Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If my child SCREAMED because there was no Mac & cheese...

1. We would leave.
2. Child would go to bed, no dinner.

I guess that I was the meanest Mom ever! One time my daughter grumbled about dinner, I picked up her plate, and threw it in the trash. Fine. Whatever.

And no one ever complained about their dinner ever again.

That reminds me of a story my mom has told me about my own childhood. I had never before thrown an actual tantrum and definitely not in public, but at around age 3-4, I apparently tried it one time in a store -- on the floor, kicking and screaming, the whole thing. I must have seen another kid do it or maybe on TV.

According to my mom, as I was yelling and kicking, she walked over to me, looked down and said "you know that nonsense doesn't work with me." And I stopped and said "OK" and got up and never tried it again. :p

A friend of mine told me that a few times at suppertime she'd ask her children (a boy and a girl) if they were hungry. One or both might ask "What are you making?". Her answer was always "It doesn't matter what I'm making. If you're hungry you're going to eat whatever I put on the table. Now are you hungry or not?". She didn't tolerate picky and they learned not to ask.

Getting excited for Spring and Summer, fresh fruit and veggies.

What is everyone's plans for St. Patrick's Day?

Easter is coming up..

I'm going to the dentist :D I usually make Shepherd's Pie but haven't decided if I'll do that or not. We're planning dinner at Picano's on Thursday after DH has been to the dentist and swimming. We had back-to-back appointments in September but couldn't go on the same day six months later. Weird.

Haven't really thought about Easter, but DH is going to Costco today and will get a 4# cannister of Jelly Bellys :D

Last edited:
Exactly! And if the child is so picky maybe mom should have checked the menu before they decided to go that particular restaurant.

Many nicer steakhouses have few kids menu options.

When DH and I went to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for his birthday (10/1), we were seated just before a couple with two young children. I probably did a silent :rolleyes: thinking that this was a special dinner out for us that could be ruined with two youngsters at an adjacent table. The couple were celebrating their anniversary with their children, a boy and a girl, who looked to be about 7 and 5, respectively. Turns out that these were two of the most well-mannered children we have ever seen in an upscale restaurant. They clearly knew that they were expected to behave and not disturb other diners. The boy was on a device at times, sharing whatever he was looking at with his sister as she sat quietly. DH and I commented on the nice children several times during dinner. DH was served a complimentary birthday cheesecake shortly before the couple got one for their anniversary. We offered them a toast and congratulations, and they told DH "Happy Birthday". We were ready to leave before the family of four and complimented the parents on their lovely, well-behaved children. I told the children that their parents must be very proud of them, and they said, "Thank you" when Mom said, "What do you say?"

Our cable (TV, landline, internet) was down for a while this morning, so I read my new Food Network Magazine. I especially enjoyed the article about "superfoods" and thought I'd type it and share it with you.

30 Days of Superfoods

Blueberries – good for your brain

Chickpeas – help keep blood sugar in check

Matcha – can help your memory

Mushrooms – great source of Vitamin D

Avocado – more potassium than bananas

Turmeric – strong medicinal properties

Salmon – higher in Omega-3S than most other fish

Fennel – contains a powerful anti-inflammatory

Yogurt – loaded with calcium

Acai – more antioxidants than most other berries

Eggs – contain 13 essential vitamins and minerals

Oats – can help manage cholesterol

Ginger – good for digestion

Walnuts – packed with Omega-3S

Garlic – a natural antibiotic

Pumpkin – full of beta-carotene

Watercress – a great source of Vitamin K

Beets – can improve your workouts

Farro – more fiber than most grains

Dark Chocolate – can be good for your heart

Kale – full of Vitamins A, K, and C

Black Beans – full of protein and fiber

Honey – natural bacteria fighter

Coconut – full of iron and copper

Sauerkraut – more probiotics than yogurt

Pomegranate Seeds – bursting with antioxidants

Pistachios – can be good for your eyesight

Pepitas – a great source of magnesium

Edamame – a complete protein

Raspberries – loaded with Vitamin C

Blueberries, chickpeas, oats, mushrooms, avocado, fennel, black beans, beets, kale, farro and salmon are some of my favorites. And we use fresh garlic and ginger in many of our recipes.

I have tried watercress but felt like it didn’t add much flavor to my recipes. Maybe I will give it another try.

Blueberries, chickpeas, oats, mushrooms, avocado, fennel, black beans, beets, kale, farro and salmon are some of my favorites. And we use fresh garlic and ginger in many of our recipes.

I have tried watercress but felt like it didn’t add much flavor to my recipes. Maybe I will give it another try.
I am scanning the list thinking, yes, no, what is that?, no, no, dang allergies. LOL! I gotta go look up Matcha. Never heard of it.

If my child SCREAMED because there was no Mac & cheese...

1. We would leave.
2. Child would go to bed, no dinner.

I guess that I was the meanest Mom ever! One time my daughter grumbled about dinner, I picked up her plate, and threw it in the trash. Fine. Whatever.

And no one ever complained about their dinner ever again.

we would’ve went outside, got a spanking, calmed down and went back to have our dinner.
I too, was a mean mom. Pickiness wasn’t tolerated. You eat what we are having or you go hungry until the next meal. Of course, like adults, there will be a few foods a child genuinely dislikes. So on those occasions, I made sure there was an alternative for that child. Those were rare occasions though. My kids grew up well mannered and good eaters. I never had to worry about taking them out in public.

For St Patrick’s Day tomorrow we are having cabbage. I have one left in the freezer from last summer.

The food pick up had a big ham in it. I’ve thawed it so I can cut it up, save the bone for soup, etc.

My latest concoction from the produce pick up:

I seeded about 20 Roma tomatoes and cut them in big chunks. Tossed them in a big pot with olive oil, fresh onion, garlic. Figured I’d let it simmer into sauce. But, as it was sautéing, I found and tossed in some zucchini and yellow squash. Then I found some spinach and tossed that in there too. My kid thought it was amazing. She ate it all. I never even got to taste it. But it cleaned out the fridge!

Top of the Day to You :) I have a dental appointment at 11:00 during which time DH will go to the library to pick up reserved books. He didn't do a lot of reading while he was working but is enjoying a favorite pastime now that he's retired. We are having lamb chops that I'll marinate in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and fresh rosemary. I will cook Yukon Gold potatoes, mash them roughly, and toss with crumbled bacon and Tuscan kale. We'll stop at Nino's after my dentist appointment for a few items and swordfish for Friday. We enjoyed delicious sockeye salmon with asparagus last night. A chunk of Irish cheddar would be nice to grate over the Colcannon with Irish soda bread. No Bailey's :D

We had planned to go out to dinner last Thursday night but decided against due to gusty winds. We had take-out chicken tenders with salad. On Friday, we had swordfish steaks with sauteed kale, and turkey meatballs with spinach, feta, and sundried tomatoes in marinara with pasta on Saturday. We went to Picano's last night and had one of the most awesome dinners ever. We both ordered featured specials: I had Veal Morel, DH had a veal chop with mushroom risotto. We ordered an artichoke appetizer that we didn't recall having previously. When we order an appetizer at Picano's, it's usually their fabulous Calamari Fritti with marinara or Arancini (mozzarella-stuffed rice balls). There were four artichoke hearts with egg and Parm coating, lightly sauteed in lemon butter sauce. They were divine :) We had a carafe of the house Chianti, and I got a cannoli to-go for dessert while watching Stanley Tucci: Searching For Italy on CNN. Last night's episode was Sicily, the finale for this season. I read last week that the show has been renewed for a second season. If you didn't watch the first season, you can probably watch it on-demand or on the CNN site. We loved the show and are glad that it will be on again.

The best part of our dinner last night was our waitress who remembered us even though she was away from Picano's for a year. When restaurants reopened last June following a three-month lockdown, our waitress wasn't there. We asked about her and were simply told that "she didn't come back". We didn't give it much thought because many people in the hospitality business didn't want to be exposed to Covid, and with limited patrons, most workers wouldn't have made much in tips. We were delighted to see A... last night, and she shared that she had gone through surgery and treatment for ovarian cancer :( She's probably in her early 40s and has a 20-something son who returned to their native Poland when he could still travel. A.. looks good and said that she is doing fine now and is happy to be back at Picano's. We will definitely be going to Picano's regularly, and we always request a table in A..'s section if she's working.

Last edited:
We had planned to go out to dinner last Thursday night but decided against due to gusty winds. We had take-out chicken tenders with salad. On Friday, we had swordfish steaks with sauteed kale, and turkey meatballs with spinach, feta, and sundried tomatoes in marinara with pasta on Saturday. We went to Picano's last night and had one of the most awesome dinners ever. We both ordered featured specials: I had Veal Morel, DH had a veal chop with mushroom risotto. We ordered an artichoke appetizer that we didn't recall having previously. When we order an appetizer at Picano's, it's usually their fabulous Calamari Fritti with marinara or Arancini (mozzarella-stuffed rice balls). There were four artichoke hearts with egg and Parm coating, lightly sauteed in lemon butter sauce. They were divine :) We had a carafe of the house Chianti, and I got a cannoli to-go for dessert while watching Stanley Tucci: Searching For Italy on CNN. Last night's episode was Sicily, the finale for this season. I read last week that the show has been renewed for a second season. If you didn't watch the first season, you can probably watch it on-demand or on the CNN site. We loved the show and are glad that it will be on again.

The best part of our dinner last night was our waitress who remembered us even though she was away from Picano's for a year. When restaurants reopened last June following a three-month lockdown, our waitress wasn't there. We asked about her and were simply told that "she didn't come back". We didn't give it much thought because many people in the hospitality business didn't want to be exposed to Covid, and with limited patrons, most workers wouldn't have made much in tips. We were delighted to see A... last night, and she shared that she had gone through surgery and treatment for ovarian cancer :( She's probably in her early 40s and has a 20-something son who returned to their native Poland when he could still travel. A.. looks good and said that she is doing fine now and is happy to be back at Picano's. We will definitely be going to Picano's regularly, and we always request a table in A..'s section if she's working.

Thank you for sharing your foodie adventures and meal ideas and recipes. We have similar tastes and I have picked up a few ideas from you along the way. Picano's sounds amazing. What a lovely surprise to see your server. Unfortunately we don't live near any fine Italian restaurants; just a few red-sauce type places that are heavy on the pasta and oil. Those artichoke sound divine. I love ordering things that require a lot of chopping and stirring, because arthritis in my feet can limit what I prepare at home.

Regarding the Stanley Tucci program on CNN. I must admit I didn't watch the first two episodes; I still really miss Anthony Bourdain and I still feel a bit of a hole in my soul since his passing. The last show he filmed in Seattle made me cry like a baby when I watched it again recently. :(

But I left CNN on when Searching For Italy came on a few weeks ago, and I was charmed by Mr. Tucci. He's so elegant and handsome and well-mannered. I may have a new crush. I think his show is just perfect, and I'm so glad to read what you wrote about the show being renewed. Bravo CNN!

Salut @BetteDavisEyes and DH as well. I look forward to reading more of your delicious posts.

...Regarding the Stanley Tucci program on CNN. I must admit I didn't watch the first two episodes; I still really miss Anthony Bourdain and I still feel a bit of a hole in my soul since his passing. The last show he filmed in Seattle made me cry like a baby when I watched it again recently. :(

But I left CNN on when Searching For Italy came on a few weeks ago, and I was charmed by Mr. Tucci. He's so elegant and handsome and well-mannered. I may have a new crush. I think his show is just perfect, and I'm so glad to read what you wrote about the show being renewed. Bravo CNN!...

DH and I were fervent fans of Anthony Bourdain, so I understand how you feel about missing his brilliant food/travel shows. Stanley Tucci will never replace AB, but Searching For Italy is a welcome opportunity to experience the food and culture of Italy. We looked forward to each episode and wished the show was longer as the hour goes by so quickly :) I was so happy to learn that the show will be on again and look forward to Stanley Tucci's further travels around Italy.

My pre-ordered Katie Lee Biegel cookbook - It's Not Complicated: Simple Recipes for Every Day - arrived today. It is a beautiful book, and I can't wait to peruse it later today. I'll be watching figure skating for the next couple of hours as I've done the past few days.

OT: For those who might not follow the Covid vaccination thread, I want my foodie friends to know that DH and I had our second Pfizer shots this week: Mine was Wednesday, and DH had his yesterday. Neither of us had any side effects - not even sore arms. We are glad to have the vaccinations behind us and look forward to more freedom in the coming weeks.

I am getting burned out on cooking lately. Lots of takeout this week.

We planned on takeout twice this week because we couldn't know in advance how we would feel after our respective second shots. Turned out that we were fine but it was still nice not to have to plan meals or cook. We were supposed to have Parm/pecan encrusted walleye last night, but DH had gone swimming in the early afternoon and needed a nap. He ended up sleeping for three hours, and at 7:00, it was too late to start fixing dinner. I had a sandwich, and DH made a quickie soup with noodles cooked in chicken stock. We'll enjoy the walleye tonight.

I finally had some time to look through my new Katie Lee Biegel cookbook and came across something that I had not seen before. As I starting flipping through the pages, a loose leaf fell from the back cover of the book. It was about half the size of the other pages and indicated:

It's Not Complicated - errata.
Creamy Spinach Artichoke Pasta Page 78
The following paragraph is missing from the method, following "...of the pasta water." Recipe followed.

I turned to page 78 and read the recipe that sounds delicious. Beautiful photo of the finished dish. I placed the loose page with the rest of the recipe. This is so bizarre, and I have never seen anything like this previously. WTF! How could such a glaring error slip by the editorial staff? Maybe heads should roll :D I hope the cookbook is a best seller so they can release an updated edition without the errata. I read through the table of contents and introduction and will eventually sit down, put my feet up, and read every recipe. I love cookbooks! Even if I don't make more than a handful of recipes from my large collection, I enjoy reading the stories behind the recipes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member