TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
SBM from @Kristin Esq.

Ability for an 18 yr old to buy a long gun has been in place in TX for 60 years. For a majority of these years, we didn't have any incidents like this. Anyone that shoots anyone else has a mental health challenge, period. We need to target that mental health challenge.

Here's an article from NPR, which discusses mental health issues for school shooters. It's from 2019, so it predates many horrid shootings occurring after this article, but why I searched for it is something I remembered about the Columbine shooters.

I recalled that both Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold had had mental health counseling. This article details how that went. Dylan was depressed; Eric was angry and grandiose.

Despite mental health counseling, nothing was done to prevent them from carrying out their plan at Columbine. Dylan's mother believed him when he said he would be ok, although she seems to have been a loving mother.

I do believe we need to target mental health, but a clever enough person can fool a therapist. To me it seems more effectual to change the law so that an 18-year old cannot purchase body armor and particularly cannot purchase a gun. Especially a gun with the sole purpose of causing mayhem--an assault weapon.

Yes, people will get guns illegally as they do here in NYC. Yet in states with lax gun laws, it seems all too easy to legally purchase these weapons.

Apparently SR was raring to go. On his 18th birthday, purchasing assault weapons was his first priority. I agree with at a MINIMUM, raising the age to 24.

No one in America needs to hunt for food to survive. For sport, okay, wait until 24 or so.

I enjoy going fishing although I don't need that for survival, (we always throw the fish back in the water, anyway), but if suddenly there were an epidemic of people with fishing rods casting hooks into the mouths of people on the street, I would hope the law would change regarding fishing gear sales.

Here we already have an epidemic of school shooting. The most common denominator seems to be that the perpetrator is a male.

We probably all remember those 11-year old boys who pulled the fire drill alarm at school so that everyone would be outside, and then shot their classmates. So it can be as young as that, with a troubled male. They likely got their weapons from home, so being over 24 for gun purchasing will not save everyone, but it will save some.

Jmo
  • On May 18, 2022, the suspect reportedly purchased 375 rounds of 5.56 ammunition. Who in the world besides soldiers in war need this kind of amo?

On all of their faces you see pride, joy and excitement! They loved learning and being in school. Just so freaking sad. I agree with the earlier poster about that age, they are hungry to learn and full of excitement when they do. Darkness extinguished light and goodness yesterday. I think that is our struggle, good people are really having a hard time trying to process this.

By the way, did S.R. live with the grandfather that has spoken to the media or it was just him and the grandmother?

Communication has been a bit... confusing.

Snipped for focus.

There have been media reports that implied that SR lived with both grandparents. This article says so.

MOO

Hum.....then how did he legally buy the guns without a photo ID, required by law.

I'm a gun owner, registered open carry and concealed carry license. Gun dealers are usually very meticulous about paperwork, background checks, etc. This came about, when families started during gun dealers. I would think a dealer would be extra careful for someone so young.
Moo and purchaser of guns.

I don’t know the Texas laws, but I’d bet that every state has a way to obtain an ID that’s good for every purpose *except* allowing someone to drive.

However, it might be interesting to know why he didn’t have a drivers license.

MOO

This is the first time I'm seeing that he was in the school for AN HOUR before they went in after him. I cannot wrap my head around that one. I can't imagine standing outside (or even helping other children out of windows) while a gunman is barricaded in the school with an entire classroom of people. What in the world could cause that kind of delay?

From above:
At least one armed law enforcement officer from the Uvalde school district was at the school. That officer exchanged gunfire with the gunman, but the gunman was able to get past the officer, the official said, citing the initial reports.

The gunman then entered through a south door at the school. After he was inside, two officers from the Uvalde Police Department arrived on the scene, engaged the gunman and were immediately met with gunfire, the official said. Both were shot.

It appeared that the gunman was contained in one classroom at that time, and the officers were unable to enter it. He remained there until a tactical unit from the border patrol killed the gunman, shortly after 1 p.m., the official said, citing state police reports.

This is the first time I'm seeing that he was in the school for AN HOUR before they went in after him. I cannot wrap my head around that one. I can't imagine standing outside (or even helping other children out of windows) while a gunman is barricaded in the school with an entire classroom of people. What in the world could cause that kind of delay?

From above:
At least one armed law enforcement officer from the Uvalde school district was at the school. That officer exchanged gunfire with the gunman, but the gunman was able to get past the officer, the official said, citing the initial reports.

The gunman then entered through a south door at the school. After he was inside, two officers from the Uvalde Police Department arrived on the scene, engaged the gunman and were immediately met with gunfire, the official said. Both were shot.

It appeared that the gunman was contained in one classroom at that time, and the officers were unable to enter it. He remained there until a tactical unit from the border patrol killed the gunman, shortly after 1 p.m., the official said, citing state police reports.

I am sorry but waiting an hour to enter the classroom? you must be joking!!! there is going to be a whole lot of criticism leveled at the way the police handled this situation. My gut tells me, they could have gotten to him much sooner and saved some of those kids and teachers. That is my opinion at this moment, subject to change as we learn more facts.

Reports now suggest the shooter was not wearing body armor, but a tactical vest.

Texas officials give new details about Uvalde elementary school shooting – WGRZ
<snipped & BBM>
Officers found one of the rifles in Ramos’ truck, the other in the school, according to the briefing given to lawmakers. Ramos was wearing a tactical vest, but it had no hardened body-armor plates inside, lawmakers were told. He also dropped a backpack containing several magazines full of ammunition near the school entrance.

Shooter had a driver's license:

ATF paperwork shows the suspect’s home address, as does his driver license, in the 500 block of ____ Street in Uvalde. That is the address where his grandmother lived and was shot.

As for background checks and mental health: It is a legal definition. If purchaser had a legal hold due to mental health such as a commitment by a judge etc, then the person is bared from purchasing firearms. A person must be declared legally incompetent. Hence the bar is very high

Last edited:
I am sorry but waiting an hour to enter the classroom? you must be joking!!! there is going to be a whole lot of criticism leveled at the way the police handled this situation. My gut tells me, they could have gotten to him much sooner and saved some of those kids and teachers. That is my opinion at this moment, subject to change as we learn more facts.
This is a little known truth. The police have no obligation or duty to jeopardize their lives to save another's life. Ultimately it is each person's responsibility to save their own life.

Police have no legal obligation to save lives not in their custody.

“But police officers, in fact, generally are not under any legal obligation to protect citizens who are not in their custody. ‘Neither the Constitution, nor state law, impose a general duty upon police officers or other governmental officials to protect individual persons from harm — even when they know the harm will occur,’ said Darren L. Hutchinson, a professor and associate dean at the University of Florida School of Law. “Police can watch someone attack you, refuse to intervene and not violate the Constitution.’”
Officers Had No Duty to Protect Students in Parkland Massacre, Judge Rules (Published 2018)

Mother of the shooter speaks:

"He was NOT a violent person"

I probably would not speak, but as the old saying goes, "It's a free country"

( "It's a free country" is a lame expression hurled when someone says something not so bright, but it's their right)

Last edited:
Mother of the shooter speaks:

"He was NOT a violent person"

Maybe not physically violent before yesterday, but his head must have been full to the brim with violent simmering rage.

It’s the same old story, isn’t it? Quiet oddball just one day goes seriously bad.

A gun store most likely.
From what I have seen legally purchased. And an 18 year old would probably have a clean background check if required, and mental health, just undiagnosed in my opinion.... :You have to take a written test and a active test for a drivers permit, time to require that for a gun. Heck even employers can have you take a personality test before hiring you..... JUST MY OPINONS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members