20 Year Anniversary of the Terror Attacks on 9/11/01

steeltowngirl

Reaction score
Starting a thread to commemorate the 20th anniversary of 9/11 attack.

Here is one story I never knew about until today, while doing some reading.

Lt. Heather Penney was sent on an unarmed ‘kamikaze’ mission to bring down Flight 93 if necessary. Her dad was a United airlines pilot. The plane she was gonna ram might have been piloted by her own dad. She didn’t know.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...8cddbc-d8ce-11e0-9dca-a4d231dfde50_story.html

Starting a thread to commemorate the 20th anniversary of 9/11 attack.

Here is one story I never knew about until today, while doing some reading.

Lt. Heather Penney was sent on an unarmed ‘kamikaze’ mission to bring down Flight 93 if necessary. Her dad was a United airlines pilot. The plane she was gonna ram might have been piloted by her own dad. She didn’t know.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...8cddbc-d8ce-11e0-9dca-a4d231dfde50_story.html

Hi STG :)

Thanks for starting this thread and for sharing this.

Excellent story!!!

A fave positive story about Salty & Roselle:

Salty_and_roselle.jpg

image from wikipedia

Salty, a relative of Wrangler’s, led blind owner to safety from 71st floor on 9/11

Heroes, they led many people to safety!

20TH ANNIVERSARY

Tomorrow is the opening day for the Still Standing – Still Free exhibit of historic photos by Joe Pisciotta, Sean Kelley and Bob Pugh honoring our heroic first responders and victims of the 9/11 attack at the Pentagon. The free exhibit will be shown for an entire month at the Fashion Centre Mall at Pentagon City (main level near Macy's) from September 11 - October 11, 2021. To learn more about the exhibit and the photographers, visit the website at www.stillstandingstillfree.org.

Wow. An unsung hero of 9/11. I hope Salty enjoys a special treat today in doggie heaven. 20 years ago, he saved his owner’s life.

That made me tear up. Good boy, Salty!

I can't find the story -- but remember reading that between them, these dogs brought at least 75 people to safety. Apparently the stairwells were smoky &/or dusty, an adult's eyes were in a cloud. Wide people figured out the the dogs knew what to do & followed the dogs & their owners to safety.

Good boy, Salty! Good girl, Roselle!

Spotlighting Roselle this morning. 78 floors to safety.

Michael was working as regional sales manager and head of operations for Quantum/ATL, a data-protection agency, on the 78th floor of the North Tower. Michael set up the conference room for their breakfast meeting as Roselle took her position near the door to greet people.

Moments later, when Flight 11 crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center, Roselle was sleeping at Michael’s feet underneath his desk. As the tower swayed and a loud boom rattled the office, Roselle remained very calm, which Michael said made him feel like he was in no imminent danger. The pair proceeded to walk down 78 flights of stairs together and successfully evacuated the building before its collapse at 10:28 a.m.

Michael and Roselle: A Story of Teamwork and Trust on 9/11 | National September 11 Memorial & Museum

When Leslie Whittington and Charles Falkenberg boarded American Airlines Flight 77 on the morning of September 11, 2001, their biggest concern was how they would keep two little girls entertained for the 22-hour trip to Australia.

But an hour and 17 minutes after take-off, the plane, which was hijacked by five Al Qaeda-affiliated terrorists, crashed into the Pentagon.

Everyone on board was killed, including Ms Whittington, Mr Falkenberg and their daughters, Zoe and Dana.

Three-year-old Dana was the youngest victim on the plane.

She and her eight-year-old sister were among eight children who died during the terrorist attacks on 9/11.

As she boarded her flight, Leslie posted a card to her sister. By the time it arrived, she was dead

When the World Trade Center collapsed on September 11, 2001, nearly 10,000 emergency rescue workers joined in the efforts to help. More than 300 of those heroes were dogs.

We remember and honor the Hero Dogs of 9/11 along with the countless people who had their lives irrevocably changed by man’s best friend. From search and rescue dogs to comfort dogs to bomb detection dogs, these canines’ stories of courage and healing are a long-lasting legacy that must never be forgotten.

Always remember.

Remembering the Hero Dogs of 9/11 - The Dogington Post

This day 20 years ago is forever etched in my mind. I remember where I was, the shock the fear, the sadness, and the unease as later that day I looked to the sky which was actually a beautiful blue. A beauty unable to be fully embraced as there were no planes in the air, and the environment around me felt silent.

A few years I ago I went to the 911 memorial and felt the same silence and chill as I did the day of 9/11/01.

Thoughts and prayers to all who lost friends and loved ones on this tragic day. Accolades to the first responders and those responding without official training to help their fellow man. Out of tragedy there was a love, a compassion, a united spirit that I wish we could bottle up to show future generations. Words can not illustrate the true glorious beauty of the compassion that day and the days following.

Peace be with all today and thanks @steeltowngirl for starting this thread.

Flight 93 National Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)

A common field one day. A field of honor forever.

Because of the actions of the 40 passengers and crew aboard one of the planes, Flight 93, the attack on the U.S. Capitol was thwarted.

Flight 93 crashed into the serene western PA countryside in Somerset County near Shanksville at 10:03 am September 11, 2001. Passengers learned earlier during the flight from Newark to San Francisco about the preceding 3 planes that had been diverted into the Twin Towers and the Pentagon.

This plane was believed to be intended to crash into the US Capitol Building.
Flight 93 was the last plane to be brought down as part of the evil intent that day.
40 innocent victims perished. Based on communications of family members with the passengers on that plane during the hijacking, it appears that a group of passengers did their best to hijack the hijackers, and the plane went down well short of the intended target, and into a field where no one on the ground was hurt.

I had the honor of visiting this hallowed ground several years ago when I returned to the place of my birth, Johnstown PA, some 30 minutes from this site.
There is the presence of God and greatness as you gaze upon the peaceful rolling hills where these 40 heroes died. May they forever Rest In Peace.

Never forget.

Flight 93 National Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)

I had the honor of visiting this hallowed ground several years ago when I returned to the place of my birth, Johnstown PA, some 30 minutes from this site.
There is the presence of God and greatness as you gaze upon the peaceful rolling hills where these 40 heroes died. May they forever Rest In Peace.

Never forget.
RBBM...I felt it.

I also visited on my way to a wedding in Pittsburg. All I could feel and think, at the time was I was standings on "Hallowed Ground. "

I will Never forget. I pray our country holds together.

Last edited:
While all the events of 9/11 were horrific, I just can't get over the dozens of Cantor Fitzgerald traders hanging out of the upper floor windows of the North Tower signaling for help. I watched National Geographic's "9/11: One Day in America" mini-series the other day and one of the guys in the NYPD (or FDNY?) helicopter seemed to suggest there was a spot on the building's roof where it would have been safe to conduct rooftop rescues but that there was no one there to rescue....because the roof access door would not unlock. It's just incredibly frustrating. Many of these people were in their 20s and 30s. Why did they have to die?

To anyone on WS who lost a family member or friend on 9/11, there's never getting over it, but I hope you're not carrying the burden of that day and that the past 20 years have brought you peace and strength.

Rosemary Smith walked down 57 floors in a dark, smoke-filled stairwell to escape the north tower—in 1993, after terrorists set off a bomb at the World Trade Center. To celebrate her survival and boost her courage as she returned to work in the north tower, Smith bought herself a present: a gold ring set with sapphires and diamonds. On 9/11, as her co-workers began evacuating, Smith stayed to forward calls to the answering machine—and didn’t make it out in time. Smith’s watch was found with her remains, on Christmas Eve, 2001.

Artifacts pulled from the rubble of 9/11 become symbols of what was lost

I watched much of the coverage yesterday and we ended the day watching "Come from Away" I had been to Toronto fall before pandemic hit to see it. Apparently the plan was to make it into a movie using some of the Newfoundland locals as extras. Covid changed that plan. A live production was filmed instead. A time when the world came together. If you have not seen it I would invite you to do so.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back