Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #68 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
data=1k242hhxIerZmLAMSOuZ67Qf-hFS-8BxiE4onNCcYj5PqTJPasR-jyuWkUlgHXhaHnbPNqbqwk61TBszFkTg3Af2bCID-fs5swUqOxc1baZM0Uo_UApyzTZjlmaQ4tOXoJKX0CTf-nTUzhdwnsjT-9S9HFS69h2sYG50fIs-BcP-8m4elGwo5glW-EZGURAQOugaHw,em2d_TdbwYoOOGzxE0lA32QVlsa4zSckotm9L5F69G-Mxeiw9KPkGLWr8AZfyqu3_bLARwWHLYbV_vPxP4mx_vQdIkgcQEdl0E7OqeOnFsaRBEF-HMNV7sfjZBWCmb5k8IaCVDVssdwfw3PemvyYjh_yJTYFIgixiLopQejmnVd1cViMibgBumYaE9-gliMNg7Cbgze0W0WM9P-69C_u8gWjwb0Eo59NK1ZDPvl0JsOFCS-DSaCCTYLeQvV2j7ToETBlzw_rfeST1AEpCOzBlmi999KiBJBUPh0buN3TyKSxMC_lwJQG01TQsu8hnu7DnIwMc71gOM1hbDV3pUmuwwZ-WpWqztgUD_opB4sPaJsiOWJXHn8E3W4Ngfh5W3DUN7z-UhvUan-_jVNrAbzhybsPLRyZ

The distance between PP and PS is about 7 miles and Salida is right between the two. Yes, PS is at the interchange taking you to Denver Metro (i.e., Broomfield).

distance Maysville, Co to Poncha Springs, CO - Google Search

I’m jumping in several pages behind, but, the above is incorrect. Poncho Springs is between Maysville and Salida.

North out of either Poncha Springs or Salida will get you to Denver.

This is true. But, I think the defense was setting the table here by elaborating so much on Jeff. They were plowing that ground to get feedback from the prosecution and the witnesses for future use. They want to know how Jeff will be used by the prosecution. They obviously will be spending alot of time on him in the trial...to diminish Suzanne's reputation...that is his value. I doubt they expect to cast suspicion on him otherwise...he has an airtight alibi, imo.

That's what is weird to me. The prosecution gave this to the defense by putting it in the AA. Otherwise, it wouldn't be an issue until trial.

Personally I think the state's attempt at a splashy AA to get great media coverage before proceedings began is backfiring because 1) it was sealed and 2) it gives the defense a chance to try their case in the preliminary hearing - which wouldn't have happened if they didn't have such a long and detailed AA!

I’m doing exactly what I get annoyed with other posters for doing.. popping into the middle of a thread asking a question that everybody knows the answer to. Took a long break, have been reading the last several threads. How was it revealed that SM was a victim of domestic violence? Can someone point me to where I can read about it or just briefly tell me about it? BM is accused of first degree murder, so I’m confused why there appears to be a group.. though small, of posters who feel more negatively toward SM than BM.

I’m doing exactly what I get annoyed with other posters for doing.. popping into the middle of a thread asking a question that everybody knows the answer to. Took a long break, have been reading the last several threads. How was it revealed that SM was a victim of domestic violence? Can someone point me to where I can read about it or just briefly tell me about it? BM is accused of first degree murder, so I’m confused why there appears to be a group.. though small, of posters who feel more negatively toward SM than BM.

In the hearing yesterday, an FBI agent read texts between SM and her friend SO that describe Barry threatening and attacking SM. At one point Barry put a gun to his head. Another time he pinned SM down to the bed while yelling at her. SM also described BM as unstable, said she was afraid to be alone with him, etc. It was hard to read.

In Lauren's live stream (part 2), she talks about how one night when Sheila was in Colorado, Barry had gone away hunting for the weekend. The two were hanging out one night at PP, and they noticed headlights pull in, not up to the house, but further up the driveway. They could see that someone got out of their car/truck, and the person was walking around the perimeter of the house looking in the windows, and it scared them. They called 911, and while Suzanne was on the call with dispatch, the person got back in their car/truck and pulled forward and it was Barry. He had "come home early" and didn't bother to tell her.

At 12:55:

That was quite a revelation, wasn't it? It looks like BM was spying on her all the time. He even surprised her when she went to Florida on a girls only trip; he showed up there! I wonder if that was one of the times Jeff L. was there, too. What a drag! No wonder she bought a spy pen.

Everyone, please watch Lauren's video summary above -- it has quite a bit of info, all in one place.

Last edited:
Her communications with her close friend, SO, loomed large yesterday.

We heard about Barry turning his daughters against Suzanne, a recording of Barry and Suzanne arguing over money and the clothing she could wear, and Barry pointing a gun at his own head and threatening suicide.

She was trapped, with little recourse.

It depends on the client. I have had people repeatedly lie to my face that nothing happened, the evidence was forged, they're being framed, the feds are lying, etc.

Other clients will come to you and may admit to something but they are usually interested in a plea at that point.

I can't speak for all defense attorneys but your job is really to look at the evidence from the state and ask if the evidence proves your client violated each element of the relevant law beyond a reasonable doubt. Most clients will say they didn't do it and you have to lay out the evidence for them and explain their chances. Some people want to fight and lose just to not admit to something.
Alethea, I saw a prominent criminal defense attorney years ago in an interview. He said he never asked a client if he is guilty. He didn’t want to know. He said if the client is guilty you cannot lie to the judge snd jury in his defense or you perjure yourself. So he said he went with the evidence snd fought for his client. (And he usually won. I can’t think of his name.)
I thought that was so strange. Do you think there are attorneys like that?

It appears she was messaging her friend in Indiana with the problems in her marriage - the media thread might be good to do a quick catch up - one incident involved a gunhttps://www.crimeonline.com/2021/08/09/suzanne-morphew-text-messages-show-she-wanted-to-leave-marriage-barry-morphew-put-a-gun-to-his-head-asked-her-how-she-would-pay-for-cancer-treatments-if-she-left-him-court-testimony/

Some on the thread this morning seem to think less of her because of this "affair" - based on their unedited posts IMO.

That's what is weird to me. The prosecution gave this to the defense by putting it in the AA. Otherwise, it wouldn't be an issue until trial.

Personally I think the state's attempt at a splashy AA to get great media coverage before proceedings began is backfiring because 1) it was sealed and 2) it gives the defense a chance to try their case in the preliminary hearing - which wouldn't have happened if they didn't have such a long and detailed AA!

I get lost in attorney strategy, why wouldn't the prosecution start day one with their strongest evidence against BM? Or is it the defense took over yesterday in the courtroom? I expected to see the prosecution come out swinging strong. IMO

Her communications with her close friend, SO, loomed large yesterday.

We heard about Barry turning his daughters against Suzanne, a recording of Barry and Suzanne arguing over money and the clothing she could wear, and Barry pointing a gun at his own head and threatening suicide.

She was trapped, with little recourse.
It's really what we suspected all along - the BFF would be important, he was trying to turn the girls against her - and he would use any means necessary to maintain his control over her - ultimately killing her.
IMO
ETA:

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

·
15h
TEXT MESSAGE FROM SUZANNE TO SHEILA: “I’d live in a shack right now… I’m sure he won’t make it easy. He has always wanted control.”

Last edited:
That was quite a revelation, wasn't it? It looks like BM was spying on her all the time. He even surprised her when she went to Florida to on a girls only trip; he showed up there! I wonder if that was one of the times Jeff L. was there, too. What a drag! No wonder she bought a spy pen.

Everyone, please watch Lauren's video summary above -- it has quite a bit of info, all in one place.

Do you know if SM's friends actually saw BM or did SM just tell them that BM was there?

I think I saw mentioned yesterday that there was a warrant (or some other legal document) served on LinkedIn. I personally think this was poor show by LE. All online activity should have been investigated. If that pen was never found, JL wuld not have been found either.

*edited to add my actual point (need more coffee*
I agree that all social media should be analyzed and believe that her history should have shown that she spent time on LinkedIn. I don’t believe that JL would not have been found, though. I think that Barry knew about him, even if just at the last minute. I think he knew and I think he told the girls, but it could look like motive if he says he knew before she disappeared.

*** If LE had not found JL, I think that BM would have done what he could to lean them there eventually. *** JMO

Last edited:
While I find the length and depth of the affair a little surprising, I’d say it’s not unreasonable for her to reach out to someone like JL, given her situation. Right now, without being privy to all the evidence, that little tiny seed of doubt exists that she is dead (although I find it hard to believe that she wouldn’t communicate with her daughters if that were the case)… What I would like to know, from a legal standpoint, is:

What evidence does the state have that Suzanne is in fact dead? And,

What evidence do they have that Barry did it, beyond a reasonable doubt?

That’s it.

I’m hoping to hear more regarding those things today. They must have that, since they charged him as such.

Thank you @Gardenista this is what I recalled as well. They want to disparage her reputation IMO. And so many sleuthers appear to be drinking their Kool-ade. She is the victim. period.
JMO
Exactly @oviedo, well stated.

Looking forward to hearing more about prosecution evidence today.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

There may have been a couple of “eager” WSers post that exact info yesterday by misunderstanding what was being tweeted via different reporters. There were a couple of times yesterday some conflicting information was translated in tweets
1) distance of helmet from bike
2) 2 truck doors closing
3) timing of 2:47 pm Saturday translated to 2:47 am Sunday

Those are just a few of the distinct discrepancies I can recall quickly. Moo.
I try to look at several tweets to find correct info, not easy to do when fast moving threads are posting.

Anyone….Who is the most accurate twitter account to follow? TIA
MOO

I know. That’s why late last night as I read the newspaper and tv station reporting, I was wondering why the headlines were not screaming info about two truck doors operating Saturday afternoon and then one truck door operating early Sunday morning. “It’s so similar to Gannon Stauch’s disappearance why isn’t this the headline!” I thought.

I guess the point of my post this morning was to show agreement with Rolo’s recollections. And to determine where the 2:47 pm Saturday time came from.

Back to lurking as I eagerly await today’s live prelim posts and don’t want to clog up this thread!

The evidence shows she was a DV victim. Do you question that because she had an escape fantasy? Please elaborate how this affects your analysis of the evidence.
The evidence itself.
We have no hospital records to support DV. We have no police reports that support DV. We have no testimony from anyone that witnessed DV.
We have text messages of accounts, that may or may not, be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500