Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josh Benson on Twitter (Video)
SURVIVAL. Self-proclaimed outdoor expert, Darry Jackson, said he’s gone through survival school. He said if Brian is still in the wooded reserve, he’s probably in a world of pain. #BrianLaundrie #GabbyPetito @WFLA
9:45 AM · Sep 25, 2021·Twitter Web App

Weird aside - mosquitos don’t bite some people. My partner has never been bitten. Ever.
Me? I’ll get 100 bites in 10 seconds with repellant on.
I wonder if BL is one of those that just doesn’t attract skeeters

The pronouncement of death and the official death certificate are 2 different things. Often in cases of unattended death, you don't get the death certificate for several weeks even months pending an autopsy report.

Thank you and to all who responded to me...

My BF's daughter works at the ME as an investigator, I never discuss her job with her but I might have to ask. It's probably going to be awkward but I'm sure she's heard about this case. What you've all said in answer to my question sounds reasonable to me.

When my own brother was killed a few years ago I was able to get his death certificate at the funeral home but I didn't read it carefully. I'm still not ready to look at something like that now, so it's a moot point for me.

I don't think he planned to kill her at all. He was just a common garden variety, woman basher and this time his usual beating went too far.
I dunno -- I think she may have hit him below the belt -- in words, not actions, of course -- and he went off on her. Maybe she turned around & walked off; maybe she slapped him; or insulted his manhood. If so, "nobody treats me like that," he thinks, and he goes at her in a rage fueled by adrenaline, and it's done.

I think we’ll see more information released on Monday if they haven’t found him. They’re at the stage that they are going to need the public help to keep his face in the media and the only way to do that is release of more information. Even here on websleuths traffic to this thread has drastically slowed.
Has the FBI formally asked for the public's help in this "search" in any manner whatsoever? If so, for what have they asked?

"People are coming down on the officers here, and they didn't have that very critical piece of information," she said. "I think the dispatcher is going to be in big hot water."

Scalding.

Dispatch is not to blame here. Dispatch relayed the call correctly. It states the 911 call correctly at the top of the report. LE dropped the ball.

Is it legal to hide his client with a Federal manhunt underway?

It is tricky because you cannot participate in a crime. The crime-fraud exception to the attorney-client privilege would mean attorney-client communications were not privileged if they involved committing or covering up a crime. I think many attorneys would resign if they believed they were being involved in a crime if only to do their duty to preserve privilege.

I have only faced this a few times but when I had a client who was actively committing a fraud crime and tried to trick me into participating, I resigned on the spot and terminated our engagement. I obviously was not going to do what he asked me to do (it involved submitting forged documents) so I just explained I strongly advise him not to do it and I elected to terminate the engagement and immediately end my representation.

No client is worth getting yourself in professional trouble IMO.

Well, they all are fully aware that the credit card charges are just a way to hold him until the murder case can be built. Common practice to do it that way. At this point, BL is not concerned about his credibility. IMO
This charge gives them an opportunity to ask how he came in possession of the card, how came in possession of the van, did he have any permissions, are there any witnesses his account etc. Why did he leave with the van & card & Gabby's belongings from the camping area. This may open further investigation into dna sampling etc. The card & van use is after a criminal crime was committed. The material used is directly connected to the victim. The association opens more opportunity to understand details about the events. That is what I would expect if I was to follow a path of the objective evidence driven investigation.

Yes, that, but also, I think it's going to be hard to convict him of murder because the video of LE and the traffic stop in Moab show him to be the recipient of scratches.

I would think a defense attorney--JMOO--would make the point that GP and BL were both abusers and that this one got out of hand. BL may even say GP started it this time, and how do they prove differently?

JMOO
Not good enuff, IMO. Scratches don't match up to strangulation. Even if he's not built like a linebacker, he still had more power and less love than she did. Murder in the first, yes.
JMHO.

And yet how long as he evaded LE/FBI? A “mickey mouse camper” would’ve been caught in 48 hours IMO

Yes, if he were in the reserve? I'm betting no. Having lived in Texas all my life, I would be the 1st to say that FL swamp land is not the type of terrain you want to camp in. The bugs alone would kill you in short order, or the infection you would have after about a week. In my opinion, he was never in the reserve.

Maybe it's just small-town lawyering, where few do many.

Not uncommon to see a general practitioner on Long Island. However, this is not the kind of attorney you would hire if you suspected your child murdered someone. IMO I would expect that if it was relayed to the attorney he would have referred the family to someone else. He could have felt comfortable representing them up until a certain point especially if he was a family friend or had done work for them in the past. Important to remember he was retained before they found a body and before BL was a POI. At some point when/if BL is found there will be an attorney change. MOO

Has the FBI formally asked for the public's help in this "search" in any manner whatsoever? If so, for what have they asked?

They have asked for people to report sightings, info, tips, etc. multiple times.

They haven’t asked for “search” help. I wasn’t implying that they would. But if they want the public to stay interested (and looking out) they know they can’t let the headlines die out. They’re keenly aware that public interest is one of their strongest tools when looking for a missing fugitive.

We sometimes decide on a whim to go camping one or two days before the actual trip. We have all supplies stored together in the garage and just pack them in. Granted we are also younger than BLs parents. Camping on Labor Day is also a tradition in my state (not Florida) so this could have been planned, if it was on that actual weekend. The main difficulty is food - do I go camping in the middle of nowhere and I need to plan and bring all food? That takes time to prepare. Or do I go to Yosemite Valley with pizza vendors in the park where I always can grab a bite?

I don't know if they had a history of going camping. But the fact that they had some supplies would perhaps suggest so.

That all said, I don't think this was a regular camping trip.

I'm relying on the neighbor who was interviewed about the alleged camping trip and that the camper was new here but it's possible that the parents initially wanted to test out their new purchase and head out for a few days. That trip may have turned into something very different after BL came home though. JMO

A few thoughts, obviously all my own opinions:

1. BL presents as a narcissist. These are people who never think they're in the wrong and always think they're smarter than all the other 'sheeple'. They typically do not respond suicidally. (I've met a lot of them professionally and they will bend your ear for hours about how nothing was their fault).
  2. BL is afraid of authority. The traffic stop shows him as completely submissive to the cops and trying to plead with them to get out of trouble.
  3. I think his survival skills are marginal at best. Also, in the van life videos I've seen, Gabby does everything and he just watches. His clothing - shorts, flip flops, t-shirts - is always the opposite of technical.
  4. There was almost certainly tension in the home once Gabby went missing. It's possible he was given some kind of ultimatum by the parents (or not, obviously).
  5. I suspect the so-called 'camping trip' holds a lot of clues, which is why we've heard nothing about it from anyone. The fact that there were no sightings on the busiest camping day of the year is extremely significant to me.
  6. He didn't take wallet and phone with him when he left because these were ways he could be tracked or identified. That strongly suggests he was going on the run, not to off himself.
  7. I suspect based on all of this that he drove to the reserve, parked the car, hiked in, and then left by another route. I would be very curious what evidence the cops do or don't have about the movements of the parents' truck that night.
  8. He probably has plenty of cash on him, either from looting Gabby's account or his own or his parents.
  9. The parents do not seem to show any signs of being worried about him, despite the statements. If they actually feared for his life they'd be on TV pleading with him and fully cooperating with the authorities. They appear to be much more worried about legal jeopardy than physical jeopardy.
  10. If I had to guess, he's holed up in some shack or boat, or doing the Mostly Harmless thing on the Appalachian Trail.
I agree with #1 but there are always exceptions cue in Fotis Dulos. And with #6 I'm speculating that it was BL's way of indicating that he wasn't coming back. Whether that was for his parents or LE I'm on the fence.
Good post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member