TX - Hailey Dunn, 13, murdered, Scurry County, Dec 2010 *Arrest in 2021, released in 2023* #4

Can anyone link me to the story/article? All I can find is the news video.
There is no article, just the video. I'm not familiar with Texas law, here's a recap of the video-
  • KCBD has traveled to Colorado City three times since Shawn was arrested, seeking a copy of the arrest warrant.
  • Michell County Attorney (MCA) gave the reporter a letter written to the Texas Attorney General's office (TAG) stating why they shouldn't have to release the document.
  • KCBD states warrants once executed are public documents and must be available for inspection during normal business hours.
  • MCA states the document is protected under the public information act because it involves a minor victim.
  • KCBD says the MCA's office is passing the buck to the TAG's office.
Sterling Burleson, Mitchell County Attorney stated in response to the reporters request for a redacted copy - "anything we don't release, we have to inform the Attorney General's office. So we would send that to the Attorney General's office and send ya'll a copy of everything we send.

The reporter asks him when this will be sent to the Attoney General's office - "within that 10 day business rule definitely.

KCBD filed a open records request Thursday (6/24) and will have to wait ten business days to potentially see the document. KCBD will update the story and progress next week.

Wow, really confusing news video to follow. Hopefully they post a new article which cites the legal codes they reference and the role of the TAG in this matter.
Of course more swirling crap and buck passing in Hailey's case. What's new?!!

There is no article, just the video. I'm not familiar with Texas law, here's a recap of the video-
  • KCBD has traveled to Colorado City three times since Shawn was arrested, seeking a copy of the arrest warrant.
  • Michell County Attorney (MCA) gave the reporter a letter written to the Texas Attorney General's office (TAG) stating why they shouldn't have to release the document.
  • KCBD states warrants once executed are public documents and must be available for inspection during normal business hours.
  • MCA states the document is protected under the public information act because it involves a minor victim.
  • KCBD says the MCA's office is passing the buck to the TAG's office.
Sterling Burleson, Mitchell County Attorney stated in response to the reporters request for a redacted copy - "anything we don't release, we have to inform the Attorney General's office. So we would send that to the Attorney General's office and send ya'll a copy of everything we send.

The reporter asks him when this will be sent to the Attoney General's office - "within that 10 day business rule definitely.

KCBD filed a open records request Thursday (6/24) and will have to wait ten business days to potentially see the document. KCBD will update the story and progress next week.

Wow, really confusing news video to follow. Hopefully they post a new article which cites the legal codes they reference and the role of the TAG in this matter.
Of course more swirling crap and buck passing in Hailey's case. What's new?!!
The article is out now. New vid also.

Quote: The letter includes a more detailed explanation than provided during the in-person visit, citing both Section 552.101 of the Texas Government Code and Family Code 261. 201.

The letter claims the “Responsive Information” contains reports “of alleged or suspected abuse or neglect” and “extreme physical harm and murder committed to a child” and therefore “must be withheld.”

INVESTIGATES: Arrest warrant withheld in Hailey Dunn case

According to the man that found the remains , he recognized it possibly being Hailey because of the description of the clothes she was last seen in. Blue Sweat pants is what was found with her remains . Could they have possibly pulled semen DNA off those pants ?
I guess they could but argumentatively those could have been his sweat pants and Hailey could have just tossed them on cuz she found them laying around. It seems shaky to base a murder case on... But the more people willing to convict the better the odds for that sort of evidence. He has already been convicted by the public so I guess they might think they could run with that..it seems very controversial on a moral level but maybe because people believe he is guilty so strongly it wont matter about all the reasonable doubt that swirls this case.

Assuming that the 'child' in question was Hailey, this seems like a fairly absurd interpretation of the rules since she is dead and her death is well known along with many of the facts surrounding the investigation. So who are they trying to protect? Certainly not Hailey.
I agree 100%. However, if the reason is related to this still being an open and active investigation, along with the potential for additional arrests and charges - that makes perfect sense.

From the link provided by @Truth Prevails -

Clint Dunn’s private investigator, Erica Morse, released this statement to KCBD in regards to our investigation on his behalf:

“Hailey’s case has been highly publicized from the start and continued to receive attention over the last decade as efforts to arrest her killer(s) intensified. Her father wants Shawn Adkins to receive a fair trial by a jury of his peers, and for any other persons involved before, during or after to also be held accountable. As a fellow journalist, I commend KCBD for pursuing the arrest warrant and affidavits to ensure transparency and the public’s right to know. We must, however, trust that the individuals presenting this case are protecting the rights of all involved or affected. It is our understanding this is an ongoing investigation; we have received - and turned over - new information to officials since Adkins’ arrest that may or may not have merit, and still want every stone unturned. Hailey’s father has relied upon the media for many years to help him get to the bottom of the truth yet understands officials cannot compromise the case by divulging too much at this time.

Learning the AG’s office has been asked to weigh in on the matter should indicate the gravity of this case and reassure the public that all efforts are being made to uncover the entire truth about who killed Hailey Dunn and who knew what over the last decade.”

So now it comes down to protecting the trial.

Unfortunately or fortunately, people have known all along that Adkins killed Hailey. I predict COV.
But to where? At least now he will go to prison. I hope for life, but nothing is guaranteed.

I hate to look at his face. How many girls has he stalked, molested, raped...

Has there been an arraignment yet? Does Shawn have an attorney?
Well, I can find a couple of articles that state "jail records do not list an attorney for Adkins". Below is the link for one of them:
Texas Rangers Arrest Suspect Shawn Adkins For Murder Of Teenager Hailey Dunn In 2013

Following is my attempt to show a timeline for the recent events:

Quote: [Prior to the 13th] A search warrant was obtained to collect Adkins’ DNA. After samples were collected on June 13, an arrest warrant was obtained [on June 14th] and Adkins was arrested and taken to the Howard County Jail in Big Spring.
Texas Rangers say DNA samples led to arrest in Hailey Dunn murder case

Quote: A jailer at the Howard County Jail on Monday afternoon [June 14th] confirmed that Adkins had been arrested on a charge of her murder and had been jailed there.

Bond was set at $2 million, the jailer said.

Early Monday evening, Adkins had been released to another agency, according to the Howard County Jail website. On Tuesday morning, [June 15th] he was housed at the Mitchell County Jail.

Adkins was arrested by the Texas Rangers on a warrant issued out of Nolan County, according to a post Monday night on the Howard County Jail Facebook page.

Shawn Adkins arrested, jailed in connection with Hailey Dunn murder

Quote: No court date in Howard County has been set.

Though the jail records do not provide specifics, jail staffers told the Abilene Reporter News that Adkins is being charged with murdering Dunn.

Mother's Live-in Boyfriend Arrested for Alleged 2010 Murder of Eighth-Grade Texas Cheerleader

It seems like they wanted him safely behind bars before anyone knew what was going on. That must be why the media is going hard after their public right to view the arrest warrant.

Is it me or is it weird to rejoice at the arrest of the murderer you brought into the house and lied for? The one that creeped your daughter out so much that she slept on the sofa instead of her room? Seems one would not celebrate, but rather crumble with guilt.

Daddy could never give up getting justice for his baby girl. Good man. A true daddy.

The most significant statement from the PI is that "he (SA) couldn't have gotten away with this for this long without help".

Well, start with BJ. Lying and redecorating.

What other "help" did he get?

Is it me or is it weird to rejoice at the arrest of the murderer you brought into the house and lied for? The one that creeped your daughter out so much that she slept on the sofa instead of her room? Seems one would not celebrate, but rather crumble with guilt.

Daddy could never give up getting justice for his baby girl. Good man. A true daddy.

The most significant statement from the PI is that "he (SA) couldn't have gotten away with this for this long without help".

The P.I.? Who is that?

Great post, all true!!

Does anyone know when SA will appear before a judge for arraignment? Seems like he would have to be in court at some point, but haven't heard anything and can't find anything online?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back