TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as i know, it hasn't been disclosed or is known. That information is highly likely to require a search warrant, of which it would take months. Family/LE have Jason's iPhone (which would show last addresses entered), but are unable to unlock it.

The 67-minute window...is a complete blank. With no idea what was happening between 11:24 p.m. and 12:31 a.m., the theories have spanned anywhere from "staging an accident to start a new life" or "met foul play and the site was staged." Personally my biggest question mark is what LE means by the "digital trail" disappeared. Jim West did a drive through the area - the signal does drop quite a bit as one drives further east and north on SFR, but it wouldn't have cut out instantly at that intersection. Does LE have any cell phone pings or other data or the slightest idea?

When I took my tour (lack of a better term) of Salt Flat Road my phone was working. Even further north (past the crash site). Not saying anyone is wrong, just on my account. While there, I was able to pull up news articles to get the exact location and use google maps to find the crash site like I was in a city. Moreover, I was able to send texts and make a call. I have Sprint/TMobile, which have lots of dead zones.

Maybe LE knows more about the 67 minute window than we all do?

Yes, very accurate on how long this process takes. Seeing the timing of this discussed in many cases, it certainly seems accurate that in order for LE to get any ‘app info’, would need warrant and timing getting the data back is estimated at months at a minimum.

So I’ve only popped in to post how absolutely utterly ridiculous I think it is that it takes months to acquire this information. When it comes to criminal activity, or missing persons, really for whatever LE requires this data for - it should be unacceptable to take so long. I understand these companies have to utilize their own manpower resources to extract the data, make ‘user friendly’ (I’m guessing - unless LE has or takes it to someone familiar with the datasets), but c’mon months? What if a potential life was on the line - is it then expedited I wonder? I’ve certainly seen cases where LE comments on phone and app activity within a very short timeframe from the point of said person missing, but it’s not disclosed how they got that info. I think most often its that family was able to access it and provided LE with the same credentials to access or whatnot.
I wonder if anyone is petitioning a movement to pass into law to have these data requests lead by a strict set of steps in a maximum allowance of time the app co. must furnish LE with this data request.

ok off my soapbox but that boggles my mind and makes me so frustrated when I come across cases that this information is SO critical to even consider a next move.

I continue to maintain my belief Jason is within 10 miles of the cars location, succumbed to injuries or elements, and has simply been overlooked. Always sending strong thoughts I’m wrong and he’s safe somewhere and just needed a break from his life, however in all logic..

Moo.
Is there room on your soap box for me too?

I think a previous poster recommended that there should be an “Amber Alert” type situation for these situations. To A. Find the vehicle operator and B. In a missing persons situation have MUCH FASTER access to internet data.

I’m guessing LE has to label the situation as-a-whole, a crime in order to get the data quicker.

A normal situation of a driver abandoning a vehicle for a DUI/crash situation is one thing, but there were possessions and clothes in the road!!!! Come on LE!!!

Dropbox - Jason Landry.pdf - Simplify your life

Bringing the body of work member @JimWest compiled.

I believe there was no foul play involved in the car accident. I feel if someone wanted to harm Jason, then his car may have been set on fire. There has been no evidence revealed that any other individuals were involved in this road trip.

Two things still bother me in addition to the fact that Jason drove for a long while on the unpaved, pothole filled, rocky road.

1. What was Jason doing with the SnapChat app open? If his settings would allow his location to display, then whomever he was friends with in SnapChat could see his location. Maybe a buddy would have said: "Hey, Bro. Going the wrong way. Turn the car around." However, no one has come forward to say they communicated via SnapChat with Jason.

2. Why did he leave the accident scene without the lifeline that is his cellphone? We have a clue to his mental state by knowing he discarded clothing in the road.

It appears his watch was the first item removed and placed on the road. For this reason, I feel he had been wearing the same clothing that he wore in the photos of him taken prior to his departure. He wasn't plundering thru his backpack only to toss these items onto the road. Also, the speck of blood found on the back of his undies indicates he may have caught a barb when exiting his car.

I find it odd he was not carrying extra jeans, shirts, undies but mostly another pair of shoes since all he had were the casual black slides. Where are his sneakers?

Although I don't prefer the theory, I'll admit any and all other clothes and shoes he'd need were presently at his father's home, especially, since KL never mentions a lack of extra clothing as being unusual.

Further, I don't understand why additional officially organized searches are not being conducted. Why would LEO in the area think it's alright to give up on locating Jason?

Is there room on your soap box for me too?

I think a previous poster recommended that there should be an “Amber Alert” type situation for these situations. To A. Find the vehicle operator and B. In a missing persons situation have MUCH FASTER access to internet data.

I’m guessing LE has to label the situation as-a-whole, a crime in order to get the data quicker.

A normal situation of a driver abandoning a vehicle for a DUI/crash situation is one thing, but there were possessions and clothes in the road!!!! Come on LE!!!

Absolutely my friend! Something has to change with this as a whole in LE world. It’s so surreal to see such actions (getting info out to msm/public, phone/app data, etc etc) require such a process that anyone would just have to shake their head wondering how in the world has no one ‘bettered’ this process! Ugh.

And to the last few mentioning why are searches seemingly not happening?? Agreed! WHY. I’ll admit life and work, and a lot of anxiety and depression has not allowed for me to keep up on all cases as I used to so I’m not as well versed on all particulars of what’s been or being done. However I am not seeing ANY talk of searches being planned or done at all. I mean if LE wasn’t I’d sure as heck be doing everything in my power to drive the biggest community planned search ever - unless LE asked us not to and I am more convinced than I am at the moment that literally anything is being done here. Don’t read me wrong, I have much respect for LE. I’m hopeful they are making strides in the search for Jason and there’s some sort of validity to not releasing that info publically.

I can’t imagine if this was my loved one.

moo

@JimWest did a tremendous job putting this information together. I’m just as impressed now as I was when he first shared it.

Sadly, I feel like we’re at a ‘stand still’ with Jason’s case until some sort of new info is found or shared (like the remaining phone data that seems to be taking forever and a day to get o_OIMO).
I pray LE has valuable info or maybe a potential lead of some sort that they are (understandably) keeping to themselves at the moment.

I feel awful for Jason’s family, esp when looking at family photos that are posted on the fb page showing holidays or important family milestones he’s missing out on. It does give me some comfort seeing that his family’s faith in God is so strong and the assurance they’ve shared that if Jason is no longer alive here on this Earth, that he is indeed in a better place & they’ll reunite again when time. (Respectfully, my humble opinion)

Hopefully, there will be answers (of any kind) soon! ❤️

Hello WS,
I have been observing the the JL case and dialogue on WS for months (since the beginning), but haven't joined / posted until now.
I am in the camp JL did not disappear into the night and is living life anew - a college student just does not disappear and someway reinvent himself without funding, etc..
I have been especially intrigued by the physical area (and dialogue about) where JL disappeared, including the immediate area since it so different from what I am used to in Calif. - I found the JimWest videos especially interesting, in particular the crash site video.
What jumped out at me (as an engineer) when I viewed the videos was the cable raceway / troughs (or whatever is the correct terminology) under the roadways - we don't see such exposed power cables routed above ground and then under roadways in this manner in Calif.
If JL met harm on that night, and someone wanted to hide the victim, and considering JL seems to have been stripped naked, I wonder, could someone have attempted to conceal (stuff) the body in one of the cable raceways / troughs, either near the crash site or a bit farther away?
At first glance, one may say, no-way (!) due the apparent size of the troughs (openings w/cables) and the fact that they do not appear large enough to stuff a human body - however, if one looks at the the high angle view of the crash site - the one that includes the drone operator and friends in the view - the proportion of the humans in the picture to the size of the cable raceways / troughs appear much more similar than without humans in the picture - in other words, the raceways may be larger than they appear, especially if someone tried to conceal a relatively fit, naked college age male like JL.
Of course, I have not seen the details up close, so a physical search could prove my query totally off-base - another logical objection would be that during the search of the area by the professional searchers and search dogs the dogs should / would have picked up the JL scent if stuffed in such a raceway / trough, to which I don't have a strong response, although I suspect such searches are not full proof (100% accurate) ...
Bottom line, I hope / assume the professional searchers during the search of the Salt Flat road area and areas up & down the road made an effort to check those power cable raceways / troughs as it would seem they possibly could be overlooked ....
Hope JL is found soon.
T.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-03 194112.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-03 194112.png
    706.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot 2021-06-03 194416.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-03 194416.png
    803.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Screenshot 2021-06-03 193921.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-03 193921.png
    1,000.6 KB · Views: 117
I agree with all of y’all that I hope there’s another search soon. But I don’t think there’s no searching right now because they’ve lost interest. I think they are at a loss where to search next. They actually did some pretty extensive searches early on and another in February. They pulled out all the stops IMO with dogs, horses, drones, helicopters, foot searchers including Texas Eqqusearch.

I personally think it couldn’t hurt to do another search of the same area—maybe going further out this time. I still think it’s very possible he isn’t too far from the crash site but just well hidden.

My guess is that they’ve been investigating behind the scenes to find anything to point them in another direction. Like starting a new life or trouble with anyone or a group of people that might want him gone, evidence that something happened back in San Marcos etc. Hoping for a new search soon!

I believe there was no foul play involved in the car accident. I feel if someone wanted to harm Jason, then his car may have been set on fire. There has been no evidence revealed that any other individuals were involved in this road trip.

JMO & I could be totally wrong, but I agree with you that there was no foul play involved with the car accident.
Some Possible Reasons for the wreck could be:
1. an animal ran out in front of him
2. Jason was merely going too fast and lost control
3. he was impaired
and one theory that I’m not sure if we’ve discussed or not is:
4. after driving down Salt Flat for a bit, Jason starts questioning whether this was the correct route home. Realizing he may need to check Waze to be sure, he starts looking for his cellphone that had (possibly) fell between the seat & console earlier. After attempting to feel for his phone is unsuccessful, Jason takes his eyes off the road to actually look for it. This unfortunately causes the wreck.

However, no one has come forward to say they communicated via SnapChat with Jason.

Concerning the Snapchat communication:
I don’t know too much about Snapchat, but if he opened Snapchat because someone sent him a msg, I would think (and hope) that particular person would voluntarily tell LE or at least his family about it. With this scenario, I’m assuming the person would be a close friend or family member...or even a casual acquaintance.
But what would be reasons for someone to NOT come forward with this info?
•it was someone who isn’t considered a friend/acquaintance of Jason. (‘shady’)
•the Snapchat was about something that this person does not want others to find out about (personal, embarrassing, illegal, ....)
•no one sent Jason anything through Snapchat
-if this is the case, then that would possibly mean Jason was sending a Snapchat msg to someone (but then the person he sent it to should come forth & say “hey, I’m the one Jason sent it to!”) OR possibly mean Jason was thinking about using Snapchat but then for whatever reason didn’t.

Again, the above are just possibilities...none of which I’m sure of or even leaning towards. The only thing I am certain of is I believe it’s important that LE obtain that info.

Why did he leave the accident scene without the lifeline that is his cellphone? We have a clue to his mental state by knowing he discarded clothing in the road.

Why did Jason leave the accident scene without his cellphone?

Possibilities:
1. His adrenaline was pumping because he had just wrecked his car...at night...in the middle of nowhere. He wasn’t thinking clearly, after looking for it, he was like ‘forget it; I’m walking for help.’
2. Jason had a head injury of some sort from the wreck so he was experiencing confused thinking on top of just being involved in an accident. He wasn’t even thinking about his phone.
>So if he wasn’t worried about getting his phone, then why was he worried about his beta fish and backpack? It may be just because those items were literally in sight. Not thinking clearly, he grabbed those items but his phone was kind of like, “out of sight, out of mind.”
3. He was impaired

Again, just thinking aloud; listing possibilities that others may offer insight or piggyback off of. :)

@califtom Welcome to Websleuths!

And thank you for posting on Jason’s thread; great first post.

I’m going to go check out these culverts (or at least that’s what they remind me of :D) you described; I’m curious for sure.
Thanks for including photos of them as well. :)

I find it odd he was not carrying extra jeans, shirts, undies but mostly another pair of shoes since all he had were the casual black slides. Where are his sneakers?

Although I don't prefer the theory, I'll admit any and all other clothes and shoes he'd need were presently at his father's home, especially, since KL never mentions a lack of extra clothing as being unusual.

Please forgive me; I may have totally read over this detail! :confused:

Do we know for sure that there were no other clothes, bags, items...left in the car (seat or trunk)?
It may have been addressed by LE, his dad, media..and I just overlooked it or have forgotten? Or are we assuming there wasn’t anymore clothing/bags left because they just weren’t mentioned?

JMO & I could be totally wrong, but I agree with you that there was no foul play involved with the car accident.
Some Possible Reasons for the wreck could be:
1. an animal ran out in front of him
2. Jason was merely going too fast and lost control
3. he was impaired
and one theory that I’m not sure if we’ve discussed or not is:
4. after driving down Salt Flat for a bit, Jason starts questioning whether this was the correct route home. Realizing he may need to check Waze to be sure, he starts looking for his cellphone that had (possibly) fell between the seat & console earlier. After attempting to feel for his phone is unsuccessful, Jason takes his eyes off the road to actually look for it. This unfortunately causes the wreck.

Concerning the Snapchat communication:
I don’t know too much about Snapchat, but if he opened Snapchat because someone sent him a msg, I would think (and hope) that particular person would voluntarily tell LE or at least his family about it. With this scenario, I’m assuming the person would be a close friend or family member...or even a casual acquaintance.
But what would be reasons for someone to NOT come forward with this info?
•it was someone who isn’t considered a friend/acquaintance of Jason. (‘shady’)
•the Snapchat was about something that this person does not want others to find out about (personal, embarrassing, illegal, ....)
•no one sent Jason anything through Snapchat
-if this is the case, then that would possibly mean Jason was sending a Snapchat msg to someone (but then the person he sent it to should come forth & say “hey, I’m the one Jason sent it to!”) OR possibly mean Jason was thinking about using Snapchat but then for whatever reason didn’t.

Again, the above are just possibilities...none of which I’m sure of or even leaning towards. The only thing I am certain of is I believe it’s important that LE obtain that info.

Why did Jason leave the accident scene without his cellphone?

Possibilities:
1. His adrenaline was pumping because he had just wrecked his car...at night...in the middle of nowhere. He wasn’t thinking clearly, after looking for it, he was like ‘forget it; I’m walking for help.’
2. Jason had a head injury of some sort from the wreck so he was experiencing confused thinking on top of just being involved in an accident. He wasn’t even thinking about his phone.
>So if he wasn’t worried about getting his phone, then why was he worried about his beta fish and backpack? It may be just because those items were literally in sight. Not thinking clearly, he grabbed those items but his phone was kind of like, “out of sight, out of mind.”
3. He was impaired

Again, just thinking aloud; listing possibilities that others may offer insight or piggyback off of. :)

Thanks for offering realistic possibilities.

While reading the options of why Jason left his phone, I thought of this: my gdaughter can "ask siri" questions using her iPhone. Do we know if Jason's phone was an apple iPhone?

If so, he could "ask siri" for directions, to call his father, or number of things without actually holding the phone in his hand. I suppose he could "ask siri" to call his phone. Alexa does that for me when I can't find mine.

What can I ask Siri? - Official Apple Support

Please forgive me; I may have totally read over this detail! :confused:

Do we know for sure that there were no other clothes, bags, items...left in the car (seat or trunk)?
It may have been addressed by LE, his dad, media..and I just overlooked it or have forgotten? Or are we assuming there wasn’t anymore clothing/bags left because they just weren’t mentioned?

Hi, mlhenn. I'm assuming there were no other articles of clothing or footwear although I've not seen the Inventory Report. No other items except the stuff left in the road have been mentioned, to my knowledge.

I think it's reasonable to ask about a duffle bag or something similar he may have used to pack clothes for an almost 3 week holiday. Who has so many pairs of sneakers, by example, that they keep a pair at dad's and another pair in his apartment at college?

Since I'm the mother of a daughter who brought home clothes, shoes and tennis rackets from out of state college 5 hrs away, I may possess bias thoughts on this subject.

May I add my comment to the tread - I am a new member and I don’t even know how to reply to another members comment!

I wrote an email in March to Texas Search and Rescue - asking if there was anything they found - to hold a press conference or speak on Chanel 13 news! I have not heard back a word, no reply , silence! Even not finding Jason ,I personally believe the public deserves an answer! Am I wrong?
All my research and opinions!

May I add my comment to the tread - I am a new member and I don’t even know how to reply to another members comment!

I wrote an email in March to Texas Search and Rescue - asking if there was anything they found - to hold a press conference or speak on Chanel 13 news! I have not heard back a word, no reply , silence! Even not finding Jason ,I personally believe the public deserves an answer! Am I wrong?
All my research and opinions!

Do you see “reply” in the bottom right corner of any posts? Not sure if you have to be a member awhile before that option appears...did not think so. If you can see it, use that on any post you wish to comment on so that it appears as well as your own words, on your post.
Welcome to WS...

Hello WS,

I have been especially intrigued by the physical area (and dialogue about) where JL disappeared, including the immediate area since it so different from what I am used to in Calif. - I found the JimWest videos especially interesting, in particular the crash site video.
What jumped out at me (as an engineer) when I viewed the videos was the cable raceway / troughs (or whatever is the correct terminology) under the roadways - we don't see such exposed power cables routed above ground and then under roadways in this manner in Calif.

When I was a kid, my grandparents had a root cellar where they stored onions, potatoes, and such from their garden. The cellar was basically a hole in the ground that was big enough for an adult to stand up in. It had a door, and the only sign of it from 10 feet away was a very small mound on top of the ground. It was pitch dark inside. Someone could go in there, and it would be hard to find them unless you knew what you were looking for. There could be abandoned root cellars in the Luling area.

I have always felt that JL may have run into some unsavory drug/meth manufacturing and distribution characters - either after he turned off waze, turned on snap, and before the crash - OR - after he left the crash site on foot (and as @JimWest suggested ) perhaps walked 3 plus miles in that hellish landscape in a direction away from the accident

<modsnip>

I cannot believe that in reading the entire JL thread there’s been no mention of nearby meth lab busts (or related suspect arrests, questioning and searches for Jason in the areas of those labs. Some are likely within 5-20 miles of where JL’s car was found. Wouldn’t such locations be a good place to look for Jason at this time? Jmo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always felt that JL may have run into some unsavory drug/meth manufacturing and distribution characters - either after he turned off waze, turned on snap, and before the crash - OR - after he left the crash site on foot (and as @JimWest suggested ) perhaps walked 3 plus miles in that hellish landscape in a direction away from the accident

<modsnip>

I cannot believe that in reading the entire JL thread there’s been no mention of nearby meth lab busts (or related suspect arrests, questioning and searches for Jason in the areas of those labs. Some are likely within 5-20 miles of where JL’s car was found. Wouldn’t such locations be a good place to look for Jason at this time? Jmo.
Oh we’ve definitely discussed the young firefighter who was killed and nearby drug activity. Not only are there meth labs, there is cartel activity in the area, and there have been quite a few busts. The abandoned houses on that road have been checked, and I’m sure any suspicious houses in the whole area would have been looked at. I just don’t think those meth houses still exist since they have been busted. But there are probably other ones in different places for sure. Some people have mentioned meth tends to come from Mexico now instead of being manufactured here, but I know there are both. It’s not a stretch IMO that he could have run into some sketchy people in this part of Texas, but it doesn’t seem like they been able to find any evidence of that.

Do you see “reply” in the bottom right corner of any posts? Not sure if you have to be a member awhile before that option appears...did not think so. If you can see it, use that on any post you wish to comment on so that it appears as well as your own words, on your post.
Welcome to WS...
Thank you for your note!

<modsnip>

got a link? I would love to see which ones you are referring to. If you are mentioning the related cartel and texas syndicate arrests, they have been mentioned. TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member