Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today at the Governor of Ohio's press briefing, Governor DeWine said that they will have a map on their COVID-19 website that shows testing sites across all counties in Ohio, as they ramp up testing, including new policies on testing priorities. Priority group 1 is people in the hospital with COVID-19, priority group 2 includes people over 65 with symptoms, among others such as residents of long term care homes, etc.

A reporter asked Governor DeWine if Ohio will be testing sewage water in its communities, given the results of a Yale research study (I posted this study yesterday) that showed that community sewage analysis identifies COVID-19 presence prior to hospitalizations. The governor said that he is working with all of the counties in Ohio to get this kind of testing underway.

Lockdown easing to allow groups of six to meet

The PM warned the country should make only "limited and cautious" progress out of lockdown, which has been in place since 23 March.

The UK government's chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, echoed Mr Johnson's message of caution.

Sir Patrick said the rate of infection was "close to one" - the rate at which the number of new cases can rise rapidly - and that "we are still seeing new infections every day at quite a significant rate".

"That means there is not a lot of room to do things and things need to be done cautiously, step-by-step and monitored and the test and trace system needs to be effective in order to manage that," he said.

His warning came as a new study by the Office for National Statistics suggested one in 15 people in England (about 7%) have already had the virus.

_105894347_grey_line-nc.png

What are the five tests for easing lockdown?
After Easter, the government set out five conditions for easing lockdown measures safely.

The prime minister has said that - as of 28 May - these are being met sufficiently to slightly ease restrictions in England.

1. Making sure the NHS can cope - Mr Johnson said this test was met because there were only 475 hospital admissions in England on 26 May

2. A 'sustained and consistent' fall in the daily death rate - deaths have been falling since the middle of April, with 377 reported on Thursday, meeting this test, he said

3. Rate of infection decreasing to 'manageable levels' - with an average of 2,312 new cases being confirmed in the last seven days, Mr Johnson said this test was met

4. Ensuring supply of tests and PPE can meet future demand - test capacity was at 161,214 a day and new contracts for protective equipment had been signed, the prime minister said

5. Being confident any changes would not risk a second peak that would overwhelm the NHS - Mr Johnson said the adjustments were "carefully designed" to keep the R number (the average number of people each infected person passes the disease to) below one

In a separate move on Thursday, the government told dental practices in England they can reopen from Monday, if they put in place appropriate safety measures.

Nurseries and schools - for Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 classes - in England will also be able to reopen from next week.

Outdoor markets and car showrooms will also be able to reopen from Monday. They will be followed by non-essential retailers from 15 June if the five tests continue to be met, the PM said.

On Wednesday, Mr Johnson told MPs that he hoped to reduce the length of the two metre social distancing measures "as we make progress in getting the virus down".

The World Health Organization says that a distance of one metre is safe, while other countries suggest 1.5m or 1.8m.

But Prof Whitty said the UK's advice would not be changing, adding that staying a metre away was "somewhere between 10 and 30 times more risky than at two metres".

_112547515_stepstoeaselockdown.jpg

_109028083_1px_white_line-nc.png

Meanwhile, a further 377 people have died with coronavirus across all settings in the UK, according to daily figures released on Thursday.

The total number of deaths in and outside of hospitals is now 37,837, the Department of Health said.

I have worked out that the deaths as a percentage of the total deaths from the previous week do appear to be falling in the UK. See below.

1 May 27,500 +40%
8 May 31,241 +14%
15May 33,998 + 9%
22May 36,393 + 7%
28May 37,837 + 5% estimated by 29 May

Last edited:
Russia's head of coronavirus information says alarm over the virus is 'bullsh-t'
On Wednesday, Alexander Myasnikov, Russia's head of coronavirus information, dismissed fears about the virus, saying they were: "bulls---."Myasnikov previously said it would be "impossible" for the coronavirus to reach Russia. His role includes battling fake news about the virus and keeping the public informed about prevention and treatment.

• Last week, he celebrated Russia's official low death rate, which has been questioned by experts, by calling it a "Russian miracle."

• "The infection will take its toll and we'll all get it," he also said. "Those meant to die will die. Everyone dies."...
  • "It's all bulls---," he told Sobchak, according to The Moscow Times. "It's all exaggerated. It's an acute respiratory disease with minimal mortality." "Why has the whole world been destroyed? That I don't know," he added.
He sounds nice.

5/26/2020 1:11 PM PT
L.A. skateboarders defy stay-at-home orders, remove sand from Venice skate park

a8231cad20b64579b441c2b592254a43_md.jpg

2a25c176b9d84097ae6a54f7f52a7c79_md.jpg

86154050-9f93-11ea-be5d-b24596351ce7

Here's the deal ... back in April, some California lawmakers were so fed up with skateboarders violating stay-at-home orders, they dumped tons of sand into ramps at parks all over the state.

The move worked for over a month ... but on Monday in Venice, skaters took back the place -- removing the sand with nothing more than shovels, brooms, buckets and bare hands.

According to TMZ, several police officers stood and watched the Venice dig without interfering.

Skaters took advantage of their renewed access and were using the park again by Monday evening, according to the report.

and they should all be fined IMO

Hi: i would like to ask your opinion about something: my husband and I are going back to Michigan next weekend: we are presently in Florida- in any event my husband is on a golf league in Michigan and the plan is for the golf league to begin playing beginning June 1. I am concerned about potential exposure to the virus. they obviously will be outdoors: no indoor dining or drinks: it will be strictly golf. All of the golfers are seniors like my husband. They will not be wearing masks and they may share a cart. I am concerned about potential exposure to my husband in that situation. I don't want to be a wet blanket but it seems a little risky to me. What do
ya'all think? Thank you in advance for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Hi: i would like to ask your opinion about something: my husband and I are going back to Michigan next weekend: we are presently in Florida- in any event my husband is on a golf league in Michigan and the plan is for the golf league to begin playing beginning June 1. I am concerned about potential exposure to the virus. they obviously will be outdoors: no indoor dining or drinks: it will be strictly golf. All of the golfers are seniors like my husband. They will not be wearing masks and they may share a cart. I am concerned about potential exposure to my husband in that situation. I don't want to be a wet blanket but it seems a little risky to me. What do

I think if they can social distance they'll be fine.

Hey, I was thinking of you the other day as far as food on the way home. Can you do s drive up and then set up camp chairs to sit and eat? Safe travels!

My husband is desperate to play golf but it's members only in the UK, and sadly he's not a member of anywhere now. I think the main thing that would bother me in your husband's situation is the cart. Make sure he takes hand sanitiser and some disposable paper towels or wipes to touch the cart with.... or better still, he should try not to touch it at all, can there be a designated (cart) driver?!

Last edited:
I think if they can social distance they'll be fine.

Hey, I was thinking of you the other day as far as food on the way home. Can you do s drive up and then set up camp chairs to sit and eat? Safe travels!

we have no room for camp chairs in our jeep: we have tons of stuff to shlep back in suitcases and such. i am not sure how we are going to do the eating thing. we won't go in restaurants though!!

My husband is desperate to play golf but it's members only in the UK, and sadly he's not a member of anywhere now. I think the main thing that would bother me in your husband's situation is the cart. Make sure he takes hand sanitiser and some disposable paper towels or wipes to touch the cart with.... or better still, he should try not to touch it all, can there be a designated (cart) driver?!

I think the hand sanitizer thing is a good idea!!!

Golf courses set their own social distancing rules. Some only allow one person in a cart at a time (unless from the same family) some only allow pull carts. You have to bring in your own wagon type pull cart if riding carts are not allowed and there are no rentals left - because there will be no caddy's carrying your clubs.

The point is, golf courses set up the rules so you need to call the specific golf courses he will be on. Best to do this now rather than get there and find out you can't rent something you need.

Michigan golfers getting creative using carts on the course

“Caddies, starters, and golf carts may not be provided, and clubhouses, pro shops, driving ranges, and miniature golf courses must remain closed.”

How U-M Golf Courses Resumed Operations Amid Global Pandemic - University of Michigan Athletics

University of Michigan Golf Course:

To begin the season, knowing full well that information changes daily, they came up with the following guidelines for all players:

• Tee times must be booked in advance over the phone, and payment is required at booking.

• Golf carts are available for single riders only unless there are two players from the same household.

• Carts are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized after each round.

• No clubhouse access.

• No rental clubs.

• Flagsticks are not to be touched or moved. Small foam noodles, like those seen in a swimming pool, have been fitted around each flagstick to prevent the ball from dropping all the way into the hole.
20200528_gen_golf_course_covid2.jpg

A modified hole at U-M Golf Course

• There are no ball washers, benches, bunker rakes or water coolers on the course.

• Players are instructed to arrive no more than 10 minutes prior to their tee time. Gathering in groups before rounds is prohibited.

Last edited:
Worcester barbershop reopens, offering appointments to children with developmental challenges first
As Mangual began to develop a plan for reopening he thought of those haircuts on his back porch. He remembered the difficulty, the squirming and uneasiness of his children.
He then thought of others, specifically children with autism, down syndrome and other developmental challenges.
Massachusetts

And unrelated , I pass at least 3 other barber shops on the way home-amount of customers/employees Wearing masks is ~maybe~ 75% *shrug*

Disagree all you want, but it’s absolutely possible to protest without intimidation and actually get some of what you want. To intimidate is to make someone fearful. I personally have no respect for those tactics.
Most of our protests in California in the past few years have been very intimidating. Marchers chanting intimidating slogans, about owning the streets, and literally surrounding cars, shutting down intersections, shutting down freeways, lighting trash cans on fire, smashing police cars, breaking windows, looting.

Often they go to a politician's home, and surround it, screaming and chanting.

It has happened over and over again, with little to no arrests.

Worcester barbershop reopens, offering appointments to children with developmental challenges first

Massachusetts

And unrelated , I pass at least 3 other barber shops on the way home-amount of customers/employees Wearing masks is ~maybe~ 75% *shrug*

Judge refuses to order Owosso barber shop to shut down, attorney general plans to appeal

Lansing State Journal Updated 2:20 p.m. EDT May 21, 2020
1a7dfe2c-25db-4a75-98c9-500532c41cba-94d69f5c-ece9-4269-9ff0-68e37a2b1bc1_thumbnail.png

LANSING — An Owosso barber who has kept his shop open despite a suspended license and a cease and desist order from the state will not have to close, a Shiawassee County judge ruled Thursday.

Shiawassee County Circuit Court Judge Matthew Stewart decided Thursday not to grant the attorney general's request, allowing Manke to stay open.

"(The attorney general) has not presented any studies underlying the doctor's conclusion. (The attorney general) has not shown any nexus between the cutting of hair and an increased risk of transmission," Stewart wrote in his opinion. "(The attorney general's) filings rest more on general facts about COVID-19 than specific practices or conditions at (Manke's) business."

UPDATE
May 28, 2020 at 10:50 a.m.

Michigan court orders defiant barber to close shop

The Michigan appeals court overturned a decision by a Shiawassee County judge and ordered him to sign an injunction sought by state regulators.

Manke’s attorney, David Kallman, said he would appeal to the Michigan Supreme Court.

Karl Manke, 77, said he’s not backing down. He told The Associated Press that he got the news while cutting someone’s hair and he doesn’t intend to comply with it.
“If they want to put me in jail, put me in jail.

sjm-eak-Michigan_74545249.jpg

Last edited:
Judge refuses to order Owosso barber shop to shut down, attorney general plans to appeal

Lansing State Journal Updated 2:20 p.m. EDT May 21, 2020
1a7dfe2c-25db-4a75-98c9-500532c41cba-94d69f5c-ece9-4269-9ff0-68e37a2b1bc1_thumbnail.png

LANSING — An Owosso barber who has kept his shop open despite a suspended license and a cease and desist order from the state will not have to close, a Shiawassee County judge ruled Thursday.

The Michigan Attorney General's Office filed a request for an emergency temporary restraining order against barber Karl Manke when he refused to close his shop after receiving two citations — one for violating the governor's executive stay-home order and another from the county health department.

Shiawassee County Circuit Court Judge Matthew Stewart decided Thursday not to grant the attorney general's request, allowing Manke to stay open.

UPDATE
May 28, 2020 at 10:50 a.m.

“If they want to put me in jail, put me in jail.

sjm-eak-Michigan_74545249.jpg

The Michigan appeals court overturned a decision by a Shiawassee County judge and ordered him to sign an injunction sought by state regulators.

fools, the lot of them
why is he wearing a mask if he's just going to pull it down?

Golf courses set their own social distancing rules. Some only allow one person in a cart at a time (unless from the same family) some only allow pull carts. You have to bring in your own wagon type pull cart if riding carts are not allowed and there are no rentals left - because there will be no caddy's carrying your clubs.

The point is, golf courses set up the rules so you need to call the specific golf courses he will be on. Best to do this now rather than get there and find out you can't rent something you need.

“Caddies, starters, and golf carts may not be provided, and clubhouses, pro shops, driving ranges, and miniature golf courses must remain closed.”

How U-M Golf Courses Resumed Operations Amid Global Pandemic - University of Michigan Athletics

To begin the season, knowing full well that information changes daily, they came up with the following guidelines for all players:

• Tee times must be booked in advance over the phone, and payment is required at booking.

• Golf carts are available for single riders only unless there are two players from the same household.

• No clubhouse access.

• No rental clubs.

• Flagsticks are not to be touched or moved. Small foam noodles, like those seen in a swimming pool, have been fitted around each flagstick to prevent the ball from dropping all the way into the hole.

• There are no ball washers, benches, bunker rakes or water coolers on the course.

• Players are instructed to arrive no more than 10 minutes prior to their tee time. Gathering in groups before rounds is prohibited.

• No clubhouse access.

• No rental clubs.

Thanks for the info- very informative!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther