New Zodiac Suspect, ROSS SULLIVAN

Zodiac was spotted by the police after the murder of Paul Stein, and the guy that they saw was much smaller than Sullivan.

I do think that RS killed CJB, but I don't think that she was a Zodiac victim.
Who is the most likely Zodiac suspect (of known potential suspects) in your opinion?

Who is the most likely Zodiac suspect (of known potential suspects) in your opinion?
I don't think that the Zodiac was any of the people who have been named by the press.

I think that he was some random, sexually frustrated incel who isn't on anyone's radar.

I think that he was a coward who only stopped killing because the police came so close to catching him after the Paul Stein murder. I don't for a second believe his BS claims about killing 37 people.

He may have stopped communicating with the press because he finally got into a long-term relationship, or he may have died. Given his approximate age, the former is far more likely.

If he's still alive, he isn't talking.

I don’t know if Sullivan is the Zodiac Killer (he’s still my prime suspect if it isn’t Poste, though), but I’m absolutely convinced that he killed Cheri Jo Bates. Have they tested his DNA yet?

Also, I’ve seen multiple sources claiming that Sullivan had an alibi, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
I don’t know if Sullivan is the Zodiac Killer (he’s still my prime suspect if it isn’t Poste, though), but I’m absolutely convinced that he killed Cheri Jo Bates. Have they tested his DNA yet?

Also, I’ve seen multiple sources claiming that Sullivan had an alibi, but I doubt it.
I think that his friends gave him a bogus alibi. I too think that he killed Cheri Jo Bates, but I don't believe that her murder is connected to the Zodiac killings.

#7NEWS
Cold-case investigators claims to have solved mystery of Zodiac Killer’s identity | 7NEWS
Oct 12, 2021

Does anyone know where exactly this photo of Sullivan is from? I imagine it’s a yearbook.
5342E9FA-48CF-4504-9D18-A91B10F4B065.jpeg

I think RS is by far the most likely Zodiac suspect. I hope to see more investigation into his background.

Not only does he match the sketch, and could have gained weight or lost weight during those years, depending on his mental condition at the time, but the letter commended police for finding his Riverside killing, seemingly an acknowledgement of something he did not plan to divulge, and a much more personal and brutal slaying, as one might expect with someone he probably worked with or had known.

I think RS is by far the most likely Zodiac suspect. I hope to see more investigation into his background.

Not only does he match the sketch, and could have gained weight or lost weight during those years, depending on his mental condition at the time, but the letter commended police for finding his Riverside killing, seemingly an acknowledgement of something he did not plan to divulge, and a much more personal and brutal slaying, as one might expect with someone he probably worked with or had known.
A couple of cops came face to face with the Zodiac a few minutes after he had killed Paul Stein. Ross Sullivan doesn't even come close to matching the physical description of the man that the cops saw.

If you go by the Presidio Heights sketch and assume that Cheri Jo Bates was a Zodiac victim and that Ross killed her, then he makes an interesting POI. However, Bates isn't a proven Zodiac victim. In fact, the Riverside PD claims that she's not a Zodiac victim. The problem with Ross being the Zodiac is he doesn't fit the eyewitness description. The Zodiac Killer was a small guy. Mike Mageau said his attacker was 5'8. The three kids at Presidio Heights said he was 5'8. Officer Fouke who possibly witnessed the Zodiac Killer around the area of Paul Stine's murder said he was around 5'10. Bryan Hartnell estimated that his attacker was 5'8 to 6'0 but apparently admitted that he is not good at judging heights. Ross was 6'3. It's possible that all the eyewitness underestimated the Zodiac Killer's size but it is unlikely. In scary situations, humans tend to overestimate size, not underestimate size.

There are some good clue,s in the zodiac story. Some facts are more important than others when looking at the time and place of the crime.
The clue,s from the Presidio Heights have always been so obvious when reading his letters and looking at the time and place of the Stine crime.

There is good information on the Zodiac killer site to show us the letter after the Stine crime was dropped in the mail just blocks away from the crime. However i took this up with a Professor many years ago.
His reply was, this. The thing to understand here Is, that a killer is not going to give away his location.
We know he was there, And he knew the area.

It would be helpful to know if Zodiac approached from higher ground at the Lake Berryessa killing. That could account for him seeming shorter than RS, as well as victims sitting down in their car looking up at him while he was standing above on approach.

Eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable. It's easy to draw a sketch until the victims confirm the sketch resembles the face of the person they saw, but it's just a face. There's no sketch of the man's height.

RS is by far the most likely Zodiac suspect.

Another thing that would be helpful would be to know the victims' and police officers' heights. As well as the layout of the land at Presidio Heights. Unless they are similar height on equal ground, I think that part of the description is really just trigonometry and a guessing game. The facial description matching the sketch should be much more reliable imo.

It would be helpful to know if Zodiac approached from higher ground at the Lake Berryessa killing. That could account for him seeming shorter than RS, as well as victims sitting down in their car looking up at him while he was standing above on approach.

Eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable. It's easy to draw a sketch until the victims confirm the sketch resembles the face of the person they saw, but it's just a face. There's no sketch of the man's height.

RS is by far the most likely Zodiac suspect.

The thing is all witnesses said he was 5'8 with the exception of Bryan Hartnell who gave a range of 5'8 to 6'0. That kind of corroboration strengthens the reliability of eyewitness testimony regarding height. It's important to judge a POI based on the evidence rather than judge the evidence based on a favored POI.

The thing is all witnesses said he was 5'8 with the exception of Bryan Hartnell who gave a range of 5'8 to 6'0. That kind of corroboration strengthens the reliability of eyewitness testimony regarding height. It's important to judge a POI based on the evidence rather than judge the evidence based on a favored POI.
Exactly.

It's laughable how some people will try to force the evidence to fit a pet suspect.

RS was worth looking at, but it's time to move on. It is also clear at this point that CJB was not a Zodiac victim.

Of course, even if Ross turns out to not be the Zodiac, there’s still a possibility that he killed Cheri Jo Bates.

Exactly.

It's laughable how some people will try to force the evidence to fit a pet suspect.

RS was worth looking at, but it's time to move on. It is also clear at this point that CJB was not a Zodiac victim.

I have never really understood why people see a connection between the Cheri Jo Bates murder and the Zodiac murders. The handwriting of the Bates letter and the handwriting of the Zodiac letters don't really match, and the MO of the Bates murder doesn't really fit the MO of the Zodiac murders. The only parallels seem to be the obscure marking that resembles a 'z' or '2' that the writer of the Bates letter left at the bottom of two of his three letters. The thing is that the Zodiac Killer never used such a marking and he didn't adopt the Zodiac name until his fourth letter. The only exception to this may be in the Halloween card but that 'z' isn't isolated and looks to be part of a cipher consisting of three symbols in my opinion.

Ross is an interesting person. There's a lot of mystique about him. So, I can understand why people are drawn to him. The chances of him being the Zodiac are very low in my opinion. Pursuing him when he doesn't match eyewitness description is a waste of time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackparsley
Back