Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me explain; We all have masks here. It is not a simple solution as here is a box of masks have one!
What it is is that now that we have had the first jab, certain people here feel that they no longer NEED to wear masks.
I am really not going to get involved in the debate with them. Our staff runs around with chin masks, noses sticking out, and masks hanging off one ear...this is the example they set, so others feel they can do the same.

Let me explain; We all have masks here. It is not a simple solution as here is a box of masks have one!
What it is is that now that we have had the first jab, certain people here feel that they no longer NEED to wear masks.
I am really not going to get involved in the debate with them. Our staff runs around with chin masks, noses sticking out, and masks hanging off one ear...this is the example they set, so others feel they can do the same.

I am SO sorry. I see the problem clearly.
You do have the right to live in a safe environment ( Patient Bill Of Rights for assisted living facilities- I am a licensed administrator).
I am so sick of passive people who take shortcuts with health issues.

Today marks a big first step towards achieving vaccine equity.⠀

600,000 COVID-19 vaccines arrived in Accra, Ghana this morning, making the country the first in Africa to receive the vaccines from COVAX facility (co-led by WHO, and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations-CEPI).⠀

We are also working closely with governments & manufacturers to ensure health workers & older people receive COVID-19 vaccines in all countries within the first 100 days of 2021.

World Health Organization (WHO) is sharing a COVID-19 update.

I knew it! LOL...gotta laugh, because what else can you do? So, we all got vaccinated today with our first shot (I live in an Independent
Senior Living community) ...went down to pick up a package and in our game room there sits 6 ladies with NO masks on right next to each other playing cards - actually crammed around the card table- while staff just wanders around oblivious. I knew this was going to happen. Hopefully we stay lucky here under these circumstances!
One lady went in to hug one of the directors saying "now we can hug again" and the director was like "oh noooo....not until two weeks after your second shot".
Do people just not know better? Do they think that today we are 100 % protected and life goes back to normal?

Some people just don't know any better- what can one say???

I am SO sorry. I see the problem clearly.
You do have the right to live in a safe environment ( Patient Bill Of Rights for assisted living facilities- I am a licensed administrator).
I am so sick of passive people who take shortcuts with health issues.
We are not an assisted living facility, we are a for profit Independent Living facility. Probably a huge difference. This is one big apartment complex with a lobby and staff.

I knew it! LOL...gotta laugh, because what else can you do? So, we all got vaccinated today with our first shot (I live in an Independent
Senior Living community) ...went down to pick up a package and in our game room there sits 6 ladies with NO masks on right next to each other playing cards - actually crammed around the card table- while staff just wanders around oblivious. I knew this was going to happen. Hopefully we stay lucky here under these circumstances!
One lady went in to hug one of the directors saying "now we can hug again" and the director was like "oh noooo....not until two weeks after your second shot".
Do people just not know better? Do they think that today we are 100 % protected and life goes back to normal?

is your "staff" medically trained or just administrative people?

also, did the staff already have 2 doses? (I know that they are still supposed to mask, but I am thinking that a few weeks after a second dose, people would really have a tendency to get lax)

at the gym at which I swim, they will not let you in the door without a mask. they also have a thermal scanner- they have gotten a bit lax about the Qs- they are prominently posted, but not asked. there is also one parent of a disabled child who removes her mask in the pool area- she is not supposed to be unmasked unless she is actually swimming. I think that she is non-English speaking because she does a few other prohibited things as well :( I have considered saying something to the staff, but I have only seen her twice.

We are not an assisted living facility, we are a for profit Independent Living facility. Probably a huge difference. This is one big apartment complex with a lobby and staff.

In my part of the US, at least, you are describing mostly what an Assisted Living facility is. The fact that you interact with a staff means it's not technically like Senior- aged Apartments. We also have Senior Apartments for rent, and they are just that, apartments for senior aged people who want to live near ( very near) other senior adults. As far as I can tell from visiting a local posh building of apartments for Senior Living, there's NO staff beyond the person at the front desk, and some people who work independently in a Spa. ( massages, hair styling, nails, that sort of thing).

In an Assisted Living, there are pretty strict rules about being able to ambulate independently within the facility, to dine in a central dining area ( not institutional type food but very lovely dining experiences for all 3 meals) and a bedroom, living room, and kitchenette of one's own.

My late husband ( we divorced many years ago but always still loved each other, we simply let time run out to be together because he was stubborn) was in a super pretty apartment that was assisted living in Lexington, KY, after he was becoming ill with Parkinson's. Needless to say, he was falling, and skipping meals because he couldn't get to the dining room by himself after some months there. It was beautifully decorated but was beyond his abilities. I was instrumental in having his brothers wise up about him needing closer care and more care. He called me every day for a very long time and I was the only one he'd tell the truth to about not eating or walking. He did love the place and wanted to stay but just wasn't independent physically enough. Mentally, he was as clear as a bell, always.

This is just weird, in light of today’s sexual harassment allegations. What’s wrong with governor Cuomo. I think he’s losing it.

Cuomo raises eyebrows with ‘anatomy’ joke during vaccination tour

Gov. Andrew Cuomo joked Wednesday about himself administering COVID-19 vaccines to New Yorkers, saying he'd get to choose "the part of the anatomy" to jab.

"I get to select the part of the anatomy where I do the vaccine," Cuomo said during a tour of a vaccine site in Queens. "You'll be surprised, maybe not, when you see the part of the anatomy that I pick."

Last edited:
because:
1. they have changed advice on us too many times
2. we do not believe anything
3. "community spread" cases are mysterious
4. the ritual gives people something to do?
all IMHO
Community spread is mysterious. Personally I am still perplexed about how I got it... I was not around anyone unmasked 6 feet in for 15 minutes - not even close - except my daughter and boyfriend and both have been negative. However I work at a site that had an outbreak (I am a nurse) and even though I was not, even with PPE, around a patient with COVID, I became positive so it makes me think that I got it from a surface... maybe from a fax machine or a microwave, the bathroom, etc... I did eat there and was 6 feet away from others so maybe from there? I don’t know. And I sanitized my hands obsessively!!!!

is your "staff" medically trained or just administrative people?

also, did the staff already have 2 doses? (I know that they are still supposed to mask, but I am thinking that a few weeks after a second dose, people would really have a tendency to get lax)

at the gym at which I swim, they will not let you in the door without a mask. they also have a thermal scanner- they have gotten a bit lax about the Qs- they are prominently posted, but not asked. there is also one parent of a disabled child who removes her mask in the pool area- she is not supposed to be unmasked unless she is actually swimming. I think that she is non-English speaking because she does a few other prohibited things as well :( I have considered saying something to the staff, but I have only seen her twice.

I am stupid for asking this, but how do you swim wearing a mask? I mean, does it come off at some point or what? I have a pool and the thought of swimming with a wet cloth mask on my face makes me gag. Of course, it can't be waterproof....
Community spread is mysterious. Personally I am still perplexed about how I got it... I was not around anyone unmasked 6 feet in for 15 minutes - not even close - except my daughter and boyfriend and both have been negative. However I work at a site that had an outbreak (I am a nurse) and even though I was not, even with PPE, around a patient with COVID, I became positive so it makes me think that I got it from a surface... maybe from a fax machine or a microwave, the bathroom, etc... I did eat there and was 6 feet away from others so maybe from there? I don’t know. And I sanitized my hands obsessively!!!!

You said 2 important things: " I work at a site that had a breakout" and " I did eat there". I'd consider any communal surface like tables or counters to be potentially infected. Also, any serve yourself drink machines and the people who work in the eating area that might be handling money or food trays/ containers. There is NO possible way to handle money safely, so those people would be at high risk for cross- contamination and infecting others.

Does the place where you work not have a handwashing station every few feet like at the nurses' stations or your department's restrooms? If so, and you have an office job, find a way to wash your hands with liquid soap from a dispenser and warm running water, not depend on hand sanitizer for several reasons if possible. Get the lab to do an agar plate on a washed hand vs a hand sanitizer hand. The differences will be amazing. We did this as part of a study when a Nursing Director tried to get our liquid soap dispenser and warm water handwashing changed to a more expensive disinfecting foam cleanser that didn't use water. She said it saved time. She was an idiot because our hands were not nearly as clean. I got her fired that time. My cousin was VP of the for- profit large hospital corporation and I had documented the times she'd played into the hands of the salesmen and not put her large nursing staff first. Plus, private detectives proved she was spending her lunch hour and a half with the administrator at his house. I don't appreciate arrogance and insular decision- making at the expense of the nurses who are actually working.

In my part of the US, at least, you are describing mostly what an Assisted Living facility is. The fact that you interact with a staff means it's not technically like Senior- aged Apartments. We also have Senior Apartments for rent, and they are just that, apartments for senior aged people who want to live near ( very near) other senior adults. As far as I can tell from visiting a local posh building of apartments for Senior Living, there's NO staff beyond the person at the front desk, and some people who work independently in a Spa. ( massages, hair styling, nails, that sort of thing).

In an Assisted Living, there are pretty strict rules about being able to ambulate independently within the facility, to dine in a central dining area ( not institutional type food but very lovely dining experiences for all 3 meals) and a bedroom, living room, and kitchenette of one's own.

My late husband ( we divorced many years ago but always still loved each other, we simply let time run out to be together because he was stubborn) was in a super pretty apartment that was assisted living in Lexington, KY, after he was becoming ill with Parkinson's. Needless to say, he was falling, and skipping meals because he couldn't get to the dining room by himself after some months there. It was beautifully decorated but was beyond his abilities. I was instrumental in having his brothers wise up about him needing closer care and more care. He called me every day for a very long time and I was the only one he'd tell the truth to about not eating or walking. He did love the place and wanted to stay but just wasn't independent physically enough. Mentally, he was as clear as a bell, always.

Not to keep this discussion going too far...but I guess I am. :D My husband and I were in a combination Independent and Assisted Living facility here in Oregon for about three years until the poor management drove us crazy and we left, along with several other people. We lived in a cottage but the main building was various size apartments. There was a lobby with receptionist, a business manager and an executive director who dealt with everyone. In addition there was an Activities Director who dealt with both independent and assisted living. There was a nurse and an administrator just for assisted living. All of the aides who worked with assisted living residents according to their individual care plans also had to serve everyone in the dining room. They were not trained medically, except for the ones who passed out meds. So it was a real mixture of residents, which did not work too well for those of us in independent living.

We help another friend pay bills and such for a mutual friend who is in assisted living at this facility with dementia. He has a care plan for bathing, dispensing meds, and they do his laundry, etc. and he is allowed to eat in his room because he refuses to go to the dining room. But if he needed help to get to the dining room, an aide would assist him. They bring assisted living residents in wheel chairs if necessary. However, if he falls they can’t help him up and have to call 911. I’m sure it’s different in different states and perhaps even in the same state. This facility has handled the pandemic impeccably, and there have been no cases to my knowledge.

In any case, @tabitha is living in an independent living facility that sounds as if it has similar staffing to ours...office and possibly dining room staff and perhaps an activities director but no aides such as assisted living would need.

My husband and I are in category #3–community spread is mysterious. We don’t know how it found us, since I haven’t left our apartment since late October/early Nov. My husband is scrupulous when he has to go out yada yada yada. We have a few unprovable theories, but nothing we can pinpoint, which my respiratory therapist in the hospital said is the case with 95% of her patients. We still take the precaution of wiping our Instacart grocery deliveries, but I know we’ll be less diligent at home about wiping other things.

I am stupid for asking this, but how do you swim wearing a mask? I mean, does it come off at some point or what? I have a pool and the thought of swimming with a wet cloth mask on my face makes me gag. Of course, it can't be waterproof....

You said 2 important things: " I work at a site that had a breakout" and " I did eat there". I'd consider any communal surface like tables or counters to be potentially infected. Also, any serve yourself drink machines and the people who work in the eating area that might be handling money or food trays/ containers. There is NO possible way to handle money safely, so those people would be at high risk for cross- contamination and infecting others.

Does the place where you work not have a handwashing station every few feet like at the nurses' stations or your department's restrooms? If so, and you have an office job, find a way to wash your hands with liquid soap from a dispenser and warm running water, not depend on hand sanitizer for several reasons if possible. Get the lab to do an agar plate on a washed hand vs a hand sanitizer hand. The differences will be amazing. We did this as part of a study when a Nursing Director tried to get our liquid soap dispenser and warm water handwashing changed to a more expensive disinfecting foam cleanser that didn't use water. She said it saved time. She was an idiot because our hands were not nearly as clean. I got her fired that time. My cousin was VP of the for- profit large hospital corporation and I had documented the times she'd played into the hands of the salesmen and not put her large nursing staff first. Plus, private detectives proved she was spending her lunch hour and a half with the administrator at his house. I don't appreciate arrogance and insular decision- making at the expense of the nurses who are actually working.
I did bring my own food and drinks and washed my hands with soap and water before and after eating and every time I left and went from a room. My point was just disputing the article - it seems apparent that lots of cases are from transfer.

Last edited:
Stay diligent folks! Relating a story from another forum I am on:

I have some news of interest and I think this the best place for it. My cousin is a surgeon here in Virginia He got vaccinated in early Dec and 2nd shot end of Dec. He started to feel unwell Monday - he was diagnosed with Covid today!!! He has mild respiratory issues enough to have him on home oxygen. We are all hoping he does not get worse They sent out blood work to see what strain. He got the Pfizer vaccine.

The test came back as the South African variant.

@tabitha is living in an independent living facility that sounds as if it has similar staffing to ours...office and possibly dining room staff and perhaps an activities director but no aides such as assisted living would need.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!! There is NO assisted living here. There is in a seperate assisted living facility run by a different company across the street from us. We have a small kitchen in our apartments, but all meals are provided. We can go down to the huge dining room to eat or take our meals in our apartments or order out or make our own. I don't go down to the dining room anymore since I feel it is not safe - I mean it is indoor dining with other people.
We have a director, an activities director, a manager, assistant manager, housekeepers and a maintenance man. NO medical staff at all.
You can contract for private nurses or aides if you so wish to come to your apartment, much like you would if living on your own elsewhere.
There is a beauty shop, library, pool room, game room, activity room, chapel and then our 1 bedroom, studio or two bedroom apartments. It is a beautiful facility I do have to admit. I enjoy my little apartment otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan