Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. What do you think could have been done differently that would have resulted in a different outcome?

Do you think someone took Harley to that house and stuffed him in the chimney? Do you think other kids were involved who ran when he got stuck?

Harley was probably already dead by the time anyone realized he was missing and wounded the alarm, so finding him earlier would not have saved his life.

I’m interested to hear your ideas of what would have made a difference. MOO

I have quite clearly stated that the what befell Harley couldn't be changed due to the fact that no one responded to the school phone calls.
I however have a very strong belief that things here are not quite as they appear. outright speculation of the events surrounding Harley's death are not allowed to be discussed without MSM or 'proof' so there is nothing to say there.

All I am doing is asking questions of the facts as they have been reported.
That's it.

I have quite clearly stated that the what befell Harley couldn't be changed due to the fact that no one responded to the school phone calls.
I however have a very strong belief that things here are not quite as they appear. outright speculation of the events surrounding Harley's death are not allowed to be discussed without MSM or 'proof' so there is nothing to say there.

All I am doing is asking questions of the facts as they have been reported.
That's it.
Thanks for answering me.

Yet Harley pulled a num skull move. It's all on Harley. Not the grown ups in charge. Who A. Didn't answer call from school, didn't report him missing for almost two days, and didn't check the house. In spite of all the people who suggested doing exactly that. Check empty,vacant,rental homes,check empty vacant,rental,vacation homes,check empty,vacant,vacation,rental, homes. I'm sorry but poor Harley can't win. Not even in death. That is who this all about, who we are all here for.
Again I'm sorry. But that is the truth. :*(

This

Are those 6 skylights on the top of the "chimney house"? Does anyone know how big they are? I think they must be skylights, not vents. To lighten up those top floor rooms.

Because I feel it would be due diligence, if the whole scene could be independently forensically investigated by an external agency.
Yet Harley pulled a num skull move. It's all on Harley. Not the grown ups in charge. Who A. Didn't answer call from school, didn't report him missing for almost two days, and didn't check the house. In spite of all the people who suggested doing exactly that. Check empty,vacant,rental homes,check empty vacant,rental,vacation homes,check empty,vacant,vacation,rental, homes. I'm sorry but poor Harley can't win. Not even in death. That is who this all about, who we are all here for.
Again I'm sorry. But that is the truth. :*(

IMO MOO I am having a very hard time with the overall fact that this child wasn’t reported missing ASAP. I’m sorry but everything else ok let’s excuse it A way if we must. I don’t see or feel foul play here. That’s not my issue I think it could of been handled differently but I’m not a LE so I try not to judge. But I am a mom! I have been one for 28 years. I have raised 3 children to adulthood. 2 of them male currently I have very much like this family a 15 yr old she has some special needs however and I also have a 41/2 year old male. So these 2 are currently in the home still under my care . However if any of my now adult children or the 2 still children went missing for any period of time ever at all period no if and or buts about it. I would report them missing. I’m struggling with the non reporting of a minor child by the adults in charge. No the parents aren’t suspected in the death of the child. But imo moo etc. there should be something illegal about this and this alone.

It’s not big deal to most it seems or it wouldn’t of made a difference whatever.! But a child on my watch goes missing and it’s like no big deal to anyone seems totally wrong I can’t even imagine I would. Think that would be child neglect or something maybe I’m wrong. But as a mom I can judge and have a opinion on that fact. I’m also having a hard time with no one even mentioning I should of called him in sooner. Like if someone would even accept that they are at fault in this fact and own it then I’d feel so differently. But to blame everyone but the one person responsible for this child and no the child himself is a child , that’s not who I’m talking about. He did a stupid thing maybe but how can anyone blame him but avoid the elephant in the room. This will prob get me in trouble but I’m having a hard time with this fact.

Search dogs & the decision not to let volunteer searches help. This is sometimes a tough call. You would think more hands on deck the better. IMO, sometimes that’s not the case at all. IMO, untrained volunteer searchers can inadvertently remove, miss or destroy valuable clues such as footprints or dropped articles. Generally, you want them away from the major search area, especially the PLS of the missing.

Sometimes untrained volunteers will be asked to help with passing out flyers away from the major search area or locals will be asked to provide knowledge of the search area. Dogs are trained to work in contaminated search areas, because it happens often, but it’s always best in many cases to ask for non-trained folks to stand down. Also, untrained volunteer searchers can be a liability if they are hurt or commit a crime during a search (example: trespassing / breaking and entering).

When to call in the search dogs? IMO, that depends on the case and the risk in front of you. A small child that wandered off? Fast deployment of dogs. Someone with dementia or Alzheimer’s that left on foot? Fast deployment of dogs. Strong suspicion or evidence a crime has been committed? Fast deployment of dogs. A teen who did not show for school and may have a history of not coming home for short periods of time or being where they are not supposed to be…. This might not result in a hasty deployment of dogs.

What the dogs did or did not indicate on during a search – we may never know. Some LE agencies will release limited information given to them by handlers, most will not. All my opinion.
BBM

Law enforcement did not want people searching until they completed aerial searches. I assume because they could spot a person thinking it's Harley when it's really a searcher, thus, alot of searchers would be distracting in this way.

"..The police department announced Jan. 6 that officers would be completing aerial searches with the assistance of Texas EquuSearch, the Ohio State Highway Patrol and United States Customs and Border Protection. Department leaders asked the public to allow them to finish their aerial search before joining in to help.

Those who do plan to aid in the search for Harley are reminded not to trespass on private property unless they have permission from the owner. If you should come across something suspicious, call 419-734-3121.."

Port Clinton Police Chief to Dilly: 'Please call and ask for me. I will personally come to get you'

IMO MOO I am having a very hard time with the overall fact that this child wasn’t reported missing ASAP. I’m sorry but everything else ok let’s excuse it A way if we must. I don’t see or feel foul play here. That’s not my issue I think it could of been handled differently but I’m not a LE so I try not to judge. But I am a mom! I have been one for 28 years. I have raised 3 children to adulthood. 2 of them male currently I have very much like this family a 15 yr old she has some special needs however and I also have a 41/2 year old male. So these 2 are currently in the home still under my care . However if any of my now adult children or the 2 still children went missing for any period of time ever at all period no if and or buts about it. I would report them missing. I’m struggling with the non reporting of a minor child by the adults in charge. No the parents aren’t suspected in the death of the child. But imo moo etc. there should be something illegal about this and this alone.

It’s not big deal to most it seems or it wouldn’t of made a difference whatever.! But a child on my watch goes missing and it’s like no big deal to anyone seems totally wrong I can’t even imagine I would. Think that would be child neglect or something maybe I’m wrong. But as a mom I can judge and have a opinion on that fact. I’m also having a hard time with no one even mentioning I should of called him in sooner. Like if someone would even accept that they are at fault in this fact and own it then I’d feel so differently. But to blame everyone but the one person responsible for this child and no the child himself is a child , that’s not who I’m talking about. He did a stupid thing maybe but how can anyone blame him but avoid the elephant in the room. This will prob get me in trouble but I’m having a hard time with this fact.

Many people feel as you do, that Harley should have been reported missing sooner.
This is why there is this petition:

Petition hopes to create 'Harley's Law,' requiring parents to report missing children in timely manner
Posted: 9:10 PM, Jan 19, 2020
Updated: 8:49 AM, Jan 20, 2020

Petition hopes to create 'Harley's Law' in honor of Port Clinton teen

PORT CLINTON, Ohio — A petition has been created in hopes that a law will be created to prevent situations similar to the disappearance of Port Clinton teen Harley Dilly, which ended tragically last week.

Harley was not reported missing for two days after he was last seen leaving for school and members of the community are trying to change the standard for when children are reported missing.

A petition created on Change.org is calling for a law to be created that would legally require parents to report missing children in a timely manner.

Creators of the petition plan to send it to the Ohio State House, the Ohio State Senate and Ohio Governor Mike DeWine.

Until everything is finished, all reports are back, every I dotted, it’s considered an ongoing investigation
My question is why? If the injuries are consistent with accidentally being stuck in the chimney, why would a tox screen change that if they have no reason to believe otherwise? Is it just a formality or did they find something during the investigation to make them believe there’s a chance that it’s not an accident but they need the results to prove that?

I believe fear is at the root for delay in reporting anything nowadays. Everyone wants to blame someone for something.

I think in the Dilly case, since he was a bit of a handful, because he had run away in the past, the parents were conditioned to ride it out and see if he returned on his own. Then as time passed, there may have been a fear that they would be found at fault for him running away, child negligence, child endangerment, something.

There are so many “blame” laws now. The ones if drug addicts share drugs and someone dies, the ones if a sister gives her brother a pill and he dies, the ones if someone dies while you were using drugs with them, all can be brought up on murder charges depending on which state you are in.

No one seems to be responsible for their own choices and the consequences of those choices. Those living seem to be responsible. And someone always wants their pound of flesh.

There are no easy answers and I am not letting anyone off the hook.

All of this is my own observations based on a lot of life packed into my 69 years. MOO, JMO, IMO, IME

I believe fear is at the root for delay in reporting anything nowadays. Everyone wants to blame someone for something.

I think in the Dilly case, since he was a bit of a handful, because he had run away in the past, the parents were conditioned to ride it out and see if he returned on his own. Then as time passed, there may have been a fear that they would be found at fault for him running away, child negligence, child endangerment, something.

There are so many “blame” laws now. The ones if drug addicts share drugs and someone dies, the ones if a sister gives her brother a pill and he dies, the ones if someone dies while you were using drugs with them, all can be brought up on murder charges depending on which state you are in.

No one seems to be responsible for their own choices and the consequences of those choices. Those living seem to be responsible. And someone always wants their pound of flesh.

There are no easy answers and I am not letting anyone off the hook.

All of this is my own observations based on a lot of life packed into my 69 years. MOO, JMO, IMO, IME

He had not runaway before. His mom said "I don’t believe that he was a runaway. I’m going to say it. I don’t care. He is not a runaway. That’s not like him. He does not do this stuff. He’s a mama’s boy. He has a routine.” Sandusky Register Also he is considered a minor at 14 and under his parent's care. There are no easy answers.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

What I remember the reporting being is that a sledgehammer was being taken into the house, nothing about it being bloody, nothing about hitting Harley with it. I would think any intelligent human being would think it was to get Harley out of the chimney, once it became clear that’s where Harley had been. Secondly, where does the bloody come from? Had it been used on the bricks to get Harley out of the chimney, Harley was dead. His heart was not pumping, so where would all this blood have come from three weeks after his death?

The fact that the news report didn’t jump to conclusions and say what it was for to me was commendable. I dunno. Just weird IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree my issue it at the end of the day a Minor is still a minor and no matter how hard it is to deal with LE , the adult responsibility out weighs all else. But you also can’t be blaming the school when you your very self are doing the exact same thing. And remember that the calls to LE about this child were only one or 2. It was spun to be that it happened more often. But that was the media spin not the factual truth. I never called LE on a child out of control either and yes with one of mine we had issues. But it wasn’t something I felt LE needed involved in. I didn’t want my kid afraid of LE nor did I chose to go that route as a scare tactic to get mine to behave but every child is different. But that’s another thing that’s hard to understand if we are using LE for minor things then to not call them when there is actual danger that’s hard to understand. And we get mixed messages on if he was a kid who ran off often or not. None of the msm reports are consistent. I assure you it’s so hard to make that call to report you can’t find your child. But you have to put that fear aside and make the call it’s about your child not you

Are those 6 skylights on the top of the "chimney house"? Does anyone know how big they are? I think they must be skylights, not vents. To lighten up those top floor rooms.
Those are vents. Notice the vents and gray chimney crown or cap as shown in the drone video. I will post my comments about the chimney crown later when I get some free time.

He had not runaway before. His mom said "I don’t believe that he was a runaway. I’m going to say it. I don’t care. He is not a runaway. That’s not like him. He does not do this stuff. He’s a mama’s boy. He has a routine.” Sandusky Register Also he is considered a minor at 14 and under his parent's care. There are no easy answers.

I think the confusion about Harley - being a runaway or not - comes from the fact that he did leave home for 1 or 2 nights sometimes to sleep at a friend's house, but then he came back home.

"...According to Port Clinton Police Chief Rob Hickman when asked if Harley had run away before, Hickman stated that his typical behavior is that if something is wrong, he will leave for the night. He has a few friends in town that he stays with and officers have talked to those friends. However, it is not typical for Harley to be gone for more than a night or two.."

Port Clinton Police Chief to Dilly: 'Please call and ask for me. I will personally come to get you'

This poor kid. In an autopsy can they tell from the lungs if someone asphyxiated in a chimney? Compressive asphyxia could be caused by getting stuck in a chimney, it could be caused another way. I'm wondering what would make a kid climb into a chimney from the roof. It doesn't seem like something most kids would do on their own. If they are with friends that's another story. If coat was thrown or fell into the chimney (that would involve people being on the roof) you could reach to get it and fall in. It seems odd to me. MOO.

I think the confusion about Harley - being a runaway or not - comes from the fact that he did leave home for 1 or 2 nights sometimes to sleep at a friend's house, but then he came back home.

"...According to Port Clinton Police Chief Rob Hickman when asked if Harley had run away before, Hickman stated that his typical behavior is that if something is wrong, he will leave for the night. He has a few friends in town that he stays with and officers have talked to those friends. However, it is not typical for Harley to be gone for more than a night or two.."

Bless you. In the olden days, when I first got here, I use to know where every source was, all the links were and could find them when required. Since cancer and chemo, I seem to have developed chemo brain and can no longer remember where I saw what, no can I find it. So think you for his. I sometimes misremember facts and I can always count on someone to point that out to me.

What I remembered about Harley was that he could be difficult and could be a discipline problem and that police had been at the home on more than one occasion and that if Harley didn’t like a rule or restriction handed down by his parents, he’d show his displeasure in leaving and staying with friends. And I remembered that they took away his electronics? Phone or computer or something and he was not a happy camper about it, which could have lead to another protest/absence on Harley’s part. At least that was what was thought in the beginning. IMR, MOO

If there was foul play involved could he have had a pedophile stalking him online and through video games. I looked at his videos the ones with his face and not a videogame thing have more views which could because people like me are wondering why he died. I noticed he is shirtless in some of the videos. I know video games can be a good hunting ground for predators that want to talk to kids around his age. My son is 15 and he had an issue with a guy before. When kids play games for hours, they feel they know the people they are talking to. Sometimes kids do play with friends and they don't realize a pedophile could be in their group in a game (or however it works) and listening to details about their lives. This is just something I worry about as a parent. MOO

My question is why? If the injuries are consistent with accidentally being stuck in the chimney, why would a tox screen change that if they have no reason to believe otherwise? Is it just a formality or did they find something during the investigation to make them believe there’s a chance that it’s not an accident but they need the results to prove that?

It's good they are checking, they might be looking to see if drugs could explain why he would go into a chimney they could also be looking for signs that he was drugged or maybe not conscious when he went in. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$