Found Deceased Cambodia - Amelia Bambridge, 21, UK backpacker, Koh Rong, 23 Oct 2019

So did something happen to her at the bar or just outside of the area and someone who knew it was her bag, go get it and stage it to look like she had gone for a swim in another location.

Certainly possible, but Occam's Razor would suggest it's unlikely. First, they'd have to do it in view of the party, and second, why not just throw it in the water and remove any DNA/fingerprints?

Ms Bambridge’s bag was found with money and a mobile phone still inside on a rock near the water’s edge on Police Beach. The phone shows she posted photos online until 3.23am but her movements after that time are not known.

Do we know at what time the bag was found?

I've found some of the people she was partying with on Instagram and they seem to have all left the island and gone on to party in other locations. I suppose finding a girl they barely knew is low priority. Seems there's no block on people leaving or entering the island, and I wonder how many left without giving any kind of police interview or contact details.

Leaving one's bag behind, including cellphone, for what ever reason when travelling alone seems very imprudent if you ask me. Would Amelia have done that? Perhaps her family might be able to tell.

Leaving one's bag behind, including cellphone, for what ever reason when travelling alone seems very imprudent if you ask me. Would Amelia have done that? Perhaps her family might be able to tell.

Very unlikely, I'd say. Not just her phone but two bankcards too - I don't think she'd have deliberately let it leave her side. She'd discussed safety, it's a 'safe' bag (cross-body, zips) and she's wearing it religiously in all footage from the night. It'd be either lost or stolen.

I've just thought of this - the wifi all over the island is said to be patchy and poor. If she'd lost her bag, she could have panicked and asked someone for help, perhaps to find it or to internet-call her phone. This person could easily have taken advantage of a likely intoxicated and upset young woman by suggesting she come somewhere he had a strong torch or a better wifi signal, or saying it'd been handed in to a back room, for instance. I don't think she'd have willingly just left into the night with no light source, without telling the people she came with.

'Spread the word' – Family of missing backpacker invite people to pray for Amelia at vigil

It will be held at St Michael’s Catholic Church in Hayling Rise, Worthing, on Wednesday evening at 8.30pm

Moss Tattoos in Brighton Road will be tattooing cows and cats - like Amelia has - at a fundraiser on Friday at Thirteen Tattoo Co, also in Brighton Road.

The AFP news agency has reported that as many as 200 army, navy and police personnel have scoured the island in the south of the country to find Amelia. They are searching the jungle, mountains, creeks, beaches and all the places Amelia had visited, enlisting help from their diving teams.

Events and parties which had been organised for the holiday island have been called off as fellow backpackers assist police.

It's a bit grim, but have all of the AC rooms at the hostel she was staying at, and on her way home, been checked? If she lost her bag and wanted to go to bed, she'd have needed to speak to someone to gain help/access to her room.

If the local tourist workers have a reputation for being sex pests, there's a strong possibility one of them could have convinced her to sleep it off in an empty room until things could be sorted in the morning, got her in, and something's gone wrong from there.

It's also possible that the same could have happened with a tourist, if he'd offered her a place to stay for the night. Often hostels will be happy to be paid upfront for a week or two and they don't send in cleaners as you'd expect in a hotel.
I think the rooms are dormitories? Don't know if the Nest Club has private bedrooms too

The floral bag isn't a backpack. It's a small cross-body bag, much like this: UO Mini Red Cross Body Bag

In the photo of the bag here, you can see someone's finger in the background. It's small: Bag of missing Amelia Bambridge found near beach where she vanished | Metro News

I can't find the exact one online because it's old season, but the Urban Outfitters UO-76 bag is a common, popular design and always looks similar, with a long cross-body strap. Her purse is pictured along with the other contents of the bag: it's a small coin-purse, a clasp-top purse with a cat's face on it: Father of missing British backpacker Amelia Bambridge believes she was abducted | Daily Mail Online

It might be due to the press reporting that the bag is a rucksack, or confusion in terminology (in the UK a purse holds money; it's not a handbag) but there isn't a second, still missing bag.

EDIT: I've attached a photo of Amelia wearing the bag. As you can see, it's not a rucksack.

Thank you! Much clearer now.

I wonder if this is just something being lost in translation. The bars extend down to the shoreline, so saying "the bag/purse was found at the bar" could mean it was found on rocks directly outside, but still considered to be part of the bar's territory. Photos of Police Beach show the rocks. If the bag was by the bar, I can imagine someone saying "the bag was found at the bar" as opposed to at her hostel or in the jungle. Remember there's going to be a lot of second-hand knowledge getting to the press, and few Khmer speak perfect English. It's also possible that someone initially found it on the rocks and handed it in at the bar, in which case "the bag was found in the bar" and "the bag was found on the rocks" are true, in a way.

Having been to similar parties myself, it wouldn't be unusual for a group to go for a paddle or a drink/smoke somewhere a bit further from the music, put down a bag and forget it, then wander back without realising at first. Most people there are going to be drunk and high. I expect there are multiple bag/phone/wallet losses every time one of these parties happens.

Personally I think Amelia lost her bag, decided she'd had enough and wanted to go to bed, then came to some kind of harm.

Not that they should be viewed with suspicion, but I think it's pretty odd that no-one she was with on the night has spoken to the press yet. She's clearly pictured with people and they'd know what state she was in, if she'd lost her bag, who she'd been talking to, etc.
Excellent points raised in your post thank you. I have been wondering throughout this period, why has no one spoken publicly about Amelia's disappearance, and, why has no information been released regarding when she left the beach party, did she leave alone, or, was she left on the beach alone? It's just 'she was seen arriving to the beach party, but, she wasn't seen leaving it'. This statement makes no sense to me. If this information is correct, are we to speculate that she never left said party/was abducted from the venue/went into the sea, and, never came out again? All without a soul seeing nothing, and, hearing nothing?

police beach koh rong cambodia - بحث Google
Go down to the YouTube videos and it is the third one-16 minutes long.
Sorry I can't do a better job of listing the exact address.
Although this Facebook site is 16 minutes long and very slow, it gives a very good sense of the small size of the Police beach, the shallow, clear water that would not hide a body, the fact that she couldn't have started walking back to her hostel by the beach because of the rocks etc. She would have been inland on the path.
Around about the 6 minute mark the drone moves in closer to the beach and the smallness of the dance area is evident.
Looking at this really changed my opinion of what happened and how easily it could have happened.
Looking at Google maps gave me a sense of greater distance between places, this is in real time.

Last edited:
No private rooms at the Nest Club, they have 10-12 beds dorm rooms, typical of a hostel:

Nest Beach Club, Koh Rong Island - 2019 Prices & Reviews - Hostelworld

Thanks, and to Kaykedi. There's another hostel with AC and a nicer resort (Guaguin) with private AC rooms on the way back to The Nest; I'd hope they'd have been searched by now, but who knows. Tourist high season is only just starting in Cambodia so there'd be likely to be empty rooms.

Excellent points raised in your post thank you. I have been wondering throughout this period, why has no one spoken publicly about Amelia's disappearance, and, why has no information been released regarding when she left the beach party, did she leave alone, or, was she left on the beach alone? It's just 'she was seen arriving to the beach party, but, she wasn't seen leaving it'. This statement makes no sense to me. If this information is correct, are we to speculate that she never left said party/was abducted from the venue/went into the sea, and, never came out again? All without a soul seeing nothing, and, hearing nothing?

I agree, this is weird. Sadly I think there are unanswered questions resting with the people she was with at Police Beach, most of whom seem to have left the island already. Amelia's sister's trying to trace them on Instagram, which is sad. Amelia clearly left for the party with 5+ others, yet none of them have given a public account of her night. These parties tend to go on til dawn so I doubt they all left before Amelia, and she's pictured with some of them at 3.23am.

The more I think about it, the more I think her father is correct and someone's abducted her. I don't think she went for a swim (her clothes would have been with her bag), I don't think she's tried to walk home alone without telling anyone (why would she, if she's there with others who have torches on their phones?) and I don't think she'd have left without trying to find her bag. The most likely explanation I can see is that she's lost the bag then sought help from the wrong person. Sadly, if she died that night, her body could have been buried inland or dumped at sea before dawn and the longer time passes without any leads, the more I think she won't be found.

At least 20 people quizzed over disappearance of British tourist in Cambodia

Ms Bambridge’s bag was found with money and a mobile phone still inside on a rock near the water’s edge on Police Beach. The phone shows she posted photos online until 3.23am but her movements after that time are not known.

The search had been expanded to cover nearby islands and farther offshore in the Gulf of Thailand on Tuesday.

Both local and foreign volunteers are also helping, while local fishermen and neighbouring provinces in southwestern Cambodia have been alerted.

Ms Bambridge set off on her trip on 27 September, when she flew to Vietnam.

So they say she was seen arriving at 2am and last seen on social media at 3.23am.

I can't imagine her being at the party (which takes 40 mins to walk to) for an 1 hour 23mins, and deciding to go home on her own. Surely she would have stayed longer and returned with her group. I dont see this as a case of her "getting lost"on the way back.

The thing I can't understand about the sea theory is even if she went into the water for a dip with her clothes on, where are her shoes? Even is she had flip flops on, in shallow water it's hard to walk with them on.

Sorry if this has been answered...but how did they come to find out Amelia was missing? Did her family report it due to a lack of communication?

Sorry if this has been answered...but how did they come to find out Amelia was missing? Did her family report it due to a lack of communication?

The manager of the Nest Beach Club hostel on the island contacted her mother after she failed to check out of the hostel.

Family of missing UK backpacker Amelia Bambridge fly to Cambodia to join search

Hostels usually take tourists' passports at check-in and secure them until the person checks out (and pay their bill).

So they say she was seen arriving at 2am and last seen on social media at 3.23am.

I can't imagine her being at the party (which takes 40 mins to walk to) for an 1 hour 23mins, and deciding to go home on her own. Surely she would have stayed longer and returned with her group. I dont see this as a case of her "getting lost"on the way back.

I agree - and I don't think she'd have left without her bag without making a big fuss beforehand. It has all her important stuff in. If she'd lost it (entirely possible) surely she'd have alerted her friends and the staff to help find it? I can't imagine any scenario in which she'd have just thought "oh well, I'll walk home in the dark alone" having lost the bag unless she'd searched thoroughly, her 'friends' and staff were refusing or incapable of helping, and she was cross. If that happened, surely her friends would have reported this?

The thing I can't understand about the sea theory is even if she went into the water for a dip with her clothes on, where are her shoes? Even is she had flip flops on, in shallow water it's hard to walk with them on.

You can get to that rock without going in the water so no need to remove shoes, as shown here:
Cambodian soldiers, divers scour island for missing 21-year-old British tourist
Also, she's a 30-40m walk from home, surely she'd strip off to underwear before swimming so she didn't have to walk home in wet clothes.

"On the night Ms Bambridge disappeared, she had been with friends she had met at the hostel and they had gone to Police Beach - named after its proximity to a disused police station. Friends reported her "out-of-character" disappearance after she did not return and her belongings were found on a beach." 'No real leads' in missing backpacker search

She'd been due to check out on Saturday. Also she was in very frequent contact with her family so I guess they'd know quite quickly that something was wrong. According to Instagram posts, the friends she'd gone to the party with were with her til about 3am, and looked for her when they couldn't find her. She posted a photo online at 3.23am and there's no sightings or news after that.

Her passport was at the hostel, apparently it is common practice for the hostel to hold passports until a person checks out and pays the bill. She did not checkout. It is unclear whether the girl friend who was at the party with her or the young man who was expecting her to catch up to him so they could take the ferry together raised the first warning. Her mother was not made aware of her status for ten hours after she was last seen at the party at 3 to 3:30 am. It is unclear who notified her mother

Her passport was at the hostel, apparently it is common practice for the hostel to hold passports until a person checks out and pays the bill. She did not checkout. It is unclear whether the girl friend who was at the party with her or the young man who was expecting her to catch up to him so they could take the ferry together raised the first warning. Her mother was not made aware of her status for ten hours after she was last seen at the party at 3 to 3:30 am. It is unclear who notified her mother

The article I posted above said that the hostel manager contacted her mother when Amelia did not check out.

Other than her purse that was found on the rock, what evidence has been put forward that she even started out by beach or path to go to the hostel?
Anyone could have put her purse on the rock.
No one saw her leave, therefore the direction she went is anyone's guess.
Don't even know if she left alone.

Do you agree that reporting her missing to the authorities and alerting her mother in this time frame is remarkably fast considering she was at a beach party? Ten hours later is only 1pm Cambodian time, and it's really not that unusual for someone to pull at this kind of party and show up hungover and sunburnt hours later. I get that they say it's out of character, but they'd only known her a few days, maximum?

Makes me wonder if she was in distress or highly intoxicated when they last saw her, hence the higher concern?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back