Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our last 'clean' state border to open is now opening ..... it has been closed to all other states for 7 months.
(I think Victoria's border may still be closed due to the 2nd wave they had.)
Strict requirements for entry - G2G paperwork, temperature checks, pop up covid clinics at their airport.

Perth Airport was filled with hugs, kisses and family reunions today.

It comes after Western Australia's hard borders were finally eased, seven months after they were cut off from the rest of the nation, due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Hundreds of families reunited at Perth Airport — with 11 plane loads of passengers — touching down from across the country.
They are expecting 1500 arrivals from interstate tomorrow and by weeks end around 4000 will enter the state.

Families reunited as Western Australia's hard border comes down

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
10 Signs a Store Isn’t Protecting Against Coronavirus

1.) Too many people in one place
You can see alot of stores have X's or ^ arrows ^ taped on the floor near the checkout to keep shoppers 6 ft apart. I simply try to shop when it's least crowed. You can go on-line to see when stores have their busiest hours or even call and ask.

2.) Mask wearing not enforced
Many stores are now posting signs on their doors requiring masks and some even provide disposable masks to customers who enter without them but alot of safety in stores comes down to customers because there's only so much stores can do if a customer refuses to keep their mask on :eek: note the physical fights and even gun violence over this, plus "trash talking" the store in on-line reviews.

3.) Poor ventilation
I'm not sure how to tell how good a store's ventilation is?

4.) Dirty surfaces
Something I never see mentioned are those long plastic dividers that shoppers use to separate their
groceries from other shopper's groceries. I have never seen them get cleaned and even before covid I used hand sanitizer after touching them.

5.) Checkout fails
Here's the right way to check out and I personally recommend self-checkout: Whole Foods Just Ranked #1 for COVID-19 Safety Measures

6.) Mishandling merchandise
The National Retail Federation (NRF) encourages its members to disinfect returned items wearing gloves and masks. Fitting rooms should have policies for sanitizing the rooms between customers, as well as sanitizing clothes, jewelry, eyeglasses etc.. that have been tried on. How would they sanitize the clothes??? And there shouldn't be food samples or perfume and makeup lying around that customers can "test".

7.) Allowing reusable bags

A
2010 study at the University of Arizona found bacteria in 99 percent of reusable bags and found that 97 percent of people did not ever wash their tote bags.

8.) Congested seating areas
If a store has a waiting area or cafe, any tables and chairs should be spaced at least six feet apart to ensure proper social distancing and to minimize cross-contamination. If that’s not possible, temporary dividers should be installed.

9.) Business hours as usual

The National Retail Federation (NRF) recommends reserving early hours for high risk individuals to shop before crowds arrive. Consumer Reports lists early morning trips among its top ways to
avoid germs when grocery shopping. If a store doesn’t offer this ask why? Another thing I've seen are some 24 hour stores now closing for part of the night for cleaning and sanitizing and for re-stocking scarce products they run out of because of panic buying...tsk...tsk........

10.) No shopping alternatives
Retailers that are prioritizing customer health and safety are providing options besides in-store shopping. Many now offer online ordering with curbside pickup or home delivery.

I’m happy to note that our local natural foods co-op does everything right (10 out of 10), or so my husband tells me. I haven’t gone there since before the pandemic. There is even someone stationed at the door, only letting people in as people leave. I always hated going there because it was so crowded, so at least for now that’s changed.

Massachusetts prisons to test all inmates, staff for COVID as state sees second surge

As Massachusetts sees rising rates of coronavirus cases and hospitalizations, the state’s Department of Correction has announced that all inmates and staff will go through a round of COVID-19 testing.

Starting Saturday, the department’s 16 facilities will go into modified operations for two weeks to allow for the testing, according to a statement.

Inmates will still have access to medication distribution, sick calls, medical appointments, mental health contacts, showers, disinfecting of rooms, telephone use and tier time, the statement said.

General visitation will be temporarily suspended but attorney visits and releases from custody will continue as scheduled, the department said.

Massachusetts condo threatens hefty fines if face coverings aren't worn amid coronavirus pandemic
REVERE, Mass. —

A flyer urging residents to mask up is posted on the front door of Ocean Gate Tower at the sprawling high-rise complex along Ocean Avenue in Revere.

The notice warns about stepped-up fines voted by the board of trustees prompted by some residents not wearing masks.

Residents who commit a first offense will face a $250 fine, followed by fines of $500, $750 and then $1,000 for subsequent violations.

Residents of nearby buildings in the complex tell us masks are required when you step out of your unit.

As the pandemic surges, CDC issues increasingly assertive advice | Boston.com

As the pandemic engulfs the nation, recent recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have been as notable for what they do not say as for what they do. In a turnabout, the agency now is hewing more closely to scientific evidence, often contradicting the positions of the Trump administration.

In scientific briefs published Tuesday, the CDC described the benefits of masks to wearers, not just to those around them. Agency researchers also urged people to celebrate Thanksgiving only with others in their households or, failing that, to wear a mask with two or more layers.

YEPPERS!!
We don’t need your 7 pm applause. We don’t need your donated pizza. We even don’t need your gratitude.

We need you to wear a mask & keep your distance so you stop killing each other & you literally & figuratively stop killing us. It’s all we ask.

Very well summed up!
My oldest daughter is an oncology nurse in WI. It’s so bad there they have mandated all nurses so work a shift in the ICU/Covid each week.
She has two little ones, my grandson is only 5 months old. She is terrified that she will bring this home.
AND, nurses can come from oncology, pediatrics, all with risk of infecting high risk patients.

Iowa numbers today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 4,830 new confirmed cases for a total of 180,253 confirmed cases of which 107,540 are recovering (+1,049). 25 more were reported to have passed for a total of 1,972. There are 72,713 active positive cases with a 24 hr. positvity of 45.9%. 217 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 1,261 (new daily record +34). IMO KWWL forgot to change the number hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. in their article. Here are approximate daily age group increases (I'm short 1 total): 0-17: 17,029 (+548); 18-40: 77,912 (+1,915); 41-60: 51,103 (+1,422); 61-80: 26,648 (+770); and 81+: 7,518 (+174).
Nov. 14: 4,830 new cases, 25 deaths while hospitalizations continue to rise
Iowa COVID-19 Information Daily statistics updated at 11:00 a.m.
Iowa COVID-19 Information Current hospital data

EL PASO, Texas --A traveling registered nurse is calling out University Medical Center claiming the hospital is not doing enough to save lives. Her criticism aimed at UMC was mainly directed at doctors, claiming some won't tend to Covid-19 positive patients.

"This hospitals policy was they only get three rounds of CPR which was only six minutes, this out of all the codes we had, there is not a single patient that made it," Rivers said.

"If those doctors there would aggressively treat those patients from the beginning a lot more would make it," Rivers said. "The nurse that orientated me had one patient she was called the 'VIP' patient, she was a doctor's wife. And when I say they pulled out all the stops for that woman, it was nothing that they didn't do for that woman and guess what she was the one patient that made it out of that ICU alive."

"To have the families call you night after night after night for an update, like anything was going to be different was horrific," Rivers said. "To know that the only way that those patients was coming out of that pit was in a body bag, I am not ok from an emotional mental standpoint."

Traveling nurse says El Paso's Covid-19 crisis is worse than it was New York City - KVIA

United House of Prayer plans another massive, in-person event | wcnc.com

“Mecklenburg County Health Director Gibbie Harris is aware of United House of Prayer's planned event for the weekend of November 14 in Newport News, Virginia.

WCNC Charlotte confirmed the plans with a member of the congregation who did not want to be identified.

The plan is to have 11 buses carry worshipers to and from Charlotte for the convocation.

"The reality is, this is just not a good situation," Harris said.”

However, there is nothing Harris can legally do about it although she has concerns that the mode of transportation and the mass gathering could cause another cluster of COVID-19. “

*Heads up Virginia*

“The United House of Prayer For All People on Beatties Ford Road held large, in-person convocations in October. As of Tuesday's update by county health officials, nine COVID deaths and 208 coronavirus cases have been traced back to the gatherings there.

Numbers keep going up.
9 Deaths now.

And nothing can be done to stop it.

Hold Still - Hold Still Gallery

These are the top 100 UK photos that Katherine has posted about as to COVID impact in the video at
Majesty/Joe Little @MajestyMagazine
The Duchess of Cambridge marks the end of the UK-wide
#HoldStill community exhibition with a video message thanking everybody who submitted a portrait to the project. © Kensington Palace https://npg.org.uk/hold-still/ #royal #DuchessofCambridge

Thank you so much for posting this. I couldn't even make it past the first few without tears. What a beautifully profound exhibit - a true piece of history. It's easy to get caught up in numbers and graphs and stats but to see all these lovely faces, touched in some way by this horrid disease . . . makes it all a little more real.

Very well summed up!
My oldest daughter is an oncology nurse in WI. It’s so bad there they have mandated all nurses so work a shift in the ICU/Covid each week.
She has two little ones, my grandson is only 5 months old. She is terrified that she will bring this home.
AND, nurses can come from oncology, pediatrics, all with risk of infecting high risk patients.

And oncology nurse.... she should be excluded... just awful. Just terrible choices being made these days. How often does she get a PCR test?

Thank you so much for posting this. I couldn't even make it past the first few without tears. What a beautifully profound exhibit - a true piece of history. It's easy to get caught up in numbers and graphs and stats but to see all these lovely faces, touched in some way by this horrid disease . . . makes it all a little more real.

@RobinCAL shared it with me and thought to pass it forward. Thanks to Robin as I agree... such touching photos.

This is terrible, must be every hospitals worst nightmare :(

At least 10 people have been killed and several others seriously injured in a fire at a hospital treating coronavirus patients in Romania, officials say. The blaze broke out in the intensive care unit of the public hospital in the north-eastern city of Piatra Neamt.

One doctor who tried to rescue patients is said to be in a critical condition after suffering serious burns to most of his body. There are other medical staff who suffered burns.

The fire was believed to have spread quickly after it was fed oxygen by the supplies used to intubate patients, the health ministry said.

Covid: Romania hospital blaze kills at least 10 infected patients

@RobinCAL shared it with me and thought to pass it forward. Thanks to Robin as I agree... such touching photos.

Some of these are beautiful, all tell a story. I love all the rainbow ones as these were a symbol of hope for us at the beginning. But the one of the newborn baby, unable to touch its mother, made my eyes a bit wet. Thanks for posting them.

COVID In Colorado: Loveland Hospital Implements 'No Visitor' Policy

“LOVELAND, Colo. (CBS4) – As cases of COVID-19 continue to rise, Banner Health Medical facilities in northern Colorado are moving to a no visitor policy across the board. The decision was made to help protect healthcare workers as well as patients, and will have only three exceptions.“

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase