Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have decided that I am not going back to the office even if I get fired. I have worked from home for 10 weeks and I have a very strong work ethic. I am too scared to go back even though I have an office with a door. If I get fired, I will have to figure out how to pay the extremely high cost of health insurance. I can use COBRA for 18 months and it will be outrageously expensive but that is a choice that I will have to abide by. I am too scared to venture out very far. I think my co-workers have taken this virus seriously, but I am still scared.

Thank you: I am very concerned about contracting this virus en-route through 6 states but I am trying to calm down and think rationally. My plan is to have a bag with paper towels, sanitizer, gloves and masks. When my husband gets gas he will use a glove, then properly dispose of it. When we go into the gas station to use the rest room we will be masked. I don't plan to wipe every surface I touch: this is too overwhelming. I think the important thing is to wash and scrub my hands really well, use lots of hand sanitizer and don't touch my face. We will have to get fast food and eat in the car. I will remain a nervous wreck until we get home and then I will remain a nervous wreck for at least 5 days after we get home!!! I am dreading this trip.
That sounds like a good plan. Take a mini cooler for drinks and snacks. The fewer stops the better.

But you will have to stretch your legs and take some breaks. You will get through this and be really happy to finally be home!

I wish I shared your optimism. However, as a restaurant owner in California, I cannot.
Personally at least in this State, I forsee a blood bath of independent businesses closing for good.
We will probably be one of them.
We cannot earn money at 50% occupancy. We are losing money at 50% occupancy.
Hubby and I refuse to put anymore of our savings into this business or any other business in California.
It's an upside down world at the moment, and actually has been for a long-time here.
<modsnip: politicizing>

I feel so awful that this is happening to you and to many other businesses. In other times of crisis, hurricanes, ice storms, fires, it seems that people rally behind those who suffered loses and help get them going again. But this pandemic makes it so much harder for the community provide the support that businesses need. The needs are enormous and the social structures that may have provided support in other circumstances are disconnected and struggling to know how to help.

One small thing that our community is doing to help support our restaurant (we have only one) is that folks can submit a name of a person, mostly seniors, who could use a hot meal, and/or pay for a hot meal to be delivered to someone who needs a bit of caring. Volunteers deliver the hot meals twice a week, something like Meals on Wheels, only there's no cost to the recipient. We had 60 volunteers sign up from our village of 400 souls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Symptomatic? What the heck?
What is it going to take for people that have symptoms to not be around others and stay home?
I just don’t get it.

The secretary at work who went in Tuesday with a fever and feeling ill and was sent home went for a Covid test and has been strangely silent ever since. If she has it, she exposed several teachers and who knows how many students. The kicker is she is not a good secretary and makes so many mistakes and is very flakey that we really don’t need her at all so she’s lucky to have a job.

I would prefer he not golf with these guys for the reasons that you mention: To my way of thinking, this is no team for "buddies": this is a time to try and survive: we are both in our 70's and in that vulnerable category. What kind of wipes are you describing? there is no way to get Clorox wipes- are there any other kind i could get at Walmart?
How about hand sanitizer?
Perhaps they could wear golf gloves?

The secretary at work who went in Tuesday with a fever and feeling ill and was sent home went for a Covid test and has been strangely silent ever since. If she has it, she exposed several teachers and who knows how many students. The kicker is she is not a good secretary and makes so many mistakes and is very flakey that we really don’t need her at all so she’s lucky to have a job.
She must be pretty flakey if she has a fever and feels ill then decides to go to a crowded workplace full of students...during a global pandemic...:rolleyes:

A Trans-Tasman “travel bubble” looks set to happen as soon as July, where Australians and New Zealanders can travel freely between the two countries without the need to quarantine. Israel wants in too, but including other countries is not yet on the cards

Trans-Tasman travel bubble: Israel looking to be included

I am so happy to see this. It sets the standard high and rewards countries that aimed to eradicate covid within their borders, and met their goals.

I fear that on my side of the globe, eradication isn't even in the plans. Such a shame, because it's still within human power to completely stop the spread of covid.

I would prefer he not golf with these guys for the reasons that you mention: To my way of thinking, this is no team for "buddies": this is a time to try and survive: we are both in our 70's and in that vulnerable category. What kind of wipes are you describing? there is no way to get Clorox wipes- are there any other kind i could get at Walmart?
I have made my own that I keep in the car - baby wipes that I have moistened with a small amount of diluted bleach poured into the packet.

Golf courses set their own social distancing rules. Some only allow one person in a cart at a time (unless from the same family) some only allow pull carts. You have to bring in your own wagon type pull cart if riding carts are not allowed and there are no rentals left - because there will be no caddy's carrying your clubs.

The point is, golf courses set up the rules so you need to call the specific golf courses he will be on. Best to do this now rather than get there and find out you can't rent something you need.

Michigan golfers getting creative using carts on the course

“Caddies, starters, and golf carts may not be provided, and clubhouses, pro shops, driving ranges, and miniature golf courses must remain closed.”

How U-M Golf Courses Resumed Operations Amid Global Pandemic - University of Michigan Athletics

University of Michigan Golf Course:

To begin the season, knowing full well that information changes daily, they came up with the following guidelines for all players:

• Tee times must be booked in advance over the phone, and payment is required at booking.

• Golf carts are available for single riders only unless there are two players from the same household.

• Carts are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized after each round.

• No clubhouse access.

• No rental clubs.

• Flagsticks are not to be touched or moved. Small foam noodles, like those seen in a swimming pool, have been fitted around each flagstick to prevent the ball from dropping all the way into the hole.
20200528_gen_golf_course_covid2.jpg

A modified hole at U-M Golf Course

• There are no ball washers, benches, bunker rakes or water coolers on the course.

• Players are instructed to arrive no more than 10 minutes prior to their tee time. Gathering in groups before rounds is prohibited.

well..this is oodles of info. I have felt that golf courses have done better than many reopening establishments. Golfers usually have little towels stuffed in their bags.... I would think a couple of those towels, and hand sanitizer will do the trick. However, why no masks?

Thank you: I am very concerned about contracting this virus en-route through 6 states but I am trying to calm down and think rationally. My plan is to have a bag with paper towels, sanitizer, gloves and masks. When my husband gets gas he will use a glove, then properly dispose of it. When we go into the gas station to use the rest room we will be masked. I don't plan to wipe every surface I touch: this is too overwhelming. I think the important thing is to wash and scrub my hands really well, use lots of hand sanitizer and don't touch my face. We will have to get fast food and eat in the car. I will remain a nervous wreck until we get home and then I will remain a nervous wreck for at least 5 days after we get home!!! I am dreading this trip.

boy... I "feel" your pain. I have been contemplating going back to NH, twice as many states from Florida. Small lousy bathrooms along the way. I was thinking about the end of June for this trip---back in March. Now? Just think I will cancel the whole thing.

Can you "map" the interstate rest stops? I would think they would be the most well managed. And per another friendly poster here @CSIDreamer, you can "build a nest" in those stalls.

Tens of thousands of traveler forms collected at checkpoints set up on Florida's borders

“The traveler form is given to drivers at the checkpoints to fill out with contact information, travel details, and where they are planning to stay in Florida.”

I had no idea this was going on until a friend near Destin told me today.

This was way back in March. Created massive traffic jams. There was no "track and trace" set up, so no one was really getting fined or jailed. Just a lot of mouthing off actually.

This was way back in March. Created massive traffic jams. There was no "track and trace" set up, so no one was really getting fined or jailed. Just a lot of mouthing off actually.
Oops, didn’t realize that - I thought it was current information according to the article publish date and the website.
Texas was doing the forms for incoming travelers at airports but recently stopped.
Travelers

Oops, didn’t realize that - I thought it was current information according to the article publish date and the website.
Texas was doing the forms for incoming travelers at airports but recently stopped.
Travelers

I thought they were still doing it for some reason. Jmo

That sounds like a good plan. Take a mini cooler for drinks and snacks. The fewer stops the better.

But you will have to stretch your legs and take some breaks. You will get through this and be really happy to finally be home!
I’d also carry a roll of doggie poop bags to dispose of gloves/etc. You can even get the container that hooks on to a purse or keychain. Some are using these bags instead of gloves to pump gas and open doors. It saves your gloves.

Tens of thousands of traveler forms collected at checkpoints set up on Florida's borders

“The traveler form is given to drivers at the checkpoints to fill out with contact information, travel details, and where they are planning to stay in Florida.”

I had no idea this was going on until a friend near Destin told me today.
We go to Destin every summer but after seeing pictures from friends out on the beach for Memorial Day weekend, no way would I enter Florida.

Being flaky is one good reason why she would go to work with symptoms and apparently
not give it a second thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member