Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lauren might need a restraining order against his sister or other family members. She shouldn't have to worry about a Morphew family member approaching her the way his sister did at the courthouse.
JMO

I'm not sure the courts are in the habit of issuing restraining orders against people with ignorant, ill-informed opinions.
If that were the case (Lord willing!) social media would shut down 20 seconds from now.

Barry's sister never threatened LS, or made any kind of potentially threatening statement that I'm aware of.
In her shock and likely dismay, she very wrongly accused LS of being the one to destroy the family (paraphrasing).

Maybe, hopefully, the way the judge today addressed the evidence against BM and his reasons for holding BM over for trial, BM's family members will begin to see that yes, it's entirely possible BM is in fact, guilty as charged.

That's a CRAZY hard truth to swallow, for any family.

So, mixed emotions... but he is going to trial. So that is great! Just could have done without that bond. I was always under the impression there is no bond with 1st degree, but obviously had that completely wrong.

BTW, while Judge Murphy outlined the case against him, BM turned white as a sheet. It hit him, i think... A little at least...

@NoSI, you were not wrong -- it's extremely rare for a Murder-1 defendant to be allowed bail. This is per Co State Constitution. The only exception is if the state fails to meet the standard for PEPG. In this case, Judge said they did not meet the standard. I attribute this partially to this being a "no-body" homicide which prevents determining the cause of death, forensic evidence, etc. MOO

BBM brings up a thought or question,

Would the items used as possible evidence be available to BM? Equipment(bobcat) / vehicles(truck) / tools or whatever? Do they hold those items over till trial or are they released once processed?
To my knowledge, they previously excluded the bobcat from having anything to do with SM missing, and I do not believe it was impounded after BM was arrested. MOO

I don't trust him as far as I could throw him. He thinks he's wicked smart. After all, it took them a year to arrest him.
He doesn't think like the rest of us. It's a game of sorts, imo. He's had months to contemplate different scenarios of what would happen today, hell he had a whole year. He seriously should've gotten house arrest with that kind of bond.
He isn't living in the same reality as the rest of us, which is why I'm not concerned.

He believed he could lie his butt off to the FBI (insane excuses, his alibi), and get away with it. Agent Grusing was able to play him like a fiddle.

Likewise, I believe he thinks he's going to get off. Heck, he thought he was walking out of court 3 weeks ago.

He'll plan for the future, bide his time, and attend his first degree murder trial.

If all goes well, Suzanne's family will get the last laugh.

I'll laugh pretty hard myself.

The AA being released is good for us. It gives us all something to read and talk about.
But we aren’t the jurors. And BM has a stellar defense team.

After today no one will convince me he might not walk free. Yes there will be a trial. Yes the DA will bring all they have. But as the judge said, will it be enough? I’m not sure.

We have been discussing this for a year. We believe one hundred percent he is guilty.

What the DA is allowed to present and able to prove is something else.

My stomach is churning for the people on which he would like to seek revenge. Must be quite a list. I hurt for them.

The best course of action is to find Suzanne.

BBM brings up a thought or question,

Would the items used as possible evidence be available to BM? Equipment(bobcat) / vehicles(truck) / tools or whatever? Do they hold those items over till trial or are they released once processed?

Anything seized as evidence is either still in custody to be entered as evidence or released back to the owner.

I'm hoping his arrogance and stupidity can't be controlled and that he does remove his ankle monitor. I would love to see his bail revoked and him dragged back to prison.

"I didn't know I couldn't."

I hope he tries to shoot it off.

So chipmunks get the last laugh.

Forgive me for snark, borne of anger. There are no winners here. Suzanne was silenced, a bright light, a big heart cut out. Barry gets the benefit of bail... while beautiful Suzanne remains lost to the world that loved and valued her.

My heart is heavy for her tonight.

JMO

To my knowledge, they previously excluded the bobcat from having anything to do with SM missing, and I do not believe it was impounded after BM was arrested. MOO
I think LE might've closed that door too quickly. There's a possibility that he'd used it a week or more (or less) before to set up a hiding place for her body. Why was he running machinery of some sort at the riverfront property late at night? That was Friday, I believe. Why did he have to fix his 'blade' or replace it or whatever on Saturday being he knew he wasn't taking it to the job/no job on Sunday? He also went shopping for something else having to do with the bobcat and went with someone to check it out? All within this tiny time frame.
He could've taken care of digging a week before. I don't think this was a spur of the moment murder.

I guess we'll find out when judge's order is available online, but
--- does it prohibit BM from leaving Chaffee County (w'out ct's permission)?
--- does it only require BM to reside in Chaffee County?
A link, anyone? TiA.
Iirc I've seen conflicting tweets.

"I didn't know I couldn't."

I hope he tries to shoot it off.

So chipmunks get the last laugh.

Forgive me for snark, borne of anger. There are no winners here. Suzanne was silenced, a bright light, a big heart cut out. Barry gets the benefit of bail... while beautiful Suzanne remains lost to the world that loved and valued her.

My heart is heavy for her tonight.

JMO
"I hope he tries to shoot it off."
You made me snort my drink! I'll have to remind myself not to sip before I read your comment. :D

LS live recap:

The State believes BM had $3M liquid assets. Judge did not agree to increase BM's cash bail beyond $500K.
Grrrr.... I knew he had a lot but $3 mil is quite impressive, Barry Boy. Wonder where he got all that dough?
Silver investments, maybe? Other less than, um, legal investments?
Guarantee Suzanne didn't know THEY had that much 'liquid assets'. Did the prosecutors not specify how they knew this?

His every move will be tracked!

I hoped and believed the same in the case of Leticia Stauch, but they didn’t track her real-time or even follow her close enough, and she successfully hid Gannon in plain sight, dumped his body, retrieved and moved his body, transported it again, and dumped him again all while being investigated for the murder. Perhaps more eyes will be on BM, but I’ve lost a bit of my optimism.

Only sheer dumb luck resulted in Gannon’s remains being found. I’m hoping we can get some sheer dumb luck in this case as well. We really need it if Suzanne is going to make it home.

I don't trust him as far as I could throw him. He thinks he's wicked smart. After all, it took them a year to arrest him.
He doesn't think like the rest of us. It's a game of sorts, imo. He's had months to contemplate different scenarios of what would happen today, hell he had a whole year. He seriously should've gotten house arrest with that kind of bond.
Yes. He can go mess around in the woods following elk, bow hunting or moving whatever to wherever.
It's just an ankle door chime that rings if he leaves the county.
And I bet it only alerts if he leaves by a vehicle road.
He probably could hike out undetected.

Wait, maybe Suzanne is actually in Gunnison County right now.
It's a only a 5 hour hike back on the
Colorado Trail (225) from their house to Gunnison County.
He has had a lot of time to finesse better locations for a clandestine grave.

Gunnison's NE border meets Chaffee County's SW border at the Southern base of Pahlone.
The two counties border is created by Continental Divide Trail.

Creepy the way he follows his oldest daughter around.

Last edited:
Lauren Scharf@LaurenScharfTV

The defense has made another affidavit with their own redactions. The judge said we will make note of this but this will not be released. The #Affidavit for #BarryMorphew will be posted by NOON on MONDAY.

3:27 PM · Sep 17, 2021·

The court has redacted information from the arrest affidavit. "I am not going to redact the affidavit further," Judge Murphy said. "The meat of this case has been disclosed. The Arrest Affidavit will be released online under cases of interest."

3:26 PM · Sep 17, 2021

NOW TO THE AFFIDAVIT: Dru Nielsen said that the AA reads like a tabloid. They wrote this affidavit to try this case in the media and try and taint a jury pool. They don't want the AA to be released.

3:17 PM · Sep 17, 2021

"It will decimate a chance for #BarryMorphew for a fair trial," Attorney Nielsen said.

3:18 PM · Sep 17, 2021·

Judge: "It is highly detailed efforts of law enforcement but there is information that would not be admissible in trial." The defense has had the opportunity to interview the witnesses before their names were released. He finds no valid reason to suppress the affidavit.

3:24 PM · Sep 17, 2021·

Even though the defense protested the release of the AA and proposed the Court release the defense's version of the AA, I'm pleased that the Court is being true to the Order to release the court redacted AA at the conclusion of the PH.

I continue to support the typical position taken in criminal courts of Colorado where the AA is not released to the public until the conclusion of the PH.

Grrrr.... I knew he had a lot but $3 mil is quite impressive, Barry Boy. Wonder where he got all that dough?
Silver investments, maybe? Other less than, um, legal investments?
Guarantee Suzanne didn't know THEY had that much 'liquid assets'. Did the prosecutors not specify how they knew this?

Next charges may be tax evasion! Uncle Sam may be interested in knowing where it comes from as well :)

So, the Defence’s issue with the AA is that it “reads like a tabloid,” and “it will decimate a chance for BM” to get a fair trial. Hmmm. This tells me we’re in for some salacious details! Midday Monday can’t come soon enough! Been many years since I’ve read a tabloid :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod