Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #3

I'm pretty sure they are not talking about WS. We aren't social media. Plus we actually have terms of service here; we don't arbitrarily accuse everyone and sundry of murder or abduction, do character assassinations on various individuals close to the investigation. It's all the gonzo individuals who are trying to make a name for themselves on X, TikTok and YT who he's probably referring to. It's the wild west out there. Sending people on wild goose chases, interfering with legitimate search groups and generally muddying the waters with wild theories and accusations which only adds to the stress and worry of the parents. Their son is probably deceased and people are treating this as the next Pokemon challenge.
Really, I haven't seen or heard of any of that. I don't use those aps. IT is a shame that people act that way, but I really don't think the family should be on those aps either. And if it is someone packing those rumors back to the family, then shame on them too.

After all that time in the water, would they still be able to tell if he had been drugged (roofied) ?
If you look for my earlier post, I address this and post a link to toxicology info. They *might* be able to determine this, but they would have to look very specifically for it and be supremely careful in their methodology.

I'm hearing that Riley was found with his shirt on, despite the extensive NewsNation coverage of a homeless man wearing it.

I'm growing frustrated with TV host Ashleigh Banfield putting out misinformation. She and NewsNation need to be called out on this.
When following cases at Websleuth I have learned to only trust information from law enforcement press conferences, or press releases. Main stream media is sloppy these days, and social media spreads false information fast.

Rip Riley, you have touched people all across the world, myself included. I would venture to guess that Riley would not want his friends blamed or vilified. The same grace given to Riley for his mistakes that night should apply to the friends as well. Prayers for comfort and healing to Riley 's family and friends.

Yeah. I think it was clothing (shirt, maybe boots) height, and the fact that he was wearing an Apple Watch. There’s a chance his wallet was still in his pocket too.

I don’t think I’ve seen an ID that fast before. I’ve seen a preliminary ID on occasion, but not something that definitive.
They knew they were looking for a 6’ 7” blonde. Probably pretty distinct/

This article includes an informative video by police and CBS.

CBS News - Updated 3/22/24 - 1:50 PM EDT

Body of missing University of Missouri student Riley Strain found in river in West Nashville​

From your link:
They had over 200 tips they were working through.
They removed something from the river and as they moved it, they noticed Mr. Strain and called it in," Drake said. The police chief said that officers had planned to search this area of the river today, noting that because of Strain's height and weight it was believed his body could be surfacing in the area soon

Riley Strain's drowning is the surreal nightmare we feared after tracing his path, step by step, as cctv and the cop cam was released to the public. There was one strong possibility over these two weeks, since March 8 but we held hope. His family is aching today and for always but they may find comfort in that his soul is resting in paradise without them, waiting. May life go easy and be extra kind for Riley's agonizing mom cause, man, her raw emotion comes from a crushed heart.
I like NewsNation but not sensationalized queries to sensitive parents. Riley was wearing his cool color blocked shirt similar to a Garth Brooks style while boot-scooting around in Nashville.
But, it's an awful way to die in the Cumberland River. What was the water's temperature? Around 65 degrees? That'd be a shock to one's system right there. Do we know how much light that area has at night at the wooden railing around 10pm? Is the 30' drop off into the river true? Was Riley in the dark? There were a few street lights where the 5 scooters entered. AMOO
Your mention of all of the surveillance footage leads me to want to add how grateful I am for it. Some may feel uneasy about being watched and recorded. I say that for me, I am 1,000% okay with it. Can we imagine what would have transpired if those cameras didn’t exist? Not just in Riley’s situation but in countless others. They would have had him leaving the bar and perhaps no other clues to go on but some word of mouth comments of sightings. They’d probably still be looking for him in that immediate area. And possibly having his case go cold, forever. How horrible!

I realize that the the employees of the facility where he was found located him while checking the water during their normal routines, but my point is that the initial focus would have been impossibly vague - instead, they were able to trace his route best as possible and in the end, they were correct about it. I wish more cameras were active in all areas for this reason.

Your mention of all of the surveillance footage leads me to want to add how grateful I am for it. Some may feel uneasy about being watched and recorded. I say that for me, I am 1,000% okay with it. Can we imagine what would have transpired if those cameras didn’t exist? Not just in Riley’s situation but in countless others. They would have had him leaving the bar and perhaps no other clues to go on but some word of mouth comments of sightings. They’d probably still be looking for him in that immediate area. And possibly having his case go cold, forever. How horrible!

I realize that the the employees of the facility where he was found located him while checking the water during their normal routines, but my point is that the initial focus would have been impossibly vague - instead, they were able to trace his route best as possible and in the end, they were correct about it. I wish more cameras were active in all areas for this reason.
Absolutely excellent point by @JerseyWasHome2 and I couldn’t agree more. Facts - and video - are our friends.

I've seen barriers that high in areas around the Grand Canyon. If someone wanted to they could step over them and peer over the rim. Insane, but I've seen it with my own eyes which turned my legs to jelly just watching them.

It's not feasible to create barriers around everything. At some point in time, if warnings and barriers and fencing don't stop individuals from ignoring them, what are you supposed to do?

I'm thankful the bar shared the inside video footage with Riley's family so they understand the full situation that happened two weeks ago. It sounds like LE shared additional outside video with them too. I hope they can find peace... After a long upcoming grieving process.
I couldn't imagine. I'm getting ready to send my 17 year old to Germany for 10 days (with schoolmates and teachers). You're always worried about your child - but sometimes you have to let them go and be free....I'm proud and terrified at the same time.

I hope his friends find peace too. Obviously, nobody meant for anything bad to happen. I've tried to stop a friend from drinking and driving and it failed, but turned out fine. I've had friends say, "i don't care what you think, I'm going with 'xyz' to wherever" ...and everything turned out fine. It's just a terrible tragedy. In all honesty, I don't think calling 911 when they got back would have made a difference, except he would have been found sooner :(

Sorry I went off on a soapbox on your reply, I just reread my comment and it sounded cold towards his friends, and I didn't mean it that way.

That is a good point. As you said, usually its either the whole group gets booted.

Or, a more sober group member accepts a warning on behalf of the main offender and apologizes. Even a brief apology is still an apology and often accepted- nobody likes booting paying customers. They then..... "redirect" the main violator back into the zone of controlled fun. Thus, everyone is allowed to stay.

I am thinking that perhaps the Fraternity was starting to fragment early on. Thus, Ryan might not of been immediately connected to the group. Say....

- Some members who do not want a heavy drinking experience start to drift off in smaller groups to other places.
- Some of the more skilled and/ or daring head to the dance floor.
- Some, sit as a group at a main table or tables and continue celebrating.
- Ryan wanders off a little. Commits a conduct violation and gets booted. As he was not immediately with his group, the violation is on him alone.
Riley.

Yeah. I think it was clothing (shirt, maybe boots) height, and the fact that he was wearing an Apple Watch. There’s a chance his wallet was still in his pocket too.

I don’t think I’ve seen an ID that fast before. I’ve seen a preliminary ID on occasion, but not something that definitive.
I almost wonder if a family member was on scene and provided confirmation of ID before he was taken away. A video shared upthread today that I recall was a helicopter flying over, appeared to have many people standing around what looked like a body bag on the ground when they zoomed in for a few seconds. At least one person was bent over looking at it. As awful as it sounds, sometimes family members want to look themselves. JMO

I've been rewatching that footage of him running and then triiping. He seems to be running fine. He's obviously not so fine after he stands up. I'm thinking that he may have suffered a critical head injury such as a severe concussion when he tripped. That could also explain his seeming drunkeness in footage.

Riley, although the end is not what we wished and hoped for, I am glad that you have been found; that is a small piece of comfort and closure.

the drunkeness video came before the trip & fall video

I almost wonder if a family member was on scene and provided confirmation of ID before he was taken away. A video shared upthread today that I recall was a helicopter flying over, appeared to have many people standing around what looked like a body bag on the ground when they zoomed in for a few seconds. At least one person was bent over looking at it. As awful as it sounds, sometimes family members want to look themselves. JMO
I suspect his father was there — the police probably called him when they were called. Riley’s father had been out on the boats with search crews and I saw him interviewed on the water. He said he was out there because he wanted to be there when they found Riley. (Sorry I don’t have a source but it was local TV coverage the day they went to the dam.)

I suspect his father was there — the police probably called him when they were called. Riley’s father had been out on the boats with search crews and I saw him interviewed on the water. He said he was out there because he wanted to be there when they found Riley. (Sorry I don’t have a source but it was local TV coverage the day they went to the dam.)
Yes, he did say that. I shared a video on a post about it yesterday myself.

Rest peacefully, Riley.

g10042.gif

I've been rewatching that footage of him running and then triiping. He seems to be running fine. He's obviously not so fine after he stands up. I'm thinking that he may have suffered a critical head injury such as a severe concussion when he tripped. That could also explain his seeming drunkeness in footage.

Riley, although the end is not what we wished and hoped for, I am glad that you have been found; that is a small piece of comfort and closure.
I wondered about possible head injuries as well. He could have developed a slow brain bleed, which can lead to loss of consciousness, not necessarily immediately afterward, but can happen hours or even days after the injury. If so, the autopsy will find it.

Really, I haven't seen or heard of any of that. I don't use those aps. IT is a shame that people act that way, but I really don't think the family should be on those aps either. And if it is someone packing those rumors back to the family, then shame on them too.

why should the family not be on those apps?
social media good qualities too
such as the ladies who found Riley's bank card were livestreaming on their tiktok channel

Last edited:
When following cases at Websleuth I have learned to only trust information from law enforcement press conferences, or press releases. Main stream media is sloppy these days, and social media spreads false information fast.

Rip Riley, you have touched people all across the world, myself included. I would venture to guess that Riley would not want his friends blamed or vilified. The same grace given to Riley for his mistakes that night should apply to the friends as well. Prayers for comfort and healing to Riley 's family and friends.

[bbm]

yeah it's disheartening to see them blamed for anything, esp when we haven't heard from them at all
I'm sure a lot of people wish they had that night to do over

Last edited:
Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member