Etiquette & Information Discussion

Thank you for removing my post. I posted an Amber Alert last night because it had a good BOLO potential. (Abduction happened either yesterday or Friday with a known vehicle and was spotted traveling with the person who abducted her with a specific vehicle around 5 PM last night at a specific address)

It was "if you see something say something" post as opposed to a "discussion" post.

Minor was safely located overnight. I wanted to post that she was found safe, but got a notice that post was "moved"...Couldn't find the "moved" post, but then I read often when a minor is found safe posts are deleted.

This is a case that will be handled by the legal system, but will probably not be tried in the "public eye" due to the nature of this specific abduction.

Glad she was found quickly and appreciate that my post was removed.

I'm glad the mods followed up with the Amber Alert and were on top of it.
I'm a late sleeper..LOL and WS mods were up early!

Thank You.

Last edited:
I posted in:

NC - NC - Virginia Wood, Kelly Gaskins & Ervin Williams, Chocowinity, 2007

I realized it was for the best to take the 2 living friends out of the post (lizz Flemming is fine), so no one bothers them on social media. I can't edit them out. Would a moderator be able to do it for me?

I don't want my entire post removed... Just their names with the initials JC and CS.

I posted in:

NC - NC - Virginia Wood, Kelly Gaskins & Ervin Williams, Chocowinity, 2007

I realized it was for the best to take the 2 living friends out of the post (lizz Flemming is fine), so no one bothers them on social media. I can't edit them out. Would a moderator be able to do it for me?

I don't want my entire post removed... Just their names with the initials JC and CS.

@calocjane7890 , if you can't edit, click the blue word Report at the bottom of the post, a Moderator will take care of the edit.

Minor was safely located overnight. I wanted to post that she was found safe, but got a notice that post was "moved"...Couldn't find the "moved" post, but then I read often when a minor is found safe posts are deleted.

Has this rule started to be enforced more strictly in the last couple months? I've found almost every resolved thread that involves a non-abducted teen leads to an error page for me. Previously they ended up in the Found Safe forum where they just fall off the list as no new info comes out.

What does it mean when a member posts “Following” over and over on a thread? It seems strange because you can just “watch” the thread. But it also seems a bit negative because it just clutters up a popular thread that much more over time, without adding anything of value to the discussion. Am I missing the purpose? It makes much more sense to me I see “Bumping” on a long-dormant thread.

I apologize if this is not the right forum to ask this question.

What does it mean when a member posts “Following” over and over on a thread? It seems strange because you can just “watch” the thread. But it also seems a bit negative because it just clutters up a popular thread that much more over time, without adding anything of value to the discussion. Am I missing the purpose? It makes much more sense to me I see “Bumping” on a long-dormant thread.

I apologize if this is not the right forum to ask this question.

@Tower, Moderators do try to remove those posts when they see them and you are absolutely right .. they do nothing but clutter up the thread. Can you imagine if all 200,000 members did that?

Can someone sleuth us Websleuthers? In the case below, yes.

I have a paid subscription with Newspapers.com. I frequently use that source to glean information to use on Websleuths, as do many other members. I have noticed on several occasions while looking for articles that other researchers have clipped sources from Newspaper.com. and used those same clippings on WS, of which Newspapers.com shows that clipping on their website with the real name of the subscriber or an anonymous name they used when joining Newspapers.com. In essence, if you used your real name to subscribe to Newspapers.com and you clipped and used that same clipping on Websleuths, you are no longer anonymous if you left checked (by default) the New clippings are public box below.

So, this is just a heads up that Websleuth members who really, really wish to remain anonymous aren't anonymous in this instance. You can resolve that issue by going to Account Details - Newspapers.com at your account under Clipping Settings and uncheck the New clippings are public box, which is their default setting.

Is there a place where we can find what the abbreviations mean? I know what some of them mean, such as IMO and JMO but am stuck on some others.
Here you go:

Hey, pretty new here! Was wondering what it meant if one of my posts says edited by a moderator? Does that mean I broke a rule? I’ve been trying to be very careful but even with checking back to the rules I worry I might be.

Also, if you do break a rule, are you informed of it or are you just banned? Thanks for any help!!

Hey, pretty new here! Was wondering what it meant if one of my posts says edited by a moderator? Does that mean I broke a rule? I’ve been trying to be very careful but even with checking back to the rules I worry I might be.

Also, if you do break a rule, are you informed of it or are you just banned? Thanks for any help!!
You didn't break any rule. The part of your post that was edited was within the body of the post you had quoted.

Normally when a post is edited, you would receive a Notification that gives a brief explanation. If you did not receive a Notification, I apologize because it was me who did the editing. We usually try to give a reason but time does not always permit.

All members are expected to familiarize themselves with the rules, and that can take a bit of time. Generally, we expect that members should know the basics within about 2 weeks. If a newish member violates a rule, and depending on which rule, we usually cut a fair amount of slack. Initially, we may just remove the post with an explanation, or we may remove the post and issue Warning points. If Warning points go over 5 at any time, it is an automatic Time Out, but IF the violation is exceptionally egregious, we may issue an actual ban.

Moderators and Administrators use a fair amount of discretion and judgement in dealing with violations, so it's not all black and white to explain to members.

Starting about Post #29 in Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) will give you a better idea of how it works.

You didn't break any rule. The part of your post that was edited was within the body of the post you had quoted.

Normally when a post is edited, you would receive a Notification that gives a brief explanation. If you did not receive a Notification, I apologize because it was me who did the editing. We usually try to give a reason but time does not always permit.

All members are expected to familiarize themselves with the rules, and that can take a bit of time. Generally, we expect that members should know the basics within about 2 weeks. If a newish member violates a rule, and depending on which rule, we usually cut a fair amount of slack. Initially, we may just remove the post with an explanation, or we may remove the post and issue Warning points. If Warning points go over 5 at any time, it is an automatic Time Out, but IF the violation is exceptionally egregious, we may issue an actual ban.

Moderators and Administrators use a fair amount of discretion and judgement in dealing with violations, so it's not all black and white to explain to members.

Starting about Post #29 in Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) will give you a better idea of how it works.
Thanks so much!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back