TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link please to show killer did not know she was dead yet

Do you mean wasn't dead? Because she didn't die until the next day. I think it would be unusual for a truly professional hitperson to leave their victim alive tbh. What if it was one of those strange cases where someone shot even in the head still survives, and lives? It's happened before! I doubt you get your money if the target lives to tell the tale... It's one reason why I think while it's possibly a hit, it's not a true pro.

I would think if you were into Cosplay and intended to kill her, the last thing you would wear is Cosplay gear. However, if one was not into Cosplay but wanted to make it look like someone in the Cosplay world is responsible, they may wear a costume, no?
MOO and food for thought.

Possible, but Elizabeth would likely have a reaction then, too. She doesn't seem taken aback by the person's appearance.

I would think if you were into Cosplay and intended to kill her, the last thing you would wear is Cosplay gear. However, if one was not into Cosplay but wanted to make it look like someone in the Cosplay world is responsible, they may wear a costume, no?

Possible, but Elizabeth would likely have a reaction then, too. She doesn't seem taken aback by the person's appearance.

A thought about the car potentially being borrowed or stolen... if he/she had borrowed or stolen it with the intention of returning it before the owner noticed, they’d have to be sure the person wouldn’t look for it for quite a long period of time. If they saw the vehicle the night before you’re looking at around 12 hours or so, give or take a few.

That’s quite a gamble.

I wonder if the timing of the shooting had more to do with known availability of the vehicle than any plans Liz & husband might have had. Someone being on holiday perhaps.

Link please to show killer did not know she was dead yet

My point was not about whether the Killer THOUGHT she was dead...I think he did.

But im just pointing out that...as it turned out...she wasn’t. She died in the hospital. But he took the risk to drive past again...even though...what could he be sure of from the truck? That’s why I asked the question...was that the only way out of the neighborhood? Did he actually go out of his way to drive by again or did the exit he was heading for...require it?

Right, who would be so foolish as to leave a note? One could only hope: "Dear Eliabeth, I am doing this because ...."
IMO The reason for a note was the same as the reason for the whole plan, costume, etc., some inane attempt to lead police down some path. In the early days, more was stated about the note (unofficially). People scrutinized forums & social media for comments from people close to the family, and some of those people did make comments. More than a little was said about this at the time. I don't have the the info right at hand and it wouldn't qualify for discussion here; there's no way to know the accuracy. However - the police have been silent on what, if anything, was handed to Elizabeth.

I agree with others who think this might be a younger person, someone who isn't normally the criminal type and wouldn't think dressing up in costume is a problem when committing murder. Nevertheless, it hasn't made a difference. Two years on and there's still no arrest.

and...as it turns out...she wasn’t dead...not yet. He sure wasn’t squeamish about seeing the results of his attack on the poor woman for a second time.

Was that the only way out of the neighborhood?

(I live in a nearby neighborhood) Their house was at the back of the neighborhood, on a cul-de-sac. There's a couple streets that eventually lead out onto the main road but you would really only use the route closest to their house as that's the fastest & most direct. It's definitely not a random chance shooting, there's a lot more options before you get to their house, whatever route taken.

link to a map of the neighborhood & the block their house was on:
Google Earth

(I live in a nearby neighborhood) Their house was at the back of the neighborhood, on a cul-de-sac. There's a couple streets that eventually lead out onto the main road but you would really only use the route closest to their house as that's the fastest & most direct. It's definitely not a random chance shooting, there's a lot more options before you get to their house, whatever route taken.

link to a map of the neighborhood & the block their house was on:
Google Earth

Thanks so much. I can understand now why the killer was in the neighborhood the night before. Before dawn, it could be easy to become confused. Definitely not a random killing, as you say.

Even if you are into Cosplay and familiar with the concept, it has to strike one as strange to have someone walking up to you in the early morning on a weekday dressed in a costume.

Though I do not have any first hand knowledge of the Cos Play sub culture, I was once interested in a girl who was heavily into Rennasiance Faires and Society for Creative Anachronism.

She and the others in the group were crafty and sewed their own costumes, wire wrapped jewelry, embossed leather items etc.

I vaguely remember that she and some others would wear partial costume around campus on occasion. For them, it was purely an attraction to the style and a chance to show their hand work to interested people (usually theatre majors and counter cultural types) rather than blurring reality with fantasy.

With her in mind, though it might not be common for those diving deep into cos-play to wear partial costumes on a day to day basis, it might not be strange to the extent that alarm bells would be triggered either.

That could be espescialy so at a garage sale featuring items that cos play participants might be interested in. Thus, a certain number of cosplayers were expected with the possibility a deep diving customer or two.

Last edited:
Though I do not have any first hand knowledge of the Cos Play sub culture, I was once interested in a girl who was heavily into Rennasiance Faires and Society for Creative Anachronism.

She and the others in the group were crafty and sewed their own costumes, wire wrapped jewelry, embossed leather items etc.

I vaguely remember that she and some others would wear partial costume around campus on occasion. For them, it was purely an attraction to the style and a chance to show their hand work to interested people (usually theatre majors and counter cultural types) rather than blurring reality with fantasy.

With her in mind, though it might not be common for those diving deep into cos-play to wear partial costumes on a day to day basis, it might not be strange to the extent that alarm bells would be triggered either.

That could be espescialy so at a garage sale featuring items that cos play participants might be interested in. Thus, a certain number of cosplayers were expected with the possibility a deep diving customer or two.

I absolutely agree, but if this was 10 AM. This was pretty much before dusk and the sale was barely set up.

This was pretty much before dusk and the sale was barely set up.
One needs to get the good stuff before it goes. Professional garage sale shoppers (those reselling their purchases) get on the road very early to beat out the competition.

This, "early bird gets the worm practice" probably extends to specialized hobby interests as well such as high standard cos play gear.

As a result, I think the victim could have noticed her possibly costume like dress, then assumed she was an early bird cos play deep diver determined to get first dibs on 501 level gear for sale.

As a side note, the group is known in the sub culture for having very high standards for costumes. Thus, garage sales featuring the gear could attract early birds who are "in the know".

Last edited:
I think possibly Elizabeth was just one of those legions of nice women, who never think bad or suspicious thoughts about other people, especially not potential customers at her garage sale. They (we) are far too polite to react in a negative way that might hurt someone's feelings, regardless of how they dress or how strange their behaviour is. Her murder is so, so cruel and unfair.

Do you mean wasn't dead? Because she didn't die until the next day. I think it would be unusual for a truly professional hitperson to leave their victim alive tbh. What if it was one of those strange cases where someone shot even in the head still survives, and lives? It's happened before! I doubt you get your money if the target lives to tell the tale... It's one reason why I think while it's possibly a hit, it's not a true pro.
OH; I see what you mean. But how do you tell by driving by? So, still odd. Brazen.

OH; I see what you mean. But how do you tell by driving by? So, still odd. Brazen.

As I see things, driving by ‘to see if someone’s dead’ makes no sense at all.

So, what are the possibilities?

1: someone nervous and flustered, who is doing something that doesn’t make sense?

2: someone who turned the wrong way, and circled back by accident.

3: someone who circles back to gloat.

What other possibilities?

1: someone nervous and flustered, who is doing something that doesn’t make sense?

Very unlikely possibility but if they lived in the neighborhood they would turn around and drive back by. But surely LE found other footage of them leaving the neighborhood another way after seeing that they drove back by after he shot Liz. Right? Or did he turn around again and go back out?

Possibly someone who wanted to take a photo or video of Elizabeth with their cellphone? To relive the moment?

JMOO

When I watch that video, I see someone who is immersed in the “fantasy” of the act. I imagine that they felt it was a risky, dangerous thing to do. The intrigue of staking out the house. The way they walk, swing their hair (wig?) and shoot EB when she’s on the ground just feels... theatrical. It’s a gut instinct, but to me, it honestly reads as someone pretending they’re in a movie or something. I can see that someone who’s into cosplay might be that type of personality. Not just to kill someone and get it done, but go out and get some elaborate costume like a Bond villain. My opinion and speculation only of course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637