Still Missing UK - Bernadette Walker, 17, left parent's car, Peterborough, 21 July 2020 *Arrests* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been following the thread as a "lurker" for a while now and been disappointed like others at the lack of momentum in reporting court proceedings.
I had to pop up tonight to say thanks for the really excellent reporting from @helenvic definitely the fullest picture of a days evidence i have seen for the case so far.....bravo

@helenvic Thanks for that mammoth scoop from our exclusive WS Reporter :)

Hmmm I'm pondering the comparison between 'no comment' interviews and now this presentation ... which one is the real Scott?

I'm imaging him coming to court tomorrow and blowing the lid ... announcing that he did kill B but it was all Sarah's idea and he only did it because he'd do literally anything for her and he did what she told him to do ...

I think a good prosecution can trip you up & tie you in knots but, only IF your lying.
The truth is the truth, nothing more, nothing less ... you have to be intelligent and have an excellent memory to be a 'good' liar ...

I remember reading somewhere that it is permitted to take notes in court. But I can't find that reference now! In any case, I was not at any point told today that I couldn't take notes or share them.

So ... today in court was a continuation of ScW being cross-examined by the prosecution. I now understand why so little new information is being reported. Today only one point was brought up that I hadn't already read about. Otherwise, it was all the same information (about phones and messages and locations and social media, etc.) over and over again. The hearing was all about how ScW responded to the same old information under cross-examination.
The one new piece of information might not have been reported because it might involve a minor (whom I won't name). The prosecutor asked ScW whether the purpose of the trip out to Cowbit was because BW had a friend who lived in the Spalding area and they wanted to make it look like BW had run off to stay with that friend. ScW denied this.

SESSION 1: 10:05am - 11:13am

ScW was led into the court. He was limping in a pronounced manner. One might wonder whether it was exaggerated or entirely put on? His manner on the stand seemed gentle and compliant.

The prosecutor suggested to ScW that he knew full well the power of phone data in a police investigation and that he had deliberately set up a false trail. ScW was struggling to answer the question, claiming he knew little before the investigation, but knows more now.

He was asked if he drove Bernadette from her grandparents' house out of Peterborough to kill her. He kept saying “No.” The prosecutor said that 1 hour and 20 minutes is a long time for his phone to be switched off--long enough to drive out to the Fens and back.

The jurors and ScW were shown onscreen maps of the route ScW was driving according to available phone data timings. He had to admit that this showed that he drove to the Fens. The prosecutor said, “Do you understand, Mr. Walker, that you have never said this before?”

ScW then claimed that he drove out to the Fens with BW and ended up at Skaters Way (where she allegedly jumped out). The prosecutor said, “Mr. Walker, this telephone evidence shows completely--completely--that you were not on Skaters Way.”

ScW turned his phone back on at 12:54pm--some time after he claimed that BW had jumped out of the car. The prosecutor asked whether it had not occurred to him beforehand to ring BW's mother and let her know that her daughter had run off. ScW admitted that it hadn’t occurred to him.

ScW said that he could have been doing anything in that hour and 20 minutes. ... The prosecutor replied, “Exactly so, Mr. Walker. Exactly so.”

When asked about the buying of top-up for BW's phone, ScW admitted to buying time by sending messages as BW so that the police and the social services wouldn’t be involved. The prosecutor pointed out that his sending false messages from BW's phone wouldn’t stop her from making allegations of sexual abuse. She suggested that the purpose had been to give him time to work out what he was going to do with her body and to work out his explanation.

ScW said he went along with SaW’s false text messaging, but he didn’t plan it.

After much questioning about the laying of a false trail via text messages from BW's phone, ScW lost his composure a little, telling the prosecutor, “You’re huffing and puffing ...” He was becoming visibly stressed. So, the judge called a break 11:13am.

SESSION 2: 11:45am - 12:43pm

The prosecutor said, “Bernadette’s phone was a very, very useful tool, wasn’t it?”
“Not useful to me, no.” ScW added that SaW knew what to do with the phone; he wouldn’t have known where to start.

Becoming stressed again, ScW said to the prosecutor, “I’ve had it all my life that everyone thinks I’m stupid. And you’re making those faces at me.”
The prosecutor replied that she was just patiently asking him questions.

Becoming flustered:
“Did you leave Bernadette’s phone at the lock-up?”
“I don’t know.”
“You don’t know?”
“You’re the one with all the tech data.”

Re. the late night /early morning (Monday 20 July) trip to Cowbit, the prosecutor suggested they turned off their phones to conceal their trip. ScW said they turned them off to charge them (even though only one could be charged at a time). He added that if they were trying to make it look like they weren’t on that trip, they wouldn’t have taken their phones at all.

This was where the prosecutor said that they were trying to make it look like BW had run off to stay with her friend in the Spalding area.

The prosecutor was suggesting that this trip was to get rid of BW's phone. She further suggested that SaW happened to have the idea that as they were out that way anyway, why don’t they send some messages from BW's phone? ... ScW agreed this was the case--to which the prosecutor replied, “Are you making this up as you go along, Mr. Walker?”

The prosecutor said the messaging around Cowbit was to try and push away the people who loved and cared about BW (her supposedly telling friends to ‘leave me alone') before they discarded BW's phone. ScW claimed he wasn't in control of the phone; that this was all SaW. ScW claimed he didn’t recall where the phone went missing. And he never asked SaW about it? “No.”

“Mr. Walker, the most cunning use of your phone [...] was the night you dealt with Bernadette’s body.”

This exchange sounded like a proper slip-up:
“Did you leave her where you killed her, Mr. Walker?”
“Sorry?”
“No. ... Two questions again.”

2:47am to 3am he was at the lock-up. Why? ... He said he tends to work when SaW and the kids are asleep. “My time.”
“Or did you go to get tools to bury Bernadette’s body?”
“No.”
“And then you drove to Uldale way.” The prosecutor pointed out that it's a residential area, with nothing at all but houses, on the edge of town. “Why were you in a residential housing estate at 3 o’clock in the morning?”
ScW answered that there was no specific reason. He'd looked at the racing pages in the newspaper and then fallen asleep.

The prosecutor asked ScW whether he knew, when SaW was reporting BW missing, that SaW was going to tell the police about messages they’d supposedly received from BW, indicating that she was alive and well. She had to ask him this question three times. ScW said he was lost, that the question was too long. After the judge repeated the question, ScW admitted that he had known after the event that SaW had lied to the police.

At this point, ScW said that this prosecution process is a lie, that he needs to speak to his legal team. He asked how it would look if he left the stand. The judge told him that we should take a break now. ScW was repeating that he needed advice. The judge was repeating that he cannot talk to anyone in the middle of giving evidence. ScW said he didn’t know who to turn to.

The judge ended the session early, 12:43pm. Scott sat down, looking nervous and stressed.

SESSION 3: 2:05pm - 2:26pm

ScW was crying in the stand. He said he was OK to continue. The judge disagreed. She told him to sit down. He was crying, shaking, muttering, and incoherently trying to say that he had remembered things to help his defence. One of the lawyers said that ScW was clearly close to an emotional breakdown and needed to be taken back to the dock.

I have to say, the breakdown looked completely genuine to me--especially after he had made such a poor job of defending himself.

After ScW was led out, the judge asked the prosecutor whether she would be able to finish tomorrow. She assured the judge that she would, “even if I have to cut out swathes.” This comment suggested to me that the prosecutor thought that ScW had done a good enough job of incriminating himself, so she wouldn't need to use all her material.

I just have one question.... After seeing him today, do you believe he's guilty and he is as sarah has painted him out to be? Well I guess 2 questions lol.

But then he's gonna needlessly take Sarah down with him.
If he's going down, he may as well be a matyre and say it was all him, In hope that he will be thanked, with Sarah then somehow owing her freedom to him.

Hmmm I'm pondering the comparison between 'no comment' interviews and now this presentation ... which one is the real Scott?

I'm imaging him coming to court tomorrow and blowing the lid ... announcing that he did kill B but it was all Sarah's idea and he only did it because he'd do literally anything for her and he did what she told him to do ...

I think a good prosecution can trip you up & tie you in knots but, only IF your lying.
The truth is the truth, nothing more, nothing less ... you have to be intelligent and have an excellent memory to be a 'good' liar ...

But then he's gonna needlessly take Sarah down with him.
If he's going down, he may as well be a matyre and say it was all him, In hope that he will be thanked, with Sarah then somehow owing her freedom to him.

"Needlessly" ? ... I did say above I was imagining not theorising but if it were the case then him telling the truth can ONLY be a good thing, the best thing in my personal opinion and if Sarah gets what she deserves then ... so what?

If any of that is anything like the truth then Scott will already know that Sarah doesn't give two hoots about him so he'll be less inclined to want to play the hero ... in fact the most heroic thing he could do is to tell the truth and let Bernadettes siblings grieve with some dignity.

I remember reading somewhere that it is permitted to take notes in court. But I can't find that reference now! In any case, I was not at any point told today that I couldn't take notes or share them.

So ... today in court was a continuation of ScW being cross-examined by the prosecution. I now understand why so little new information is being reported. Today only one point was brought up that I hadn't already read about. Otherwise, it was all the same information (about phones and messages and locations and social media, etc.) over and over again. The hearing was all about how ScW responded to the same old information under cross-examination.
The one new piece of information might not have been reported because it might involve a minor (whom I won't name). The prosecutor asked ScW whether the purpose of the trip out to Cowbit was because BW had a friend who lived in the Spalding area and they wanted to make it look like BW had run off to stay with that friend. ScW denied this.

ScW was led into the court. He was limping in a pronounced manner. One might wonder whether it was exaggerated or entirely put on? His manner on the stand seemed gentle and compliant.

The prosecutor suggested to ScW that he knew full well the power of phone data in a police investigation and that he had deliberately set up a false trail. ScW was struggling to answer the question, claiming he knew little before the investigation, but knows more now.

He was asked if he drove Bernadette from her grandparents' house out of Peterborough to kill her. He kept saying “No.” The prosecutor said that 1 hour and 20 minutes is a long time for his phone to be switched off--long enough to drive out to the Fens and back.

The jurors and ScW were shown onscreen maps of the route ScW was driving according to available phone data timings. He had to admit that this showed that he drove to the Fens. The prosecutor said, “Do you understand, Mr. Walker, that you have never said this before?”

ScW then claimed that he drove out to the Fens with BW and ended up at Skaters Way (where she allegedly jumped out). The prosecutor said, “Mr. Walker, this telephone evidence shows completely--completely--that you were not on Skaters Way.”

ScW turned his phone back on at 12:54pm--some time after he claimed that BW had jumped out of the car. The prosecutor asked whether it had not occurred to him beforehand to ring BW's mother and let her know that her daughter had run off. ScW admitted that it hadn’t occurred to him.

ScW said that he could have been doing anything in that hour and 20 minutes. ... The prosecutor replied, “Exactly so, Mr. Walker. Exactly so.”

When asked about the buying of top-up for BW's phone, ScW admitted to buying time by sending messages as BW so that the police and the social services wouldn’t be involved. The prosecutor pointed out that his sending false messages from BW's phone wouldn’t stop her from making allegations of sexual abuse. She suggested that the purpose had been to give him time to work out what he was going to do with her body and to work out his explanation.

After much questioning about the laying of a false trail via text messages from BW's phone, ScW lost his composure a little, telling the prosecutor, “You’re huffing and puffing ...” He was becoming visibly stressed. So, the judge called a break 11:13am.

The prosecutor said, “Bernadette’s phone was a very, very useful tool, wasn’t it?”
“Not useful to me, no.” ScW added that SaW knew what to do with the phone; he wouldn’t have known where to start.

Becoming stressed again, ScW said to the prosecutor, “I’ve had it all my life that everyone thinks I’m stupid. And you’re making those faces at me.”

Becoming flustered:
“I don’t know.”
“You don’t know?”

Re. the late night /early morning (Monday 20 July) trip to Cowbit, the prosecutor suggested they turned off their phones to conceal their trip. ScW said they turned them off to charge them (even though only one could be charged at a time). He added that if they were trying to make it look like they weren’t on that trip, they wouldn’t have taken their phones at all.

This was where the prosecutor said that they were trying to make it look like BW had run off to stay with her friend in the Spalding area.

The prosecutor was suggesting that this trip was to get rid of BW's phone. She further suggested that SaW happened to have the idea that as they were out that way anyway, why don’t they send some messages from BW's phone? ... ScW agreed this was the case--to which the prosecutor replied, “Are you making this up as you go along, Mr. Walker?”

The prosecutor said the messaging around Cowbit was to try and push away the people who loved and cared about BW (her supposedly telling friends to ‘leave me alone') before they discarded BW's phone. ScW claimed he wasn't in control of the phone; that this was all SaW. ScW claimed he didn’t recall where the phone went missing. And he never asked SaW about it? “No.”

“Mr. Walker, the most cunning use of your phone [...] was the night you dealt with Bernadette’s body.”

“Sorry?”

2:47am to 3am he was at the lock-up. Why? ... He said he tends to work when SaW and the kids are asleep. “My time.”
“No.”
“And then you drove to Uldale way.” The prosecutor pointed out that it's a residential area, with nothing at all but houses, on the edge of town. “Why were you in a residential housing estate at 3 o’clock in the morning?”
ScW answered that there was no specific reason. He'd looked at the racing pages in the newspaper and then fallen asleep.

The prosecutor asked ScW whether he knew, when SaW was reporting BW missing, that SaW was going to tell the police about messages they’d supposedly received from BW, indicating that she was alive and well. She had to ask him this question three times. ScW said he was lost, that the question was too long. After the judge repeated the question, ScW admitted that he had known after the event that SaW had lied to the police.

At this point, ScW said that this prosecution process is a lie, that he needs to speak to his legal team. He asked how it would look if he left the stand. The judge told him that we should take a break now. ScW was repeating that he needed advice. The judge was repeating that he cannot talk to anyone in the middle of giving evidence. ScW said he didn’t know who to turn to.

The judge ended the session early, 12:43pm. Scott sat down, looking nervous and stressed.

ScW was crying in the stand. He said he was OK to continue. The judge disagreed. She told him to sit down. He was crying, shaking, muttering, and incoherently trying to say that he had remembered things to help his defence. One of the lawyers said that ScW was clearly close to an emotional breakdown and needed to be taken back to the dock.

I have to say, the breakdown looked completely genuine to me--especially after he had made such a poor job of defending himself.

After ScW was led out, the judge asked the prosecutor whether she would be able to finish tomorrow. She assured the judge that she would, “even if I have to cut out swathes.” This comment suggested to me that the prosecutor thought that ScW had done a good enough job of incriminating himself, so she wouldn't need to use all her material.

Excellent reporting! Thank you. You need a court reporting job on a paper!

The prosecutor pointed out that it's a residential area, with nothing at all but houses, on the edge of town. “Why were you in a residential housing estate at 3 o’clock in the morning?”

Don't buy that for one minute.

Becoming flustered:
“I don’t know.”
“You don’t know?”

“Sorry?”

“No.”

Wow its a shame you can't be there every day. You have given a lot more information than the press have. Thank you for going.
Wish I could go because I'm only about 20 min from Cambridge but I'm not going to be able to.

Last edited:
So the prosecution have phone data that proves ScW drove BW out to the Fens after picking her up from the grandparents. Do we know any more about that? Miles, direction, location? There was a map shown to the court of a route. Where did it indicate he went? How did they have the data if his phone was switched off?

So many questions fall out of this new information.

I'm now thinking he left BW's body where he killed her and returned to bury her in the early hours of the 19th so that she's 'not out in the open'.

Last edited:
Excellent reporting! Thank you. You need a court reporting job on a paper!

The prosecutor pointed out that it's a residential area, with nothing at all but houses, on the edge of town. “Why were you in a residential housing estate at 3 o’clock in the morning?”

Don't buy that for one minute.

They do like to sleep in the car in the middle of the night lol

Thank you helenvic- so grateful for this report, it’s a great write up . Really appreciate that you had a very long day - hopefully you get a bit of a lie in!!

what comes across to me is that he wants to present as ‘calm and compliant’. This comes across on his fb too. Calm, loving, attentive, family focussed … but in the police interviews, he wasn’t compliant. He gave them nothing. Not one thing.
In the cross examination when he is under pressure not only to present the way he wants to be seen, but to remember his lies, defend himself, protect sW, and follow a complicated (for him) line of enquiry - he just can’t keep all those plates spinning! He can’t control people’s perception of him. They are likely to see the truth, and he doesn’t want that!

It must have been sad to see - nobody likes to witness a breakdown. Hope you have an easy day today helenvic x

Last edited:

Becoming flustered:
“I don’t know.”
“You don’t know?”

“Sorry?”

“No.”

wow! And no coverage of this in any media? The judge saved him there as it appears he was about to change his entire story on the stand. Wtf? Let him speak and you would have had a second story and version of events yesterday.

also some great new bits of info. So on the Sunday he went to the fens and they can prove it. That changes everything. I was told he hadn’t made that trip in 18 months previously when he was flagged by the camera.

this would explain everything to why there’s no evidence in the car or lockup…she was gone by then. He never had her in the lockup or the footwell of the car.

so…how was her bag at the lockup then.

this guy is doomed. I knew he was more lucky than smart.

that’s the problem for prosecutors if you are telling the truth, it makes sense and isn’t confused ramblings. It looks like this guy was torn to shreds in minutes….and he has another day of it to come!

After seeing him today, do you believe he's guilty and he is as sarah has painted him out to be?

Looking at him straight ahead of me, trying to imagine him killing in cold blood a step-daughter he'll have known since she was around 3 years old (?), I found it impossible to believe. How could anyone possibly do that? However, his story wasn't straight, his explanations were ridiculous, he was stumbling over his words. He made slip-ups. He sounded guilty. ... Re. SaW's painting of him, his gentleness felt exaggerated. So, perhaps there was violence there. Hard to say.

Looking at him straight ahead of me, trying to imagine him killing in cold blood a step-daughter he'll have known since she was around 3 years old (?), I found it impossible to believe. How could anyone possibly do that? However, his story wasn't straight, his explanations were ridiculous, he was stumbling over his words. He made slip-ups. He sounded guilty. ... Re. SaW's painting of him, his gentleness felt exaggerated. So, perhaps there was violence there. Hard to say.

the thing is he is likely to turn himself into some kind of martyr who did it to protect SW and the other children. He likely won’t be able to admit what he really is, especially not to himself.

MOO

Last edited:
So the prosecution have phone data that proves ScW drove BW out to the Fens after picking her up from the grandparents. Do we know any more about that? Miles, direction, location? There was a map shown to the court of a route. Where did it indicate he went? How did they have the data if his phone was switched off?

The jurors, lawyers, and ScW had the map in front of them on a screen, marked with phone data, etc. I couldn't see it. I don't think it was a route, but rather places where his phone was located. I think he might have turned his phone off when he got to the Fens?

Thank you @helenvic for taking the time to go and for such a detailed report it has really helped paint a picture of the atmosphere in the court room.

He sounds like a 'man on the edge'....wait...haven't we heard that before? Oh yes, when he was first interviewed by police when BW was finally reported missing...seems like a pattern of behaviour when faced with questions he doesn't want to answer! o_O

All my opinion of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member