Canada - Homeless Man, Ken Lee, Stabbed to Death by 8 Teen Girls in "Swarming Attack", Toronto, Dec 2022

Totally agree. We’re stuck with the Young Offenders Act until someone wakes up and abolishes it.
Our entire judicial system needs an overhaul, not just the YOA. These girls shouldn't be allowed out on bail, given the violent crime they committed. Look at that OPP Officer that was murdered because a violent offender was out on bail and didn't show up for his court date:mad:

Our entire judicial system needs an overhaul, not just the YOA. These girls shouldn't be allowed out on bail, given the violent crime they committed. Look at that OPP Officer that was murdered because a violent offender was out on bail and didn't show up for his court date:mad:
I couldn’t agree more. If these girls get a little baby slap on the wrist, I’ll be more livid than I already am. They don’t even deserve the comforts of Syl Apps Centre. And don’t get me started the deaths of LE. :mad:

Poor man was savaged, imo.
rbbm
''Ken Lee was murdered defending the woman he loved. ''
''Now Lee’s friends and family are explaining the 59-year-old Richmond Hill man was more than the helpless indigent victim waiting to be attacked on a park bench as they feel is the popular narrative.

And they want the record set straight. ''

''In fact, his friend Erica told reporters after the Dec. 18 murder on York Street that the teens were after her bottle of alcohol and other property and Ken tried to stop them. It cost him his life. He was stabbed multiple times but no one knew at first. ''

''Erica was more than an acquaintance. People who live at the Strathcona Hotel, which has been repurposed into a homeless shelter, told me that while their relationship was complicated, Erica and Ken were often inseparable. ''

'Witnesses told me that they were trying to talk to him for many minutes before they took his shirt off and saw the punctures. Soon there was blood all over the sidewalk. An hour later at another incident the girls were arrested. There were also earlier reports of feral-type behaviour. ''

But what is known is this incident is being investigated by Toronto Police as “wilding” in which a group is summoned on social media to head out and create scenes that can be uploaded online for entertainment value. ''

Poor man was savaged, imo.
rbbm
''Ken Lee was murdered defending the woman he loved. ''
''Now Lee’s friends and family are explaining the 59-year-old Richmond Hill man was more than the helpless indigent victim waiting to be attacked on a park bench as they feel is the popular narrative.

And they want the record set straight. ''

''In fact, his friend Erica told reporters after the Dec. 18 murder on York Street that the teens were after her bottle of alcohol and other property and Ken tried to stop them. It cost him his life. He was stabbed multiple times but no one knew at first. ''

''Erica was more than an acquaintance. People who live at the Strathcona Hotel, which has been repurposed into a homeless shelter, told me that while their relationship was complicated, Erica and Ken were often inseparable. ''

'Witnesses told me that they were trying to talk to him for many minutes before they took his shirt off and saw the punctures. Soon there was blood all over the sidewalk. An hour later at another incident the girls were arrested. There were also earlier reports of feral-type behaviour. ''

But what is known is this incident is being investigated by Toronto Police as “wilding” in which a group is summoned on social media to head out and create scenes that can be uploaded online for entertainment value. ''

From the article above BBM
There were also earlier reports of feral-type behaviour. ''

That is some charged language... wow

All personal speculation:

This is so disgusting that it is truly unbelievable to me.

I can't help but think of how... I have often thought lately that parents really need to be monitoring their kids' activities online. I know people say that, it's cliche at this point, but it's so out of hand now it's hard to put words to it even

There's entire online "trends" dedicated to getting kids to do bad stuff (I know this is vague, but there's a large variety). In my own head, I do hold their parents accountable - I feel like many parents are just grateful for the "break" they get when their kids are absorbed in screens, but it's so incredibly unhealthy and becoming increasingly more dangerous.

Naturally I'm not talking about every kid or every parent or even MOST for that matter. But for kids with mental health issues or aggression issues or abandonment issues... social media is like a portal to additional trauma, permanent life decisions due to "peer" (could be a 60 year old man in Hawaii, they have no idea) pressure, etc. These girls all met eachother on social media and formed some sort of evil group mentality. I bet their parents had NO idea what their kids were up to.

My partner's sister is 13 and I try to encourage their mom to put parental locks on things because I have seen glimpses here and there of things she's doing (message notifications when she's trying to show me a TikTok etc) that are super alarming in a grooming sense, and I seem to be the only one taking it so seriously. It genuinely freaks me out. Like a... reminds me of Alicia Navarro-level of a situation. So not only do we have to worry about things like this, but now kids with anger, rage, aggression, or just issues with being vulnerable and easy to manipulate, KILLING people in the streets? This is insane...

Jan 11 2023 rbbm
''Toronto police investigators are asking for the public's help in tracking down anyone who was assaulted by a group of teenage girls on Line 1 of the TTC back in December.

In a news release issued Wednesday, police said that between the hours of 10 p.m. and 12 a.m. on Dec. 17, a group of eight to 10 teenage girls randomly assaulted several people.

These alleged assaults occurred on the TTC at Queen's Park, St. Patrick, Osgoode, St. Andrew and Union stations.

"Officers are urging anyone who may have been a victim to come forward and speak with investigators," the news release reads.

The general area, date and time of the incidents lines up with the death of 59-year-old Ken Lee, who was killed near Union Station in an alleged "swarming" attack by eight teenage girls in Toronto last month.''

52 Division
Case #: 2023-64012
January 11, 2023
The Toronto Police Service is seeking the public's assistance locating victims who were assaulted along the TTC Line 1.
It is reported that:
  • on Saturday, December 17, 2022, between the hours of 10 p.m. and 12 a.m., a group of 8-10 teenage girls randomly assaulted several people
  • the assaults occurred on TTC line 1 at Queen's Park, St. Patrick, Osgoode, St. Andrew and Union Stations.
Officers are urging anyone who may have been a victim to come forward and speak with investigators.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-5200, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), or at www.222tips.com.''

Snipped...
...The TTC has security cameras throughout the subway system, on trains as well as in stations. The agency normally deletes surveillance footage after 72 hours, in accordance with Ontario privacy commissioner guidance intended to strike a balance between adequate security measures and privacy rights.

The footage can be retained longer if it is required for a police or transit agency investigation, however. To access the footage, investigators would need to request it within the 72-hour period.

TTC spokesperson Stuart Green declined to answer questions about the Dec. 17 incidents, including whether the police or transit agency have access to footage of the alleged attacks. He said he couldn’t comment on an active police investigation, and referred questions to the police.

ETA: snip

Last edited:
I'm kind of appalled that reports are using the term "wilding" to describe such a heinous crime! Feral is an understatement IMO.

It minimizes the seriousness by using slang to explain what happened as a "trend".

At first I was kind of waiting to hear that the man had assaulted one of the girls or that the girls had some kind of backstory for what they did. Not to make excuses but I really thought there would be more to the story.

Knowing how senseless this was, how young the perpetrators were, how organized they were and their shared mentality, it's scary to think what these young women will turn into. Especially considering they are entering the criminal justice system at such an early age.

Mr Lee gave his life to protect someone he cared about. That says so much about the kind of person he was. Wondering if his family have been contacted and if there will be any kind of memorial? It would be nice if people could send condolences somewhere.

''Jan. 12, 2023 rbbm.
Violent crime committed by teenagers could be increasing in Canada's most populous city due to pandemic isolation and the influences of social media, experts say, as Toronto police investigate a string of assaults allegedly committed by teen girls.
Police said this week that a group of up to 10 teen girls allegedly assaulted several people at random at downtown Toronto subway stations on Dec. 17. Investigators have not confirmed whether the group is the same one that allegedly stabbed a homeless man who later died in hospital – those teens congregated after meeting on social media, police said.
Experts say attacks involving groups of girls are extremely rare but violence among young people might be on the rise.''

''Ardavan Eizadirad, an assistant professor at Wilfrid Laurier University, said recent data from Toronto police suggests more young people are becoming involved in violent criminal behaviour.''

''Flores said the rates of crime among teenagers are generally hard to measure, due to privacy laws that protect young people in Canada.

He said young people may get involved with non-violent offences or drug related offences but it's unusual to have an underage child committing a violent crime like murder in Canada.''

Dec 2022
''$10,000.
That’s how much Toronto police believe a young teen can get for stealing a luxury car at gunpoint and handing it over to adult criminals who then strip the vehicles of any identifiers and, often, ship them overseas.
That astronomical sum — for teens, at least — may help explain why this city is seeing a “staggering” rise in carjackings and other armed robberies involving youth, the head of the force’s hold-up squad said in a rare year-end interview with the Star.''

It’s a bit too easy to blame violence on the pandemic, in my opinion. I think young people just know they can commit crimes and not much will be done about it.

The carjackings are also due to the lenient laws. The big guys recruit young people to carjack again knowing there will be very little consequences. Until the laws are changed, nothing will change. MOO

In North Philadelphia, Pennsylvania James Lambert, 73, was beaten with a traffic cone by young teens.
Pa. law mandates teens in the North Philly beating death be charged as adults
''GM 14, faces third-degree murder and conspiracy charges for the traffic cone beating death of James Lambert Jr. She is the second 14-year-old charged in the case. (Philadelphia Police Department)''
<modsnip - removed full name and picture>

Last edited by a moderator:
YES, "charged as adults". In Ontario I have been waiting for such a change to happen in our laws but I'm rapidly losing faith. Sadly.
Young offenders can be tried as adults in Ontario. I believe sentencing/probation/parole is different as young offenders cannot be placed into corrections alongside adults. It's the same for youth in the mental health system. Once they reach 18 they're either transferred to an adult institution or the province essentially washes their hands of it.

The systems are overburdened, understaffed and ill equipped to handle the volume of cases. Not to mention those who are working through rehabilitation or are seeking support of their own volition. Even then, there are all kinds of poorly trained, uneducated people working within these systems (some simply there to exploit). Their inability to provide support undermines anything being done by their peers. It's a one step forward, two steps back kind of setup :confused:

Canada does have the Young Offenders Act that treats youthful perps in a more lenient manner but it doesn't preclude charging a youth as an adult, especially in this type of case. Because the ages of the perps include 16 year olds there is a possibility they could be tried as an adult. I wouldn't hold my breath though, especially if you find out the ringleader that organized this outing was one of the 13 or 14 year old girls.

Children who are left to their own devices do have a tendency to get into trouble. A lot of those kids are from low income homes where perhaps there is only on parent who works long hours to make ends meet. So many of these kids are vulnerable to influences outside the home due to peer pressure, the lure of drug dealing for money, and theft rings. Unfortunately, low income is usually twinned with minority groups so it's a double whammy for those folks dealing with societal judgements who try their damnedest to dig themselves out of that downward spiral.

But this, a group of young girls who decided to go out and look for a victim to attack is on a whole other level.

You'd like to believe that this type of behavior is only income based - absent parents desperately trying to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table working long hours but even well off kids get involved in criminal behavior if their parents are self absorbed. A very good friend of mine has a relative who has been involved with assault with a deadly weapon, breaking into vet offices to steal ketamine and selling it, and all sorts of behavior that is very scary. He's smart, good looking and charming and can wind his parents and grandparents around his little finger. Heartfelt apologies seem to go a long way in that family. I don't see a positive trajectory for that kid. If he did something like this they'd be on the bandwagon lamenting his youth and lack of a future if convicted as an adult.

Canada does have the Young Offenders Act that treats youthful perps in a more lenient manner but it doesn't preclude charging a youth as an adult, especially in this type of case. Because the ages of the perps include 16 year olds there is a possibility they could be tried as an adult. I wouldn't hold my breath though, especially if you find out the ringleader that organized this outing was one of the 13 or 14 year old girls.

Children who are left to their own devices do have a tendency to get into trouble. A lot of those kids are from low income homes where perhaps there is only on parent who works long hours to make ends meet. So many of these kids are vulnerable to influences outside the home due to peer pressure, the lure of drug dealing for money, and theft rings. Unfortunately, low income is usually twinned with minority groups so it's a double whammy for those folks dealing with societal judgements who try their damnedest to dig themselves out of that downward spiral.

But this, a group of young girls who decided to go out and look for a victim to attack is on a whole other level.

You'd like to believe that this type of behavior is only income based - absent parents desperately trying to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table working long hours but even well off kids get involved in criminal behavior if their parents are self absorbed. A very good friend of mine has a relative who has been involved with assault with a deadly weapon, breaking into vet offices to steal ketamine and selling it, and all sorts of behavior that is very scary. He's smart, good looking and charming and can wind his parents and grandparents around his little finger. Heartfelt apologies seem to go a long way in that family. I don't see a positive trajectory for that kid. If he did something like this they'd be on the bandwagon lamenting his youth and lack of a future if convicted as an adult.
RBBM I was literally just reading an article about somatic narcissism earlier today lol! Also, yikes to breaking into the vet to steal ketamine. Sounds very toxic and enabling. Some people are sick and almost nobody notices.

It seems in this case economic background played a role insomuch that they targeted a homeless person. For as many trouble makers that come from low income families, there are also good kids who are responsible and stay away from trouble. *Not to mention the wealthy kids from money with no supervision and their parents credit card, those ones get away with everything don't they?

Several years ago I volunteered at an afterschool group for young girls. It was in reality, a way to keep them from falling into the wrong crowd, to prevent them from being lured and to keep them from doing things like ganging up on homeless people and "going viral" :mad:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert
Back