Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are vents. Notice the vents and gray chimney crown or cap as shown in the drone video. I will post my comments about the chimney crown later when I get some free time.

This doesn't seem like something you would enter from a roof. It doesn't look like it would be easy to get up there. You seem to understand this stuff (I mean buildings lol). It doesn't make sense. Thanks for the video.

Bless you. In the olden days, when I first got here, I use to know where every source was, all the links were and could find them when required. Since cancer and chemo, I seem to have developed chemo brain and can no longer remember where I saw what, no can I find it. So think you for his. I sometimes misremember facts and I can always count on someone to point that out to me.

What I remembered about Harley was that he could be difficult and could be a discipline problem and that police had been at the home on more than one occasion and that if Harley didn’t like a rule or restriction handed down by his parents, he’d show his displeasure in leaving and staying with friends. And I remembered that they took away his electronics? Phone or computer or something and he was not a happy camper about it, which could have lead to another protest/absence on Harley’s part. At least that was what was thought in the beginning. IMR, MOO

Yes, they took away his electronics:

PORT CLINTON - Records show police were called to the home of missing teen Harley Dilly, who has not been seen for two weeks, five times over the past three years.

2 calls were cited as “unruly juvenile" and 3 calls include “custody dispute,” “civil complaint,” and “disturbance.”

"..Harley's father reportedly reached out to law enforcement around one month ago, following a disagreement about an electronic device being taken away. Officers were called to help calm Harley down.."

Records show police called to Dilly residence 5 times since 2016

Port Clinton Police Chief to Dilly: 'Please call and ask for me. I will personally come to get you'

Yet Harley pulled a num skull move. It's all on Harley. Not the grown ups in charge. Who A. Didn't answer call from school, didn't report him missing for almost two days, and didn't check the house. In spite of all the people who suggested doing exactly that. Check empty,vacant,rental homes,check empty vacant,rental,vacation homes,check empty,vacant,vacation,rental, homes. I'm sorry but poor Harley can't win. Not even in death. That is who this all about, who we are all here for.
Again I'm sorry. But that is the truth. :*(
I hope you don't think that is what I am saying...

I never once put it all on him. I think it is awful that he wasn't reported missing sooner. And felt even worse that he didn't think he had any place to get warm at 6 am besides climbing down a chimney.

My point was that it wasn't the first responders who were to blame and they shouldn't be the ones taking the heat. JMO

Last edited:
I hope you don't think that is what I am saying...

I never once put it all on him. I think it is awful that he wasn't reported missing sooner. And felt even worse that he didn't think he had any place to get warm at 6 am besides climbing down a chimney.

My point was that it wasn't the first responders who were to blame and they shouldn't bode the ones taking the heat. JMO
Ok. Understood. I'm sorry. I do hope a lesson is learned from this case,to check it out.

Just catching up today, but please note that the findlayohio .org is not MSM. It appears to be a wordpress blog that is designed to simulate MSM.

Posts containing that link and all responses related to it are being removed.

ETA: Sandusky Register is allowed, as is the Twitter account of Roberta Redfern of The Blade. If I'm missing some posts, please use the Report feature. Thanks !!

Last edited:
Many questioned the leadership decisions Port Clinton police Chief Rob Hickman made in the days immediately after the Dilly family reported 14-year-old Harley Dilly missing. The chief appeared to lack a sense of urgency, seemingly too confident Harley was a runaway who would come home when he got hungry. Port Clinton police chief fails leadership test

Many questioned the leadership decisions Port Clinton police Chief Rob Hickman made in the days immediately after the Dilly family reported 14-year-old Harley Dilly missing. The chief appeared to lack a sense of urgency, seemingly too confident Harley was a runaway who would come home when he got hungry. Port Clinton police chief fails leadership test

As 99 chiefs out of 100 would have done.

As 99 chiefs out of 100 would have done.

I agree. Unless there is some crazy made-for-tv bad CSI Miami episode cover-up going on, I don’t see how the actual investigation could have went different. Now, will I criticize some aspects of it, yes. But for me, personally, it more of the PC and the SM aspect of it. But, from what I’ve read compared to cases similar to Harleys, they called in other LEO better equipped than their small town force, it was blasted nation wide. Which is so much freaking more than other children have got. so much did go into finding him. Before anybody should really criticize the Chief... why didn’t all the other agencies think to check the house either? I do not think he lied about having those other more experienced people involved, so why didn’t they look there either?

I agree. Unless there is some crazy made-for-tv bad CSI Miami episode cover-up going on, I don’t see how the actual investigation could have went different. Now, will I criticize some aspects of it, yes. But for me, personally, it more of the PC and the SM aspect of it. But, from what I’ve read compared to cases similar to Harleys, they called in other LEO better equipped than their small town force, it was blasted nation wide. Which is so much freaking more than other children have got. so much did go into finding him. Before anybody should really criticize the Chief... why didn’t all the other agencies think to check the house either? I do not think he lied about having those other more experienced people involved, so why didn’t they look there either?

What's the saying "too many cooks in the kitchen"? Lack of communication could be one issue. If they were looking for a runaway they would have been more inclined to look at houses with easy entry or that were broken into. they might have focused on his electronics devices. I don't know if anyone would think to look in a chimney unless they were looking for a body.

I wonder if Harley's house was equipped with a fireplace? If yes, he may have made the assumption that every house with a chimney also has a fireplace.
Heck, maybe he even tried to access his own house via the chimney at some point... Imo

It's hard for you to believe he entered through the attic and managed to descend more than a floor to his death if he couldn't breathe?

Wouldn't he descend pretty quickly at first, due to gravity? And then at some point, he would be wedged in?

If he didn't enter the chimney from the roof, how did he get in?

Harley was wedged into the space. So tight, his lungs could not expand. If that is the case, gravity would have no bearing. I don't know how Harley got into the house but I am doubting it was from the roof-top chimney.

JMO

I wonder if Harley's house was equipped with a fireplace? If yes, he may have made the assumption that every house with a chimney also has a fireplace.
Heck, maybe he even tried to access his own house via the chimney at some point...

I had wondered that too but assumed later that people with fireplaces probably know they don't stay wide open all the way to the top. I don't have a fireplace and I never knew myself until I was "this years old" and read about this stuff here. Websleuths encourages me to learn new things!

^^sbm
There's no evidence that I'm aware of that HD was ever inside the house. I believe you've made this allegation before -- please help us with the link. TIA.
BBM. His coat and glasses were found INSIDE the house. If the chimney opening prevented Harley from expanding his chest to breathe, I think it is highly doubtful he made it from the roof all the way through the attic to the second floor.

If there was no room for his chest to expand, there was no room for him to push anything thru a flue which I find it highly doubtful he even knew was there because it was pitch black. Even the chimney "expert" quoted in this news article wanted to remain anonymous. I can certainly understand why.

JMO
Expert explains chimney design to surmise how Harley Dilly's coat, glasses were on 2nd floor of house
“Over in the chimney Harley’s jacked and glasses were pushed from the chimney through a flue and into a second floor of the home," Hickman said.

BBM. His coat and glasses were found INSIDE the house. If the chimney opening prevented Harley from expanding his chest to breathe, I think it is highly doubtful he made it from the roof all the way through the attic to the second floor.

If there was no room for his chest to expand, there was no room for him to push anything thru a flue which I find it highly doubtful he even knew was there because it was pitch black. Even the chimney "expert" quoted in this news article wanted to remain anonymous. I can certainly understand why.

JMO
Expert explains chimney design to surmise how Harley Dilly's coat, glasses were on 2nd floor of house
“Over in the chimney Harley’s jacked and glasses were pushed from the chimney through a flue and into a second floor of the home," Hickman said.

I don’t see Hickman’s quote in your link. Is it in the video? Here’s what the expert in your link is described as saying:

According to the expert, looking into the opening, the smoke shelf can be seen and that would appear to be the bottom of the chimney. However, the opening then takes a sharp twist.

The flue, which could be angled in the open position, is located there. If the glasses and coat were dropped, they would be deflected onto the floor. Besides the chimney opening twisting at that site, it also narrows to roughly six inches, making it impossible for anyone of any size to squeeze through that area.

He seems to be saying that Harley dropped his coat and glasses into the chimney before entering it. I imagine he wanted less bulk and didn’t want to break his glasses.
JMO

Last edited:

JMO

Is it weird that the flue would be open when the house was unoccupied? An open flue lets in cold air. Animals like squirrels and birds get into chimneys most of the time a closed flue prevents them from getting into your home. My grandparents had dead squirrels removed from their chimney at least once. They got trapped. It seems odd that his jacket and glasses would be next to the fireplace.

Heck, maybe he even tried to access his own house via the chimney at some point... Imo
The house where HD was found was reported as located on Fulton St. Did Harley live on Fulton Street or was his home on E. 5th St (around the corner versus across the street)?

Trying to determine if he had a chimney...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53