Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m visiting my Aunt & Uncle on the east coast of FL. I have to say it is so nice to have someone else meal plan and cook for a change. My uncle is an extraordinary good cook and every meal is wonderful. I’ve offered to cook but he chases people out of his kitchen. LOL!

The church had given me 4 fresh ribeye steaks. I think the local ranchers must have donated beef to the food bank. I can grill but not nearly as good as my uncle. So I brought them to him. My cousin, their oldest son, is visiting. The 4 of us had a wonderful steak dinner at home. Baked potatoes and salad too. I never touched the salad, I was so full.

This morning none of us were even hungry for breakfast. But my aunt had made my favorite blueberry scones. So I had tea & scones. Heavenly.

Found myself reading (and drooling) over this recipe at Cooking NYT during lunchtime today:

Roasted Chicken Provençal

I do need to buy some more herbes de Provence blend as the last one got used up rather quickly. LOL
Thanks for sharing.

I noticed kosher salt in the recipe and have seen that Ina Garten uses it too. Not something we do here (sea salt I would use normally). Does it bring something different to a dish do you think? Just curious.

Thanks for sharing.

I noticed kosher salt in the recipe and have seen that Ina Garten uses it too. Not something we do here (sea salt I would use normally). Does it bring something different to a dish do you think? Just curious.

I've never used kosher salt, we use sea salt.

Think I'll make the recipe this Saturday.

Thanks for sharing.

I like Kosher salt because it is course and easier to see and feel as you season whatever you're cooking. I use table salt in baking because I measure it for the recipe. Table salt has a "sweet" taste but Kosher salt is just "salty". We use sea salt in recipes with seafood and fish and as a finishing salt on other dishes.

I like Kosher salt because it is course and easier to see and feel as you season whatever you're cooking. I use table salt in baking because I measure it for the recipe. Table salt has a "sweet" taste but Kosher salt is just "salty". We use sea salt in recipes with seafood and fish and as a finishing salt on other dishes.

Should be spelled COARSE. :oops:

For Easter dinner we did grilled BBQ chicken. I also grilled zucchini boats that we brushed in olive oil, sprinkled with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder.

We made veggie foil packets too. My oldest and I cut up lots of veggies in big chunks. We made each packet with what each person liked. I added butter or vegan butter, salt and pepper. They came out so good with all the flavors melded together. We had zucchini, yellow squash, green peppers, carrots, cauliflower, onions, garlic, red potatoes, and white potatoes.

I used 2 layers of heavy duty foil. It was hard to tell when the veggies were done tho. Next time I won’t grill the packets as long. Maybe open one and stick a fork in a thicker veggie. It sure made for easy cleanup!

For Easter dinner we did grilled BBQ chicken. I also grilled zucchini boats that we brushed in olive oil, sprinkled with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder.

We made veggie foil packets too. My oldest and I cut up lots of veggies in big chunks. We made each packet with what each person liked. I added butter or vegan butter, salt and pepper. They came out so good with all the flavors melded together. We had zucchini, yellow squash, green peppers, carrots, cauliflower, onions, garlic, red potatoes, and white potatoes.

I used 2 layers of heavy duty foil. It was hard to tell when the veggies were done tho. Next time I won’t grill the packets as long. Maybe open one and stick a fork in a thicker veggie. It sure made for easy cleanup!

Sounds like a delicious, healthy dinner!

I ordered some beans from Rancho Gordo, beautiful. Tomorrow is going to be "Red Beans and Rice". Lots of veggies.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/spicy-vegetarian-red-beans-and-rice-recipe-2037315

Tomorrow we are going out, long day, I am putting this in the crockpot in the morning, so everything will be done when we get home. My rice cooker has a setting on it, to start rice at a certain time. I have never used it, will practice tomorrow and let you know how it worked.

I haven't done a food report for a while, so I'll bring you up to speed on recent meals. On Thursday before Easter, we went to Picano's and were seated in our favorite waitress' section. She had a named pasta dish on the specials menu - a chickpea flour pasta with veggies and white wine. I considered ordering it, but when I have the opportunity to eat veal, that is usually my choice. Veal Morel was featured, but I had Veal Picante (veal with lemon and mushrooms in white wine sauce). DH got Osso Bucco with risotto. We had fried calamari appetizer that filled us up quickly, so we had plenty of leftovers from our dinners. We didn't eat meat on Good Friday, so we had our dinner leftovers for lunch on Saturday. DH made pecan-crusted walleye on Good Friday along with leftover veggies from Picano's.

We debated about whether or not to get a ham for Easter and decided to get one and share it with my brothers. I peeled off several slices of the ham for my brothers, put it in a Ziploc bag, and included deli Swiss cheese, a loaf of Italian bread, and a bag of chocolate eggs in their "care package". DH and I had ham with veggies on Saturday, and I made split pea soup on Easter. DH finished the pea soup yesterday. We had walnut-crusted whitefish one day, Jet's pizza takeout, and California BLTs yesterday. Nino's marinated chicken/veggie kabobs tonight, and roasted turkey breast tomorrow. We bought the turkey breast several weeks ago when they were featured at Nino's and forgot that it was in the freezer. I will probably end up making turkey noodle and/or vegetable soup early next week.

I hope everyone is well and that you have gotten (or plan to get) your Covid vaccination. DH and I are officially completely vaccinated having had both shots and passed the two-week immunity phase. Michigan Governor Whitmer has requested that citizens self-restrict for two weeks, including not eating in restaurants, but if we would like an evening out for dinner, we won't hesitate to do just that. We're tired of being cooped up at home and want to resume some sort of normalcy in our lives.

I ordered some beans from Rancho Gordo, beautiful. Tomorrow is going to be "Red Beans and Rice". Lots of veggies.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/spicy-vegetarian-red-beans-and-rice-recipe-2037315

Tomorrow we are going out, long day, I am putting this in the crockpot in the morning, so everything will be done when we get home. My rice cooker has a setting on it, to start rice at a certain time. I have never used it, will practice tomorrow and let you know how it worked.

I love red beans and rice :) This recipe has a lot of ingredients. Did you follow it exactly?

He doesn't soak the beans first! Can that be right? Otherwise looks tempting to try...

Beans soak overnight: 1. Place the beans in a large bowl. Cover with water and soak overnight. Rinse and drain.

Thanks -- I totally missed that and started reading at step #2. (I'm 48 hours past my second vaccine and still feeling a bit loopy -- that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...)

(I’ve soaked beans in broth before too.)

Thanks for this tip! I’ve always wondered about the different salts. We can’t eat too much salt so we use it sparingly.

Thanks for this tip! I’ve always wondered about the different salts. We can’t eat too much salt so we use it sparingly.

The Bragg salt free 24 spice seasoning is pretty good imo, but if you don’t like rosemary I wouldn’t recommend it as it is heavy on the rosemary.

Thanks -- I totally missed that and started reading at step #2. (I'm 48 hours past my second vaccine and still feeling a bit loopy -- that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...)

In a pinch, if you have not soaked dry beans overnight, place them in a large pot with plenty of water (no salt). Bring the pot of beans to a boil, then remove from heat, cover tightly, and let them sit for several hours before draining and proceeding with your recipe. Works for me ;)

I love red beans and rice :) This recipe has a lot of ingredients. Did you follow it exactly?

No kale. And no Adobo peppers, not quite as much spice. But everything else. It worked out well in the slow cooker, nice to come home to the house smelling good, and dinner is ready. The rice cooker timer worked out too.

Dang. It is cold here today..beautiful last week, now back to snow.

Gourmet Salt Guide - The Best Fine, Coarse, & Finishing Salt (seasalt.com)

I've been tempted to try some of the fancy salts at Nino's. They are pricy but it might be nice to indulge in some designer salt. When we've visited Bonaire on various cruises, I always buy the beautiful sea salt for which the island is famous. When you open the package, the salt actually smells like the ocean :) I've also purchased various flavored salts when we visit Grenada - the spice island. They add herbs and spices to local sea salt for unique flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa