TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
The signs were all there, yet nobody acted. Those closest to him likely afraid of him.

Questions that arise for me.

Where did he get the money to buy the guns? Two AR's, one with what appears to be an eotech or some other brand red dot sight. I'd say at bare minimum that's $1,500 dollars worth of weaponry, and possibly worth twice that amount. Add to that the body armor and some ammo.

But the big question for me is, why'd he shoot his own grandmother?

The first line in this article claims his family was poor.

Wondering the same thing. Where does an 18 year get this amount of money? Were these guns purchased legally or were they street gun buys?

This is perplexing about the "drivers license" and the crashed pick up truck. Because according to his grandfather he didn't have a drivers license.
"Reyes said the suspect did not know how to drive and did not have a driver's license."
Hum.....then how did he legally buy the guns without a photo ID, required by law.

I'm a gun owner, registered open carry and concealed carry license. Gun dealers are usually very meticulous about paperwork, background checks, etc. This came about, when families started during gun dealers. I would think a dealer would be extra careful for someone so young.
Moo and purchaser of guns.

Hum.....then how did he legally buy the guns without a photo ID, required by law.
I'm a gun owner, registered open carry and concealed carry license. Gun dealers are usually very meticulous about paperwork, background checks, etc. This came about, when families started during gun dealers. I would think a dealer would be extra careful for someone so young.
I think most states have photo ID that you can get without having a license.

And how did he get there to purchase the guns? Someone must have driven him. A lot of questions about how this happened.

Article on security measures used in schools in the Uvalde School District.

Texas mass shooting: Uvalde school district had security measures in place prior to tragedy

Those proponents include four officers, including a chief, a detective and two officers within the school district; partnerships with local law enforcement agencies; security staff that patrols door entrances and parking lots at secondary campuses; case managers and social workers on UCISD campuses; licensed counselors; threat assessment teams; social media threat monitoring; a visitor management security system; canine detection services; motion detectors and alarm systems; perimeter fencing at Robb and other schools; security vestibules and outside buzz-in systems; security cameras; a locked classroom door policy; staff and student training; and a threat reporting system.

The district states that it uses a service called Social Sentinel "to monitor all social media with a connection to Uvalde as a measure to identify any possible threats that might be made against students and or staff within the school district."

How did an 18 yo breach all these measures?

How did an 18 yo breach all these measures?
These are district-wide measures to improve safety. I don't believe we know the exact security protocols that were in place at this elementary school at the time of the shooting.

Many things can be learned from this tragedy over time. I'm still puzzled the shooter wasn't taken down before he got into a classroom.

Hopefully, answers will come.

The classrooms were supposed to be locked. I wonder how he accessed the rooms?
Some of the MSM articles I've seen with photos of some of the victims show them holding up awards and it was mentioned that morning they had awards and parents could attend. I wonder if due to the very end of school and with parents coming on campus for the end of year awards maybe doors were unlocked or some classrooms were unlocked due to that? Just my opinion and a possible scenario I could see happening. :(

No, there is no "gun show loophole", people selling guns at tables have a phone hookup to make background checks. NRA-ILA | Background Checks | NICS

private sellers and some gun show are super easy to buy w/o background checks but since he didn't go through a private seller the point is mute. I should add it might be illegal they may be going around the law. But anyways you're correct all gun stores do have background checks and he passed his which I find disturbing even after we hear he was known to the police.
It's depressing he was still able to obtain the guns.

SBM from @Kristin Esq.

Ability for an 18 yr old to buy a long gun has been in place in TX for 60 years. For a majority of these years, we didn't have any incidents like this. Anyone that shoots anyone else has a mental health challenge, period. We need to target that mental health challenge.

Here's an article from NPR, which discusses mental health issues for school shooters. It's from 2019, so it predates many horrid shootings occurring after this article, but why I searched for it is something I remembered about the Columbine shooters.

I recalled that both Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold had had mental health counseling. This article details how that went. Dylan was depressed; Eric was angry and grandiose.

Despite mental health counseling, nothing was done to prevent them from carrying out their plan at Columbine. Dylan's mother believed him when he said he would be ok, although she seems to have been a loving mother.

I do believe we need to target mental health, but a clever enough person can fool a therapist. To me it seems more effectual to change the law so that an 18-year old cannot purchase body armor and particularly cannot purchase a gun. Especially a gun with the sole purpose of causing mayhem--an assault weapon.

Yes, people will get guns illegally as they do here in NYC. Yet in states with lax gun laws, it seems all too easy to legally purchase these weapons.

Apparently SR was raring to go. On his 18th birthday, purchasing assault weapons was his first priority. I agree with at a MINIMUM, raising the age to 24.

No one in America needs to hunt for food to survive. For sport, okay, wait until 24 or so.

I enjoy going fishing although I don't need that for survival, (we always throw the fish back in the water, anyway), but if suddenly there were an epidemic of people with fishing rods casting hooks into the mouths of people on the street, I would hope the law would change regarding fishing gear sales.

Here we already have an epidemic of school shooting. The most common denominator seems to be that the perpetrator is a male.

We probably all remember those 11-year old boys who pulled the fire drill alarm at school so that everyone would be outside, and then shot their classmates. So it can be as young as that, with a troubled male. They likely got their weapons from home, so being over 24 for gun purchasing will not save everyone, but it will save some.

Jmo

SBM from @Kristin Esq.

Ability for an 18 yr old to buy a long gun has been in place in TX for 60 years. For a majority of these years, we didn't have any incidents like this. Anyone that shoots anyone else has a mental health challenge, period. We need to target that mental health challenge.

Here's an article from NPR, which discusses mental health issues for school shooters. It's from 2019, so it predates many horrid shootings occurring after this article, but why I searched for it is something I remembered about the Columbine shooters.

I recalled that both Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold had had mental health counseling. This article details how that went. Dylan was depressed; Eric was angry and grandiose.

Despite mental health counseling, nothing was done to prevent them from carrying out their plan at Columbine. Dylan's mother believed him when he said he would be ok, although she seems to have been a loving mother.

I do believe we need to target mental health, but a clever enough person can fool a therapist. To me it seems more effectual to change the law so that an 18-year old cannot purchase body armor and particularly cannot purchase a gun. Especially a gun with the sole purpose of causing mayhem--an assault weapon.

Yes, people will get guns illegally as they do here in NYC. Yet in states with lax gun laws, it seems all too easy to legally purchase these weapons.

Apparently SR was raring to go. On his 18th birthday, purchasing assault weapons was his first priority. I agree with at a MINIMUM, raising the age to 24.

No one in America needs to hunt for food to survive. For sport, okay, wait until 24 or so.

I enjoy going fishing although I don't need that for survival, (we always throw the fish back in the water, anyway), but if suddenly there were an epidemic of people with fishing rods casting hooks into the mouths of people on the street, I would hope the law would change regarding fishing gear sales.

Here we already have an epidemic of school shooting. The most common denominator seems to be that the perpetrator is a male.

We probably all remember those 11-year old boys who pulled the fire drill alarm at school so that everyone would be outside, and then shot their classmates. So it can be as young as that, with a troubled male. They likely got their weapons from home, so being over 24 for gun purchasing will not save everyone, but it will save some.

Jmo

great article. thank you.

Or a 15th birthday present, in the case of E.C. in Michigan, who.....Get This......shot up a school also.
Why parents in the USA give real guns to their children as gifts is beyond the comprehension of people outside the US. Parents here even question and struggle with whether kids should get TOY guns as a gift.

Ultimately America needs to figure out why this keeps happening here, why here why so often? Why to our children?
If you ever lost a loved one to gun violence you'd know how horrific it truly is it lives a hole in your heart that cannot be filled. I wish we could actually PREVENT the next mass shooting rather than wait for the next one to happen.
I wish you all well.
Thoughts and Prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members