Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #46

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate that point of view. I also consider it could be a bit more nuanced.
Say he arrives in a panic. "Mom, Dad, I'm in a lot of trouble. I need help but I can't say why. Gabby's not coming back." Dad: "What the heck happened?" "You won't tell me?!" "Should I call a lawyer?"
It might be understandable that the family sees the writing on the wall but does not know for sure how Gabby died. Did he kill her? Was it an accident? Did he abandon her and she died? As his family, it's understandable they'd hope for the best. I try to keep an open mind about the family and focus my outrage on the person responsible for Gabby's death. BL needs to come forward and tell what happened. The longer he shirks responsibility, the less he can claim any kind of underlying humanity.

MOO.

If his family is doing anything nefarious, that is wrong and I have yet to feel that they are not complicit in SOME way. HOWEVER, he is allowing this to continue. He is allowing his family to continue incriminating theirselves for him to live on the run. For what? Until when?

This is all my opinion, but it is really astounding to me.

This whole case is...strange. And maybe that is why it blew up the way it did. Obviously all of us here are in interest in crime for one reason or another. Many probably listen to crime podcasts and watch documentaries....read books on all sorts of crime related topics. So, it's not strange for me to see this case pop up here, or on a crime podcast. It's not unusual for me to see specific people know and/or speak about it. But when I start to see people - family members that have never shown an ounce of interest in crime, missing person, etc - talking about this case and posting information on social media. When it comes up as a general conversation and work when I've never heard anything similar to this discussed...it makes me wonder.

How and why did this blow up the way it did? Was it because TikTok got ahold of it? Was it the circumstances? Was it because the missing girl was a "cute little blonde?" Was it her very real and wonderful parents?

Why on earth are neighbors shouting daily thru bullhorns at the parent's home when the know BL isn't there and NO ONE "knows" what the parents do/don't know? What made some rando from Pennsylvania hop on a plane to just scream in front of their home? What made people check their go-pros and deer cams?

What about this case has elevated it to where it is? Arguably the circumstances of Maleah Davis's case had all of the same intrigue? Fake car jackings, missing baby, momma "out of town," hospital sightings, crazy *advertiser censored* attorney, etc. And that case didn't blow up the way this did and we're talking about a baby girl! <modsnip>

As for me I got interested in it when the Utah hour long+ video came out everywhere. At one time I was a DV victim advocate and it was obvious to me this relationship was toxic. In the state I trained in if both people show signs of abuse they both are hauled in. Rarely is there a video with the possible crime in progress to this extent. Then like most things social media blew it up. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody else think Cassie is the weak link?

I think she is the only one with any decency and does not have much experience in being deceitful or in lying to strangers; so if lying to LE, aiding and abetting a known fugitive from justice is "weakness" um yes she is that weak link.

IMO, BL is the murderer/monster; Mother Laundry is the enabler/Dr. Frankenstein/monster creator; dad is the silent witness and sister Cass is the honest one who is going to do them all in .... hopefully.

Rose... I feel like she has gotten a lot of press. I wish that Rose will say at some point "i just kept telling her this isn't safe and she should leave". Now if she has, than I retract this entire statement. I just don't feel Rose is 100 percent legit in her statements. JMO.

Gabby Petito's best friend claims Brian Laundrie was jealous and controlling | Daily Mail Online

In this article it says,

“Rose also tried, delicately, to get Gabby to reconsider her engagement to Laundrie. ”

In the article Rose goes on to say,

“'I told her you're young and Brian is a little controlling for her, but I also told her to do what makes you happy and I'm here to support you,' she said.”

From all that I’ve learned, this is the best approach for a friend, to gently suggest there’s a problem and remain supportive of their friend.

There is a lot more detail in the article about his “episodes”, Gabby going to Rose’s to get away from Brian, Brian making Gabby delete an iPhone app (sounds like the “Find my Friends” function on the iPhone) etc.

This whole case is...strange. And maybe that is why it blew up the way it did. Obviously all of us here are in interest in crime for one reason or another. Many probably listen to crime podcasts and watch documentaries....read books on all sorts of crime related topics. So, it's not strange for me to see this case pop up here, or on a crime podcast. It's not unusual for me to see specific people know and/or speak about it. But when I start to see people - family members that have never shown an ounce of interest in crime, missing person, etc - talking about this case and posting information on social media. When it comes up as a general conversation and work when I've never heard anything similar to this discussed...it makes me wonder.

How and why did this blow up the way it did? Was it because TikTok got ahold of it? Was it the circumstances? Was it because the missing girl was a "cute little blonde?" Was it her very real and wonderful parents?

Why on earth are neighbors shouting daily thru bullhorns at the parent's home when the know BL isn't there and NO ONE "knows" what the parents do/don't know? What made some rando from Pennsylvania hop on a plane to just scream in front of their home? What made people check their go-pros and deer cams?

What about this case has elevated it to where it is? Arguably the circumstances of Maleah Davis's case had all of the same intrigue? Fake car jackings, missing baby, momma "out of town," hospital sightings, crazy *advertiser censored* attorney, etc. And that case didn't blow up the way this did and we're talking about a baby girl! Does it really all come down to a case of BIPOC v. White? Or is there something else?
Many victims are pretty and white, so while I'm sure that that has something to do with the level of interest, there were other factors that made it take off the way it has, I think.

1) The fact that when people heard about the case, and that she went missing while taking a van across the country, people could easily, immediately, get lots of visuals of the van, the trip, the couple. The videos made it look idyllic and fun and the last one had tantalizingly been posted a mere 2-3 weeks previous. It was still the same vacation season. Everything was very vivid and immediate. It was easy to feel like a sense of knowing this couple.

2) The mysterious circumstances. The van parked in the driveway. The seemingly normal, nondescript family in the seemingly normal, nondescript subdivision in the seemingly normal, nondescript town. That she was charismatic and he... was not. His bizarre silence. His parents' bizarre seeming acceptance of his return without one of the members of their household.

3) The fact that we were almost as up to speed as her parents were. She went missing weeks before, but her parents just learned of it. We learned just days later.

4) The rapid pace of developments during that first 1-2 weeks. Just as soon as one development occurred, the next one occurred. There was no time for interest to just die off on its own the way it usually just peters out over time. Something might happen at any moment. I've never heard of so many non-true-crime-obsessed people listening to police scanners the way they have been.

5) The body cam footage. You had already seen the idyllic side of the trip. Suddenly it had a dark and sinister underbelly. The sheer eerieness of watching a woman who would disappear not much longer afterward in such distress, being told that she'd be better equipped to deal with her anxiety when she got older. When we knew she probably wouldn't get older.

6) Watching witnesses come forward in real time, not just with testimony, but some with their own evidence. Being able to see and examine the evidence, not just read about it.

7) The frustration of not knowing where she was located and then the very quick release of the tension of not knowing when her body was discovered.

8) The domestic violence conversation that it has sparked. The protective parents. Family and inter-personal dynamics in general.

9) His status as a fugitive with a still-(somewhat) hot trail.

It doesn't hurt that her family hasn't been decrying the attention. If they were begging people to stop speculating on social media, it may not dampen interest immediately, but it would drive a lot of the speculation underground, into virtual whispers, make it less accessible and constant, and a lot of the more casual observers would fall away.

More than anything, the timing of all of the events and revelations has allowed for a building and release of tension that is almost cinematic, which part of why I think the case has hooked as many people as it has. People are naturally attracted to stories with antagonists and protagonists, heroes and villains, with plots and subplots, with tension that rises and falls, eventually reaching a climax, and this story has all of those things.

MOO

Last edited:
I keep seeing 'lam'. Does this mean on the run? (I'm British and not familiar with that word)
TIA
"flight, escape," as in on the lam, 1928, in pickpocket slang, (according to OED attested from 1897 in do a lam), from a U.S. slang verb meaning "to run off" (1886), of uncertain origin, but perhaps from lam (v.), which was used in British student slang for "to beat" since 1590s (compare lambaste); if so, the word has the same etymological sense as the slang expression beat it.
lam | Origin and meaning of lam by Online Etymology Dictionary

The mods have made it clear and confirmed that the van is in Gabby's name. Thank you!

I noticed a few other folks wondering about the price, etc.

There is an open-source vin search site you can use to peek at the vehicle's history.

According to the search it was last offered for sale on November 18, 2020 for $8,495 with 115,136 miles on it.

If this is not allowed as a link, please remove!

Free VIN Check Reports and VIN Check - Report Summary

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211001-170956_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20211001-170956_Brave.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 35
I think it's more about the vast amount of video footage the media had to show of Gabby. Had Gabby never taken and posted videos and photos of herself, she never would have garnered this much attention. It gave her something akin to celebrity status.
I included social media in that combination

"flight, escape," as in on the lam, 1928, in pickpocket slang, (according to OED attested from 1897 in do a lam), from a U.S. slang verb meaning "to run off" (1886), of uncertain origin, but perhaps from lam (v.), which was used in British student slang for "to beat" since 1590s (compare lambaste); if so, the word has the same etymological sense as the slang expression beat it.

Thank you for that! I use the term often but I never really knew its origin.

Thank you! I know I could've just googled but thought I'd ask in here since I've seen it used a few times :)

I still think it's crazy, even with a 10 day head start.

Even if I had a 10 month head start I don't think I'd be able to evade capture from what is arguably some of the best LE/Investigative units in the world!

MOO

I agree, the very best. I believe he's going to get caught. I believe he's not missing, he's in hiding.

I included social media in that combination

Yes, it's a whole new ballgame with social media. I thought you were talking more about forums like this, but I agree that Instagram and Twitter are also social media, so in a sense, Gabby created her own fame. I'm sure she had no clue millions of people would be watching her videos one day.

There have been several high profile cases involving women of color. (just look at some of the most popular podcasts) It is Gabby's age and circumstances that make this a widespread interest. I'm not saying "missing white woman syndrome" hasn't been a thing, but it isn't really the reason for Gabby's coverage, all it takes is for someone with influence to notice a case for it to break into national media (such as John Walsh) In this case, the FBI happens to be involved in a manhunt for her boyfriend, which makes it pretty important to report on nationally.

I read an article the other day comparing Gabby to Lauren Cho because of some loosely drawn lines between "well they're both young and female and were living in a bus/van so it must be the same right" but the fact is Cho's case is totally different in circumstances and there is no reason for national coverage for her when she could very well be missing on purpose.

This case resonates because Gabby represents SO many 22 year old American women right now, skin color excluded. The ambitious, wanderlust, vulnerable girl who didn't want to follow a traditional path, who fell into a relationship with a loner because she probably thought she could fix him and liked the attention he gave her early on. The girl who took to instagram and wanted to be admired and inspire others but was snuffed out by a jealous abuser. This is the feminist mantra of our young generation and the press is just amplifying it because it is a topic that reflects the core of human interest in 2021.

I just wanted to put that out there because I personally feel like comments suggesting Gabby is getting undue recognition are just wrong. All murdered women deserve a voice, but unfortunately the general public has a small attention span. Let Gabby remind them of what she can - we're here for the rest of the women who need strangers to be remembered or found.

Yes, it's a whole new ballgame with social media. I thought you were talking more about forums like this, but I agree that Instagram and Twitter are also social media, so in a sense, Gabby created her own fame. I'm sure she had no clue millions of people would be watching her videos one day.
That and the highly unlikely video footage of the van on that back road leading to her discovery. That was unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419