The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry face new green row over Range Rovers shipped from UK to southern Africa for their 10-day tour

It sure is a problem. There were no cars for them. If they came by ship, I don’t see why the uproar. Unless of course the cars were the only thing on the ship.

But then again, there is the huge problem there.
I'm gonna have to defend this one :rolleyes:

Quite simply in 1 word - Security

- I am absolutely sure this decision wasn't anything Harry & Meg would have much say in anyway - :cool:

Anyone who has a problem with this decision should be arguing with these guys
Royalty Protection Group (S014)

Carjacking is at epidemic levels in South Africa, and Palace officials will have been at pains to ensure the safety of the couple while touring the country...
edit-jpg.207328

The Duchess of Sussex walks from a UK-registered Range Rover
Armoured vehicles are big business in the country which sees nearly 50 hijackings a day, and people spend up to £80,000 bullet-proofing their vehicles.

Vehicle armouring firm Amormax has warned hijackers with AK47s are switching from lead core to steel core bullets, which can pierce through conventional armour...

The company, which generally deals with rich clients, has added that hijackers are now taking motorists with them to prevent them from reporting the incident.

;)
Should they HIRE their Glocks locally too?

Any costs involved is irrelevant as well.

The cars for the trip were understood to have been offered by Jaguar Land Rover, and were transported at no cost to the taxpayer, the Press Association reports.

I know I wouldn't trust any HIRED vehicle in S.A.

I really doubt they're anywhere close to the requirements & standards needed.
They've had all the security tests & checks done probably before they even left the factory.
thumb_queen-elizabeth-ii-driving-her-range-rover-in-a-hoodie-42651655.png
The manufacturer has provided vehicles for the royal family for decades, including on foreign visits, despite numerous firms in South Africa offering luxury armoured Land Rovers to rent locally.

I'm sure 'Q' wouldn't be very happy either! :p
giphy.gif

Lastly...but certainly not leastly :D

MADE_IN_BRITAIN_web_300x300.png

Attachments

• Edit.jpg
    Edit.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 297
I'm gonna have to defend this one :rolleyes:

Quite simply in 1 word - Security

- I am absolutely sure this decision wasn't anything Harry & Meg would have much say in anyway - :cool:

Anyone who has a problem with this decision should be arguing with these guys
Royalty Protection Group (S014)

Carjacking is at epidemic levels in South Africa, and Palace officials will have been at pains to ensure the safety of the couple while touring the country...
edit-jpg.207328

The Duchess of Sussex walks from a UK-registered Range Rover
Armoured vehicles are big business in the country which sees nearly 50 hijackings a day, and people spend up to £80,000 bullet-proofing their vehicles.

Vehicle armouring firm Amormax has warned hijackers with AK47s are switching from lead core to steel core bullets, which can pierce through conventional armour...

The company, which generally deals with rich clients, has added that hijackers are now taking motorists with them to prevent them from reporting the incident.

;)
Should they HIRE their Glocks locally too?

Any costs involved is irrelevant as well.

The cars for the trip were understood to have been offered by Jaguar Land Rover, and were transported at no cost to the taxpayer, the Press Association reports.

I know I wouldn't trust any HIRED vehicle in S.A.

I really doubt they're anywhere close to the requirements & standards needed.
They've had all the security tests & checks done probably before they even left the factory.
thumb_queen-elizabeth-ii-driving-her-range-rover-in-a-hoodie-42651655.png
The manufacturer has provided vehicles for the royal family for decades, including on foreign visits, despite numerous firms in South Africa offering luxury armoured Land Rovers to rent locally.

I'm sure 'Q' wouldn't be very happy either! :p
giphy.gif

Lastly...but certainly not leastly :D

MADE_IN_BRITAIN_web_300x300.png

I don’t have a problem with this their security is absolutely critical. It would be a horrendous tragedy if anything happened because locally sourced vehicles had been tampered with by criminals. It is not worth the risk.

I’m really liking Meghan’s style on this trip. —And Harry’s.

So. Africa’s weather looks sunny and arid, much like California. —Think Harry loves it, and Meghan must miss it big time, sometimes.

For Meghan, it would be nice to see a bit of a marriage of the trench, or shirt dress with some color, prints, pastels, it doesn’t have to be an English garden. Although, I’d love it, but monochromatic flowers, or plaid, or even abstract... or, even in winter some gabardine or soft wool variations. ... with some nice boots.

She wore a couple of really nice print dresses. It’s a good silhouette for Meghan. —She unfortunately doesn’t have the legs for stilettos. I thought the espadrilles and flats were much better.

The hair? Stringy extensions? It’s a trend. And one I don’t think is very flattering to many women...

Every once in a while retro style comes back... like a curly short bob, or Rita Hayworth glam... Like Madonna in the 90’s. When she was in her 30’s looking fab.

Think Meghan might look really good with a crimped shoulder length bob... it would add more of an illusion of height. She looks a little drowned out with too many lengths of big long hair.

I’m really liking Meghan’s style on this trip. —And Harry’s.

So. Africa’s weather looks sunny and arid, much like California. —Think Harry loves it, and Meghan must miss it big time, sometimes.

For Meghan, it would be nice to see a bit of a marriage of the trench, or shirt dress with some color, prints, pastels, it doesn’t have to be an English garden. Although, I’d love it, but monochromatic flowers, or plaid, or even abstract... or, even in winter some gabardine or soft wool variations. ... with some nice boots.

She wore a couple of really nice print dresses. It’s a good silhouette for Meghan. —She unfortunately doesn’t have the legs for stilettos. I thought the espadrilles and flats were much better.

The hair? Stringy extensions? It’s a trend. And one I don’t think is very flattering to many women...

Every once in a while retro style comes back... like a curly short bob, or Rita Hayworth glam... Like Madonna in the 90’s. When she was in her 30’s looking fab.

Think Meghan might look really good with a crimped shoulder length bob... it would add more of an illusion of height. She looks a little drowned out with too many lengths of big long hair.
Smart move to stick with the shirt dresses.

Except the white one. It looks too much like a lab coat or nurse uniform

And she should dump those bad extensions and wear a pony tail or a bun to have a neater, more polished look

The DM manipulated the info
Yeah, but after 125+ years that's not really 'News' ;) to anyone thou.

The Daily Mail’s ‘historic 1914 edition’ is not quite as billed...

The Daily Mail's front page today urges readers to turn inside to read a "historic 1914 edition of the Daily Mail."

doncaster-uk-28th-july-2019-260nw-1463834381.jpg
What they find, however, are not replicas of the pages that the Mail actually published on 29 June 1914 but modernised versions, with different layouts, up-to-date typefaces and pin-sharp restored photographs.

...I'm not certain whether the Mail wishes its readers to think they are seeing and reading the real paper it produced a century ago or whether its editors imagine its readers are sophisticated enough to catch on that it's not.

I think they should have owned up to it being entirely bogus. That said, I concede that the modern make-over was enjoyable to read.

1 of 1,853,967+ similar Mail-Tails

:D The actual Daily Mail front page from 29th June 1914

phpsUysLxAM.jpg

On a more serious note, wouldn't there be copyright issues (or something similar) if they published it un-edited?

Daily Mail/Mail on Sunday* are the masters of the media manipulation art. Everyone knows this, don't you think they're also masters of the CYA art as well? :confused:
Their lawyers most certainly are.

● Unless the letter was stolen from Megs possession then it's tough luck, (I think?)
The minute that letter, in it's stamped addressed envelope, was posted she no longer has control of what happens to it or any information in it.

● What's with all this 'Suing' nonsense?
Someone should let Meg know that's not really a British thing :rolleyes:

● The Royal Family DO NOT SUE the media

-Unless it's necessary in serious/legal type issues-

FFS they're butt-hurt coz theyz not getting the most 'likes? Really...:mad:

This is all just embarrassing now

* The Mail on Sunday ...launched 1982 by Lord Rothermere.
Like the Daily Mail it is owned by the Daily Mail and General Trust (DMGT), but the editorial staffs of the two papers are entirely separate.

When in Scotland! Prince Charles and Camilla don matching tartan as they visit a ruined castle...
60b365d7-d898-4031-b054-86f88830c84e-jpeg.207323

11-110869_smileys-clipart-vampire-know-it-all-emoji-png.png
I do believe that is the Duke of Rothesay (Ancient Colours) Tartan Charles is wearing.
Duke_of_Rothesay_Ancient_Colours_Pure_Silk_3.jpg

:D
How Hollywood Loves Dunnottar Castle
notosffmnqj01.jpg
What many don’t know is that Stonehaven’s beloved Dunnottar Castle hasn’t just captured our hearts, but the hearts of Hollywood too! From inspiring directors for their sets, to appearing on television itself, Dunnottar has featured in many films and shows over the past few years.
dunnottar-castle-near-stonehaven.-scotland.-bartlett-c1840-old-antique-print-359160-p.jpg

Dunnottar Castle, near Stonehaven. Scotland. c1840
How Hollywood Loves Dunnottar Castle | Ship Inn

Didn't William sue a paper a magazine in France over topless pictures of Catherine? I get the feeling the days of these papers freewheeling about the younger Royals is slowly coming to an end.

I wonder if he spoke with the Queen or his father before doing this. Sure hope so.

What I don't get about the statements Harry has put out over the years over the press and Meghan is why is it always him defending her and never her standing up for herself? The first one when they were dating was understandable as she was relatively unknown, it was a joint statement by William and Harry if I recall correctly.

Maybe this was all his idea and shes an unwilling participant but it seems odd that its forever people like her friends, make up artist, Harry defending her. Does it play better if someone else is defending you rather than defending yourself? A joint statement would have seemed more apt in this situation IMHO

IMHO they've opened up a bag of worms,I guarantee you the Daily Mail will have all the anonymous "friends" who contributed to the People magazine article where the letter was mentioned deposed and used as witnesses and they will have to disclose a lot of private details about Meghan. They'll probably be able to depose anyone who was working for Harry and Meghan at the time. I bet they're going to get more stories out of this than any fine that could be imposed is worth. The DM have said they're going to defend it vigorously

If this was in the US courts it could be worth a lot of money but I doubt even if they're successful it will be a lot of money. The UK courts are more generally more generous than France but if you look at the Kate Middleton topless shots mentioned above, all that was awarded was €100k in damages

Edit: By a lot of money I mean a lot of money for the Royals not for normal people. IMHO its a gamble in a case that isn't cut and dry considering they'll be liable for the Mails costs if they lose which could be several hundred thousand

Last edited:
Correct - this is the Windsors, not the Kardashians.
:p
Royal Family lose fortune in recession & move to council flat
Queen Elizabeth's nightmare that her family lose all their money
spitting-image.jpg
...and move into a high-rise council block, where they have to resort to crime to survive.
2540076170001_5453577322001_4045145402001-vs.jpg
Prince Charles later becomes a cabbie.
hqdefault.jpg
Also stars Princes Philip, Edward & Andrew, Sarah Ferguson & late Queen Mother.

Spitting Image

Prince Harry ignored the advice of some of his most senior aides and did not tell his father or brother before launching his extraordinary attack on the British press, it has been claimed.

The Duke of Sussex, 35, accused media outlets of 'relentless propaganda' and 'bullying', saying he feared his wife Meghan, 38, has fallen victim to the 'same powerful forces' his mother Diana did before her death.

Royal sources claim Harry was warned not to publish the statement while he and Meghan were still on their publicly-funded tour of Africa.

They also allege he refused to tell his father Charles and brother William, who only found out when the message was published, The Times reports.

Prince Harry 'ignored advice of senior aides and didn't tell William or Charles about press attack' | Daily Mail Online

I think there is a lot of truth in this report. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex should have waited until they came home to issue a proper statement and legal action. They are quite right to launch legal action I don’t have a problem with that. I just hope it doesn’t make their relationship with the press even worse that is my only concern. Prince Charles and The Duke of Cambridge must be concerned if they are only finding out things when the public and the press does.

What I don't get about the statements Harry has put out over the years over the press and Meghan is why is it always him defending her and never her standing up for herself? The first one when they were dating was understandable as she was relatively unknown, it was a joint statement by William and Harry if I recall correctly.

Maybe this was all his idea and shes an unwilling participant but it seems odd that its forever people like her friends, make up artist, Harry defending her. Does it play better if someone else is defending you rather than defending yourself? A joint statement would have seemed more apt in this situation IMHO

IMHO they've opened up a bag of worms,I guarantee you the Daily Mail will have all the anonymous "friends" who contributed to the People magazine article where the letter was mentioned deposed and used as witnesses and they will have to disclose a lot of private details about Meghan. They'll probably be able to depose anyone who was working for Harry and Meghan at the time. I bet they're going to get more stories out of this than any fine that could be imposed is worth. The DM have said they're going to defend it vigorously

If this was in the US courts it could be worth a lot of money but I doubt even if they're successful it will be a lot of money. The UK courts are more generally more generous than France but if you look at the Kate Middleton topless shots mentioned above, all that was awarded was €100k in damages

Edit: By a lot of money I mean a lot of money for the Royals not for normal people. IMHO its a gamble in a case that isn't cut and dry considering they'll be liable for the Mails costs if they lose which could be several hundred thousand

I don’t think the lawsuit has anything to do with money they could be awarded £1 in damages and they wouldn’t care. It is about getting a judgement against the press and putting a stop to their invasion of privacy and shenanigans. I suspect any damages awarded might be given to charity.

You know Spitting Image is coming back? I can’t wait to see what they do with Bojo and Trump :D

I know it is coming back here is a photo of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex puppets. I don’t know if it will be as good as the last time but I will give it a shot and see. I wish the show didn’t have to get political though I think we are overloaded with politics both in the U.K and the U.S at the moment.

59D188F8-4109-4EF8-877B-105ECBBB13C7.jpeg

You know Spitting Image is coming back? I can’t wait to see what they do with Bojo and Trump :D
I didn't actually :oops:
I had no idea until I was looking for the clip ^ & noticed loads of headlines like these...:)

Look who’s back: Spitting Image returns for our chaotic times
6076.jpg
Twenty-three years after it last aired, the puppet satire takes on Trump, Putin and Zuckerberg

0_Untitled-1JPG.jpg

Spitting Image: Harry and Meghan, Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin to feature in show's return

skynews-spitting-image-harry-and-meghan_4791090.jpg
The original Spitting Image ran for 18 series from 1984 to 1996, with former PM Margaret Thatcher and the Queen among the targets.
image.jpg
:p The new puppets are soooo cute...lol

tomorrow-belongs-to-me-thatcher.gif
:cool: They'll never beat Maggie thou

The Guardian
Sky News

I think there is a lot of truth in this report. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex should have waited until they came home to issue a proper statement and legal action. They are quite right to launch legal action I don’t have a problem with that.

Indeed they have every right to take an action (I don't think they'll win but thats besides the point) but its completely overshadowed the trip that was going so well. Thomas Markle and the press are what people are talking about again not the good work they've done.

If the letter was published during the trip or the statute of limitations for them to take a case was running out during the trip so they had to act expeditiously then there could be an argument for the statement to be made then and there. Or if the Mail had published a vicious article about Meghan during the trip but they played nice from what I saw.

I would love to know what the other Royals are saying about all this. Like it or not while they remain in "the firm" they are very much part of a hierarchy that they will never be boss of. If they have actually done this without talking to the Queen, Charles or William it will not go down well I imagine.

In all honesty though given his past behaviour wasn't it expected that any letter Meghan sent to Thomas Markle would come into the public domain at some point. I'm amazed he kept it secret as long as he did

excited-clipart-49.jpg

Well it was obvious to just about everyone Harry's little speil was gonna be taken as nothing short of a declaration of all out war by the press...
Oh hell this is gonna be good :confused:

PIERS MORGAN: Stop playing the victim, Harry - you and Meghan brought the negative press on yourselves, and just when you turn things around, you ruin it all
--------------------------------------
:cool: O.k. so...
I was expecting it to a big lol rant but, somewhat worryingly, I once again find myself agreeing with him!

I should point out that the article is NOT a major 'bash the Sussexes' attack, it's actually very mild in my opinion, he does make a lot of good points so it is worth a read regardless of .... well it's Piers :p
--------------------------------------
This was going to be a very positive column about Prince Harry and his wife Meghan.

I've not exactly been the couple's biggest fan over the past year, but I believe in giving credit where it's due and their tour of South Africa has been an unqualified success.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex haven't put a foot wrong as they've toured the country shining an important light on many issues from gender violence to poverty and education.

I was going to say this tour marked a significant and much-needed turning point in the relentless stream of negativity that's poured on Harry and Meghan's heads over the past few months.

And I would not have been alone.

They've behaved like royals should behave – with dignity, grace, good humour and empathy.

They've also avoided being overtly political, sticking instead to speaking un-controversially about issues where everyone can pretty much agree – like equality, conservation etc.

... but that was the generous column I planned to write.

Then came the announcement... -
lol, I can't wait for this, gonna be good -
excited-clipart-30.jpg
That alone wouldn't have irritated me.

They are perfectly entitled to feel aggrieved...
just as the paper is perfectly entitled to defend itself on the grounds of public interest.

But that is a legal battle, and the courts will decide its merits.

What did irritate me was the hysterically over-the-top statement that the Sussexes decided to release to accompany their lawsuit.:D

It is honestly one of the most extraordinary rants I've ever read from anyone in the Royal Family, and one of the most inexplicable.
Why declare war on the press who've just spent seven days saying great things about them?...

Why petrol-bomb glowingly positive end-of-tour reports with a furnace of negative fury? -
oops-emoticon-40.jpg

Ooo...I do like this line -

Not for the first time, I don't understand what the hell Harry and Meghan are thinking.

Particularly as we swiftly learned that they didn't tell anyone at Buckingham Palace about it.;)

This seems like another catastrophic PR failure to me,..

And let's be brutally frank: they've brought most of that criticism on themselves.

Their constant hypocritical preaching over things like the environment has rightly grated with people...

You can't enjoy all the global fame and attention from a royal wedding then refuse to share basic details, or photos, of your baby when he was born.

That's not how being a royal works.

So Harry and Meghan have careered through the past year on a helter-skelter of hypocrisy,..

Yet they don't see it that way.

They see themselves as poor, downtrodden, massively misunderstood victims of horrible press 'bullies'.

In a viciously worded attack, Harry raged:...

Oh please. Give me a bloody break, your royal highness!

The old Prince Harry, the courageous soldier and fun-loving party boy, would never have spewed such sanctimonious guff.

...when he actually told an impoverished young South African boy that he empathised with him because some days he worried so much about the world's problems he can't get out of bed.

REALLY, Harry?

What a load of preposterous and patronising nonsense...

:)
There's more ...

Daily Mail

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics