TX - James, 48 & Michelle Butler, 46, driving RV to Fort Lauderdale from Corpus Christi, 14 Oct 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The rumors are shocking if true. The truck and trailer really aren't worth much. I'm camper shopping and I'd guess that one is worth less than 5k, adding in the truck I think 15k would be generous for both. It's hard to imagine it's worth murdering two people for that, but I guess we'll see when the details come out.

The rumors are shocking if true. The truck and trailer really aren't worth much. I'm camper shopping and I'd guess that one is worth less than 5k, adding in the truck I think 15k would be generous for both. It's hard to imagine it's worth murdering two people for that, but I guess we'll see when the details come out.

I definitely agree with you about the camper, but unfortunately I’m betting whoever did this was after the truck. It is a 2018 Chevy Silverado 2500. I just did a quick check on Kelley blue book https://www.kbb.com/chevrolet/silverado-2500-hd-crew-cab/2018/ Used with high mileage they are still $35,000. Some of the special ones are upwards of $50,000 used. My husband has a 2016 2500 and I thought it was ridiculous because he bought it used and it had what I consider high mileage and was way more than I thought he should pay. Apparently they are really nice trucks though (or maybe it’s just a guy thing lol). Regardless, it’s definitely not worth taking someone’s life! Hopefully that’s not the case here, but from what I’m reading on fb things aren’t looking too good. MOO

Kleberg deputies find possible body near Padre Balli Park

Officials currently are not linking the investigation to the missing couple, and they say neither the Butlers' 2018 silver Chevrolet four-door pickup nor their white RV have been spotted in the area.

The investigation is active and ongoing, and the Texas Rangers arrived at the scene early Monday morning and said they will be helping with the investigation. The United States Border Patrol and Texas Parks and Wildlife are also assisting. Garza also said cadaver dogs and drones also are being brought in.

Perhaps the camper value depends upon location because $5000 seems really low to me for that size rig. In any case, I bet it's a lot nicer than many homes in Mexico, but would probably not attract too much attention if someone said he got a good deal on it in the US. In other words, if selling it was not the motive for stealing it, maybe living in it is.

ETA: The prices you see on rv ads are often monthly payments, not the actual price. (Azure, I know you know that; just throwing it out there for everyone.)

I definitely agree with you about the camper, but unfortunately I’m betting whoever did this was after the truck. It is a 2018 Chevy Silverado 2500. I just did a quick check on Kelley blue book https://www.kbb.com/chevrolet/silverado-2500-hd-crew-cab/2018/ Used with high mileage they are still $35,000. Some of the special ones are upwards of $50,000 used. My husband has a 2016 2500 and I thought it was ridiculous because he bought it used and it had what I consider high mileage and was way more than I thought he should pay. Apparently they are really nice trucks though (or maybe it’s just a guy thing lol). Regardless, it’s definitely not worth taking someone’s life! Hopefully that’s not the case here, but from what I’m reading on fb things aren’t looking too good. MOO
Oh silly me, I read that as 2008! Oops!

I wish I could remember the names of the other couples this has happened to but I don’t so at this point it’s all fantasy but, there was a elderly couple on a road trip, I think they originated out of Ohio or Indiana. Anyway, they were having the time of their life traveling in their RV and trailer. They were last seen in a campground in Idaho or somewhere, where they had been for a week or so when they stopped communicating with their family, sort of like this couple. People at the campground remembered them because they were so likable. They and their rig disappeared one day. Turned out a young couple who were living hand and mouth who befriended them in the campground tricked them into a day trip where they killed them, then took their truck back and hooked up the trailer and stole it. They later led authorities to where they buried the bodies.

In another story like this, a couple were traveling in their rig and stopped at Rest Area in California. An escaped prisoner from a penitentiary in Colorado was at the Rest Area looking for something to steal. He say their rig and decided to kidnapped them. He forced them to drive him to New Mexico, I think where he murdered them, then set the trailer on fire, getting away in the truck.

I saw both these stories on ID and I have chemo brain so now I don’t remember names to look them up, sorry.

Wow, who would do such a thing to a couple in an RV?!?
It's heartbreaking. And they had 3 cats in the RV who were traveling all this time with them too. Makes me literally sick to my stomach that something like this can happen to people just living their best lives, enjoying travel and each other's company, with their pets.

I have to say it's one of my most upsetting cases to follow here on WS, and that's saying a lot. Maybe because my hubby and I have talked of doing exactly the same thing and also of taking our animals along with us when and if we ever do. (Not so sure I want to now.)

Maybe because my hubby and I have talked of doing exactly the same thing and also of taking our animals along with us when and if we ever do. (Not so sure I want to now.)

Same for us. Between all the stuff on here with teenage girls (I have one) and this, it is really making me reconsider, especially as we had planned to boondock a lot! I'm sure statistically the chances are extremely small for something to happen but it's hard to get out of my mind now!

Last edited:
I wonder what the status is of the truck and rv supposedly crossing into Mexico and the investigation into who did it/who was driving on surveillance.
Comments on FB page for finding James and Michelle state LE have yet to confirm this, so who knows. Bodies not linked to missing couple either yet... I find it hopeful, but mainly think it's only a matter of time before we learn it's them. How much of a coincidence would it be for a male and female body to be found in the same area, and not be connected to this.

Also if it is them, why is it taking so long to identify them. James is reported to have several tattoos which would make it easy to recognize him,.IMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member