SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
A
On a newbie on these threads, and perhaps I shouldn’t offer my cow noise (MOO). However I’ve been following this case for weeks and I just skimmed Threads 3-5, so here goes:
SLED opened an investigation into the death of Stephen Smith on the basis of something
they learned investigating Paul’s murder - but they won’t say what that fact or discovery is. Smith was 19 years old when he was found dead in a road of blunt force trauma to his head. The SC Highway Patrol decided he was walking in the road at night, after his car ran out of gas around midnight. Smith’s mother has never accepted this verdict - a hit-and-run - because it doesn’t match the injuries to his body and her understanding oh his behavior. She has said repeatedly that he was murdered by several young men from prominent local families in an anti-gay hate crime, possibly because he had “a fling” with the brother of one of the murderers.
PauL was the son of a prominent local family.
If Paul’s killer was out to take revenge for the unjust death of poor Ashley, why kill his mother? I would expect a vigilante not to just kill indiscriminately, but to reserve his anger for Paul.
Let us remember that Paul faced a 25-year sentence for Ashley’s death, and 15 years each for the two boat passengers who were injured. If he was involved in, or had knowledge of, Stephen Smith’s murder, it is reasonable to believe he might be motivated to trade this information for a degree of lieniency in Ashly’s death. That would put the murderers in a state of panic,and give them a motive to kill him. Killing Paul’s mother is more the act of a frightened and ruthless person killing to protect himself, than it is the act of a justice-seeker, especially if the murderer of Paul thought he might have disclosed what he knew to his mother. In my scenario, Pail’s lawyer knew what he was offering to law enforcement, and passed it on when Paul was dead.
If this is what happened, Ashley’s death was incidental to Pail’s death. I admit that bothers me, because I want some measure of justice for her. But it seems that will never happen. At least Stephen may yet be able to speak from the grave. Furthermore, DD’s misdeeds and his faked crime against himself are just the routine misdeeds of small-town corruption. Another red Herring.
As I said, this is strictly my own cow noise, and maybe I shoul never have ventured out of the Vallow threads. But at least I have a possible explanation for SLED’s statement that Paul’s murder shed light on the Smith case, which is otherwise inexplicable. Again, cow noise.

This is good cow noise! The M family may have quite the canyon of divide in it, jmo. If I recall correctly RM was called to the scene of Stephen's "hit and run", isn't that true?

Just an fyi Mallory Beach is her name but I knew who you meant. I hope justice will be served for all of them!

To another state...for a "superficial" wound or a not "visible injury". Only thing I can think of is there were other health reasons for the heli-evac?

I am told that many people in SC (and elsewhere) have their own medivac insurance (and it's not even all that expensive).

Here's what I think: there was no spare and no jack in that car, because it didn't come standard and most people who buy a Mercedes want it that way. That in no way means that Murdaugh didn't get out to look at his tire (which was slashed with his own knife!)

His injuries were so slight as to evade documentation and he was released very quickly from the hospital, into rehab.

He called the helicopter transport (or his brother did) almost immediately after the accident. He therefore is able to cut short interactions with local LE and with SLED.

He tells LE he didn't get a good look at the shooter (but LE codes it as a handgun incident, apparently based on what he saw) but they do a composite anyway? It sounds like they did this at the scene, which would mean his injuries were slight indeed. Maybe we'll learn later that they did this at the hospital, but still, how does he get a good look at this person as they drive past? You'd think he'd be a bit more concerned about finding cover from the raining down of all those bullets.

Seems unusual that arrangements were made for a helicopter before the Sheriff's office got there. I know the Sheriff is separate from medical/ambulance but that seems mighty fast to arrange a helicopter evac. JMO.

I have seen situations similar to this where a drug deal went bad and a victim was flown to a distant hospital so that the shooter did not have local access and could come and finish the job.

If authorities were told by 911 operators that AM had been shot, they may have assumed it was potentially related to the murders of his wife and son, and they immediately planned to evacuate him to a distant hospital.

Last edited:
I want to address the speed in which an air ambulance (helicopter) was dispatched to this minor injury.

In some states (and I have not been able to verify if SC is one yet) anyone can call for an air ambulance. This saves valuable time in very rural locations - esp. in the case of farming accidents. There are also subscription services (for lack of a better term) that cover this type of transportation. Here is one that services the ZIP code for this incident: Air Ambulance - Coverage Area & Pricing - AirMedCare Network

I would be quite interested to see exactly who made the decision to summon an air ambulance for an alert, talking, seemingly unimpaired person with a minor injury. The cost of just an uncomplicated transfer in one of these is around $10k in my neck of the woods- and rescuers are well aware of it and only use it to save life or limb.

I am told that many people in SC (and elsewhere) have their own medivac insurance (and it's not even all that expensive).

Here's what I think: there was no spare and no jack in that car, because it didn't come standard and most people who buy a Mercedes want it that way. That in no way means that Murdaugh didn't get out to look at his tire which was slashed with his own knife!)/

SBM Wait, did he admit to slashing the tire??

This is good cow noise! The M family may have quite the canyon of divide in it, jmo. If I recall correctly RM was called to the scene of Stephen's "hit and run", isn't that true?

Just an fyi Mallory Beach is her name but I knew who you meant. I hope justice will be served for all of them!
Fixed the name error- thanks!

Yes, I’m just referring to all the questions we/the public have had-alibi, timeline, on and on.

It is absolutely telling! Has a photo of the sketch been posted here yet?
If neither the victim or LE is "satisfied" with how the sketch comes out, it's no use, not saying that's what happened here ... makes sense that if someone claimed to be shot but he/she wasn't it would be hard to give a description that worked for the sketch artist. Just say'n. JMO.

Edit by me: after this post someone on this thread confirmed that the sketch had be done and referred to the joke sketch -- I couldn't recall where I had read that so was cryptic in my original post (above).

What I DO recall is that neither AM no SLED was "satisfied" with how the sketch came out, which didn't surprise me since, well, you know ... IMHO

Last edited:
Respectfully snipped by me for focus.

IMO, this type of bleak assessment of one's life is a almost a clichéd prelude to a mid-life crisis and a desire to find new motivation. I would say this might be exacerbated when facing the mortality of parents and ongoing parenting issues that perhaps one hoped would have been mostly resolved by now.

AM seems to travel easily to Columbia, Charleston and Savannah. I don't think finding a paramour would be an insurmountable challenge (though I don't know if he did). The amount of money available is relative, and he had enough to impress someone if he so wished. IMHO.
Just as money can make a typically considered physically unattractive person attractive, so can power. While liquid assets available to AM may be in question, undeniably until very recently he had plenty of power.

If neither the victim or LE is "satisfied" with how the sketch comes out, it's no use, not saying that's what happened here ... makes sense that if someone claimed to be shot but he/she wasn't it would be hard to give a description that worked for the sketch artist. Just say'n. JMO.

I won’t believe any sketch unless it’s the Feds at this point.

Here's what I think: there was no spare and no jack in that car, because it didn't come standard and most people who buy a Mercedes want it that way. That in no way means that Murdaugh didn't get out to look at his tire (which was slashed with his own knife!)

His injuries were so slight as to evade documentation and he was released very quickly from the hospital, into rehab.

He called the helicopter transport (or his brother did) almost immediately after the accident. He therefore is able to cut short interactions with local LE and with SLED.

He tells LE he didn't get a good look at the shooter (but LE codes it as a handgun incident, apparently based on what he saw) but they do a composite anyway? It sounds like they did this at the scene, which would mean his injuries were slight indeed. Maybe we'll learn later that they did this at the hospital, but still, how does he get a good look at this person as they drive past? You'd think he'd be a bit more concerned about finding cover from the raining down of all those bullets.
The incident happened on Saturday and he was released Monday. There must have been other concerns to keep him and not release him on Sunday

But if they can't release that why not something about the truck?Surely he could give a description of that.

Just as money can make a typically considered physically unattractive person attractive, so can power. While liquid assets available to AM may be in question, undeniably until very recently he had plenty of power.

He’s more likely to have a nervous breakdown over losing his power than anything else. For someone like him that would be the equivalent to a drug addiction.

I want to address the speed in which an air ambulance (helicopter) was dispatched to this minor injury.

In some states (and I have not been able to verify if SC is one yet) anyone can call for an air ambulance. This saves valuable time in very rural locations - esp. in the case of farming accidents. There are also subscription services (for lack of a better term) that cover this type of transportation. Here is one that services the ZIP code for this incident: Air Ambulance - Coverage Area & Pricing - AirMedCare Network

I would be quite interested to see exactly who made the decision to summon an air ambulance for an alert, talking, seemingly unimpaired person with a minor injury. The cost of just an uncomplicated transfer in one of these is around $10k in my neck of the woods- and rescuers are well aware of it and only use it to save life or limb.

They may have a household policy that the firm pays for since he was a partner. I'm sure they have or had great benefits. jmo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members