Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since he didn't have a working phone that day, maybe he was gaining intel to see how easy it was to get access into the abandoned home and was planning on making a future youtube video showing an abandoned house.
^^sbm
Harley was also to begin winter break from school for two weeks and figuring out if he could get inside that house probably important to him. I think the idea of two weeks at home with no outlet would definitely be stressing him out.

This was not what I expected at all. I’m so sorry Harley. I hope he didn’t suffer :(
Me, too. I hope that the coat and glasses FELL from the chimney rather than having been PUSHED through by HD. Wanting to believe that if they fell, maybe HD hit his head and was, at least, unconscious and didn't suffer. Thinking that he was alive and conscious and pushed his coat & glasses through in an effort to survive is beyond heart-breaking.

He always has a phone. And often GPS.
He’s gotten stuck more than once. Once at the top of a rusty old roller coaster hanging by his pants. I’m not kidding when I say extreme risk taker.

The thing he keeps saying over and over is that there’s no reason to go in a chimney with a vacant house. It wouldn’t be worth the risk vs 1000 other ways one could get in.

Not to say Harley thought the same but cognitively he’s very aware of how dangerous it would be to enter the chimney (though he’d still do it with a friend).
I feel like that antenna tower, that looked so much like a ladder, might have almost seemed beckoning for him to climb, if that makes. Like he probably wasn't thinking about sliding down chimneys, but then eyes saw that, a fairly easy route straight up to the roof, and there it was. I wonder if it was a spontaneous decision or something he had noticed before. It breaks my heart.

Last edited:
82261486_2628758647200782_7163745728760643584_n.jpg
That is crazy... This is no bigger than a laptop. He must have been terrified when he realized the chimney was blocked and he couldn't escape.

As far as searching this house, one of the LE interviewed last night had said there had been a dog around the perimeter of the house, but didn't hit on anything but didn't know anything about an inside search. So LE had at the very least been aware of the house & did do at least a cursory search.

My theory is Harley was still angry at his parents & took off early with the no notion of going to school. He knew the house was unoccupied & he decided he would show them & just hole up there & maybe scout it for live streams. And it all went terribly wrong.

I bet he threw his coat down & his glasses came off during his descent.

I'm very interested in exact COD.

I hope he didn't suffer for hours, days, a week.

moo
I recall HD told his mom he was sick and didn't want to go to school that day and she refused to let him stay home.

This really does put the size into perspective... there was no way he was ever going to get down there
I wonder if he took his jacket and glasses off before entering the chimney to maybe see if they went all the way through or if he just took off his jacket and then lost his glasses? Does anyone know if he went in feet or head first?

2 days? I'd be freaking if my child was missing an hour! Am I over protective? Dang, that's not right!

Even as someone who ws a habitual runaway and all round terror as a teen, whilst my mum knew better than to come looking for me after I stormed off, (I would just run further away for longer.) she always, always checked to make sure she knew where I was. (usually with friends.) this was before mobiles were a thing. I would have thought this would be the norm.

This is so horribly sad and not at all expected. I suspected a fatal accident of some type, but nothing like this. Imo, Harley had probably passed before he was even reported missing. 41 hours before his parents reported it. 9x13 doesn't allow for much oxygen or breathing space. Just heartbreaking. Poor, poor little guy. Rest in Heavenly peace, sweet boy.

I feel like that antenna tower, that looked so much like a ladder, might have almost seemed beckoning for him to climb, if that makes. Like he probably wasn't thinking about sliding down chimneys, but then eyes saw that, a fairly easy route straight up to the roof, and there it was. I wonder if it was a spontaneous decision or something he had noticed before. It breaks my heart.
I'm inclined to believe this was spontaneous on HD's part-- mostly because this house was reportedly unoccupied for several years and living across the street he certainly would have known that.

Now that I really examine the picture of the location of the roof to the antenna that antenna looks rather far to be able to get on the roof. Maybe it's just the angle.

That’s exactly what I thought until a closer image of the area was added on the thread. It seems as easy to climb up the antenna, put one foot on the roof and climb up from there to the chimney.

I would feel much better if there was some indication that this was something he had ever even once mentioned doing, perhaps to a friend Or if his friends had knowledge of him climbing that tower previously.

None of that would make me feel better about the fixed mindset of LE surrounding the case, that caused them to only focus on one course despite a seemingly obvious possibility that other people had made aware was there.

This chimney accident never even crossed my mind. Googling it seems to have happened to quite a number of people. The details were so sketchy about this case it led me to believe something else.
Yeah. I was convinced this was some sort of misadventure, up until last night. When law enforcement descended on that home, I was then convinced this was foul play.

Turns out it was really “misadventure,” only far more unusual than any of us probably imagined.

I wonder if he took his jacket and glasses off before entering the chimney to maybe see if they went all the way through or if he just took off his jacket and then lost his glasses? Does anyone know if he went in feet or head first?

I was thinking that he tossed the jacket ahead of himself, to 1) cushion the descent and 2) so it wouldn’t rip/get damaged on the way down as well. As far as the glasses, I just wonder if he went head first and they simply slipped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53