Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #80 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m really thinking JC might know that BM was coming. This to me shows some planning. Maybe BM just didn’t quite have his time down and then said he needed more time. Like for example he thought it would be all done by turkey scouting but then chickened out. And then came back 2-3 hours later to do what he did.
Is this the mechanical thingy he forgot to tell LE about?

Ive had the same thoughts. Hence the noise the neighbor heard in the middle of the night. However, my opinion is that she was covered in a barrel & buried deep so scent wouldn’t be detected by wildlife (strictly MOO at the moment).

The neighbor who heard machinery was at the Salida beach site - not at Puma Path. The Puma Path neighbors are the ones Suzanne is sitting with when she sends her "I'm done" message (the Ritters) and Mrs Ritter is the one who made the 911 call. Mrs Ritter never reported anything about machinery use, backhoe or otherwise.

Hey there not @NoSI but Justin Cribari worked for DSI. This was where Barry had the bobcat blade replaced on Saturday.

So now we have a JP and a JC both associated with DSI, for those keeping track. JP is seen on Lauren Scharf's channel, in interviews (inside DSI) but I've never heard of JC until today.

The neighbor who heard machinery was at the Salida beach site - not at Puma Path. The Puma Path neighbors are the ones Suzanne is sitting with when she sends her "I'm done" message (the Ritters) and Mrs Ritter is the one who made the 911 call. Mrs Ritter never reported anything about machinery use, backhoe or otherwise.
Ahhh.
Thank you for clarifying.
And the beach site was thoroughly searched, correct?

IIRC scent tracking dogs were brought in initially not just cadaver dogs and I can't remember if there was any tracking of Suzanne's scent at the home area?

I don't remember anything said specifically about scent tracking dogs, except vaguely that Barry was asked to retrieve a clothing item of Suzanne's (and surely, they started at the place where the bike was found, as it would have little investigatory value otherwise). But nothing has ever been said about dogs finding Suzanne's scent near that bike crash...so I've always assumed none was found (and that would have been key evidence for the defense to bring - if her scent had been found; I think we'd have heard about it at the PH).

Ahhh.
Thank you for clarifying.
And the beach site was thoroughly searched, correct?

As far as we know. Search warrant issued, FBI involvement, even breaking up newly laid concrete to look at a "deformity" under the ground (LE said "nothing known to be related to Suzanne was recovered," or something like that.

I don't remember anything said specifically about scent tracking dogs, except vaguely that Barry was asked to retrieve a clothing item of Suzanne's (and surely, they started at the place where the bike was found, as it would have little investigatory value otherwise). But nothing has ever been said about dogs finding Suzanne's scent near that bike crash...so I've always assumed none was found (and that would have been key evidence for the defense to bring - if her scent had been found; I think we'd have heard about it at the PH).

As far as we know. Search warrant issued, FBI involvement, even breaking up newly laid concrete to look at a "deformity" under the ground (LE said "nothing known to be related to Suzanne was recovered," or something like that.

Thanks, I'm working on a theory. So he apparently got her out of the house and off the property without leaving her scent as we're assuming she was alive on the property. No hits that we heard of by cadaver dogs at the property but apparently no living scents found either tells me she was enclosed in something when she was removed from the area. Hmmm.

Mining Claims?
Answering myself:
https://thediggings.com/places/co0152583265/mines
Maysville, Colorado has a population of 135 (based on numbers from 2010).
Claims Summary in Maysville, Colorado ....
Salida, Colorado has a population of 5,236 (based on numbers from 2010).
c065.gif
(It seemed like a good idea at 3 A.M.)
@coastal bbm sbm for focus.
:):D Yes, it was a good idea. And down another deep rabbit hole for me. Again.:):D

Astounding # of claims are still listed as active. Seems drone photography could identify some current mining work on BLM or USFS land, some possibilities if SM's remains are at a minung site. But from what I can tell, "active" does not actually mean being currently "worked" that is, minerals currently being extracted. The claim boundarires should be marked"** if on BLM or USFS property. Not sure about on private land. my2ct.

** Re claims on BLM lands, from gov't publication by BLM. "Should the mining claim’s boundaries and discovery point be visible if I am in the area of the claim? Yes – Although there may be mining claims in which the paperwork to locate is filed but no monuments are placed on the ground, federal regulations require mining claims to have four corner post monuments and to follow state monumenting requirements. Also, a notice of monument must be posted at the discovery point using a visible monument. The discovery point or a claim corner should be tied to a wellknown, permanent object or surveyed corner near the mining claim." bbm
https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/files/documents/files/2017_Buying Mining Claim.pdf

Re: the turkey
My understanding is that:
  • MM1 supposedly shot the turkey
  • before the girls’ camping trip over the MD weekend, SM drove MM2 to Gunnison to meet MM1 as MM1 was already at school there
so if MM1 was in Gunnison before the weekend, when exactly did she shoot the turkey? If it was days or as much as a week before, wouldn’t the carcass have maggots, have been scavenged, or attracted predators? I can’t imagine the feathers would have been salvageable. If Barry was such an expert hunter, why would he leave the carcass for such a period?
moo
You sleuthers may have found the peg to hang Barry:

the turkey.

As pointed out upthread, it is a ridiculous scenario. Mm1 is having a bit of a turkey shoot behind the house, hits one and immediately waltzes off - totally oblivious to the dead or dying animal?
Imagine her being examined on the stand!

A little bit more... Will be back at it tomorrow. Not much left. Should get it done tomorrow. Please let me know if you have any questions.

This is my interpretation of what I heard. This information has been
provided for use and discussion at Websleuths only.

Day 4

Partial Morning Session
Court started at 9 AM.

We are starting with DN cross-examining Grusing.

immunity” - BM reportedly only mentioned “immunity” after watching people covering the case on YouTube. People were saying things like “Don’t talk. They will use it against you” and “Get immunity in case they wrongly convict you”, which concerned BM.

guilt” – BM was asked if he felt any guilt. He replied “Yes, guilt about only caring about hunting and money”. In regards to the evidence against him, stated “the evidence is wrong. Plainly wrong”.

March 5, 2021 – The safe was returned to BM and BM determined that there was money missing from the safe. Amount of 70k – 80k as per BM. Some of it was in a “blue bank bag” and there was also money outside the blue bank bag in a binocular box. BM stated “If the Police doesn’t have the money, she could have taken it”.

chlorine” – Regarding smell of chlorine in hotel room, BM stated “I have no idea. I have no bleach in my room”. Again, it was brought up that the indoor pool of the hotel was located below BMs room (room 225). It was highlighted that there was no evidence that BM carried bottles of anything into the room.

insurance paperwork” – JP found some insurance paperwork that belonged to BM under the pillow of his bed in room 225 that he took over after BM left for Salida.

dog hits” – No dog hits on/in F350.

BM searching for SM” – Defense stated that “significant evidence” exists that BM was searching for SM for 2-3 months after she went missing. BM reportedly searched 200 square miles with GD.

May 10, 2021 – After the affair was disclosed to BM, BM stated “I think she left”. He stated that he was “angry, but forgave her and that we are all sinners”. Verbalized that he is worried about being falsely accused and “who is gonna raise my daughter (daughters?)”

April 4, 2021 – BM told his daughters about SMs affair because “I didn’t want to keep anything from them”. BM said to daughters “this is a sin, but no worse than any sin we do every day”.

DN is finished.

Lindsey resumes with Grusing at 9:52 AM.

MaM to SM – “Do it (leaving him) without telling him”, this was likely a text message, but I am not sure.

SM to SO – “He tried to pull Macy in again”, this would have been in March 2020, MaM reportedly told BM “Leave me alone”.

Prosecution attempting to discuss “independent evidence aside form texts that there was trouble in the marriage”. Objection by Defense. Judge adds that it has been established that there were problems in the marriage and covering this again is not helpful to him.

February 28, 2021 interview – BM talks about the evidence LE has on him. He states “Your evidence doesn’t matter. It’s wrong”.

what is this evidence that was presented to BM” – It included BM being up before 4:30 AM on May 10, 2020; him explaining this by saying “if I did anything outside, it wasn’t wrong”.

BM monitoring SMs phone” – There is some evidence that BM monitored SMs phone. For example, BM took phone from SM during a vacation in Mexico so he can see who SM was talking to on Snap Chat.

I am done text…” – Trigger for suicide text by BM. BM reportedly wanted to hear “don’t hurt yourself”. But SM did not reply.

physical violence in the marriage” – He admitted that he “pushed up against her during an argument” and added “I never constricted her”.

Again, judge says that info provided so far during this re-direct is not helpful to him. Stated “It is well established that SM was not happy in her marriage, for example by looking at the list of grievances”.

BM striking SM” – BM disclosed to CBI, this was accident and described as “clipped side of nose with hand”.

DN looks very annoyed at 10:16 AM.

First looked for SMs bike after JR received call from BM (??). BM asked JR to look for the bike.

Grusing done at 10:17 AM.

Prosecution calls Deputy Hemchoot. He was onsite during the search and inspection of Puma Path.

May 13, 2020 – Inventory of gun safe was taken. Included empty tranquilizer darts and tranquilizer gun. The dart gun was itemized. It was determined by the Deputy that the dart gun had not been fired in a long time. Deputy stated “Did not appear to work. Not fired in a long time based on my assessment”.

May 19, 2020 – Back at Puma Path. Puma Path has been under LE control. The laundry room was searched. 4 LE officers participated. The inside of the dryer was photographed. Body cam video shown in court room (I could not see). Nothing of importance was found in the dryer at that time. The dryer was blue starred, swapped.

Break.
Thank you very much @NoSI for all you do!

I've been around heavy equipment my whole life. I've run my fair share of it also. You are very correct, BM's Bobcat is not a backhoe. It's a Bobcat brand skid steer. There's a backhoe attachment made for the skid steer.
Backhoe Attachment - Bobcat Company
This is a link for a picture reference of a skid steer with a backhoe attachment.
There is an actual backhoe which is more of a tractor with two types of buckets.
Backhoe Loaders | John Deere US
This link is a picture reference for a backhoe. The backhoe has a wide bucket in the front and a smaller narrow bucket in the back.
Bobcat Compact (Mini) Excavators - Bobcat Company
This is a reference for a trackhoe/excavator. I call excavators, trackhoe. The ones in pictures are considered mini.
_ref=b21natppcsssews&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1dGJBhD4ARIsANb6Odmq9SJg5jZVZT5Wn2DPWu49auPm_Y4ybTo7CPtn0MJDgZfCAnXyGqMaAn0EEALw_wcB
Now about BMs text. If I had received that text I would have immediately thought backhoe. The tractor type with the two buckets. I've never heard a machinery operator mix a skidsteer with backhoe.I think I read he was looking at getting a backhoe attachment. The attachments for a Bobcat like BMs are endless. They have too many for me to list. That's one of the best things about owning a Bobcat. You can buy the attachments you need most or rent an attachment you might need for a particular job. They are easy and fast to change. Line it up the attachment, hookup the hoses and you're ready. It takes just a few minutes. BM is a landscaper so he really can get by with the skid steer. It sounds to me like he was looking at expanding his attachments. He had forks and the blade/bucket. I could see where a backhoe attachment would be extremely useful to BM. It would reach out in streams for making water access easier from the bank. It would make planting trees easier. It can make holes where you want as deep and as wide as it can reach down and out. It can move dirt fast and efficiently. I hope this answers your inquiry and helps. Of course this is MOO. The links are for picture reference only. MOO

I think what matters here is that per the PH, BM allegedly inquired about securing a backhoe attachment, and CB ultimately replaced the bucket blade on the skid-steer (Bobcat) on May 9 around 2 pm. And that BM allegedly omitted this task from his timeline when speaking to investigators. MOO

I think what matters here is that per the PH, BM allegedly inquired about securing a backhoe attachment, and CB ultimately replaced the bucket blade on the skid-steer (Bobcat) on May 9 around 2 pm. And that BM allegedly omitted this task from his timeline when speaking to investigators. MOO
I think that perhaps rather than omitting it from his timeline, he tried to claim it was done at a time that fit his alibi but that LE knew is incorrect. Remember it was the "when" aspect that BM said he forgot, not the "mechanical thing" itself. IMO

Ive had the same thoughts. Hence the noise the neighbor heard in the middle of the night. However, my opinion is that she was covered in a barrel & buried deep so scent wouldn’t be detected by wildlife (strictly MOO at the moment).

Many moons ago there were posted photos of the garage of PP house. In it were big black barrels, maybe that held driveway salt.

That's the most-searched area, including with cadaver dogs, IIRC. It's all very rocky. He would have had to prepare something in advance, IMO (and it would be fairly obvious, unless he dumped a lot of rocks somehow on top). I don't think he could get his Bobcat across the river - this would be shovel work.

There's just not a lot of topsoil right there. At any rate, if he did bury her there, having successfully lured at least one mountain lion to Puma Path (per Andy Moorman's convo with a policeman), the body would have been dug up and scavenged by coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions - and even rodents.

I don't think he did this, because I think he deposited her body in a manner consistent with her being abducted or dragged off - close by, but not buried by anyone's shovel or Bobcat - that would leave too much evidence.

I too am really interested in what he was doing down that way. If he *did* have a hiding place for her body somewhere between his house and the campground, that might serve both his purposes (of hiding her and pointing somewhere else - early reports mention the high occupancy at the campground, the presence of vagrants, etc).

I h0pe they have drone photos of the entire area - and it would be great if the County could afford LIDAR over a broad area...
I’m just jumping off your post @10ofRods because I feel like the lay of the land may not be quite what people think it is.

Per the attached Google Maps image, the Arkansas river runs behind PP. But PP is south of the river. So what lies directly across the river from PP is the neighbors’ properties, the access road to those houses and the campground, and, of course, Route 50 itself.

I’ve also added a topo map to show just how crazy the elevation gets north and south of the river. Each heavy topo line represents 200’ of elevation change. Those slopes are steep for a bobcat or an ATV (let alone a novice mountain biker). If he took SM up, he didn’t take her up very far.

And I agree with you, I’m convinced that if SM is nearby, she’s not too far from the river and probably as close to the campground as he dared to go. And I don’t think he used the bobcat, I think he put her in a stereotypical shallow grave. If not, then I believe he took her someplace much further away.

MOO.

Edited for spelling.

BA502A04-590F-4686-A929-98E61E2B9A6B.jpeg7419ED83-B476-4B0F-B1D1-AD8B2B2F5202.jpeg

The point about the charger is a good one, but a person can simply unlock their phone and buy a new SIM and be on their way - totally incognito to all those who once knew. It's a simple matter to change one's phone number. Of course that's not what she did - but I don't think even the FBI can say that Suzanne's device has never shown up again on the planet.
except for the phones IMEI number which is the device identifying number that one enters when registering on a phone network. that number is traceable across any SIM change.

One big problem for BM is SUZANNE has not been found, alive or dead. I challenge anyone to explain—without some bizarre, convoluted story—how SUZANNE disappeared herself without ID, medical cards or records, cash (because BM can say there was 70k in the safe, but that’s probably another lie), etc., without leaving a trace.

Could any of you do that?

Two other big problems for BM are all of his lies, and his changing stories to fit new evidence as it came along. BM is nothing special. He’s a classic case of a wife annihilater who did the deed and then spun story after story after story to cover his tracks.

bbm

I don’t think we know that investigatorS (plural) did not follow up on SUZANNE’s secret bank accounts, only that Investigator Harris did not.
E&N strayegy.

They divided up the evidence, looked for areas of overlapping responsibility, then found ways to ask questions to get an "I don't know."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member