CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle and uniform, 23 killed - Portapique, NS *suspect dead*

Status
Not open for further replies.
An Ontario couple who lived in Nova Scotia after recently retiring are presumed dead after a mass shooter went on a deadly rampage and set their house on fire.

The two sons of Dawn and Frank Gulenchyn, Jon and Ryan Farrington, said Monday they have little hope their mother and step-father will be found alive and have been asked to provide DNA samples to authorities.

Ontario couple presumed dead after Nova Scotia mass shooter set their house on fire

*photos of some victims at link
Omg - how awful!!

My reaction to the killer's timing. I don't see Covid as a motivation. He collected expensive toys and owned multiple properties. Sounds like he lived a rather insular lifestyle anyway according to what I've read from people who knew him. So I doubt think financial difficulty or Covid isolation were factors.

IMO, Covid shutdown provided him the perfect opportunity. He was not expected to be anywhere at specific times. The emergency enhanced the trust people place in authority figures. He knew where his initial planned victims would be, and did everything to increase the odds that they would not be alarmed by posing as an RCMP officer. There'd be fewer witnesses around their homes because of the pandemic. The roads would be clear for a quick getaway.

The Covid shutdown helped him with targets of opportunity too. Fewer vehicles out but enough on major roads for him to target drivers one at a time. Not enough traffic so there'd be other drivers to witness in real time or to intervene.

The timing also allows him to get the most attention for his spree. And it amplifies the harm caused by denying the victims of those he killed the comfort of others as they grieve--especially important to him IMO for the domestic violence and RCMP victims.

I can see shades of Stephen Paddock.

Since first hearing this dreadful news, there has been nothing but more heart-wrenching updates.

My deepest prayers are for the families who are enduring the most awful suffering and loss of their loved ones.

I believe the love and closeness of these Nova Scotian communities are surrounding these families with support, strength, love and compassion.

They will ensure that no one grieves alone.

Each one of their lost loved ones will always be remembered, in their own beautiful "light".

Last edited:
Very interesting article regarding the psychology of the killer's law enforcement impersonation.

“It happens far more often than we think it does,” said University of Colorado Denver criminologist Mary Dodge, whose research on police impersonation has turned up more than 300 cases around the world. “It’s an easy crime of opportunity.”

She found that when wannabes do cross the line into criminality, it’s because there’s been a challenge to their authoritarian nature that they must confront.

As familiar as she is with the archetype, Dr. Dodge couldn’t come up with any analogous case. “This is an outlier,” she said.

Nova Scotia shooter’s profile an ‘outlier’ to the police impersonator archetype

Very interesting article regarding the psychology of the killer's law enforcement impersonation.

“It happens far more often than we think it does,” said University of Colorado Denver criminologist Mary Dodge, whose research on police impersonation has turned up more than 300 cases around the world. “It’s an easy crime of opportunity.”

She found that when wannabes do cross the line into criminality, it’s because there’s been a challenge to their authoritarian nature that they must confront.

As familiar as she is with the archetype, Dr. Dodge couldn’t come up with any analogous case. “This is an outlier,” she said.

Canada seems to have outliers, like the former Canadian Military Colonel (Russell Williams) who flew for the Queen and then became a serial abductor /rapist /murderer in his 50s.

Being an outlier just means he knew he was abnormal and kept it to himself as much as possible while quietly choosing / pursuing the wrong direction.

It's like he did both, as a perfectionist first he revered and then he co-opted.

From the article:

“Often there was no nefarious intent,” said University of Western Ontario criminologist Mike Arntfield, who encountered a few people fitting the description during his 15 years with the London Police Service. “It was compulsion, part of a broader fantasy world they had developed. They were forever dancing on the line of personating an officer.”

The shooter’s background bears the hallmarks of two distinct but opposing personality types familiar to police: the wannabe, who generally reveres law enforcement, and the criminal impersonator, who co-opts the badge for illicit purposes.

But it wasn’t just any replica cruiser. A picture of the car shows an exact copy of a modern Ford Taurus RCMP cruiser, right down to the rims, decals and lights – what’s collectively known as the car’s “strike package.”

As well, he had two handguns and a shotgun similar to police-issue firearms. “He was an enthusiast,” Mr. Rushton said. “He was a perfectionist, wanted to have everything just right.”​

An Ontario couple who lived in Nova Scotia after recently retiring are presumed dead after a mass shooter went on a deadly rampage and set their house on fire.

The two sons of Dawn and Frank Gulenchyn, Jon and Ryan Farrington, said Monday they have little hope their mother and step-father will be found alive and have been asked to provide DNA samples to authorities.

Ontario couple presumed dead after Nova Scotia mass shooter set their house on fire

*photos of some victims at link

Mistywaters posted something earlier today about another couple that saw him at the door with guns and hid. I wondered why he didn't set their house on fire. Was that the couple that called 911 to report the name of the crazed killer?

He killed some people intentionally, and others simply because they were there.

Wow, I didn't notice that on first reading. Domestic murders are no less evil than other murders, Toronto Sun writer guy. Geez. He shouldn't have done any of it! EVER!

Didn't he kill is ex girlfriend and her new boyfriend? That makes it domestic. Did the domestic situation drive him to unreasonable anger, covid-19 self-isolation tipped him over the edge?

He may be one of those people who perceives offences and personal injuries, and reacts as though they have happened regardless of reality.

“He was a perfectionist, wanted to have everything just right.”
Snipped

The thing about extreme perfectionists, they are rigid. They can't bend or be flexible, so when something isn't absolutely perfect by their definition, they can snap.

His standards are likely high and noble, in his eyes. When he heard about a woman in need of dentures, he supplied them. But I suspect he wasn't being generous as much as he was bestowing his approval on someone he deemed worthy of charity. my opinion

He can make a patrol car look perfect, but when a person is imperfect (like cops who park in his parking lot), he can't control it except by snapping and punishing them - making them know they are not perfect. He was such a jerk about that parking incident - that tells us so much about him.

So either something in his personal life went wrong or something with his business went wrong (or both) that he couldn't control and that seemed wrong, imperfect, unfair. (My hunch is financials or business will be related to his anger.)

And by "snapped," I don't mean instantly snapped. This was a planned massacre. I mean he couldn't accept something and the only alternative was to "snap" into extreme reaction to perceived injustice, imperfection.

jmo

I pieced together a list of 20 possible victims in different locations. All have been named in MSM (CBC, CTV, Global, the Chronicle Herald, and others) as either deceased or missing.

Portapique 11 victims (late Saturday night)

Lisa Kierstead McCully
, schoolteacher in Debert (mother of 2 school-aged children)

Jamie Blair
Greg Blair

(2 young sons and dog, Zoe, survived)

Emily Tuck, 17 and parents
Jolene Oliver
Aaron Tuck

(moved to NS from Alberta to be near Aaron’s mother)

Dawn Madsen Gulenchyn
Frank Gulenchyn

(recently retired to the area from Oshawa, ON)

Elizabeth Joanne Thomas
John Joseph Zahl

Portapique Beach Road, home burned

Corrie Ellison, 42, social worker, Truro — was visiting his father in Portapique.

Wentworth Valley 4 victims (Sunday morning -- 8am)

Alanna Jenkins
Sean Mcleod
(possibly acquainted with shooter but they weren’t friends per Alanna’s father, Dan Jenkins).
Resided on Hunter Road, West Wentworth

Tom Bagley, retired fire-fighter (went to help neighbours Alanna and Sean when he noticed their home was ablaze)

Lillian Hyslop, out for her regular morning walk on Highway 4, Wentworth

Debert 2 victims (Sunday, mid-morning)

Heather O’Brien (Truro VON nurse, mother, grandmother)

Kristen Beaton (Truro VON, leaves behind husband and young son)

Shubenacadie 3 victims (Sunday, mid-late morning)

Gina Marie Goulet denturist, two time cancer survivor. (*** not confirmed by MSM, but I’m reading on SM that Gina’s German Shepherd, Ginger, was shot twice but survived and is home with friends and her Chihuahua, Ellie, is okay ***)

Joey Webber (from Wyses Corner) leaves behind his partner and 3 daughters — went to run an errand Sunday morning and didn’t come home.

Const. Heidi Stevenson, 23 year RCMP veteran, leaves behind her husband and two children

I pieced together a list of 20 possible victims in different locations. All have been named in MSM (CBC, CTV, Global, the Chronicle Herald, and others) as either deceased or missing.

Portapique 11 victims (late Saturday night)

Lisa Kierstead McCully
, schoolteacher in Debert (mother of 2 school-aged children)

Jamie Blair
Greg Blair

(2 young sons and dog, Zoe, survived)

Emily Tuck, 17 and parents
Jolene Oliver
Aaron Tuck

(moved to NS from Alberta to be near Aaron’s mother)

Dawn Madsen Gulenchyn
Frank Gulenchyn

(recently retired to the area from Oshawa, ON)

Elizabeth Joanne Thomas
John Joseph Zahl

Portapique Beach Road, home burned

Corrie Ellison, 42, social worker, Truro — was visiting his father in Portapique.

Wentworth Valley 4 victims (Sunday morning -- 8am)

Alanna Jenkins
Sean Mcleod
(possibly acquainted with shooter but they weren’t friends per Alanna’s father, Dan Jenkins).
Resided on Hunter Road, West Wentworth

Tom Bagley, retired fire-fighter (went to help neighbours Alanna and Sean when he noticed their home was ablaze)

Lillian Hyslop, out for her regular morning walk on Highway 4, Wentworth

Debert 2 victims (Sunday, mid-morning)

Heather O’Brien (Truro VON nurse, mother, grandmother)

Kristen Beaton (Truro VON, leaves behind husband and young son)

Shubenacadie 3 victims (Sunday, mid-late morning)

Gina Marie Goulet denturist, two time cancer survivor. (*** not confirmed by MSM, but I’m reading on SM that Gina’s German Shepherd, Ginger, was shot twice but survived and is home with friends and her Chihuahua, Ellie, is okay ***)

Joey Webber (from Wyses Corner) leaves behind his partner and 3 daughters — went to run an errand Sunday morning and didn’t come home.

Const. Heidi Stevenson, 23 year RCMP veteran, leaves behind her husband and two children

Have Alanna and Sean been found? I think they are mentioned in my last linked article as missing. I may be an update behind. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alafair