GUILTY WI - Alexander Woodworth, 24, stabbed 16 times by Ezra McCandless, Eau Claire, Mar 2018

I wonder if Dateline will do a show about this case.
There is definitely a story there. It could be a mini series.

Anybody think she would have gotten a lesser sentence or NG if she would not have taken the stand?
She didn't do herself any favors but the defense closing sunk it. I think if she hadn't testified and Vishny did the closing she could have gotten 2nd degree.

It bothers me that the detectives didn't even try to recreate the crime scene. With all the blood evidence inside and outside the car, the impressions in the mud, the order of the wounds if at all possible to determine, and a host of other items a well investigated crime scene would provide. Then there is the SCARF. When Ezra described in detail the clothes she was wearing, the order they were in, layers of them, she omitted one thing. If I remember her testimony correctly she did not mention the scarf. I wonder why she left that out and it makes me think it could have played a big part in the murder. It makes me wonder if Alex was blindfolded with it before she attacked. Just a thought that has been bugging me.....
I found that odd as well, but in this case, because they didn't really have to prove she did it, it seemed the State focused instead on getting record of the facts t support the closing argument which told a far more convincing story. Court TV did have an expert on to go through the scene which was helpful for us at least: 10/21/19 WI v. McCandless: A Look at the Crime Scene - Court TV and 10/22/19 WI v. McCandless: Inside the Evidence Room - Court TV

I think it's a good possibility. Her colors were shining awfully bright on the stand. :cool:

I agree Tippy Lynn. I think I said this in a previous post but she did herself no favors on the stand. Her affect in and of itself said she really didn’t give a d**n about what happened to Alex. And that half smile/smirk... coupled with completely unbelievable testimony...she should not have testified. IMO anyway.

I agree Tippy Lynn. I think I said this in a previous post but she did herself no favors on the stand. Her affect in and of itself said she really didn’t give a d**n about what happened to Alex. And that half smile/smirk... coupled with completely unbelievable testimony...she should not have testified. IMO anyway.

Aghhh.....I feel so bad for Alex, his family, friends, the other guys and all the people she has affected so horribly.

Only thing I’d say about the head stabbing is that it’s the temporal bone which is one of the thinnest regions of the skull. It’s around 4mm thick. Yes, still hard and barely yielding, but not impossible obviously.
This article on the science of killing zombies includes interesting information on the stab force needed to penetrate various areas of the skull, and explains the shape of Little League batters’ helmets.
Here’s Where “The Walking Dead” Goes Wrong With Zombies - Facts So Romantic - Nautilus

It bothers me that the detectives didn't even try to recreate the crime scene. With all the blood evidence inside and outside the car, the impressions in the mud, the order of the wounds if at all possible to determine, and a host of other items a well investigated crime scene would provide. Then there is the SCARF. When Ezra described in detail the clothes she was wearing, the order they were in, layers of them, she omitted one thing. If I remember her testimony correctly she did not mention the scarf. I wonder why she left that out and it makes me think it could have played a big part in the murder. It makes me wonder if Alex was blindfolded with it before she attacked. Just a thought that has been bugging me.....

I never thought he could have been blindfolded. Eww that makes me sick. And then I think he tied it around his own neck to stop the bleeding, so sad.

I didn't start following this case until the trial had already started. I'm confused why LE didn't find Alex and the car on the gravel road in Spring Brook until the following day?

I didn't start following this case until the trial had already started. I'm confused why LE didn't find Alex and the car on the gravel road in Spring Brook until the following day?
Because Ezra sent them on a wild goose chase. She said that the incident had happened at a park on the other side of town. Giving her the benefit of doubt, they searched the park first. When nothing was found and Alex was still missing, they went back to search the area around Sepple's house, where they first encountered her. That's when the found Alex's body inside her stuck car.

Because Ezra sent them on a wild goose chase. She said that the incident had happened at a park on the other side of town. Giving her the benefit of doubt, they searched the park first. When nothing was found and Alex was still missing, they went back to search the area around Sepple's house, where they first encountered her. That's when the found Alex's body inside her stuck car.

To add, they also caught her driving on cctv. I don’t know if they followed her route before or after they found Alex though.

I’m still dissatisfied with all explanations I’ve heard re: motive. I think a major piece of this puzzle is missing. Maybe something Jason left out because it made him look bad? Or something between Ezra and Alex that no one else knew?

I know sociopaths like EM often make bizarre choices us “normies” can’t understand.... but I still think there is info we don’t (and probably will never) know about WHY she did this.

To add, they also caught her driving on cctv. I don’t know if they followed her route before or after they found Alex though.

Thanks.

Do you know how far Alex and the car was from farmer Sipple's house?

According to this the Sipple farm was near the scene. Even if she sent LE on a wild goose chase why didn't LE search near the Sipple farm where she was found? It doesn't make sense to me.

Around 4:15 p.m. on March 22, law enforcement received a call from Don Sipple, who lives on the E7600 block near the scene. A young woman, muddy, bloody, in torn clothes and wearing no shoes, had come to Sipple’s house, according to the complaint.

Stanley woman to enter insanity plea in Dunn County stabbing death

Thanks.

Do you know how far Alex and the car was from farmer Sipple's house?
Crime Scene <---->Racy's
upload_2019-11-3_19-11-11.png

Sipple Farm <--->Car/Crime
upload_2019-11-3_19-11-55.png

I’m still dissatisfied with all explanations I’ve heard re: motive. I think a major piece of this puzzle is missing. Maybe something Jason left out because it made him look bad? Or something between Ezra and Alex that no one else knew?

I know sociopaths like EM often make bizarre choices us “normies” can’t understand.... but I still think there is info we don’t (and probably will never) know about WHY she did this.

From what I've put together through all this is it goes back to her f-up while Jason was on leave. She lies about John, tells Alex the truth of it later, Alex tells the police the truth, Ezra's relationships are all falling apart, she is living back at home where things are clearly not optimal for her (I'll add there was probably some serious sibling rivalry that caused her identity issues), things with Jason are tenuous, the girls at the bar hate her, her mom hates Jason/situation so that is on the down, shes in court-prescribed therapy, etc then Jason sends her the pic of the bathroom wall (F*@K EZRA) insinuating Alex did it, is not being responsive to her declarations of love, so Ezra flips out and even though her dad has just had a great talk with her (you know, the 'emotional abuser' is helping her get her life on track), and has hidden her keys because she shouldn't drive, she goes to Eau Claire, shows up at Racy's to give Max The Painting (where Jason would be sure to see it), reads some of her journals to Jason and tells him her plan to confront Alex (who it would seem is on a bitter social revenge plot against her)
He is concerned enough to shadow her all the way there on his bike and this is where the major hole is. Something happened in that apartment - it doesn't work for Jason to just be hanging around then burst in for no reason unless A. he heard something that made him concerned for someones safety or B. heard them having sex IMO. The fallout of all these things, IMO, has Ezra in a state of extreme agitation and then the police show up. She barely gets off the hook. I believe she had already decided to end him at this point and proceeded to drive to the location, which happenes to end in a dump had she been able to get to the culdesac. Optimal murder location. The motive was elimination and maybe a little revenge - with Alex gone there is noone to out her secrets, besmirch her or get in the way of her relationship with Jason, no one to remind her of things she may have been ashamed of. Perhaps he told her something in the car that made her erupt, like he was seeing someone else or thought Ezra was beneath him but whatever it was, she wanted to obliterate it. She stabbed him in the heart, in the head, cut his jugular vein and mutilated his penis. That says it all IMO.

Timeline:
Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Last edited:
From what I've put together through all this is it goes back to her f-up while Jason was on leave. She lies about John, tells Alex the truth of it later, Alex tells the police the truth, Ezra's relationships are all falling apart, she is living back at home where things are clearly not optimal for her (I'll add there was probably some serious sibling rivalry that caused her identity issues), things with Jason are tenuous, the girls at the bar hate her, her mom hates Jason/situation so that is on the down, shes in court-prescribed therapy, etc then Jason sends her the pic of the bathroom wall (F*@K EZRA) insinuating Alex did it, is not being responsive to her declarations of love, so Ezra flips out and even though her dad has just had a great talk with her (you know, the 'emotional abuser' is helping her get her life on track), and has hidden her keys because she shouldn't drive, she goes to Eau Claire, shows up at Racy's to give Max The Painting (where Jason would be sure to see it), reads some of her journals to Jason and tells him her plan to confront Alex (who it would seem is on a bitter social revenge plot against her)
He is concerned enough to shadow her all the way there on his bike and this is where the major hole is. Something happened in that apartment - it doesn't work for Jason to just be hanging around then burst in for no reason unless A. he heard something that made him concerned for someones safety or B. heard them having sex IMO. The fallout of all these things, IMO, has Ezra in a state of extreme agitation and then the police show up. She barely gets off the hook. I believe she had already decided to end him at this point and proceeded to drive to the location, which happenes to end in a dump had she been able to get to the culdesac. Optimal murder location. The motive was elimination and maybe a little revenge - with Alex gone there is noone to out her secrets, besmirch her or get in the way of her relationship with Jason, no one to remind her of things she may have been ashamed of. Perhaps he told her something in the car that made her erupt, like he was seeing someone else or thought Ezra was beneath him but whatever it was, she wanted to obliterate it. She stabbed him in the heart, in the head, cut his jugular vein and mutilated his penis. That says it all IMO.

I agree we're missing pieces of the puzzle at Alex's apartment. We probably will never know.

I don't think her mom hated Jason, did she? I thought he testified he would have been welcomed in their home and had a couple of their phone numbers in his phone?

I also feel like we're still missing something about the paintings, exchange of paintings, etc. Is it common for young artists to trade paintings like that?

10/23/19 WI v. McCandless: Body Cam Video Regarding Alleged Hansen Assault - Court TV

Things Jason said in this interview:

"She wanted to talk to him about some stuff and I was paranoid....she had fire in her eyes."

"I was just worried because like..." (he gets interrupted by the officer)

So Jason knocks and nobody answers, so he opens the door and heard her say, "Let him help you. Let him help you." (What does this mean??)

He then asks if everything is ok. "I was paranoid that someone was going to do something irrational."

After that, the cops talk to Ezra and Alex. Ezra makes a show of trying to find her license but we know she never does. Then after the officer leaves, you can see Jason roll his bike up to the car and exchange words with Ezra and Alex who are about to leave in Ezra's car. What was said?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back