Found Deceased Cambodia - Amelia Bambridge, 21, UK backpacker, Koh Rong, 23 Oct 2019

Fellow traveller Ryan Harris told how he initially raised the alarm. “We met in Phnom Penh, travelled down to Koh Rong together and then I visited a neighbouring island with plans to see Amelia again in a few days in Siem Reap.

“I saw her on Wednesday in the day and then left for the island that day.” Mr Harris said he last saw Ms Bambridge when they said goodbye on Wednesday.

When he returned the following day at around 11.30am, Mr Harris was told that Ms Bambridge had not returned from her night out, adding: “Someone mentioned it when I got off the boat at the pier and then again when I got to the hostel.

“My friend messaged me to let me know she still hadn’t shown up and we just kind of went from there.

“No-one had made contact at that point as (her) parents hadn’t even been informed yet.”

He earlier told BBC South East Today: “It is definitely out of character for her to not show up because she always sticks with the group.”

Fellow traveller Caro Harvey, who met Ms Bambridge in Phnom Penh before the pair met up again on the island, described the missing backpacker as “very friendly”.

“I was alone in the hostel… so she came (to) sit with me and we start(ed) to talk. She was looking very happy to travel alone.”

Ms Harvey said she had also been staying at the Nest Beach Club, but added: “My last time talking to her was before she leave for the party because I didn’t go at this one.

“I went to bed before they leave for the party.

“I was at the Nest but the last time I saw her she looks happy like every time.”

Ms Harvey said Ms Bambridge had travelled to the party with other revellers but she did not know who they were.

Missing backpacker’s brother arrives in Cambodia to help search

Do you agree that reporting her missing to the authorities and alerting her mother in this time frame is remarkably fast considering she was at a beach party? Ten hours later is only 1pm Cambodian time, and it's really not that unusual for someone to pull at this kind of party and show up hungover and sunburnt hours later. I get that they say it's out of character, but they'd only known her a few days, maximum?

Makes me wonder if she was in distress or highly intoxicated when they last saw her, hence the higher concern?
If her friends (no matter how new to her they were) saw her highly intoxicated or under the influence of something and then she just disappeared that night I am sort of surprised they didn't raise the alarm first thing in the morning when they realized she had not returned.
Unless they saw her with someone that she knew and assumed a hook up.

Last edited:
If her friends (no matter how new to her they were) saw her highly intoxicated or under the influence of something and then she just disappeared that night I am sort of surprised they didn't raise the alarm first thing in the morning when they realized she had not returned.
Unless they saw her with someone that she knew and assumed a hook up.

Actually, they were probably high and drunk and up til sunrise, and Ryan raised the alarm at 11.30am. I'd be surprised if they were even awake before that point, but their account of the night may have heightened his concern.

I think the management simply contacted the mother because Amelia hadn't turned up and they were simply seeking the payment for the room. The friends also around the same time noticed she was missing and hence it all kicked off

Do people own their own boats and go between islands freely and not rely on the ferry system. Could she have been picked up by a private fishing boat? Doesn't explain leaving her purse on the beach though.

I think the management simply contacted the mother because Amelia hadn't turned up and they were simply seeking the payment for the room. The friends also around the same time noticed she was missing and hence it all kicked off

She wasn't due to check out until Saturday, so the hostel wouldn't have been too concerned. Sounds like Ryan raised the alarm at 11.30am (he knew her fairly well as they'd travelled together for about a week), possibly after going to Police Beach and finding out her bag had been found by staff on the rocks. As Ryan knows Myles and didn't mention him in his initial interviews, I suspect they'd spent the previous night together in Koh Rong Samloem and Ryan knows he's uninvolved.

Do people own their own boats and go between islands freely and not rely on the ferry system. Could she have been picked up by a private fishing boat? Doesn't explain leaving her purse on the beach though.

Possible, but seems unlikely there'd be someone willing to transport her, for free, past 3am, AND she wouldn't tell her friends she was going. But then I guess there's not a whole lot of other leads at the moment.

Maybe she didn't go but someone/or more than one came.

Lets say she was sitting on that rock and someone with a small boat came close and called out to her. Maybe she'd seen him/them before so she waded over to say Hi. They chatted, she mentions that she'll have to walk back to her hostel and they offer her a ride along the coast in the boat. She's glad that she doesn't have to walk through the dark jungle alone and hops in the boat, forgetting her bag on the rock. Things then turn sinister ... and they discard her body further out at sea. Just my speculation.

Lets say she was sitting on that rock and someone with a small boat came close and called out to her. Maybe she'd seen him/them before so she waded over to say Hi. They chatted, she mentions that she'll have to walk back to her hostel and they offer her a ride along the coast in the boat. She's glad that she doesn't have to walk through the dark jungle alone and hops in the boat, forgetting her bag on the rock. Things then turn sinister ... and they discard her body further out at sea. Just my speculation.

I just find it hard to believe no-one would have seen. The rocks are right in front of the bar and there seemed to be quite a lot of people there.

I just find it hard to believe no-one would have seen. The rocks are right in front of the bar and there seemed to be quite a lot of people there.

Maybe the lights from the bar didn't reach that far? There was barely any moonlight that night.

All of these speculations are predicated on HER leaving her bag on the rock. No one saw her leave, no one knows what direction she went. We are going with the assumption she left her purse, but there is nothing to call that a true fact.
She could have been abducted and someone else left the purse to mislead searchers and it may have worked.

There have been some arrests! Sorry, I can't link right now but its on Daily Mail.

Edit: Seems it's not "arrests" like Daily Mail said, it's detaining and questioning. Hopefully some useful information surfaces..

Last edited:
All of these speculations are predicated on HER leaving her bag on the rock. No one saw her leave, no one knows what direction she went. We are going with the assumption she left her purse, but there is nothing to call that a true fact.
She could have been abducted and someone else left the purse to mislead searchers and it may have worked.

Correct. All just speculations. Could've been completely different.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back