Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't have all the links and can't get them right now because I am ellipticallling (word or not?!), BUT I have a theory about the jury's ? This AM:

If you watch the judge reading jury instructions on YouTube croakerqueen day 3 part 2 starting at 14 min (final jury instructions), she reads the paragraph quoted earlier in this thread about letting the judge know if they are not unanimous.

Then watch when the judge gives the final, FINAL jury instructions about the verdict form on YouTube croakerqueen day 3 part 4 (rebuttal and charge to the jury) starting at 10:44- there she describes three boxes for the jury to choose from to check for their verdict (death, life, or "no unanimous agreement").

iMO the jury was going through these instructions and realized that the first part said to tell the judge if they were not unanimous but the second part said to mark the box on the verdict form if they ended up not unanimous. They wanted clarification.

Also, someone earlier posted that they asked "at this stage" in the note to the judge - I think they may have meant "at this phase" - ie during the PENALTY phase ("stage") do they let the judge know if they are not unanimous as they would have done during the GUILT or AGGRAVATION phase ( verdict forms on those did not have a box for "no unanimous agreement" IIRC) or do they check the daggum box on the verdict form?

I think it is a very detail oriented jury and they stumbled upon the conflicting instructions about what to do IF they ever ended up in a position of not being unanimous. I don't blame them for asking for clarification.

Sorry if this is crazy with typos - hard to elliptical and type on iPad "contemporaneously".

This is brilliant, especially since it was signed by the gentleman that folks assume ( or know ) was in the military. I work with a lot of military brass and I can assure you they want every I dotted and every T crossed, and then some. It is thorough and you can be certain that type of man is NOT going to throw in the towel after two hours. I assume they will at least ask for testimony to be read back, clarification on the law, or to see some evidence....something before they just say oh well, see ya. They will decide and they will decide the death penalty, that is what I still feel. They are already on third base by their other verdicts. Have faith. Remain calm friends.

Congrats on your first post and on quitting!

Welcome to our group Rosepetal, and looking forward to hearing more from you.

:wagon:

What is vaping? I need to quit too. ty

I need a cocktail. Any suggestions?

Premeditated extremely cruel murder sounds like DP to me.

Yep, I am drinking Shiner family (variety) pack, but this is what I am on now;

enjoy

shiner_hefeweizen.jpg

Common sense: If you were on that jury and were sticking to your opposing belief, would you sit there for this much additional time being convinced by anyone else? NOPE. No one on that jury is going to hang this up. No one who is voting for Life would sit there this long and listen to the opposing argument if they weren't able to budge....

Take a deep breath!

Here's how I'm comforting myself:

1). The jury is still deliberating hours after that note, so they are not giving up

2). IF the jury gives her life, the judge will give her LWOP, no way she'll ever get out.

3.). Cocoa Krispies, bacon, and toast with grape jelly for dinner

4). I have total faith in the jury. Even if they give her life, I think she will have a real hard time in prison given her arrogance. I personally think she'll get cut down to size pretty quickly. Her arrogance and big mouth will get her in trouble. Unfortunately, there will be weaker prisoners that she will torture too.

If the jury gives her life, I'm going to be very sad for the Alexanders, but I will still respect their decision.

Still hoping for DP....

OK, I am back home from seeing a patient. Last verdict was after I got home from seeing same patient, on a Wednesday. Lets git 'er done!

I have a really dumb question. Forgive me, as I had a lot going on when the trial initially started and I wasn't following like I am now.

When they were selecting a jury and they were in the voir dire process, wouldn't they have asked the potential jurors if they had a problem with giving a death penalty verdict?

Yes, they had to become DP qualified.

The judge told them yesterday when they were given the case that they first needed to select their hours and let her know....then she encouraged them to go over the jury instructions.....I think they took yesterday to set their hours and started today going over the instructions.....way to early to be hung....they have got this...they have to!

Adding to my earlier post below. Added part is in italics

QUOTE=zoozoo;9481108]Don't have all the links and can't get them right now because I am ellipticallling (word or not?!), BUT I have a theory about the jury's ? This AM:

If you watch the judge reading jury instructions on YouTube croakerqueen day 3 part 2 starting at 14 min (final jury instructions), she reads the paragraph quoted earlier in this thread about letting the judge know if they are not unanimous. Here is the quote posted earlier and attributed to azcental although I have NOT been able to confirm it is an accurate quote so please consider that:
The jury sent a handwritten note on an official question form to the judge. It said: “If the jury is unable to come to a unanimous decision @ this stage, do we notify the judge of this on the form (verdict) or do we just tell the judge her instruction on the bottom P. 10 on the final jury Instruction-Penalty phase?”

IMO the "her" in "... tell the judge her instruction on the bottom of P.10" is a typo and should read "per".

Then watch when the judge gives the final, FINAL jury instructions about the verdict form on YouTube croakerqueen day 3 part 4 (rebuttal and charge to the jury) starting at 10:44- there she describes three boxes for the jury to choose from to check for their verdict (death, life, or "no unanimous agreement").

iMO the jury was going through these instructions and realized that the first part said to tell the judge if they were not unanimous but the second part said to mark the box on the verdict form if they ended up not unanimous. They wanted clarification.

Also, someone earlier posted that they asked "at this stage" in the note to the judge - I think they may have meant "at this phase" - ie during the PENALTY phase ("stage") do they let the judge know if they are not unanimous as they would have done during the GUILT or AGGRAVATION phase ( verdict forms on those did not have a box for "no unanimous agreement" IIRC) or do they check the daggum box on the verdict form?

I think it is a very detail oriented jury and they stumbled upon the conflicting instructions about what to do IF they ever ended up in a position of not being unanimous. I don't blame them for asking for clarification.

Sorry if this is crazy with typos - hard to elliptical and type on iPad "contemporaneously".[/QUOTE]

Lol, this is me:

Doctor: Do you drink?

Me: No, I used to...Well, occasionally, on holidays....Sometimes on weekends.....I might buy a bottle of wine after a long day....Yes, I'm a total booze hound.

Instead of what you want to say...it's none of your business.

Yes, this makes the most sense!! It explains why they'd come in so soon, how it was a question, and why they said "@ this stage."

Exactly! That has been the part that bothered me all d@mn day! Thank you a million times zoozoo!!:rockon:

I am very concerned. Day almost over. If they dont do it Today I think they will throw in the towel tomorrow

I was worrying that CMJA might convince someone on the parole board that this was a one-time thing, an isolated incident, never to happen again, and she'd be let out.

But think of all the people, Travis Alexander's friends and family, who saw right away that Jodi was weird, and really, really "off" (I think at least one friend told him she was probably dangerous!). I doubt she'd be able to fool everyone on a parole board, who are trained to spot the most professional of liars - which Jodi is.

An adenoid is a useless gland. I'm a useless man. Subtle distinction.

Oh I beg to differ, you are not useless; your possible contributions have yet to be discovered. There could be something...

LoveYaMeanIt Noid.

Is court going to be on for tomorrow? or not till after next Monday! I hope not that long!

My weatherbug went off for SE MI. I'm in a basement apt. It must have thundered, it knocked this horrible dish tv out( back on ). 1 thunder that's all we got.

My weatherbug went off for SNOW :eek:
We've dropped 20+ degrees since lunchtime!! Its pouring and very windy....got the garden covered.....hope it makes it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa