NC - McKenzie Sessoms, 11, murdered, Salemburg, 6 Sept 2013 *suspect in custody*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I haven't seen a thing since Feb. 2018 -- which was posted here at that time.

Nothing has been updated as far as I can find tonight. Below is an article dated 2017 -- as we know, he's back in the Sampson County, NC, jail due to nonpayment of his house arrest dues, in violation of a court order. There was a more recent 2018 MSM article, but I did not see it when I checked Google just now.
Nothing about him WRT trial date, etc., on the Sampson County District or Superior Court dockets -- I just checked. Zip.
Justice is denied this little girl and her family so far, other than the same suspect in custody.
The article below is the now most recent one I could find, and it's dated 2017.

Suspect in McKenzie Sessoms’ murder back in custody

November 5, 2017
A teenager charged in the 2013 murder and rape of a Salemburg Elementary School fifth-grader is back in the Sampson County Detention Center after reportedly violating the conditions of his house arrest in another county.

Antonio Trey Jones, 18, was placed behind bars under $100,000 secured bond. Sampson County Sheriff’s officials said Jones was taken into custody Friday due to nonpayment of his house arrest dues, in violation of a court order. He remained in the Sampson County Detention Center on Sunday evening.

“He’s 18, but his mom’s been paying them,” said Sheriff’s Lt. Marcus Smith of the fees, collected through a third party. “They were in arrears for several months.”

Jones stands charged in the murder of McKenzie Sessoms, 11, found dead on Sept. 6, 2013 in her Hairr Lane home near Salemburg, where she was reportedly living with her father and two adult brothers. Eight months later, the Sampson County Sheriff’s Office arrested Jones, who was 14 at the time. Jones was staying in Salemburg at the time with his father and grandfather, next door to the Sessoms’ residence.
Suspect in McKenzie Sessoms’ murder back in custody | Sampson Independent

Last edited:
Good grab, @Boodles, and HiYa! ;) :D
Stupidity never ends, does it?
And neither does just plain meanness.
This child, and the People of the State of North Carolina deserve justice. Now.
SMH

Poor McKenzie, this case has been nothing but a circus from the time she was discovered dead in her family's home. Perp was a minor I'm going to guess that is what the hush hush stuff is. Sad sad sad Thanks for checking up on him MOO

Given the lack of moving forward, im not convinced they have the right person. Idk. If they have his dna in her thats a slam dunk.

No one at the party noticed him go inside? And then leave?

Something is not right.

Last edited:
Updated with video Seven years after Sampson girl's death, charges dropped against lone suspect :: WRAL.com
There is no one else linked to this case.
My opinion is they did not have enough or adequate DNA to link him and the confession was tossed because of no Miranda rights.
You do not keep someone on house arrest for 7 years unless you strongly think he is guilty.
This will not be the last time we hear about him imo.
That's a scary thought! But if they can't get a conviction he would walk anyway. At least this way if something comes to light in the future, they could take it to trial.
Seems far fetched, but in some of these cold cases thirty years later they nab the original suspect.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MapleMarauder
Back