WY WY - Carlene Brown, 19, Rawlins, 4 July 1974

Ah, I thought she was with the Lewiston murders.

Do we know for sure Carlene wasn't bi-racial? I thought the most recent information was that she had been adopted as an infant and her biological background was uncertain.

edited to add: I went and reread the article at http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/127339528.html. It says Caucasion or multiracial:

In 1983, another skull was found just a mile from where the two girls' remains were located, he said. Though investigators were able to determined that the skull belonged to a Caucasian or possibly multi-racial female in her late teens or early 20s, they were never able to match an identity to the remains. Semrad said he has a hunch the cases are related, but at this point nothing solid to connect them.

Oneida County Jane Doe's NamUs page: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/13607, who was found not far from where Patricia Campbell and Tina Anderson's bodies had been found. She currently does not have DNA available, but does have a dental chart pending entry into NamUs. She still does not have a thread.

Pretty sure this is new. The last I heard, they were going through all kinds of paperwork and hassle trying to unseal her records so they could try to locate blood relatives, preferably maternal. Maybe there's progress!

I'm hoping it's new and means there's been some progress in their search for her biological family.

During a seven week period in the summer of 1974, 4 girls were abducted and presumably murdered. They include Carlene Brown 19, Christy Gross

Let me try this again

During a 7 week period of the summit of 1974, 4 girls were abducted from Rawlings Wy. The were Carlene Brown 19, Christy Gross, 19, Jaylene Banker, 10, and Debra Meyer, 15.

This was before the word "serial killer" had entered national lexicon and Police wrote off missing young people as "runaways". Only the missing 10 year old was considered a crime victim at the time. This was before the FBI or even the state police got involved. It was entirely the jurisdiction of the Rawlings PD and they had no idea how to handle such a case.

Royal Russel Brown, who is believed to have killed several young women in the Rocky Mountain area and Oklahoma, was living in Rawlings at the time but there is no evidence linking him to this case and his name never came up during the active investigation.

There was also a cluster of abductions/murders of young girls in Pocatello I'd. They bare some similarities but no obvious connection.

There was also a cluster of killings in Lewiston Id. They were different and there is a strong suspect.

These all occurred in the 1970's in same basic region (but hundreds of miles apart) so in small towns that do not normally have much of this sort of crime so they are often linked or confused with each other. Each "cluster" makes an interesting study and are well documented in Websleuths and other on line sites but they have all gone cold years ago and are not likely to be solved.

They went missing from Rawlins, WY, the body of the friend was found in Sinclair, but the car was found in Worland which is a 3-4 hour drive from Rawlins?

That's a long drive and a lot of road. He could've dumped Brown's body anywhere in that radius.

If anyone is interested, I am attaching the article I copied from Wyoming State archives about remains being positively identified as Christy Gross, the young lady who went missing with Carlene Brown.Capture4.JPG

Very interesting article. I wonder who the one suspect is they didn't name but believed the murderer to be.
Thanks for posting that.

Very interesting article. I wonder who the one suspect is they didn't name but believed the murderer to be.
Thanks for posting that.

Probably Royal Russell Long, a serial killer truck driver and rodeo/carnival worker who lived in Rawlings during the summer of 1974 when four teenage girls went missing (two who were later found deceased). 5 of his known victims have never been found, including Carlene. Here are the four others:

Deborah Rae Meyer:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/749dfwy.html

Charlotte Kinsey:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/174dfok.html

Cinda Pallett
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/175dfok.html

Sharon Badeagle
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/167dfsd.html

I wish could know for certain that there was a DNA sample for her Carlene out there somewhere that is underway.

I wish could know for certain that there was a DNA sample for her Carlene out there somewhere that is underway.
We know for certain there isn't. She was adopted and they haven't been able to trace her biological family.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

We know for certain there isn't. She was adopted and they haven't been able to trace her biological family.

Yes, I recall she was adopted but I was hoping the DNA status meant perhaps some of her biological family had been found recently. I can't remember that it was always listed as initial inquiry underway.

Yes, I recall she was adopted but I was hoping the DNA status meant perhaps some of her biological family had been found recently. I can't remember that it was always listed as initial inquiry underway.
Oh, that's true. I hadn't made the connection. I hope you're right!

Oh, that's true. I hadn't made the connection. I hope you're right!

One of the reasons I was hopeful was because, 5 years ago, someone was going to petition WY to contact Carlene's birth family to give a sample for CODIS and still stay anonymous, but they never updated the blog with the results. I was hoping the DNA status meant they'd been successful:
Just because I figured I had nothing to lose by asking, I contacted the University of Wyoming’s Law Clinic – they do pro bono cases and offer legal advice to those who are unable to afford private counsel. I explained the predicament, and that I would like to know how to request a confidential intermediary to request a DNA sample from her biological family – their identities wouldn’t even need to be released, but their DNA could be entered for comparison, and there’d at least be a chance that her case could someday be solved. Carlene’s parents would likely be in at least their 60’s now, so I thought it would be a good time to attempt to get the ball rolling. We shall see.

https://whereaboutsstillunknown.wordpress.com/2013/04/10/carlene-brown/#respond

Also, Charley lists her birthdate, but do we know for sure she was born in WY?
http://charleyproject.org/case/carlene-brown

I thought she was born in another state--for some reason I'm remembering Colorado. But maybe there's been new information. If she was adopted as an infant, her parents might have been told her real birth date, or they might have used her adoption date as a birth date.

I thought she was born in another state--for some reason I'm remembering Colorado. But maybe there's been new information. If she was adopted as an infant, her parents might have been told her real birth date, or they might have used her adoption date as a birth date.

Her mother lived in CO, her father in WY.

ETA: Her geographic location is why I want her DNA on file so badly - it matches Terry Rasmussen's a little. He was born in CO and his grandfather was born in WY, and when he was telling his tales, TR said he was born in WY. Her friend, Christy, died from blunt force trauma to the head, and I would really like to rule out Carlene as the middle child's mother. Far reaching, I know, but it's a theory. :)

Her mother lived in CO, her father in WY.

ETA: Her geographic location is why I want her DNA on file so badly - it matches Terry Rasmussen's a little. He was born in CO and his grandfather was born in WY, and when he was telling his tales, TR said he was born in WY. Her friend, Christy, died from blunt force trauma to the head, and I would really like to rule out Carlene as the middle child's mother. Far reaching, I know, but it's a theory. :)
Yeah, it has been assumed they were Long's victims but that's an interesting alternative possibility,.

I do hope her DNA is put on file because I’ve been visiting her Doe network page and it says that her dental information is available it does not say anything about her DNA being available. In a month Carlene will have been missing for 44 years now and she still has not been found it is truly a sad case that I hope comes to some sort of resolution.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back