GUILTY MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #8 *Arrest*

...Under the terms of the deal, the murder charge was amended to second-degree murder. Colon-Ortiz agreed to plead guilty to that and the unarmed robbery charge.

The agreement proposes that Colon-Ortiz be sentenced to 20 years and one day for the unarmed robbery charge, with credit for pre-trial detention, and a sentence of 25 years to life on the second-degree murder charge.

"The former Worcester man charged with murder in connection with the death of Vanessa Marcotte in Princeton in August 2016 is expected to change his plea in Worcester Superior Court Wednesday, according to the Worcester District Attorney’s Office."

While I do not know why the accused has decided to change his plea, it is a relief. It behooves Vanessa's mother and other loved ones from having to listen to testimony regarding the awful things he did to our precious victim, Vanessa. May she rest in eternal peace.

Angelo Colon-Ortiz expected to plead guilty in killing of Vanessa Marcotte, Worcester DA says

as I recall this man had a wife and chikdren too

Acquaintances Of Princeton Murder Suspect Recall Strange And Vulgar Interactions - CBS Boston

and he had a girlfriend present when arrested

Angelo Colon-Ortiz, accused of killing Vanessa Marcotte in ...

https://www.masslive.com › worcester › 2018/12 › angelo...

Dec 24, 2018 — His girlfriend, Rachel Lozada-Vega, had to assist in translating between the Spanish speaker and Colon-Ortiz, the affidavit reads.

so he had a busy life and just thought that he could rape and kill anyone any time? wonder if his DNA shows up any where else

If only the punishment could fit the crime.
I agree Fred, but this is the way I look at it.
I'm not so sure it would have been a slam dunk on the first degree murder charge which would have been a life sentence without parole. The reason I say this is, (and it's all speculation).........
Initially when Ortiz was arraigned in Leominster, he was charged with "assault to rape" That was the last I heard about a rape/attempted rape charge. He was arraigned in Worcester on "first degree murder." I'm not sure if the rape kit showed any of his DNA, and without that, a rape, or attempted rape charge may have been hard to prove.
If someone dies during the commission of a felony, that's "first degree murder." That''s true even if the person dies accidentally. So if he had raped her or attempted to rape her, and she died, he would have got lwop. It may/may not have been hard to prove he "attempted" to rape her. Her shorts were pulled down, but could that have happened during the struggle? There were only two people there, and one is dead. Otherwise, the state would have had to prove he "intended" to kill her before he did in order to obtain a first degree murder charge. If they failed, he may/may not have been found guilty of "second degree murder", which could also carry a life sentence, but with eligibility for parole. He could have been released from prison in ten years. Let's not forget, he may have been found not guilty and walked. So they added the "unarmed robbery" charge and claimed he intended to rob her, took her phone, and she died during the commission of the felony, making the first degree murder charge stronger.
I wouldn't consider 20 years a light sentence for stealing someone's phone unarmed. And with that 20 years being consecutive with the second degree murder charge, he'll be in his mid 70's before he's eligible for parole.
We may never know, but I wonder if they ever found her phone. I know they searched days for evidence in those woods, My guess is they found it and found his DNA on it, proving some animal didn't walk off with it. but once again, it's all just my speculation. Maybe months later he was still in possession of the phone? A trophy?
He admitted to killing her, so it's not like an innocent man is going to prison, and now that he's confessed and no longer assumed innocent, I'll say the animal is where he belongs, and will be for a very long time.

ANGELO COLON-ORTIZ​

Custody Record
GenderMale
MA: Massachusetts Department of Correction
ID NumberW116***
Custody StatusIn Custody
Custody DetailSouza Baranowski Correctional
RECORD DETAILSGET NOTIFIED

Thanks Rocky. My comment was more to the fact that Ortiz will never face the true justice he deserves. He will serve a long time in prison I have no doubt. But he may some day walk out of prison though granted probably as an old man. His life won't be easy but it is life. And with life there's hope. Murders are released from prison daily. No one dies of old age in prison.

There's so many questions that won't be answered now that there won't be a trial. Who is Angelo Colon-Ortiz? Where did he come from? What was he doing here? Why was he in Princeton on a Sunday afternoon? Now we will never know.

ANGELO COLON-ORTIZ​

Custody Record
GenderMale
MA: Massachusetts Department of Correction
ID NumberW116***
Custody StatusIn Custody
Custody DetailSouza Baranowski Correctional
RECORD DETAILSGET NOTIFIED
This is protocol. Any convicted criminals entering the DOC system in Massachusetts goes here first. He may stay here, or be transfered once he is processed.

There's so many questions that won't be answered now that there won't be a trial. Who is Angelo Colon-Ortiz? Where did he come from? What was he doing here? Why was he in Princeton on a Sunday afternoon? Now we will never know.
I agree. So many questions.
One thing I will say is IMO, the main reason he was is Princeton on that Sunday was not the intent to rob Vanessa. She was walking/jogging with running shorts and a training bra. I doubt he thought her pockets were lined with money. She was single, therefore wasn't wearing an engagement ring. He was seen by witnesses talking on his cell phone, so I doubt his main intention was to steal her phone out of desperation.
IMO, the reason he took her phone was because either he wanted a trophy, or she snapped a picture of him.
I believe the "unarmed robbery" charge was trumped up in order to make the first degree murder charge stick, but once again, we'll never know.

ANGELO COLON-ORTIZ​

Custody Record
GenderMale
Registration disabled

RECORD DETAILS
GET NOTIFIED
ID NumberW116***
Custody Status Date Jan 09, 2023 03:23 PM EST
Custody StatusIn Custody
Custody Detail NCCI Gardner

500 Colony Road
Gardner, MA 01440
(978) 630-6000

Why minimum security prison? What is life like in NCCI Gardner?

ANGELO COLON-ORTIZ​

Custody Record
GenderMale
Registration disabled

RECORD DETAILS
GET NOTIFIED
ID NumberW116***
Custody Status Date Jan 09, 2023 03:23 PM EST
Custody StatusIn Custody
Custody Detail NCCI Gardner

500 Colony Road
Gardner, MA 01440
(978) 630-6000

Why minimum security prison? What is life like in NCCI Gardner?
It’s medium/minimum. I can’t imagine he’s in minimum, unless they want another sexually motivated murder on their hands.

He should be in Walpole.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500