Henry "Cab" Tice

Tice calling LPG Jr at 7:15pm could also of been a preplanned signal/coded message, right?

Example 1) The message Tice left could say: I fixed my computer and it's working great now, thanks.

Code for: All camera's are shut down.

Example 2) The message Tice left could say: Having trouble need your help, working on my computer.

Code for: Having trouble shutting off cameras, cameras still working.

Criminals/drug dealers use coded words all day long on the streets or by phone.The stupid ones use the same code words over and over again making them useless, as in, is Mary Jane there (pot) or, it's Snowing (cocaine), etc...
Oooh, brilliant deduction (sincerity intended).

It is not the call that bothers me. But first he said he was not suspicious of Gonzalez, yet he called the police to say that Gonzalez did not return his call.

He did not take the time to discuss the murder with Gonzalez when he called? Yet, he called the police to report that one of his closest friends did not return a call?

Think if you were in his shoes. would you do any of that stuff? Wouldn't you ask your friend first to see what his reaction would be? Wouldn't you want more information before calling the police on your friend?

I'm sure I'd be scared to death if I were in his shoes. No telling what I'd do.

Without knowing what was said in the calls we could speculate all kinds of things. How do we know he didn't discuss the murder? Because a car salesman told us they didn't? Uh huh. Maybe they didn't discuss the murder and Tice and Jr. are close enough that Tice knew Jr.did it just on gut feeling. Maybe they did discuss the murder and JR told Tice flat out he did it.
Maybe Tice didn't want to come right out and say he was suspicious for fear of the others that may be involved coming after him.While at the same he was upset about the killings and wanted to at least put Jr. out there for the Sheriff in some way.

I'm thinking this is a possibility.
Suppose Tice knew absolutely nothing about the planned robbery. However, he had discussed the money at the Billings' home with Jr.while they were out getting drunk. Tice calls Jr. and Jr. doesn't call back. Next day the murders are all over the news. Tice's thinkin, " Damn, wonder if Jr. did that?" How do I go about not gettin dragged into all this?

I'm sure I'd be scared to death if I were in his shoes. No telling what I'd do.

Without knowing what was said in the calls we could speculate all kinds of things. How do we know he didn't discuss the murder? Because a car salesman told us they didn't? Uh huh. Maybe they didn't discuss the murder and Tice and Jr. are close enough that Tice knew Jr.did it just on gut feeling. Maybe they did discuss the murder and JR told Tice flat out he did it.
Maybe Tice didn't want to come right out and say he was suspicious for fear of the others that may be involved coming after him.While at the same he was upset about the killings and wanted to at least put Jr. out there for the Sheriff in some way.

I'm thinking this is a possibility.
Suppose Tice knew absolutely nothing about the planned robbery. However, he had discussed the money at the Billings' home with Jr.while they were out getting drunk. Tice calls Jr. and Jr. doesn't call back. Next day the murders are all over the news. Tice's thinkin, " Damn, wonder if Jr. did that?" How do I go about not gettin dragged into all this?

Tice is using a sales technique to convince the buyer that he is open and honest, sort of a pre-emptive strike. Goes something like this:

Imagine you are at a used car lot, you are interested in a car, but have not quite reached the decision to buy. The salesman says "Look don't tell the manager this, he would kill me. The brakes on that car are shot. It will cost you $500 to replace them. I am going to knock $1000 off the price for your costs and trouble." You think, damn, I would never have known about the brakes. This guy has saved me a bundle. But the salesman did not tell you that the engine is also shot and the transmission is on its last legs. In fact, the car is a dog. But by showing you his honesty and openess for part of the story, you accept that he is being honest and open and you do not question the rest of the story.

Tice did this by agreeing to do the interviews. It is so unusual for a suspect to talk off-script. But Tice is a Pro. He sells for a living and his abilities show. For most of the interview he is very open and very honest, so we want to accept his story. However, if you watch closely you will see little slip-ups like the phone call. There are others there too, but IMO the phone call is the big one.

He also made a pre-emptive strike by phoning the police the next morning. Rather than wait for the police to find out about the call and ask him about it, he decided to tell them about it. His willingness to cooperate reduces suspicion.

Now the question is, if he did not know or at least suspect that Gonzalez was behind it...why the need to tell the police about the call?

If he had said, "you know, I call Gonzalez often. In fact, I called him the night of the murder and left a message on his phone. I needed to speak to him about my computer. But I did not reach him and now I know why"....it would have been easier to accept. But the call to the police to tell them that Gonzalez did not return his call until the morning? I think that this shows he knew more than he is telling us.

I agree Gene. Thanks for explaining how a reasonable, rationale person would never report to the police what Tice did. While his sales experience is guiding him, it also may be his downfall IMO.

Now the question is, if he did not know or at least suspect that Gonzalez was behind it...why the need to tell the police about the call?

If he had said, "you know, I call Gonzalez often. In fact, I called him the night of the murder and left a message on his phone. I needed to speak to him about my computer. But I did not reach him and now I know why"....it would have been easier to accept. But the call to the police to tell them that Gonzalez did not return his call until the morning? I think that this shows he knew more than he is telling us.

I think you've already answered your own question. It was part of his pre-emptive strike. Which falls right in with what I've been trying to say.

Also, as sanddollar14 said, it may be his downfall.

I have been reading for a while but am a newbie poster.
I see some inconsistencies in the two interviews that I have seen given by Tice: Dateline & WEAR)
(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32364584/ns/dateline_nbc-crime_reports/page/6/)
(http://www.weartv.com/newsroom/raw_news/videos/vid_137.shtml)

In the WEAR TV, Tice tells Thomas (interviewer) that Billings did everything legal to get his money back, emphasizing, IMO, that while he may have been a "hard nose", Bud stayed within the law. But in the Dateline interview he says he turned Bud in for tax fraud, "Keith Morrison: You claim he was cheating the IRS? Cab Tice: Yes sir. " He downplays the animosity between he and Bud in the local (WEAR) interview, and chastises Rick's Blog for sensationalizing his bad relationship and involvement, but the Dateline interview also states "the animosity between the two became well known."

In the WEAR interview, he really tried to lift up LPG Jr's reputation but in the Dateline interview, he claims Jr was trying to borrow a van from him right before the murders to set him up. In the interview with WEAR, he doesn't mention that LPG Jr. came to see him that afternoon. Maybe that is why he was suspicious of Jr., though he claims that he wasn't?? I agree with previous posters that the phone call to police about Jr. not calling him back is STRANGE. There has to be more to it ...

And he keeps emphasizing how computer illiterate that he is ... just a feeling, but that seems strange.... (not that he would be so, but that he keeps interjecting it in the interviews.)

Just speculation: He says in the WEAR interview that he has been in the Billings home many times. It is possible that he could have supplied information about the home. Or the security system. He obviously knew (or assumed there was a lot of money there) and would have motive to be a part of a robbery to help pay off his loans, especially if they thought they wouldn't be recognized.

Something I read recently said that the Billings were in the living room and were dragged into the bedroom. Somebody had to know where the security cameras weren't????

What if I was indeed calling about computer problems, but it wasn't about printing documents. What if I was having trouble with a remote connection not working properly?

I agree with the thought processes going on here - Tice is playing possum. . .

I'm just wondering if there isn't an even bigger attempt at diversion going on here. Tice knows that his "protege" is behind bars but his "godfather" is very much at large. IMHO all of this talk about the "mexican mafia" is a smoke screen. The real movers and shakers are polo shirts and chinos.

I agree with the thought processes going on here - Tice is playing possum. . .

I'm just wondering if there isn't an even bigger attempt at diversion going on here. Tice knows that his "protege" is behind bars but his "godfather" is very much at large. IMHO all of this talk about the "mexican mafia" is a smoke screen. The real movers and shakers are polo shirts and chinos.

It must have been a pre-planned smokescreen since one of the perps in jail has said they are IN the "mexican mafia" and all of them have brought it up in interviews (according to Sheriff Morgan). The assumption is it's LPG that has made the claim, but it might be worth looking into the others as well. There's no doubt that polo shirts and chinos are probably involved, organized crime always establishes leverage among the local power-brokers.

IMHO all of this talk about the "mexican mafia" is a smoke screen. The real movers and shakers are polo shirts and chinos.

Yes, that would be more consistent with what I have observed around here.
I respect many of the sleuthers here, and am fascinated by the possible South American connections that have been unearthed. But being a local (but less than a decade), it does seem hard to believe that the GOBs are involved directly or controlled by the MM. It just wouldn't fit the character of the area (not exactly prejudiced, but let's say ... suspicious of foreigners ...lol, including northerners..) I can believe the retitled/stolen vehicle theory to other countries and higher ups looking the other way for some personal benefit.

This is just my opinion based on close looks I have taken at other political events in Escambia County. But it will be interesting to see how all this develops and where Tice fits in. I'm open to more facts.

I have been reading for a while but am a newbie poster.
I see some inconsistencies in the two interviews that I have seen given by Tice: Dateline & WEAR)
(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32364584/ns/dateline_nbc-crime_reports/page/6/)
(http://www.weartv.com/newsroom/raw_news/videos/vid_137.shtml)

In the WEAR TV, Tice tells Thomas (interviewer) that Billings did everything legal to get his money back, emphasizing, IMO, that while he may have been a "hard nose", Bud stayed within the law. But in the Dateline interview he says he turned Bud in for tax fraud, "Keith Morrison: You claim he was cheating the IRS? Cab Tice: Yes sir. " He downplays the animosity between he and Bud in the local (WEAR) interview, and chastises Rick's Blog for sensationalizing his bad relationship and involvement, but the Dateline interview also states "the animosity between the two became well known."

In the WEAR interview, he really tried to lift up LPG Jr's reputation but in the Dateline interview, he claims Jr was trying to borrow a van from him right before the murders to set him up. In the interview with WEAR, he doesn't mention that LPG Jr. came to see him that afternoon.

You are not the first to notice inconsistancies:

Tice's comments regarding his relationship to Byrd Billings were "all over the map," Morgan said. "At first they were good friends. Then they had a falling out. It was a confusing statement in that respect."

Things only got more confusing when Tice mentioned his business dealings with "the Mexican mafia" concerning the selling of used cars. According to Morgan, he was indebted to the "mafia" and was behind on payments towards the $50,000 he had borrowed at one time.

Do you think that maybe Sheriff Morgan was watching the interview as well?

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/08/10/crimesider/entry5230162.shtml

What if I was indeed calling about computer problems, but it wasn't about printing documents. What if I was having trouble with a remote connection not working properly?

We are on the same page (read my post #179 above), along with other posters.

We are on the same page (read my post #179 above), along with other posters.

I liked your use of code lingo. Makes sense to me.
Think he's made a few mistakes while trying to cover his tracks. Got to admit he's rather convincing for the most part. Also he keeps dragging in the ex, no matter how much she tries to distance herself.

Anyone know the name of the security company that may have maintained the alarm system?

In the interview, Tice basically said the MM was brought in only cuz of Rick's Blog. I look forward to reading Rick's response to this.

It's been 24 hours... nothing yet...

It's been 24 hours... nothing yet...

Why should Rick respond? Cab Tice brought the Mexican Mafia into it! Tice told Sheriff Morgan about the MM ties with the illegal car sales. Sheriff Morgan also said ALL of the arrested perps have brought up the Mexican Mafia and one of them says they are a member. This is reported outside of Rick's blog. I'm not sure why you would be waiting for a response.

Why should Rick respond? Cab Tice brought the Mexican Mafia into it! Tice told Sheriff Morgan about the MM ties with the illegal car sales. Sheriff Morgan also said ALL of the arrested perps have brought up the Mexican Mafia and one of them says they are a member. This is reported outside of Rick's blog. I'm not sure why you would be waiting for a response.

Tice basically said in his Channel 3 interview that the MM was only brought in and questioned about by ECSO cuz of Rick's blog. He referred to him as an "unknown blogger" and one whom only posted these blogs to increase blog hits and sales of his paper, IIRC. He also said that it was only after Rick's blogs that the ECSO kept trying to connect it to the MM. Though, he did say ECSO knew about his loan to the MM the night of the murders (another contradiction).

BTW - IN is a free paper available at numerous local places.

I'd be surprised if Rick didn't respond to this interview in some way. I believe he was on deadline today as his paper comes out tomorrow, but who knows.

I tried to go back and watch Tice's interview and it's not working on the WEAR site for me. Anyone else having this problem?

The more I read, and hear about Tice ... the more I have to wonder about. What's on my mind at the moment is why he seems to have placed a higher value (if you will) on Melanie Billings. More to the point ... he comes off like "why would I do anything to ever hurt Melanie" ... almost implying that those in the know, know he would never do anything to hurt her. Just something I'm picking up on ... just pressing my nose against the glass here, I'm not one who is in the know lol

The more I read, and hear about Tice ... the more I have to wonder about. What's on my mind at the moment is why he seems to have placed a higher value (if you will) on Melanie Billings. More to the point ... he comes off like "why would I do anything to ever hurt Melanie" ... almost implying that those in the know, know he would never do anything to hurt her. Just something I'm picking up on ... just pressing my nose against the glass here, I'm not one who is in the know lol

Yea, it's kind of like the statement he made in the Dateline interview (previously mentioned):
"That anybody would say that I had anything to do with the murder of Bud or Melanie is a liar," Tice said. "The world lost somebody wonderful in Melanie and Bud Billings did not deserve to be killed in his household."

It is still bugging me ... it adds to the inconsistencies.
That statement does not seem like he was thinking happy thoughts about Bud.

I tried to go back and watch Tice's interview and it's not working on the WEAR site for me. Anyone else having this problem?
The link is working for me: http://www.weartv.com/newsroom/raw_news/videos/vid_137.shtml
BUT ....when I went back to this link there seems to be MORE interview than what I originally was able to watch. Here he does mention JR. asking for a van and Tice also addresses him reporting Billings to the IRS.

The video is now divided in parts: Parts 1, 2 and 3. He finishes off pretty hard against Rick's Blog and the Sheriff. Says he is unemployable because he has been named a person of interest. If you didn't see the 3 part segment, go back and rewatch it. You may have missed part like I did.

I totally believe this is a more likely scenario. He was probably the one who was supposed to disable the video. Didn't LE mention 'someone else' being involved (with regards to disabling the cameras)?

I wouldn't doubt if Tice hadn't forgotten all about that phone call that first night while he was being questioned by LE. In the morning when JR called him was probably when it dawned on him about that call and the ramifications if LE caught it, (which they would have).

A few things come to mind with regard to this Tice person............

A perp often times will tell LE about something BEFORE it is brought up. ie the phone call....................he KNEW that phone call was going to be discovered.

Tice told the interviewer he was very pleased LE had caught the alleged murders so swiftyly (or something like that)
For a guy who was LIKE A FATHER to this JR guy, he sure acts disconnected from him. KWIM? He's pleased they arrested his so called 'friend?

Tice said that Bud took everything he had as payment for what he owed him and he still owed him a LARGE sum of money. Bud wasn't happy with Tice's promise to pay back $2K a month so he went to LE with the 'bad checks.' Then Tice turns Bud into the IRS..................YET, Tice talks about Bud like he's his long lost bestest friend and practically a saint.

THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG with this picture. I'm not buyin' it.

Tice might be a good used car salesman, but, you know what people say about them.....or imply? His tactics might work to sell a lemon to some poor immigrant, but it doesn't work when it comes to murder. BS is BS.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I'm looking forward to seeing just HOW this guy fits into the big picture. It seems he threw JR under the bus with the Dateline interview, maybe JR will spill the beans. He's (JR) the key, imo.

JMHO
fran

PS....I hope you all don't think I've just butted in a month or more into this case. I was here following the breaking news part but then went on vacation, crashed my computer, moved, and had to wait for internet access for my new computer. If I've repeated anything, my apology......fran :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back