MA - Lindsay Clancy, Strangled 3 Children in Murder/Suicide Attempt, Duxbury, Jan 2023

Since all of these are prescription drugs the attorney will be able to show (or not) when they were prescribed, how, and by whom. I would think he already has seen the records from the husband in order to make claims like this.

I think it does show that she was trying to get herself help. It will be interesting to see what is in the doctor notes from her visits. If she repeatedly talked about these types of thoughts, or being afraid to harm her children or herself, what could have been done differently?

It also sounds like they are setting up a malpractice / wrongful death claim against her providers.

110% on the medmal IMO.

I know who her defense lawyer is. Huge money which the family does have now. for her husband thankfully for him for everything he needs and will need. I live in the area and have known him /about him as well for decades. NOTHING will go unturned. Kevin Reddington.

Andrea will spend her life in a mental ward.
Interestingly, Yates is eligible to request an annual review to be discharged now. She waives her right to the review every year.

Some of those drugs or combination of them can make you off your rocker. That's a whole lot of benzos as well. I don't think you can even get prescriptions for Ativan, Klonopin, Valium, etc., at the same time these days. It's so closely regulated and like pharmacy systems tied together so you can't get prescriptions filled at different places, etc.

I've taken Mirtazipine to sleep and it has a helped. Years ago, Klonopin made me absolutely nothing like myself and if I ever took even more than slightly the prescribed dose (like 1.5-2mg instead of .5 for example), its made irrationally angry, screaming, rage, like not even myself on it. High as a kite on benzos. Enough to "sound" with it, but I had no idea what I was doing. Plus total lapses of memory. I never did anything that hurt anyone on it, but I will never touch that drug again. I have no memory of calls I made, texts I sent. Or sort of made sense, but filled with typos and errors or something that didn't quite make sense. Or I sent emails of pure gibberish.The scary part of Klonopin to me is that I *thought* I was fine on it. Like if I were to drink too much, I knew when I was tipsy, buzzed, drunk, whatever. With benzos I thought I was totally with it when in reality I was not myself at all and like a totally different person. It was horrifying. I screamed at my husband over things that made no sense. I was not myself on it. It made me sound like a possessed devil. I stopped it cold turkey, which you aren't supposed to do, and never touched it again.

All of this makes me wonder if LC was taking the drugs exactly as prescribed, which is an absolute travesty if doctors were playing around that much with with so many of such intense prescriptive drugs in a relatively short time frame. And probably playing around with doses as well, increasing, etc which can take several months to fully see any changes. Prozac can also blunt emotions sooooo much that you can feel like a zombie, so then they try to add in other stuff to negate that.

Or could she possibly have had various prescriptions from the past twelve months and had a bad day, and just taken handfuls of whatever she had around her, and it made her act in ways that just weren't her?

The whole situation is just awful. She clearly was suffering from some sort of depression, anxiety, post partum, something, tried to seek help, and then got put on a ton of drugs, whether taken as prescribed or even if abused, but it did something to her. Is it still criminal? Possibly. Part of me though still felt terrible to read she couldn't even see her parents.

I honestly don't think any legal sentence there is will be worse than what's going on in her own head, then, now, what's coming when/if full awareness kicks in.

I was perplexed at that suggestion as well, unless perhaps he was thinking here let me give the judge 3 options, knowing one is crazy-talk, so maybe they’ll go for one of the other two?

I can’t imagine her being safe from harming herself with her parents, though I honestly hope if it’s her wish to die, that she finds a way to be successful. I cannot imagine living with what she’s done.
Isn't Lindsay's Mom a nurse also? Pretty sure I saw that somewhere.

<modsnip: information posted as fact with no supporting link>
Why was she not in an inpatient psych unit when physicians were trialing her medications?
Other countries have MBUs (Mother & Baby Units) where the mom can be treated as a psychiatric inpatient and still see their baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly, Yates is eligible to request an annual review to be discharged now. She waives her right to the review every year.

Curious, I wonder why she does that?

Her lawyer has stayed in touch with her and said that she grieves pretty heavily for her kids now. According to him, she recognizes it's where she needs to be.

I imagine the speculation on here that no punishment in the world will equal what LC will feel after her symptoms pass and she comes back to herself and realizes what she has done is perhaps relevant to explaining Yates's decision to not seek release. MOO

Based on what Lindsay's attorney is saying regarding the drugs she was prescribed - I'd like to hear from our medical professionals. Does this sound right or is the attorney overstating in hopes of keeping Lindsay out of jail until trial? Link for reference.
Not a medical professional (some good commentary already here) and my experience only... but had a family member in mental health crisis and they cycled through at least this many drugs, including many on this list. It's hard to find the right combination. My family member was taking 3 or 4 meds at a time for reference.

I don't think it is that unusual to try out different combos, the time frame is pretty compressed here but the meds were not all taken together. My family situation was a longer period of time (6-9 months I believe) but clearly LC was in a serious deep crisis, the doctors were doing their best to stabilize her.
MOO / my experience only

Perinatal Psychiatry Inpatient Unit : UNC-Chapel Hill

"The unit was established in June 2011 and is the first of its kind in the United States. It includes 5 patient beds (private and semi-private). Infants are encouraged to visit for as long as possible, but may not stay overnight. Protected sleep times for the mothers are extremely important for recovery.

Our treatment team is comprised of highly trained doctors, nurses, psychologists, social workers, and other therapists that work together to create individualized treatment plans. We provide comprehensive assessment and treatment, including medication stabilization and a vast range of individual and group therapies as appropriate. Our goal is to provide a supportive environment to assist in the recovery from perinatal psychiatric illness. This locked-psychiatric unit is accredited by the Joint Commission and follows their safety standards."

Three possibilities I can think of.

She feels like she deserves it. It's not complicated.

Everyone in that place knows her and understands her condition. The outside world is far more hostile.

Also, institutionalisation is a thing. It's why a lot of folks who've done hard time commit a petty offence within months of release. Outside is too chaotic. A prison, a psych ward, or the military, for that matter, have structure. Some folks can't adjust, or know they won't be able to.

MOO

Last edited:
Everyone in that place knows her and understands her condition. The outside world is far more hostile.

Also, institutionalisation is a thing. It's why a lot if folks who've done hard time commit a petty offence within months of release. Outside is too chaotic. A prison, a psych ward, or the military, for that matter, have structure. Some folks can't adjust, or know they won't be able to.
Yes her attorney also said quite directly "Where would she go? What would would she do?" if she got out. She's nearing 60 and has been locked up for over 20 years at this point. I'm sure it would be a really hard adjustment for her if she was released, and there's no guarantee it would be a positive one. MOO

Yes her attorney also said quite directly "Where would she go? What would would she do?" if she got out. She's nearing 60 and has been locked up for over 20 years at this point. I'm sure it would be a really hard adjustment for her if she was released, and there's no guarantee it would be a positive one. MOO
She's made a life for herself in there, as alien as it sounds to people on the outside.

All IMHO
All I needed to read was Ambien. Ugh. Poor Lindsay should NEVER have been prescribed this.

This happened to a dear acquaintance of mine. Similar in a way- her husband went nuts and the son couldn’t wake him up/ get through to him. He just kept stabbing himself in the chest after the son stopped him from killing his wife. Horrific. He had never, ever been violent before taking this drug.

I think Ambien is SO scary, I’ve read about other horrible incidents occurring on this medication. I’m honestly surprised it is still on the market.

Isn't Lindsay's Mom a nurse also? Pretty sure I saw that somewhere.
It's the MIL, not the mom. There is a public post/video of the two of them giving a video together from a few years ago at their workplace.

110% on the medmal IMO.
We don't really have all the details yet, but with what we do know - Lindsay had 10 different meds in her tox screen & husband was not told she couldn't be left alone with the kids, etc. IYO, is it warranted?

@Alethea, same question posted to you if you care to offer an opinion.

All IMHO
All I needed to read was Ambien. Ugh. Poor Lindsay should NEVER have been prescribed this.

This happened to a dear acquaintance of mine. Similar in a way- her husband went nuts and the son couldn’t wake him up/ get through to him. He just kept stabbing himself in the chest after the son stopped him from killing his wife. Horrific. He had never, ever been violent before taking this drug.

I think Ambien is SO scary, I’ve read about other horrible incidents occurring on this medication. I’m honestly surprised it is still on the market.

Yeah, scared the crap out of me when we found out my MIL had been prescribed it and not warned AT ALL about all the well documented side effects. We made her promise not to take any more, and bought her some melatonin instead, which worked like a charm for her and doesn't have a terrifying body count behind it.

A Massachusetts judge will allow forensic psychiatrist to evaluate Lindsay Clancy, a Duxbury mother who has been accused of strangling her three children last month, Clancy's attorney told Fox News Digital.

Kevin Reddington, a defense lawyer representing Clancy, sent Fox News Digital a text after Friday afternoon's emergency court appearance that the judge granted his motion.

The update in court followed a Boston Globe report where Reddington said Clancy had been overmedicated.

He told the news outlet that he hired a toxicologist to review the strength of the dosages, the number of doses prescribed and how the medications interacted with each other.

"One of the major issues here is the horrific overmedication of drugs that caused homicidal ideation, suicidal ideation," Reddington told the Boston Globe. "They [Lindsay and her husband Patrick] went to doctors repeatedly saying, ‘Please help us.’ This was turning her into a zombie... the medications that were prescribed were over the top, absolutely over the top."

Attorney Kevin Reddington asserted that his client was overmedicated and was taking a dozen medications at the time of the incident.

"This continued even up until the week before when her husband went to the doctor and asked her for help and said, 'Please, you're turning her into a zombie,'" the attorney said.

He argued in court that an evaluation by a doctor of their choice, psychologist Dr. Paul Zeizel, would be protected by her constitutional rights and said the district attorney's office had denied a previous request citing security rules.

After Friday's hearing, Reddington told NewsCenter 5 he plans to argue that Lindsay Clancy lacks criminal responsibility because she was involuntarily intoxicated.

"The drugs that she was given, one on top of another, for an extended period of time, obviously not having any helpful effect," he said.

"I like to think of this case as being justice for Lindsay as well," Reddington added.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back