsFirst @10Daily”

And then at 2.53pm the court was then closed and for the rest of the next day ... all of the 15th ..

Just my own thoughts...

I find this interesting, especially in respect of the closed court for her the day before supposedly in relation to the questionnaire.

It's my belief that Det. Beacroft was on the scene relatively early in the investigation of William's disappearance so may have some worthwhile 'raw' information (for want of a better word - just meaning before it all got ramped up, traipsed over, media trumped, considered & reflected on etc) IMO
To put a boring spin on things, could this just be police methodology whilst beacroft on stand? Foster carer family advised there phones where tapped etc.

Yes it is tricky IMO but maybe with some “sleuthing” (what we are all good at and why we are here :)) we might be able to work some of them out Imo

Example

This was on 14 August ...

“He is asked about a man named Geoff Owen, who he played darts with. He tells the court he didn’t know him well. Mr Owen is also expected to testify in the coming days. @10NewsFirst @10Daily”

And then at 2.53pm the court was then closed and for the rest of the next day ... all of the 15th ..

Just my own thoughts...
Agreed! Imo there was a lot of gaps and then closures around here.

All I can see in that article is the following, which is not Fehon nor police stating, it is the reporter writing it:

At 48 Benaroon Drive, police sniffer dogs picked up William's scent, but only within the boundaries of the property.

Whereas I can find reports attributed to Fehon and/or the police saying they found no trace.

Neither police sniffer dogs nor cadaver dogs have been able to pick up any sign of the boy, Supt Fehon said.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2014/09/16/dogs-fail-to-find-william-tyrell-scent.html
So I’m wondering what makes one report more accurate than another. Guessing it’s personal perspective. IMO

On the topic of closing courts, there is always a tension between the parties, who want the court closed as much as possible, and the media who want access. The principle of “justice must be seen to be done” applies in Australia, so courts want to limit suppression orders and court closures.

I don’t know where the line is drawn between suppression and closure. Every time a party wants information suppressed, there is an application by the party and the judge makes a ruling. If a party makes an application for court closure, then the judge would have to consider whether a suppression order would suffice. Court closure is a pretty drastic step.

There are some cases, varying amongst the states, where there is always a court closure without an application for it. Such as when a person applies for an AVO, or when a victim of a sex offence is giving evidence.

Maybe someone who was at the inquest could tell us who made the application for the court to be closed. I assume it was either the Police it PS lawyer.
Just as a matter of interest, as a criminal lawyer, do you not have the means to find out? Especially as you obviously have an interest in the case? Not personalising, just calling on the verified expertise that you’ve offered. Tia.

Until recently, Inquests were used to determine a cause of death when there wasn’t a crime so there couldn’t be a police investigation. The Coroner would really be looking at whether procedures could change to prevent similar deaths in the future. It’s only in recent years that the Coroner is almost taking on a role of overseeing a police investigation.

It sounds to me like a lot of the evidence is to do with operational issues, which police are reluctant to disclose, for obvious reasons. I would always thought it unlikely that witnesses could be called without it even being known that witnesses were being called. But given what I’ve read tonight, that’s what seems to be happening in the inquest.

There are others on the page that are following the ins and outs of the inquest far more closely than me. It’s fantastic sifting through what has happened at the inquest by having everyone chipping in bits of information.

On the 16th of August the court was closed and a lot of what was discussed was suppressed...

“The William Tyrrell inquest will resume later this morning with testimony from person of interest Robert Donohoe, two police officers and a man named Troy Brown. @10NewsFirst @10Daily”

We heard from Sen Con Jost Preis, Troy Brown - who states he didn’t sign the timesheet, and Robert Donohoe......

I can’t find any reference of a second Police Officer testifying that day
(unless it was Det Mark Duke - on the video attempting the interview Donahoe )
And was some of Robert Donohoe’s evidence in closed court before he was dismissed???

Speculation on my part from what I can find...

We weren't told why the court was closed every time ( & there was alot IMO ) we were just told that there now needed to be closed court & we were all herded in & out like browns cows :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I assume it was CA & the coroner who wanted the court closed most times as other legal teams were locked out also.

Court was obviously closed for a good reason & I do support that if it leads to finding out what happened to poor William, as frustrating as it was for everyone , as long as the coroner is hearing all the evidence I'm ok with that :)

The media made submissions against closed court of course , but never "won" any...............
Thanks doc. We all appreciate your valuable input and all of the hours you spent there.

Until recently, Inquests were used to determine a cause of death when there wasn’t a crime so there couldn’t be a police investigation. The Coroner would really be looking at whether procedures could change to prevent similar deaths in the future. It’s only in recent years that the Coroner is almost taking on a role of overseeing a police investigation.

It sounds to me like a lot of the evidence is to do with operational issues, which police are reluctant to disclose, for obvious reasons. I would always thought it unlikely that witnesses could be called without it even being known that witnesses were being called. But given what I’ve read tonight, that’s what seems to be happening in the inquest.

There are others on the page that are following the ins and outs of the inquest far more closely than me. It’s fantastic sifting through what has happened at the inquest by having everyone chipping in bits of information.
Wow, that was a very prompt reply. Had hardly finished typing!

Do procedures change much from state to state? Eg Qld from NSW? NSW from Canberra?

Wow, that was a very prompt reply. Had hardly finished typing!

Do procedures change much from state to state? Eg Qld from NSW? NSW from Canberra?
I’ve just finished reading a fascinating book, The Coroner by former NSW Coroner Derrick Hand. It gives a fantastic insight to how the Coroners Court works and how different Coroners run their cases differently.

I’ve just finished reading a fascinating book, The Coroner by former NSW Coroner Derrick Hand. It gives a fantastic insight to how the Coroners Court works and how different Coroners run their cases differently.
Good tactic.

On the 16th of August the court was closed and a lot of what was discussed was suppressed...

“The William Tyrrell inquest will resume later this morning with testimony from person of interest Robert Donohoe, two police officers and a man named Troy Brown. @10NewsFirst @10Daily”

We heard from Sen Con Jost Preis, Troy Brown - who states he didn’t sign the timesheet, and Robert Donohoe......

I can’t find any reference of a second Police Officer testifying that day
(unless it was Det Mark Duke - on the video attempting the interview Donahoe )
And was some of Robert Donohoe’s evidence in closed court before he was dismissed???

Speculation on my part from what I can find...

Vague memory- imo yes. All we heard was updates of video NSWPOL interview.
Assume all high potential POI/evidence would have been kept in closed court ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes