Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the link:

Investigators have been searching for Laundrie at the reserve, but the conditions in south Florida make it difficult to find evidence -- or any possible remains.

"Down in Florida, during the summer and wet time, a body can start to skeletonize in less than five to seven days," said Chris Boyer, executive director of the non-profit National Association for Search and Rescue (NASAR). "And with predators, you can lose a lot of evidence that way."

Fox told CNN the tropical conditions "are among the harshest on forensic evidence."

"The odds of finding it get slimmer every day, so time is obviously really of the essence," she said.

The Brian Laundrie search is complicated by time and environmental factors, experts say - CNN

Interested to know what makes people think he still could be alive?
I only hope he is for justice to be served..
He doesn't strike me as being at all worldly-wise for him to have escaped to another country and all that entails to be able to do so.
I have doubts in his ability to survive in the wild for this length of time.
I do not think it sounds like he possesses the mental stamina to cope solo.
His probable lack of financial funds unless someone is providing, but who, with the FBI/LE most likely watching his family's every move.
No sight nor sign of him since he disappeared.
IMO all the above points to him being no longer alive

OCT 2, 2021
Brian Laundrie manhunt: Dog the Bounty Hunter says keep tips coming in case that's touched millions | Fox News
[...]

They’re working long days – from sun-up to sundown – sniffing out tips, fact-checking rumors and physically in the field with volunteer search teams looking for clues of Laundrie’s movements. Earlier this week, Chapman and a private K-9 unit searched a pair of islands off of Fort De Soto, where Laundrie may have hidden out.

[...]

Despite the hoopla surrounding the case – Chapman has a long record of successful captures. And he says he holds the record of most arrests with 8,000.

With help from secret sources and tips from the public, the bounty hunter turned up two key leads that led to major developments in the case.

[...]

Chapman has said he aims to capture Laundrie alive – but he’s also in touch with the FBI.

And he’s asking for the public to continue sharing any possible leads in the case, which have been helpful so far.

"Please everyone keep your eyes open, and thank you for providing all the leads we’re getting," he said Saturday morning. "Aloha."

[...]
Both of which, the FBI probably already knew about......they don't publicize their findings. They were aware of the camping trip and who was there, according to Laundries' lawyer. jmo

<modsnip- quoted post was removed>

This was discussed at length when the charges came out. On speculation that it was Gabby's card and any permission granted ends upon the death of the cardholder. Even if the person gave you permission when they are alive, if they die that permission is removed.

Is It Illegal To Withdraw Money From A Deceased Person’s Account?.
Remember, it is illegal to withdraw money from an open account of someone who has died unless you are the other person named on a joint account before you have informed the bank of the death and been granted probate. This is the case even if you need to access some of the money to pay for the funeral.

Last edited by a moderator:
^— This. How many people routinely use the debit card and PIN of a friend, spouse, or parent with permission? While the cardholder may have given permission, the bank does not authorize it. Technically that’s a felony that is being record at the ATM security camera. No one presses charges though unless there is a major fraud or crime issue.

It’s not an issue unless the owner of the card presses charges, or is deceased. It is not unusual for someone to have permission to use someone else’s credit or debit cards. In fact, with POA even legal. Until the owner of account dies, at which point all permission including POA ends. Unless the account was specifically set up for that other user, it is no longer legal

I believe in this case, FBI is using this breach to be able to haul BL into custody and lean on him when they catch him. It is good strategy to have a lesser charge in the table rather than leading with the main one so that the big case can be very carefully set up. Many cases get thrown out of court or lost because of technical missteps.

It is also possible, maybe, though I don’t think so, that the card used is one of Gabby’s parents and they have reported unauthorized use. I doubt it because it’s only reasonable that BL and Gabby had ready access to funds during this trip. They didn’t just spontaneously leave; they planned and saved for it. They shared resources, I’m sure. They’d been together for years, not months

Gabby Petito: Fiancé Brian Laundrie charged with using her bank card, arrest warrant issued

Arrest warrant issued for Brian Laundrie for 'unauthorized use' of credit cards related to Gabby Petito case

Federal arrest warrant issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito investigation

Now, granted the arrest warrant does not specify outright that the owner of the card/accounts was Gabby, however it asserts the unauthorized use is "related to Mr. Laundrie's activities following the death of Gabrielle Petito."

If his alleged crime was completely unrelated to Gabby, why is her name bought into it at all on the arrest warrant? Why are the dates so crucial here? Because she deceased and therefore could not give permission for the use.

According to the FBI arrest warrant, the investigation of GP's homicide, the possibility of BL's involvement in that homicide, and the indictment of BL for bank card fraud are seemingly inextricably linked.

JMO, but I think it's pretty obvious it was Gabby's accounts BL stole from.

Link to the pertinent documents:

https://www.scribd.com/document/527171224/Federal-Warrant

But to reiterate, it's an assumption.

LE and MSM have NOT once said the card BL used belonged to Gabby.

<modsnip>

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s common in a caregiver situation for sure. Like when I had my bone marrow transplant. My kids were shopping and filing my vehicle’s gas tank. They used my debit card with my permission.

I was surprised when the federal warrant came out for bank card use. It struck me as, are they desperate to find something to pin on him? But hey, if this is what it takes to find this asshat, I’m all for it!!

Love the last sentence!
Credit Card Fraud Laws, Charges & Statute of Limitations | Federal Charges.com

and I think because we are all assuming GP was not alive it's technically stolen, despite their relationship..

So IMO. This is why he got a federal charge...It's a felony. I 'think' it actually falls under identity theft too
Federal laws stipulate a number of charges that can be levied in connection with credit card fraud:
  • Producing, using, or trafficking in counterfeit access devices.
  • Trafficking in or using such a device to obtain anything of value aggregating $1,000 or more within 12 months.
But as far as you or me using a card with authorization, while it is frowned upon--it is the person who owns the card who is in breach of the contract. Not the user.

Yeah, well...there's the microphone and the opportunity. Nothing.
No - OK! Hey Brian, turn yourself in! You've only got one credit card charge. Its not the end of the world! Nothing.
What's wrong with these people?

You have absolutely no idea what they've been told to say by their lawyers. And before you jump in with "well if it was me..." please realize we can all say that now but if we were in that situation who knows what it would really be like.

Is it off topic to wonder why a 24 year-old man doesn’t seem to own anything? Not his car, not his bank account (presumably not even funds or things owned in joint tenancy), not a place to live….just nothing at all that anyone has turned up. I’m not getting at mental health here but rather at whether there might be desire or choice to avoid ownership (yet somehow not be above using things other people own… but that might be a whole different topic.)
It’s also as though he’s living like a teenager. I knew a guy like that who was living that way in his 30s: No apartment, car, credit cards— but used his parents’ abundantly. That sort of thing has to be not only tolerated, but encouraged by the parents.

Why hasn’t Brian Laundrie been charged with a more serious crime? “I think it’s coming.” – Palm Beach County State Attorney Dave Aronberg says. He also explains why the full autopsy report hasn’t been released. And what would it take for Brian’s parents to be charged?

Video

https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1444294421898428417

This is good! The gist of what he says is definitely applicable to federal law and how the federal prosecutors think too.

I have the feeling if BL is still alive, then he's static somewhere. I think the risks are far too great for him to be moving from place to place, location to location.

So many are on the lookout for him it would be absolutely foolish for him to be mobile whilst the hunt is so active and at the forefront of everyone's minds right now.

I think he's laying low somewhere with a stash of supplies.

It'll be interesting to see how things transpire when said supplies run out!

The Laundrie lawyer is primarily a Real Estate Lawyer. This could maybe open up some opportunities for places to hide..

MOO

I was just going to say the same thing. He had many days to plan his escape and load up on supplies with no one watching.

Just hunker down and don’t move. Once he is moving it will be easier to spot him. But…sooner or later he will have to as he runs out of supplies.

Yet maybe he can use gift cards to order food if he is in a local place. If he is out in the boonies he may have to resort to theft. Peanut butter, honey and crackers might last quite a long time.

I've only seen searches of this magnitude and with these resources in terrorism.
Bodies do decompose.
Haversacks last longer.

Might as well bite the bullet now and sit back and wait..
FBI will let us know when they are well and truly ready.
It does make me wonder if there is something much bigger going on that we are not at all remotely aware of.

I have never seen a case, this public, where the at least the media hasn't chased down every known person involved in the POI life, down to pre-school teachers. Not even the hard core gossip rags are touching much about it, outside of the allowed few people already revealed.

It seems like everyone, including the media, has been told to stand down, zip it, and wait for the small drips of information that are allowed to be shared.

It's almost like we have all just watched the trailer to a movie and think we know exactly how it is going to go, but it may end up being nothing like that at all.

So so so strange. IMO MOO MOO JMO

From the link:

Investigators have been searching for Laundrie at the reserve, but the conditions in south Florida make it difficult to find evidence -- or any possible remains.

"Down in Florida, during the summer and wet time, a body can start to skeletonize in less than five to seven days," said Chris Boyer, executive director of the non-profit National Association for Search and Rescue (NASAR). "And with predators, you can lose a lot of evidence that way."

Fox told CNN the tropical conditions "are among the harshest on forensic evidence."

"The odds of finding it get slimmer every day, so time is obviously really of the essence," she said.

The Brian Laundrie search is complicated by time and environmental factors, experts say - CNN
Thanks for posting those quotes. Not encouraging.

It’s not an issue unless the owner of the card presses charges, or is deceased. It is not unusual for someone to have permission to use someone else’s credit or debit cards. In fact, with POA even legal. Until the owner of account dies, at which point all permission including POA ends. Unless the account was specifically set up for that other user, it is no longer legal…

Thank you. Unauthorized use of a debit / credit card of a deceased person is key here.

There's a scene in "The Color Purple" where Miss Celie tells, Shug - "He beats me, because I'm not you." I believe this is the crux of this situation. For close to 7 years, Brian, the self-absorbed, isolationist <modsnip> tried to change the all giving and nurturing Gabby into his doppelganger. He wanted a female Brian, <modsnip>
But, she couldn't chuck her free spirit, love of people and desire to teach the world about caring for the world. He was as small as a cancer cell. She was as large as the universe. He could not beat her embrace of the world out of her. He could not spirit her far enough away to cut her ties to the world she truly cared to nurture. He could not brow beat her into the kind of devotion that expects nothing in return.
He wanted to flee from the world. She wanted to change the world. He wanted to abandon all ties. She wanted to share her embrace with everyone.
Gabby said no too many times to a person who tried to groom her into believing a life in handcuffs was a life liberated simply because he was doing the handcuffing. In the end, she was a failed experiment, an incendiary catalyst that ignited the rage at the heart of his iconoclasm. Like a gladiator, this happy, light-hearted, little girl withstood his attempt at brainwashing for 7 years in order to lighten his heart, heal his soul and make him fall back in love with the entirety of the world - not just the rocks, streams and mountains upon it.
In the end, his sickness proved to be both incurable and deadly.
JMHO

Now I'm going to have to watch the Color Purple... and if you don't write professionally you ought to consider it. It's superbly written, but as to its authenticity to this situation, it remains to be seen. I just don't see Brian as inherently evil, I think it went downhill rapidly as they faced situations without the maturity and coping skills.

I hope we find out the answers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members