Canada - Laura Babcock, 23, Toronto, 26 June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have an ipad but for anyone that does, maybe you can answer this: We know that the ipad and sim belonged to SL but is it free to use or something? Otherwise, wouldn't he get a bill with details of when used, etc.?

I think the iPads with sims play a flat fee for data usage. I don't *think* they break down the data usage by "session" the way a phone bill is broken down into individual calls and messages. And when the iPad was using wifi, it would not even be measuring the data usage.

IIRC, SL said that LB took his iPad. On the iPad under settings>privacy there is location services. If that is turned on, SL could use it to find his iPad. There is also an app called Find My iPhone to find any iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Mac that he or LE could use to find his iPad using another iOS device. While finding the iPad does not necessarily mean that is where LB is but it may give a clue to her general location. If someone else has the iPad then perhaps they may have information where she it. I doubt it but it is a possibility.

bbm
I thought so too!

Wait? Is her SIM card still in his IPad and not in her phone? I assumed it was given back to her to put back into her phone.

I recall reading about the iPad but not a SIM card. An iPad does not need a SIM card if Wi-Fi only ($100 cheaper than one with SIM card slot) and the one with the SIM will work on Wi-Fi without SIM as well simply by turning on the Wi-Fi on the device. If she put her own SIM card in assuming the iPad she was using had a SIM slot then it was likely only for her contacts and possibly stored passwords but not necessarily connecting through her own ISP. That could be done via a free Wi-Fi hot spot. At any rate the device can be located via a couple of location services without a SIM card and using another iOS device.

I recall reading about the iPad but not a SIM card. An iPad does not need a SIM card if Wi-Fi only ($100 cheaper than one with SIM card slot) and the one with the SIM will work on Wi-Fi without SIM as well simply by turning on the Wi-Fi on the device. If she put her own SIM card in assuming the iPad she was using had a SIM slot then it was likely only for her contacts and possibly stored passwords but not necessarily connecting through her own ISP. That could be done via a free Wi-Fi hot spot. At any rate the device can be located via a couple of location services without a SIM card and using another iOS device.

Thank you!! so ..... begs the question....did he even try?

I think the iPads with sims play a flat fee for data usage. I don't *think* they break down the data usage by "session" the way a phone bill is broken down into individual calls and messages. And when the iPad was using wifi, it would not even be measuring the data usage.

Somewhere I saw reference to Rogers with respect to SL and LB. If so, Rogers has/had a $5 per month add on data plan for iPads if you have an iPhone with them. I only know this because we were looking at adding that plan last year.

Ah, thanks! I assumed connecting wifi would be free but I thought the sim would have to be linked to a credit card to top up for data use.

Can you link something, or is it just an assumption?

I wasn't assuming anything. I was just trying to clarify the post that I quoted.
Seems my question has been answered.

I know SL "loaned" the ipad to LB but I wonder if the fact she did not bring it back would have been enough of a probable cause for a subpoena? By basically calling it "stolen". I imagine, as her friend, he would hate to do that though. I have my doubts that would be enough of a reason for them to issue the subpoena anyway but if it was possible, it would have been worth it.

I also wondered why, if it was SL's iPad and also his sim card, why Rogers would even need a subpoena to track it. He would be asking for information on his own products.

I recall reading about the iPad but not a SIM card. An iPad does not need a SIM card if Wi-Fi only ($100 cheaper than one with SIM card slot) and the one with the SIM will work on Wi-Fi without SIM as well simply by turning on the Wi-Fi on the device. If she put her own SIM card in assuming the iPad she was using had a SIM slot then it was likely only for her contacts and possibly stored passwords but not necessarily connecting through her own ISP. That could be done via a free Wi-Fi hot spot. At any rate the device can be located via a couple of location services without a SIM card and using another iOS device.[/QUOTE]

Well, he did say something about asking LE to investigate but no mention if he tried. He could have used Find My iPhone (neat program that locates device and can disable it using another iOS device), iCloud or location services. But if he had the iPad to give to LE for them to investigate, there wouldn't be a need for locating. So, I took it that he wanted LE to check the data usage for possible clues as to where LB is. The problem is without some idea of where she was at that time like someone seeing her at a a particular Wi-Fi hot spot, LE wouldn't begin to know where to look. I doubt Wi-Fi hot spots keep logs for any real length of time and while technically a computer could be traced, you would have to know it was used at that hot spot. Now, if she used a hot spot that required log in as in some truck stops, she could easily set up an account with an alias and pre-paid credit card for a certain period of online access. Adding to this, it is quite possible to pick up a Wi-Fi connection from an unsecured connection. This is surprisingly rather common when driving through larger cities so technically using someone's unsecured ISP. If she was in a motel, she could get their access as well but again not necessarily using her own name. Chances are very good if she went into hiding for whatever reason, she would use Wi-Fi hot spots and not connect to her own ISP data plan or log into any previously existing online accounts that could be traced with a subpoena. What this means is even with the device, LE likely wouldn't have a place to start looking.

In his post he states he didn't have the locator service turned on.
Somewhere I saw reference to Rogers with respect to SL and LB. If so, Rogers has/had a $5 per month add on data plan for iPads if you have an iPhone with them. I only know this because we were looking at adding that plan last year.

I also wondered why, if it was SL's iPad and also his sim card, why Rogers would even need a subpoena to track it. He would be asking for information on his own products.
He states that Rogers told him he would need a subpoena. Privacy laws are funny. I can see where they would want verification from LE of grounds to search someone else's whereabouts.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/448222475198966/permalink/449184785102735/

If you read further in Bessie's link, SL says that he did not have Find my iPad or any other apps installed.

Find My iPhone is an add on app but iCloud comes installed on iPads and location services as well so he could have used either of those. Location services is part of the OS for location dependent apps on the device. It can be turned off under settings>privacy. There are several sites explaining how to locate your device using iCloud which can also be used to lock the device to prevent further use.

In his post he states he didn't have the locator service turned on.

He states that Rogers told him he would need a subpoena. Privacy laws are funny. I can see where they would want verification from LE of grounds to search someone else's whereabouts.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/448222475198966/permalink/449184785102735/

It sounds like he didn't know how to use iCloud which comes on all iPads and doesn't require locator service normally turned off by default to be turned on. Turning the locator service on can be done via accessing iCloud using another device. So what he would do is log onto his iCloud account, turn on Find My iPad, then click to find the iPad from there and lock it. There is also an option using this method to wipe the iPad clean (erase all data) which can be restored via iCloud in the event the iPad is recovered. The whole procedure is really quite simple requiring only his Apple ID and password.

Now, the issue with Rogers sounds a bit off. If it is his iPad and his Rogers account then they can give him that information without a subpoena. We had a problem with data usage being shown during the time we were in flight. They had no problem revealing that data information as well as reversing the charges. I don't know how long they keep logs for though. At any rate, if LB was using the iPad, she could easily have done so without using his Rogers account as well as his or her's SIM card so there would be nothing for Rogers to reveal anyway.

Find My iPhone is an add on app but iCloud comes installed on iPads and location services as well so he could have used either of those. Location services is part of the OS for location dependent apps on the device. It can be turned off under settings>privacy. There are several sites explaining how to locate your device using iCloud which can also be used to lock the device to prevent further use.

Does the default come with it turned on? I wonder if he just didn't know about that option.

Thanks, broken_angel. I see you've already answered my question.

Does the default come with it turned on? I wonder if he just didn't know about that option.

Thanks, broken_angel. I see you've already answered my question.

You're prompted whether or not to enable it when you first set up an iOS device.

You're prompted whether or not to enable it when you first set up an iOS device.

You can turn both on and off any time you want just in case you don't enable it when setting up the device.

You can turn on location services on or off under settings>privacy. It would need to be on for the stand alone app Find My iPad.

You can turn the built in Find My iPad on or off under settings>iCloud. If it is turned off on the iPad and the iPad is lost or stolen, go to www.icloud.com using another device. Sign in with your Apple ID. You can then turn Find My iPad on through iCloud to find your iPad. It's a nice little security feature.

icloud became available in Canada in June 2011. Many people did not immediately subscribe. It sounds like he might not have turned it on at that point.

moo

I was referring to Location Services, and my original answer to the question "is it on by default?" still stands:

By "default" you are prompted whether you want to enable Location Services the first time you set up an iOS device.

I'm not talking about iCloud, or the ability to turn Location Services on or off after the fact. Just the "default" state...which is whatever you set it to the first time you set the device up.

I was referring to Location Services, and my original answer to the question "is it on by default?" still stands:

By "default" you are prompted whether you want to enable Location Services the first time you set up an iOS device.

I'm not talking about iCloud, or the ability to turn Location Services on or off after the fact. Just the "default" state...which is whatever you set it to the first time you set the device up.

It's been awhile since I set up the iPad but I believe the default for location services is off. It is turned on, on a per app need when prompted. At that time you can turn it on or leave it off but if off the app can't use your location.

The default for Find My iPad in iCloud is off. It's turned on or off on the device itself or through iCloud on another device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419