Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
This can't be hammered home enough.
I'm going to keep chanting this mantra with you right up until we hear the word, "Guilty" in the courtroom:

M$ney.
M$ney.
M$ney.
M$ney.

The whiff of money has permeated this case from the very beginning.
It's all about the money.
The motive for SM's murder is greed.

Selfish, insatiable greed.

JMO.

Money, money, money.

I think Barry had a hell of a lot to lose in the event of a divorce. Couldn’t have that.

This can't be hammered home enough.
I'm going to keep chanting this mantra with you right up until we hear the word, "Guilty" in the courtroom:

M$ney.
M$ney.
M$ney.
M$ney.

The whiff of money has permeated this case from the very beginning.
It's all about the money.
The motive for SM's murder is greed.

Selfish, insatiable greed.

JMO.
BAM!!!!!!

When I read this, it was my impression that the half million was put towards the purchase of the house, not that she put a half million into it after they bought it. Checking the property history, it says they bought it for $475,000 over asking price. Bingo! There’s your half a million.
Maybe SM didn’t really want to put that inheritance into the house, but BM whined and pleaded and she relented. Maybe she has regretted it. Maybe she was unhappy and wanted to sell. Maybe BM didn’t want to.....
BBM

BAM!!
BINGO!!

I couldn't figure out why they would pay over the asking price. Wow!! These are more puzzle pieces coming together!!

I’m about 100 messages behind, still. Apologies if this has already been addressed.

If you look at that wall on Google Maps and follow that damage just above the curve, you’ll find many places as the wall height increases where the capstones have failed and need to be replaced/reset. The height and the weight of the stone def make the repairs here a team effort, IMO. I don’t consider it a trivial job.

That said, if you follow the wall to the bridge and go across Flatiron Crossing, the sister wall on the other side appears to have a potentially serious structural problem — either a crack or a shifting of a bunch of stones due to hydrostatic pressure or something. This side of the bridge seems like a much bigger job that what I expected BM to be involved with, TBH.

But who knows. As has been noted previously, we can’t even confirm that this is the job BM had been contracted to do. But both sides of the bridge have retaining walls that are certainly in need of repair.

MOO.

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

I did notice that retaining wall over near the bridge. It seems like a poor choice to build a dry stack wall in that type of commercial environment. It does sound like it could be the wall, though, considering how JP explained how to do it, foot by foot. My husband built a huge log home where the homeowners wanted a dry stacked wall. Totally different environment though, a forest-y wood lot. He thought the guys who built it were more like stone masons since they pondered the stones chiseling them to make them fit. Very time consuming and expensive procedure.

When I read this, it was my impression that the half million was put towards the purchase of the house, not that she put a half million into it after they bought it. Checking the property history, it says they bought it for $475,000 over asking price. Bingo! There’s your half a million.
Maybe SM didn’t really want to put that inheritance into the house, but BM whined and pleaded and she relented. Maybe she has regretted it. Maybe she was unhappy and wanted to sell. Maybe BM didn’t want to.....

BAM! To @FairIse and @OldCop !
Yes!! This makes perfect sense!!

It is not realistic to expect *every* store management or employee to 'come forward' in public fashion. It also is not realistic to expect LE to notify the public that such-and-such store management/employee came forward with such-and-such info... unless it might advance their case.

MOO
I agree, it's not at all realistic to expect every employee of every business that BM may have stopped at, to come forward. Also not realistic to expect LE to notify the public if they did. I think you misunderstood my comment on that. I merely wondered why no one else has come forward, publicly.

I suspect the answer to that is, Poncha Market is the only place he stopped at, and he stopped there (after hours) for a specific reason, and it wasn't because he was looking for SM.

jmo

Last edited:
Has anyone determined a definitive motive for SM to have been disappeared by a particular family member?
Most definitely not definitive but my “money” is on $$MONEY$$! At least I believe that was at the root of it. I suspect a massive line of credit that needed to be satisfied upon sale of the IN house. One that SM may not have fully been aware of given her recent battle with cancer. I think Barry didn’t expect Suzanne to beat the cancer a second time and that it would never be exposed. Unfortunately for him, now that he’s squarely in LE sights as the most likely suspect, if/when he’s arrested and there is a trial, he WILL be exposed for the fraud that he is. All MHO.

I am not from Colorado but I have read some of Colorado rules and most of the main rules about anything like that are similar in most states.

The rule is really for the opposite of that.

If you harvest any large game animal, you are not allowed to just cut off antlers or other trophy parts and leave the rest. Most states require you to "tag" the animal with your name, hunting licence number, etc. as soon as you down a large game animal. Then you typically field dress it (remove entrails like stomach, lungs, etc) where it lays and then carry/drag it out of the woods (or quarter it and carry out in sections if large like an Elk) for further and proper processing whether by yourself or by taking it to a processing location. Most states require you to also "check in" and report the animal that was taken. Online capabilities are becoming more common for that part.

Even with road kill animals when I read Colorado rules about it, you are supposed to get a permit (road kill permits can be gotten after picking up the fresh road kill but you have a limited number of days to get the permit).

Under no circumstances are people allowed to just remove trophy parts and leave the rest of the animal lay. That will break rules for both regular hunting and the proper taking of fresh road kill if one desires.

Hope this helps answer.

I agree, it's not at all realistic to expect every employee of every business that BM may have stopped at, to come forward. Also not realistic to expect LE to notify the public if they did. I think you misunderstood my comment on that. I merely wondered why no one else has come forward, publicly.

I suspect the answer to that is, Poncha Market is the only placed he stopped at, and he stopped there (after hours) for a specific reason, and it wasn't because he was looking for SM.

jmo
Maybe. But there is the possibility that someone in his situation at that time might not have been able to process or accept what was happening to his family and that may have resulted in unusual or odd behaviors.

Sparse facts in this case seem to lead in one direction, but at this point I don't expect it's enough to fully lean in that direction. Not yet.

Most definitely not definitive but my “money” is on $$MONEY$$! At least I believe that was at the root of it. I suspect a massive line of credit that needed to be satisfied upon sale of the IN house. One that SM may not have fully been aware of given her recent battle with cancer. I think Barry didn’t expect Suzanne to beat the cancer a second time and that it would never be exposed. Unfortunately for him, now that he’s squarely in LE sights as the most likely suspect, if/when he’s arrested and there is a trial, he WILL be exposed for the fraud that he is. All MHO.
If there was 'money trouble' I wouldn't expect his first option would be to disappear his wife. There'd have to be other background or current issues that would 'justify' that option. So far, such supporting elements have not be revealed.

Yes. And then it was reported that she was at a bike repair shop on Thursday. (TD)
Right, so we have two physical sightings that tell us Suzanne was alive, then the conversation with the friend until 12:30 pm Saturday. LE may well have other evidence she was alive and well. One of the things I'm looking forward to learning about is the security cameras at the home.

BBM

BAM!!
BINGO!!

I couldn't figure out why they would pay over the asking price. Wow!! These are more puzzle pieces coming together!!
I don't think they paid more than the asking price. It was listed as over one and a half million when they bought the home in 2018. So SM would have contributed a large amount but we don't know where the rest of the money came from. Imo

I suspect the answer to that is, Poncha Market is the only placed he stopped at, and he stopped there (after hours) for a specific reason, and it wasn't because he was looking for SM.

jmo
Yes!!!
BAM!!!

"I suspect the answer to that is, Poncha Market is the only placed he stopped at, and he stopped there (after hours) for a specific reason, and it wasn't because he was looking for SM."

If there was 'money trouble' I wouldn't expect his first option would be to disappear his wife. There'd have to be other background or current issues that would 'justify' that option. So far, such supporting elements have not be revealed.
I agree - while so much seems to point to money as a likely motive, we're definitely missing those supporting elements, as you described them, that would push someone to murder. While it appears there is some significant circumstantial evidence that may point to BM, I think the prosecution has to develop a narrative of what happened and why, and will certainly need more than what we currently know about to develop a motive. We can't sleuth BM, so we just have to wait and see what more comes out..... some of what I wish we knew:

Had divorce been discussed? Who was wanting it? Why? What was the other person's reaction to this? Were any threats made? (Really hoping that SM confided in her friend re: this)

What was their financial situation? Were they stable with a high net worth? Were they highly leveraged (ie, business loans taken out against equity in the home, etc.)? How was BMs business doing in CO (both pre and post COVID)? What would a divorce mean in terms of $$ and/or BMs livelihood?

Were there any secrets in the marriage? Specifically, were there any secrets that, if they came out in a divorce, could be especially damaging to BMs reputation, business, etc.

I assume that LE is doing their due diligence on these sorts of issues - talking to the people who knew both SM and BM, pouring over financial records, and digging deep enough to bring potential secrets to the surface. JMO, MOO.

If that’s the case, he better find another attorney. It hasn’t worked out well for his image! :p Maybe he should hire a PR person. :D

Hmmn, ironic isn't it? I think his PR Person quit after a month or so ... poor BM seems like everything is working against him these days. LE is plotting against him, reporters are hiding in the bushes spying on him, employees are ratting him out, people on social media are lying about him and accusing him of things he never did.

I wonder where his head is right now? Is he looking forward to the search and the vigil this week?

I have followed too many WS cases where divorce should have been the option but wasn't - I think this may turn out like so many others - money is a powerful motivator for some of these men who disappear their wives.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member