Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #46

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole case is...strange. And maybe that is why it blew up the way it did. Obviously all of us here are in interest in crime for one reason or another. Many probably listen to crime podcasts and watch documentaries....read books on all sorts of crime related topics. So, it's not strange for me to see this case pop up here, or on a crime podcast. It's not unusual for me to see specific people know and/or speak about it. But when I start to see people - family members that have never shown an ounce of interest in crime, missing person, etc - talking about this case and posting information on social media. When it comes up as a general conversation and work when I've never heard anything similar to this discussed...it makes me wonder.

How and why did this blow up the way it did? Was it because TikTok got ahold of it? Was it the circumstances? Was it because the missing girl was a "cute little blonde?" Was it her very real and wonderful parents?

Why on earth are neighbors shouting daily thru bullhorns at the parent's home when the know BL isn't there and NO ONE "knows" what the parents do/don't know? What made some rando from Pennsylvania hop on a plane to just scream in front of their home? What made people check their go-pros and deer cams?

What about this case has elevated it to where it is? Arguably the circumstances of Maleah Davis's case had all of the same intrigue? Fake car jackings, missing baby, momma "out of town," hospital sightings, crazy *advertiser censored* attorney, etc. And that case didn't blow up the way this did and we're talking about a baby girl! Does it really all come down to a case of BIPOC v. White? Or is there something else?

For me it was the van life aspect since I have a self converted van and I do worry about safety and the more I read the stranger the case became. Also the DV aspect too as I have experienced this. IMO

Yes, it is. If I were CL I'd be getting my own lawyer to get an injunction that the family lawyer cannot utter my name in connection with this investigation.
You ain’t lying!!! That’s exactly what I’d be doing!!! Like…you can drag me all you want, but what you’re not going to do…is bring my young kids into this.

Seen a lot of posts about BL "hiding out" on a cruise ship. Yeah, that's a nice fantasy. My daughter and her husband just went on a Caribbean cruise out of Miami. They had to book months in advance and have their passports. The ship was not filled to capacity like the old days. They had to show their vaccination cards and have their temperatures taken. Brian doesn't seem organized enough to fake all those documents and pay lots of money for a cruise as well. You can't just hop on a cruise ship the way some people may be thinking. One more thing - on a cruise you see the same people every day for a week. Brian, even disguised, might be recognized anyway. Anyway - he's probably not on a cruise. This isn't Catch Me If You Can, LOL.

This whole case is...strange. And maybe that is why it blew up the way it did. Obviously all of us here are in interest in crime for one reason or another. Many probably listen to crime podcasts and watch documentaries....read books on all sorts of crime related topics. So, it's not strange for me to see this case pop up here, or on a crime podcast. It's not unusual for me to see specific people know and/or speak about it. But when I start to see people - family members that have never shown an ounce of interest in crime, missing person, etc - talking about this case and posting information on social media. When it comes up as a general conversation and work when I've never heard anything similar to this discussed...it makes me wonder.

How and why did this blow up the way it did? Was it because TikTok got ahold of it? Was it the circumstances? Was it because the missing girl was a "cute little blonde?" Was it her very real and wonderful parents?

Why on earth are neighbors shouting daily thru bullhorns at the parent's home when the know BL isn't there and NO ONE "knows" what the parents do/don't know? What made some rando from Pennsylvania hop on a plane to just scream in front of their home? What made people check their go-pros and deer cams?

What about this case has elevated it to where it is? Arguably the circumstances of Maleah Davis's case had all of the same intrigue? Fake car jackings, missing baby, momma "out of town," hospital sightings, crazy *advertiser censored* attorney, etc. And that case didn't blow up the way this did and we're talking about a baby girl! Does it really all come down to a case of BIPOC v. White? Or is there something else?
Rhetorical; we know the answer to that

amateur opinion and speculation

Just yesterday everyone was complaining about the lunatics with the bullhorns. Now, they'd be a welcome alternative

LOL! Do you mean, compared to Ms. Zulu, Delta, Indigo...with the box of matches, flying in from Hershey, Pennsylvania??

48655835-10050771-image-a-17_1633118950882.jpg

The Laundries stayed at the Fort De Soto Park between September 6-7. Their lawyer said they all left at the same time
Brian Laundrie's sister went camping with her brother and their parents over Labor Day | Daily Mail Online

I think its because she appears to be a person without guile, a bit naive, full of expectation and joy...all of it documented for the world to see. Oftentimes, young women like this go murdered in secret and are added to the list of the thousands of others who suffer the same. This one did not. Sometimes, there are angels in the framework of our human architecture and their passing ruptures our collective souls. Gabby, it seems, was one of those. MOO

It is possible to "sneak" in to some Caribbean and surrounding Islands. Had a friend, he hopped a private boat and headed to the Dominion Republic 30 years ago. He was wanted on federal charges. Don't know how he did it but his girlfriend joined him later and she now owns a B&B.

If you know he right "people", you can purchase IDs/credentials. So I hear.
Moo..
Moo...
Things have changed in 30 years and you probably can't sneak into any Caribbean country anymore. The harbors have surveillance cams everywhere these days. They have the internet now in Dominican Republic, just like everywhere else. You need a passport and vaccination card just to visit a few stores beside the harbor.

Is that legal definition the same in every state? The one officer actually went back to his patrol vehicle and looked it up so he should have seen that, right?

edited for spelling

Apparently Wyoming does not have a primary/predominant aggressor statute. Only 35 states do. I can't get a link for the pdf but Google
"predominant aggressor arrest statutes" and a state by state guide comes up first. (Accurate as of 2020 supposedly. Things might have changed.)
Interesting paper.

I think it's the two reasons I bolded. Missing white woman syndrome is a real thing unfortunately, but I also think the DV aspect of the case and GP's social media presence were what really gripped the public. There are so many people who can relate to the circumstances of GP's disappearance and the way BL treated her prior to her death - especially that body cam video footage. Many of us see ourselves in GP and that's why it's blown up the way it has.
I'm not a true crime buff but the reason it caught my attention is 1) Van life (I road trip and camp a lot) 2) The oddity of him not making any statement after she's reported missing and the behavior of the entire Laundrie family. They sure do make good villains. 3) The Moab video - that's when I got drawn in, they became "real" to me and the deep sadness/regret of her disappearance/death just being several weeks later.

It's hard to say why some cases generate personal &/or greater general interest. It has nothing to do with race for me.

Seen a lot of posts about BL "hiding out" on a cruise ship. Yeah, that's a nice fantasy. My daughter and her husband just went on a Caribbean cruise out of Miami. They had to book months in advance and have their passports. The ship was not filled to capacity like the old days. They had to show their vaccination cards and have their temperatures taken. Brian doesn't seem organized enough to fake all those documents and pay lots of money for a cruise as well. You can't just hop on a cruise ship the way some people may be thinking. One more thing - on a cruise you see the same people every day for a week. Brian, even disguised, might be recognized anyway. Anyway - he's probably not on a cruise. This isn't Catch Me If You Can, LOL.

He would have been found out by now if on a cruise ship from the manifest. BUT depending on the line, you CAN book only a few days in advance as long as you have a vaccination card AND a negative test 48 hours before boarding. I just booked 3 more and just got off 2 weeks ago from and 8 day. I could have stayed on for another week if i had the dogsitter in place. No temps taken and only ID scanned when getting off and on the ship at ports. EASY to leave and not come back, but they do notifiy family at that point. Cruises are booked up to 75 percent capacity at this point... with most going in the 60ish range. No passport needed though, just birth certificate and DL.

https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1443965282553368587?s=20
Brian Entin
@BrianEntin

NEW: “To my knowledge Cassie went for a day.” Laundrie family attorney says Brian’s sister Cassie was at the campground last month – despite Cassie saying in an earlier interview she hasn’t spoken to Brian since he returned to Florida.

BBM
I think this most likely means she went up to hang out at Ft. Desoto for the day and then went back home. There is much more there than just the campground. IMO It does not mean she was actively "camping" with them.

It's still really disgusting that she would have that interview whether saying directly or indirectly that she had not talked to him since he came back, for that to NOT be the case at all. She definitely saw and spoke to him, and on at least 2 separate occasions. :mad: MOO

Okay point - she could have gone for the day, and not just camped...so basically she could have just arrived, parked and gone to hang out with them. Surveillance video may show her car arriving, no? I just can't believe the attorney is saying this after she gave an interview saying otherwise.

If BL didn’t tell his family anything, it would protect them… but somehow I doubt that’s the case, especially with the bizarre range of activities and family behavior following his return. Does anyone really believe BL could get away with only telling his family that “We broke up. She left. I don’t want to talk about it.”

Then they find out GP is missing, so it’s not “Oh well, she could be anywhere, maybe with friends” it’s immediately “Let’s call our lawyer.”

More likely, BL probably told them about “how he was abused by her… and look there’s even a police report!” and that he was the “victim” of the 110 pound female for whatever else happened.

All Speculation / MOO
I appreciate that point of view. I also consider it could be a bit more nuanced.
Say he arrives in a panic. "Mom, Dad, I'm in a lot of trouble. I need help but I can't say why. Gabby's not coming back." Dad: "What the heck happened?" "You won't tell me?!" "Should I call a lawyer?"
It might be understandable that the family sees the writing on the wall but does not know for sure how Gabby died. Did he kill her? Was it an accident? Did he abandon her and she died? As his family, it's understandable they'd hope for the best. I try to keep an open mind about the family and focus my outrage on the person responsible for Gabby's death. BL needs to come forward and tell what happened. The longer he shirks responsibility, the less he can claim any kind of underlying humanity.

Things have changed in 30 years and you probably can't sneak into any Caribbean country anymore. The harbors have surveillance cams everywhere these days. They have the internet now in Dominican Republic, just like everywhere else. You need a passport and vaccination card just to visit a few stores beside the harbor.
This is true, but depending on where in the Caribbean you are and if said person who were to take you to the Caribbean had oceanfront property and a yacht... there are still places you could hide out. Not sure if BL had/has any connections to anyone with that level of wealth and property ownership, but it's a possible explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn